Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
GTO

Default snorkeling...

Got a chance to do some snorkeling this past Sunday with some friends over at Farrahs point. Also got a chance to stop and chat with some of the rafters there (when we needed to rest). Never even thought to ask if any were from the Forum.....so I will ask now
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
mishelmeis

i wasn't there, but i miss snorkeling. we used to go out on the west coast, but it's sort of far for a day trip :-)

where is farrah's point? any other good snorkeling locations around? esp. for kids? i have a 9yo and a 4yo, so nothing too much for them, but i'll take any info at all! it seems that diver info is everywhere, but not so much for snorkeing...

TIA!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Irrigation Guy

Treading water gently here(not trying to be a jerk):

If it was in fact you(group of 6 or so) it looked like you were having a good time, but you were oblivious to an approaching boat(mine) as your group snorkled and dove for a toy between and in front of anchored boats.

We patiently waited for your group to move on so we could safely pass by you and tie up with our friends not sure which way you would turn next.

My wife thought I was getting too close but I thought by being a little closer someone might notice us(or our motor noise) and move on.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
GTO

Default probably us....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Treading water gently here(not trying to be a jerk):

If it was in fact you(group of 6 or so) it looked like you were having a good time, but you were oblivious to an approaching boat(mine) as your group snorkled and dove for a toy between and in front of anchored boats.

We patiently waited for your group to move on so we could safely pass by you and tie up with our friends not sure which way you would turn next.

My wife thought I was getting too close but I thought by being a little closer someone might notice us(or our motor noise) and move on.
Before we ventured out, we talked about being cautious about boats coming in. When we got to the row of boats, we discovered we could not go behind them as it got too shallow so we tried to stay close to the anchor lines as possible. We had relatives up from mass all weekend and wakeboarded and airchaired there all day Saturday but they wanted to rest in the morning and wanted to snorkel....I know, not always a good idea in the cove during a weekend, but they never get to do it. Sorry about any inconvenience, wish I got a chance to say hi.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Jeanzb1

Default Scuba diving on Sunday

My brother and my son were scuba diving Sunday afternoon off the northwest corner of Parker Island. Yes, they were towing a dive flag, and my husband and I were in the boat with another dive flag very high and visible. Some jerk in a big powerboat sped by within 25 feet of the divers AND on the wrong side of the black-tipped buoy. Very, very scary......
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
GTO

Default Anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post
i wasn't there, but i miss snorkeling. we used to go out on the west coast, but it's sort of far for a day trip :-)

where is farrah's point? any other good snorkeling locations around? esp. for kids? i have a 9yo and a 4yo, so nothing too much for them, but i'll take any info at all! it seems that diver info is everywhere, but not so much for snorkeing...

TIA!
We like to just anchor off any island and snorkel along the shore. A few weekends ago, We went snorkeling in the cove off of 1 mile island, down near the wall that extends out into the water to another island (towards Ctr Harbor) and discovered a 12 ft, looked like an old wooden row boat on t the bottom, much of it still intact. Lots of wees and thousands of small perch and bass. Great area for kids to snorkel and see things
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Before we ventured out, we talked about being cautious about boats coming in. When we got to the row of boats, we discovered we could not go behind them as it got too shallow so we tried to stay close to the anchor lines as possible. We had relatives up from mass all weekend and wakeboarded and airchaired there all day Saturday but they wanted to rest in the morning and wanted to snorkel....I know, not always a good idea in the cove during a weekend, but they never get to do it. Sorry about any inconvenience, wish I got a chance to say hi.
Wish I got to say hi too. It wasn't an issue whatsover, just wanted to make you aware that your group didn't notice an approching boat.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
My brother and my son were scuba diving Sunday afternoon off the northwest corner of Parker Island. Yes, they were towing a dive flag, and my husband and I were in the boat with another dive flag very high and visible. Some jerk in a big powerboat sped by within 25 feet of the divers AND on the wrong side of the black-tipped buoy. Very, very scary......
I saw you guys anchored there, and your in-boat flag was CLEARLY visible. And I thought your choice of location (inside the buoy) was smart.

Sorry you had to experience some clueless/ignorant jerk, and hope the diving was great.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-01-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:

TIA!

Farrar Point is due south of Mile Island up in Center Harbor. People anchor on the south side of the point.

The big shoal at the Varney Islands is good for snorkeling, as are the shoals around the Beaver Islands. Everyone should snorkel the wreck of the Belknap at Steamboat Island. It's on the east side of the bridge close to where Steamboat Island becomes the causeway that connects it to the bridge to Birch Island. It's probably less than 40 feet from shore.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Gearhead

When I was a little kid, my grandparents had friends who had a camp on the lake somewhere and we went out in their bowrider once. We anchored at a sandbar and went snorkeling. What a great time! His name was Gordy Johnson and I think he lived in Concord.

I sure wish I still knew the family and where that sandbar was. My sister and I still talk about it 35 years later.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
GTO

Default I suggest.....

Quote:

TIA!
With Children of that age, I would take them to an area like I described with lots of fish at arms length and plenty to see. Heck, throw a couple of coins to the bottom without them seeing you and make up a story about a ship wreck years ago that had a treasure aboard. Let them dive for the coins.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
pats fan

Default Real boneheads today!

