Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
pats fan

Default Tile floor installation

Anyone know of someone good and inexpensive to install ceramic tile floors? How much is standard per sq foot for installation only? I have the tile and can get the grout, just need an installation price.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Comptonbuilder

Hi, my name is Scott Compton of "Scott Compton Builder". One of the guys that works for me is a tile installer by trade. His name is Bobby Timko. He works for me full time as a carpenter's apprentice but likes to install tile on the side. If you are interested in talking with him, I can be contacted at (603-234-1277). He does all my tile work and he is inexpensive and very good. It is worth it to get a price from him. Good luck.
Comptonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
Anyone know of someone good and inexpensive to install ceramic tile floors? How much is standard per sq foot for installation only? I have the tile and can get the grout, just need an installation price.
What town are you located in?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
pats fan

Thank you, Scott. I will call you tomorrow to get a price from your tile guy.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
pats fan

Hi Secondcurve,
I have a rental property in Belmont. Need the kitchen, bath and front entry tiled. All total it is only about 120 sq feet at most. I think that is a high estimate. May need a little floor leveler in a few places but is not really a big job. I'm actually tempted to learn a little about it and give it a try! Maybe next time. I am happy to show you the job if you think you are the best, cheapest guy for the job!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
Hi Secondcurve,
I have a rental property in Belmont. Need the kitchen, bath and front entry tiled. All total it is only about 120 sq feet at most. I think that is a high estimate. May need a little floor leveler in a few places but is not really a big job. I'm actually tempted to learn a little about it and give it a try! Maybe next time. I am happy to show you the job if you think you are the best, cheapest guy for the job!
Pats Fan, go for it. Tiling is not an overly difficult task. A few things that will make your life easier and result in a better looking job in the end, especially if you are going to rent a tile saw.

Remove the baseboard trim in the area that you are tiling. If the trim is painted, start with using a utility knife and slowly cut along the top joint of the trim where it intersects the wall board, then repeat on any trim to trim joints. Then using a trim bar http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17314 (super versitile tool to have around), slowly pry the trim off the wall. Pay attention to how the pieces are laid out, so you don't remove a piece that is overlapped by another at a corner. Mark all the pieces as you take them off and remove the nails from the backside using a pair of pliers or dykes. Set all the trim aside in an area that will not be in the way of working and will keep them from getting knocked around.

Remove whatever flooring you have down currently and make sure it is free of nails and other nasties.

Tile should be installed over a cement backer board or solid base material. Do not install over wood sub-floor, it will crack. Products to choose from for underlayment (depending on the amount of thickness you have to work with) are:
Ditra http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx Highly recommend, fast and thin. Gets cemented to the sub-floor with thinset. Can be difficult to work with alone. Just lay it out and make all your cuts ahead of time and it will go smooth. Somewhat expensive.
Hardie Board http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...rterInch.shtml Two different thickness to choose from, needs to be cemented to the sub-floor with thinset and then screwed and all seams need to be taped with mesh tape and thinset. Easier to do alone, but is more time consuming and lots of waste. Cheaper cost.

OK, so you have the sub-surface laid and ready for tile. Stop, before you start mixing thinset make sure your layout is balanced in the space by making measurements and snapping some lines (chalk line) for reference. To make your life easier and to maximize your tile saw rental, you will want to actually cut and layout your entire floor (with spacers) as if you were setting the tile for good, but without the thinset. This way you can deal with any really difficult cuts or layout problems before you have a bucket of thinset mixed up and drying while you try to figure out what to do.

Once that is done, mix your thinset according to the directions on the bag and start laying your tile using your reference lines. Work in small grids 3'x3' or the best size based on your tile size. Just remember you have to be able to reach the far corner of the section to set tile and you do not want to have to work over freshly set tile, they will slide around all over the place.

When that is done, the next day you can grout and the directions on the bag are very clear on how to do this and follow them to a "T".

Then install your removed baseboard trim and paint.

Take your time and it will come out fine.

And if you are not interested in taking it on after ready this post then the installers in my area range from $5.50 to $7.75 per square foot for floor tile (wall tile is usually double that), depending on the complexity of the layout and size and type of tile. Slate runs slightly higher for install and Travertine will use more grout material. These are very seasoned tile installers and that matters more than price. Nothing looks worse in all of construction than a poor tile installation or a bad paint job.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Gatto Nero

Default AC Tile

My wife and brother in-law run a tile installation company. They can be reached at 978-256-3744 for an estimate. They are based in MA but have no issues coming up tot the lake for a job.
Lakewinniman (11-29-2021)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Tile should be installed over a cement backer board or solid base material. Do not install over wood sub-floor, it will crack.
All good info from jmen.I'll take exception a little bit with this statement though.I did 2 of my bathrooms 10 years ago and installed the tile right on the plywood subfloor and have not any any cracks at all.They are small jobs at maybe 4x4 but have held up great.I did use a cementacious board when I tiled my shower however.fwiw
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
All good info from jmen.I'll take exception a little bit with this statement though.I did 2 of my bathrooms 10 years ago and installed the tile right on the plywood subfloor and have not any any cracks at all.They are small jobs at maybe 4x4 but have held up great.I did use a cementacious board when I tiled my shower however.fwiw
You may have had some things working in your favor and plywood subfloor is one of them as well as size of tile section. The basis reasoning behind using a backer board or Ditra type material is that a lot of factors can work against the tile. Mainly, if the joists are undersized, they flex and bounce under weight; the plywood may be inferiorly installed not using a bead of glue to help stiffen the assembly or the subfloor may not be plywood at all. The backers eliminate all those issues (except the undersized joists, but we won't go down that road unless we have to) by bonding the sub-floor to the backer.

You are correct though, but in my case (professional remodeling company) I have a two year warranty period on our installation labor and materials, as well as the manufacturers warranty beyond that to protect the homeowner with down the road. We use a backer all the time (mostly because the tile manufacturers will not warranty an installation without it), but some situations would allow for it to be left out if you are doing it yourself.

My home for example using the old 1x subfloor and that requires some serious stiffening even after rescrewing all the boards to the joists.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
pats fan

Default Omg!

Thank you so much for all the instructions and info. You have now made me realize this is NOT a job for me! It would be fun to work with someone who is an expert and maybe it wouldn't sound so scary after seeing it done once but...I am a woman, this guy stuff may not really be for me! I think I will do my nails, get my hair done, drink some wine and pay a man to do this job!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Alton Flooring and Tile

They have a tile installer that did a small repair job for us this summer. I got prompt good service at a reasonable price. It is a small owner operated deal so you leave a message and they will call you back.

132 MAIN St, Alton
875-3507
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
pats fan (09-16-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
eric richard

Thumbs up tile work

Hi i am Eric from Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement we do tile work feel free to call me and i can give you a free quote.We have a web site with pic to veiw at www.ericnphilshomeimprovement.com. i can also be reach at 603 509 3880. hope to hear from you.

Thank you
Eric richard
Owner
Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
pjard

This is an older thread but I have the same question. I need to find a good tile installer for a job that is about 750 square feet.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
... I need to find a good tile installer for a job that is about 750 square feet.
Huib Okker, in Meredith, (603) 279-6383. Excellent work, very friendly and easy to work with.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
GTO

Default Great work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Huib Okker, in Meredith, (603) 279-6383. Excellent work, very friendly and easy to work with.
Hub is great. He is very busy because he is in demand. He did our tile behind the wood stove. A few years ago and did a great job.