Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
kawishiwi

Default Where to winter in Florida?

Just got back from a week in FLA. Drove all over the southern part. Some was great some not so much. I am considering winters down there but dont know much about where to look.
Any of you have info to share? Would like good fishing freshwater and or inshore protected waters or both. Any opionions appreciated!
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
bruinsfan

Good Luck !

South of Orlando is not what is used to be.

Couldn't give me a house for free.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
tpabrad

I live in Tampa. All major areas in the state are going through a lot of growth right now. I have a few family members who spend winters down in the Ft Myers area and seem to like it down there. The area from Sarasota down to Naples is pretty nice and more low key. A lot less touristy. Wouldn't go any further south and would stay away from Orlando
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tpabrad For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
8gv

Tierra Verde, which is a group of islands just southwest of St Pete.

For boating you have Tampa Bay, the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. You can keep your own boat in a high and dry or join a boat club.

I don't fish much while in FL but there are plenty of red fish, grouper and sea trout to be had. An hour's drive inland will get you bass fishing.

There are two nice beaches close by. Fort DeSoto is five minutes and Pass a Grille is fifteen. Additionally, there are beaches best reached by boat including Shell Island and Egmont Key. (There is also a nude boater's sandbar but I found it to be unappealing.)

There are several restaurants on Tierra Verde which are both good and convenient.

Nearby you can go see plenty of baseball spring training. In season, the Tampa Bay Rays play in a climate controlled stadium (the Trop) about 20 minutes away. The NFL and NHL have teams there as well.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
brk-lnt

My parents have been spending winters in Ft Myers and seem to like that general area. The wife and I are in the process of looking at properties in the St. Pete area.

As other have said, I wouldn't go near Orlando.

Personally, I love Miami Beach, but it's more pricey.

Boca/West Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale is a nice stretch on the east coast of FL, but we seem to prefer the Gulf side.

IMO, the Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota region has good property values, lots to do in the area, great boating access and a good vibe. Sarasota is a little more "retirement" vibe than St. Pete.
kawishiwi (03-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

This is a similar question to "which town around the lake is best"!! I love the energy of Miami, however there will be many that say they hate the place. I think the best course of action may be to rent here and there until you find that place you never want to leave!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
dpg

Clearwater Beach area!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
itchin for fishin

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to boat or fish, or are you just a beach person. Are you a golfer and how much do you want to play? Do you want urban activity with lots of restaurants, shopping etc? Answers to those questions can greatly influence where you look.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Miromar Lakes Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11NobdBXqY

This place is amazing!!! Everything about it is wonderful especially the people you will meet. Contact me if you have a interest or any questions 617-969-0676 Dino
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hubbard Rd For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

My wife and I looked at the Naples and Marco Island area last year when we were looking at investing in some real estate. While expensive, we did like Marco island a lot! It's almost all canal homes and you really need to know the area or get a GOOD realtor to help you out. Depending on which section of Marco your looking at, really depends on the size of boat you can have. The further inland you go the more bridges you must go under with various size limitations.

Naples was nice (expensive) and would eliminate some of the Marco Island traffic...

Good luck!

Dan
kawishiwi (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Duke's

We just spent a month on Marco Island and loved it! We've always rented in Naples, but liked Marco better. It's less congested, more casual and there are great Happy Hours. We're already booked for next year.
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duke's For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
AB_Monterey

I am sitting in Englewood, FL right now.

I wouldn't stay in Orlando on a dare. The traffic is unbearable. Same with Tampa.

SWF is slower and quieter. Depends on what you are looking for.

I love Punta Gorda. Parts of Clearwater are really great too.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
dickiej

I'm in the Keys right now. 77 degrees and sunny. Lots of saltwater fishing. Tropical. I love this area. Marathon.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-03-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
LongshotLombard

Cool

I'm going to Sarasota for a week then to Pompino. Sarasota is the quiet side and Ft Lauderdale is the Party crowd. Always good to get out of Boston! Summer in Meridith is Bomb!
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #15
Rag Top Daze

Default Condo available to rent for next winter

Hutchinson Island is on the east coast. When you cross the bridge, all the crazy traffic disappears and you are in a relaxed laid back area with many many beautiful beaches.

At this time, this condo is open for rental next winter. Contact the Realtor in the listing for more information. This condo is on the Marriott golf course, but golf is not included. There are several public courses in close proximity if you are interested.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M62891-06271

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rag Top Daze For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-03-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
kawishiwi

Default Visited the mall next door last week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post

This place is amazing!!! Everything about it is wonderful especially the people you will meet. Contact me if you have a interest or any questions 617-969-0676 Dino
My daughter and I visited the mall next door. Waze app took us thru a nearby and very nice looking development nearby. It'll be a few years before I can pull the trigger...
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
JasonG

We just spent 5 years in Oldsmar, FL, near Clearwater. In hindsight, we wish we were by Anna Marie Island, south of Tampa and over the bridge. Mush nicer and more of that Florida Feel.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-03-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #18
Resident 2B

We sold our place on Winnipesaukee a bit more than a year ago. We bought a place in Florida very close to Anna Maria Island and we love that area. Great place to vacation and to spend the winter. It gets warm in the summer, but we have water on three sides. We are usually in Mass or NH in the summer anyway, wishing we still had the place on the lake. We are renting for a few weeks on the Lake this summer.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation From A Lifetime of Residency in Florida...

Wherever you locate in Florida, there are a few things to keep in mind.

No-see-ums:

These ankle-biters proliferate near salt water. Also called "Sand Fleas" their famous bite has been credited with delaying shoreline development of Southwest Florida for several decades! Check the home for special window screens that keep the bigger buggers out.

If you've chosen a location far from "protected" seaside vegetation, or one directly facing into the prevailing wind, their appearance will be minimalized. If you're an "outdoor person", have insect protection handy. Some of these sprays recommend washing-off when no longer outdoors.

Windstorm damage insurance.

These rates have soared in recent years and will likely be required coverage when buying your new coastal home. Coverage depends on where you're located. Central Florida "lake-country" south of Orlando doesn't have this requirement. There are locations in Florida that won't allow you to put (or replace) a mobile home on your lot. If a mobile home is your choice of residence, check before you buy a lot.

There are places in Florida that will require that you build a second floor, and keep the first floor open—and never occupied—except for automobiles.

Expect the annual premium to run into the four figures. Choose carefully when changing window protection. Not all shutters or window reinforcements comply with new windstorm requirements.

Mere preparation of your coastal home for windstorm damage coverage can run into several thousand dollars.

Your Street:

IMHO, dead-end streets (or cul-de-sacs) are desirable for their lack of irresponsible traffic.

Neighbors/Demographics:

Florida's Pasco and Hernando Counties, among others, are slated for release of Federal "refugees".

According to friends who relocated from SE Florida to SW Florida, the two above-mentioned counties are infamous for "Meth" production, trafficking, and use.

Sun orientation.

Take note of your new home's orientation. Watching sunsets indoors from your new living room can result in a sweat even with the A/C blasting cold air. Plantings should be heavy, dense, and tall on the western face of your new structure. A mix of slow-growing Palms, Sea Grape trees and Ixora hedges work.

If your house needs a new roof, consider replacing it with a white, rubberized roofing material called "TPO". Not all roof pitches will comport with its use, but a "shallow" pitch can. "TPO" is a commercial-grade material, that carries a 30-year warrantee.

Now for some really good news: areas of Florida will experience recently lowered electrical rates!