Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
NHDOLFAN

Default Pontoon Boat

I am in the process of purchasing a new pontoon boat. I have been studying the many makes and models. As with all vehicles, there are to many manufacturers and so many options. If you have a pontoon, I would like to know if you like it and what features you like the most.

Has anyone heard of JC Pontoons?
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

My Dad has a 24' pontoon with large logs, he has a 75 hp mercury on it and we have pulled two people on waterskies with it. I have used this a bit and its fine. Nice family boat, although we do not fish, I think it would make a good platform to fish from. You get sprayed in rough weather a little, and if your having to be out when its raining you get very little protection even with a roof. But then I get just a little more in my runabout.

I think the 24' would have been better with a 115 Hp outboard if your gonna water ski with it. Just that extra ump.

Good luck with your choices.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Formula260SS

Default Pontoon Boat

Get the BIG logs, the ones I have seen in the broads do OK as far as pontoon boats go with respect to rougher water. Plus you can put more weight in them, just be aware, you WILL get wet in most models on a rough day.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Correct Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Get the BIG logs, the ones I have seen in the broads do OK as far as pontoon boats go with respect to rougher water. Plus you can put more weight in them, just be aware, you WILL get wet in most models on a rough day.

We have a 20' Smoker Craft 50HP. Love it. Always,Always, Always get the big tubes. We are on the Broads and you will give your guests "foot baths" as we call them.

You do need to pick your days to take a toon out on the Broads.. and you'll learn to stay away from areas of the lake that tend to "chop up". (Eagle Is. near the Weirs is always chopped up on weekends)

Toons are a very relaxing way to explore the lake.. and we love just heading out at sunset and just "sitting" .

I might suggest you rent one for a day before commiting to buy. Also, I've seen several of the models with 3 tubes on the big lake and most of them have bigger (read faster) engines.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
codeman671

Amen to big tubes, and 3 is much better than two. I prefer the Manitou 24' with big power. I have owned a few brands and different sizes and am very happy with my current setup. The "373" setup on the Manitou where the center log is 27" diameter and the outers are 23" provides a great ride with less roll when traversing rough water and gives a much better turning capability.

I have seen the JC's but never done much research into them. I am not crazy about the fiberglass playpens, pontoons tend to get dinged up a bit from docking due to the design and aluminum just pushes in instead of cracking/spidering. The polished logs are a bit too "pimp daddy" for me...

I like having a rear walkout floorplan, a solid tow bar for watersports, anti-microbial seating, and a big merc outboard.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 27' Harris Kayot

I own a 27+ Harris Kayot. I say 27" because it's at least that. I'm having a Senior moment. It might be as long as 29'. The Tri toons (3) makes the boat real stable. I also have a 200HP so it moves right along. I recommend you get at least a 24', 115 HP, 3 toons minimum or buy something else. The ONLY complaint I have is I wish I have more coverup from the wind so I could extend my boating season. If I had a nice Canvas and clear plastic to build sort of a room that would be way cool!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Glendale Marina has some big inboard/outboard tritoons.First time I've seen those.They claim 60+mph.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Glendale Marina has some big inboard/outboard tritoons.First time I've seen those.They claim 60+mph.
Manitou, Evinrude powered. They are incorrect with their sign though, "Hot Rod Pontoon 60mph+". Being that I own one, a 24' with a 225hp, mine does 48-49mph max. The inboard 300mph boat is actually slower than the outboard. Even the 22' boat with a 275hp probably would be close to 55mph.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Sunrise Point

Default My 2 cents worth...

We have had a pontoon boat for about 4 years now. We have been very happy with it. If I was to purchase a new one, I would look into individual covers for the chairs/couches and console instead of one large "playpen" cover. There are times when it's just the two of us going out, and it would be nice to uncover just the parts that you need and leave the rest protected. It can take several minutes to snap on and insert the poles into a "playpen" cover.

I think that the brand carried by Irwin Marine (I can't remember the name) comes with the individual covers.

Good luck!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Island Girl

Default Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a new pontoon boat. I have been studying the many makes and models. As with all vehicles, there are to many manufacturers and so many options. If you have a pontoon, I would like to know if you like it and what features you like the most.

Are you on the broads side of the island. Will this be your only boat?