We were out on the Jetski late morning and encountered two "dummies" with masks and snorkles swimming from Governor's Island to Eagle. It is a NWZ so boats are not moving very fast, but these clowns had their heads down in the water so just a tiny little snorkle was sticking up right in the middle of the channel. They did pull their heads up and look around a few times. Looked to be a Dad and a early teenaged son. Hard to believe people cn be so careless and flat out foolish. Yet it would have been our fault had we hit them!
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
We were out on the Jetski late morning and encountered two "dummies" with masks and snorkles swimming from Governor's Island to Eagle. It is a NWZ so boats are not moving very fast, but these clowns had their heads down in the water so just a tiny little snorkle was sticking up right in the middle of the channel. They did pull their heads up and look around a few times. Looked to be a Dad and a early teenaged son. Hard to believe people cn be so careless and flat out foolish. Yet it would have been our fault had we hit them!
Wow, one of the busiest parts of the lake. Why would anyone swim in a traffic area? Incredible.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
jrc

On a weekday morning in September, this isn't a crazy as it seems, if they have a dive flag. Without a dive flag, it's crazy and probably illegal.

I see divers in front of Gendale all the time, it's a busy traffic area, but they always have flags.

It's their right to dive or snorkle, we have to share the lake. It's our right to expect them to dive or snorkle safely, by using a flag.

Now I wouldn't snorkle or dive there because there's nothing to see, that you can't see in a safer spot and too much chance that someone will break the rules. Plus legal or not I don't want to be that close to the Mount or Doris when they come through at their no wake speed.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (09-08-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
pats fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
On a weekday morning in September, this isn't a crazy as it seems, if they have a dive flag. Without a dive flag, it's crazy and probably illegal.

I see divers in front of Gendale all the time, it's a busy traffic area, but they always have flags.

It's their right to dive or snorkle, we have to share the lake. It's our right to expect them to dive or snorkle safely, by using a flag.

Now I wouldn't snorkle or dive there because there's nothing to see, that you can't see in a safer spot and too much chance that someone will break the rules. Plus legal or not I don't want to be that close to the Mount or Doris when they come through at their no wake speed.
No, they had no flag and no boat there with someone watching and warning boaters of their being in the water. I agree that they have a right to use the lake just like boaters do, but some common sense? With just the back of their heads poking up out of the water they were just slightly visable and actually looked like ducks until we got right up on them.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Gatto Nero

Quote:
I see divers in front of Gendale all the time, it's a busy traffic area, but they always have flags...........Now I wouldn't snorkle or dive there because there's nothing to see, that you can't see in a safer spot and too much chance that someone will break the rules. Plus legal or not I don't want to be that close to the Mount or Doris when they come through at their no wake speed.
Isn't that where Lady of the Lake is? That's one of the few really cool dives sites on the lake, IMO.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
jrc

pats fan- with no flag, that borders on suicide. The Mount cannot stop in time if they can't see them. Smaller boats have a better chance but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Gatto - I meant to say that I would not snorkel or dive in the Eagle Island, Governors Island channel becuse there's nothing to see. There is obviously something very popular to see at the Lady of the Lake site in Glendale.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
mishelmeis

Default thanks!

thanks for all the snorkeling info! i'm sure i'll be looking it up again in the spring!

as for the swimming, please realize that yes, some of us are just stupid! we don't mean to be...

we have always spent our lake time in ponds - ledge pond over in sunapee, cobbett's pond in windham, kanasatka, etc. we have exactly NO EXPERIENCE on the big lake, and we find ourselves just being blown away by the learning curve!

(are those waves or chop???)

(holy cow, is it always this windy here??? hey, hon, why didn't we buy a place on cow island and do a whole cow themed house??? wouldn't that be just the coolest thing EVER?)

(what are those things sticking out made of rocks? breakwaters? do people think they are pretty or something?)

(did i mention that we were not boaters previously?)

i tell my neighbor at the lake to smack me whenever i'm doing something just downright dumb b/c sometimes i really just don't realize it! (OMG, do NOT feed the ducks - EVER! but look, we have extra slingshots and lots of rocks...)

we have quickly realized that in order to learn quickly, watching our neighbors around the island and the lake is the best way. there's a reason for most of the things they do!

maybe we need a thread along the lines of "the dumb things i learned not to do at the lake!"
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Holy cow,was that APS with a new handle?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Holy cow,was that APS with a new handle?
Nope, not enough quotes included
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #21
ApS

Cool Thank You for the Introduction!

Quote:
On a weekday morning in September, this isn't a crazy as it seems, if they have a dive flag. Without a dive flag, it's crazy and probably illegal...we have to share the lake. It's our right to expect them to dive or snorkle safely, by using a flag.

1) The Mount and Doris must keep a proper watch: no-wake speed can be 1-MPH.

2) The wind can turn a diving flag so that there is even less to see than a snorkle.

3) That there "is nothing to see" doesn't preclude the unexpected hazard—anywhere.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote