Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Margate Resort Disaster

Friends of ours were in the area for a wedding the end of August and booked a 3 night stay at the Margate "RESORT". There was an uninvited guest in the form of a mouse, and nobody on staff was of any use getting rid of the critter. The management didn't want to make any concessions on the bill, but FINALLY gave them a credit of 50% off one of the 3 nights. I would call that inadequate compensation, especially since they had to nag to get even that!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Margate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Friends of ours were in the area for a wedding the end of August and booked a 3 night stay at the Margate "RESORT". There was an uninvited guest in the form of a mouse, and nobody on staff was of any use getting rid of the critter. The management didn't want to make any concessions on the bill, but FINALLY gave them a credit of 50% off one of the 3 nights. I would call that inadequate compensation, especially since they had to nag to get even that!
I've lived in the area for nearly 40 years, and have never heard a good thing about the Margate. I've known several people who have stayed only one night while committing to multiple nights because it was so bad. I always steer friends to the Mills Falls/Church Landing facilities. While expensive, I've never received bad reviews.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Probably inadequate but I'd hardly call a mouse a disaster, even as much as I dont like seeing them in my living space. A room change would have been in order.
chipj29 (09-09-2016), Doobs41378 (09-08-2016), Old Hubbard Rd (09-08-2016), secondcurve (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Really? Come on... Because of a mouse, your friends want compensation?? Really????? Now I can understand giving them a bad review, because they staff was not attentive.... But if we are talking about a single mouse here, and not a infestation, what the big deal....

There is either more to this story, like the bed being covered in mouse poop or something... Or you and your friends are making a mountain out of a mole hill....
Doobs41378 (09-08-2016), Old Hubbard Rd (09-08-2016), SAB1 (09-08-2016), secondcurve (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
bilproject

Default Going on for a long time

Had different guests stay there 3 times over three years. Same story each time mice in the room staff did not care. There is never just one mouse the place is infested. Four years same story the walls must be filled with mouse excrement. Place is a dump.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bilproject For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (09-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Rattler

Agree that the mouse is minor stuff, but the Margate is, in my opinion, one of the worst resorts in the area. It is, as a poster says, a dump.

It's apparent that the owners spend very little on maintenance, improvements or upgrades. The place needs a major facelift.

The Margate staff is more than uncaring -- surly is maybe a better description.

It's too bad -- they have one of the best locations on the lake. However, like many businesses in the lakes region that cater to tourists, it appears that they choose to keep their after-expenses income as profit and invest very little in repairs, maintenance, improvements or expansion.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
Had different guests stay there 3 times over three years. Same story each time mice in the room staff did not care. There is never just one mouse the place is infested. Four years same story the walls must be filled with mouse excrement. Place is a dump.
They stayed three times and saw a mouse each time? I can see giving them a second chance but wouldn't you say the hell with the place after the second time????? It's not ok to be seeing mice in your room but shame on them for going back THREE times...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

No....they were booked for 3 nights in one visit...saw mouse last night there....had minor child with them. This was not a "disaster" in the true sense, but the staff basically did nothing, and management clearly didn't care. These people will not go back. The original post was to get the message out there.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
dave603

Default Needed to be said.

We were going to stay there for a weekend getaway, but not after looking at their Yelp and a few other site reviews.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
They stayed three times and saw a mouse each time? I can see giving them a second chance but wouldn't you say the hell with the place after the second time????? It's not ok to be seeing mice in your room but shame on them for going back THREE times...
They stated different guests.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
They stated different guests.
Yup your right, my bad!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
radioman

Default Margate Disaster

If you see a mouse in the room (especially during the day) as others have said, a infestation is probable. Be certain to stay away from the dining room as mice are searching for food.
Where is the Laconia Health Dept??? When needed!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
ITD

Mice is a big deal to me, I would not stay there. Mice are nasty creatures, they do a lot of damage and spread disease. When you see one, there are 10 more where that one came from.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I will assume that they saw the mouse on their last day there. Given that, $100 off the bill for seeing a mouse is not a bad deal.

Now if they saw the mouse on the 1st or 2nd day of their visit and stayed the remaining days, that is an entirely different story.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
rick35

Default Different critters - Different hotel

Several years ago my wife and I spent a weekend in New York City. We stayed at a higher end Marriott right in Times Square. It was a really nice hotel but we heard noises that sounded like critters. When I was telling the front desk guy about it one of the other front desk guys heard the discussion and joined us. He almost laughed when we told him our room number which didn't make me feel better. Then he told us that Sea World was going to be on Good Morning America the next morning and had the room right above us and had baby penguins in the tub. Now thats infestation I would love to have seen! I didnt get a break on the room.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
dave603

Default NEW YORK City?

Hope you didn't get the Salsa there!

Besides that I wouldn't expect bad things to happen in a big city, including bad things that have happened to me even in Boston big priced hotels I've stayed in.

I do expect some place clean and nice at a so called resort in New Hampshire.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #17
Hillcountry

Perhaps it should be renamed "The Mousegate Rodent Resort"
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #18
acg123

My family has vacationed at the Margate for a week each summer for almost 10 years. We rent 2 rooms, and have never seen anything like the original poster. We look all over for other options, but always end up at the Margate. The main reason is the location, beach and docks. The service is so-so, the facilities are ok, and the price is reasonable. We have had the occasional issue, and I agree that they are not good at responding to any specific customer concerns. I'd add that they over-chlorinate the indoor pool, so make sure any kids wear goggles. But in the end, the kids have a blast, the beach and docks are very convenient, and I'm always happy when I'm on the lake!
acg123 is offline   Reply With Quote