Traveling and docking on the broadside of this island can be quite adventurous in a regular boat... If a toon is your only transport ... you might be limiting the times you can get here.

IG, finally back on the island

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Orion

Default Another data point

I have owned a 25' 2001 Bennington tri-toon since new and still love it...no complaints. It's very well made. It has a 130 HP Honda and does about 30 mph which is more than fast enough because everyone is out in the open. Tritoons with large logs are a must if you plan on going out in the Broads with a load of folks. The third log also gives more floatation for the larger motors and bigger "parties". I had a full enclosure built for the back half of the boat and that definitely extends our season. Other points made by others are good ones. Also get one with the popup changing room for a porta-potty for your passengers if you go on cruises where people are consuming any kind of beverages. It's been a lifesaver.

Pontoon and Deck Boat (PDB) magazine current issue has a nice review of the better pontoons, especially the newer performance hulls.

Last edited by Orion; 03-17-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: mag title correction
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
NHDOLFAN

Default Pontoon

I live on the Alton side of Rattlesnake but come through the broads via Wolfeboro Bay. The boat I'm looking at has 26" logs and there are 3 full length logs. The max horsepower is 150. The pop-up changing is a definite, especially, because we like to take long slow cruises around the lake in the early evening. Thanks for all the feedback.
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
Orion

Default sounds good

That boat sounds like it should work out nicely. One other thing is that most pontoon layouts are such that the "crowd" gravitates to the bow. Judicious load distribution in rougher waters, along with proper power settings (enough to keep bow up a bit) will help avoid the "footwashes".

Enjoy.....slow cruises with a good bunch of folks are the best!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post

Hi NHDOLFAN;

After looking at and renting many different types and styles of pontoons, and after reading many many pontoon boat reviews, I settled on a Manitou 24' Xplode SHP with a 250 H.O. Etec outboard.

I was actually in Michigan on business a couple weeks ago and unexpectedly realized that the Manitou factory is there. I gave them a call and they were gracious enough to give me a complete plant tour. They are not a huge factory (probably about 50,000 sq. ft.), but I was astounded at the quality control I saw taking place on pontoon boats being built while I was there. The plant tour just confirmed what I had been hearing and reading all along about their pontooons and that is quality.

As far as features go...I wanted a pontoon that would cruise slow when I wanted, but also get up and go across the lake if I needed to whether in a big chop or not. I Also wanted something for skiing and towables, as well as fishing. This pontoon does all of that and more.

As an fyi...I bought mine at Glendale Marina and was pleased with their assistance and price.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-17-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

Not sure if you are new to the island but while most of the Alton side of the island is calmer than most of the broads side, the water can get pretty rough when the wind direction is coming out of the NW. In general the ride to the island on that side is worse than the docking and mooring time.

We come out of Alton bay to the broads side and I can tell you that the one time I turned back was before I even got to the end of the island with the wind and waves on the "calm side".
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I own a 27+ Harris Kayot. I say 27" because it's at least that. I'm having a Senior moment. It might be as long as 29'. The Tri toons (3) makes the boat real stable. I also have a 200HP so it moves right along. I recommend you get at least a 24', 115 HP, 3 toons minimum or buy something else. The ONLY complaint I have is I wish I have more coverup from the wind so I could extend my boating season. If I had a nice Canvas and clear plastic to build sort of a room that would be way cool!!
That thing HAS to be 29' if it's a foot! By far Mr. OHR that is my favorite Toon I have ever seen. Talk about creature comforts. I can not believe the toon manufacturers figured out a way to stick a toilet in them, WITH privacy mind you. This summer we need to hit up Braun Bay at least once!

You really can't go wrong with a pontoon boat. They make the best sunset cruisers, EVERYONE has a view!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
Grady223

Default Wolfeboro to Rattlesnake

That is a tough trip in windy weather. Once you pass Sewell Point you have about 17 miles of fetch in a northwest wind - it's not uncommon to get 4 footers especially in the fall. I have a 22 foot Grady White (designed to handle the notoriuosly rough Cape Hatteras waters) and have enough fun just getting to Barndoor some days - I would not want to have to go all the way to Rattlesnake. I would suggest something built for rough water rather than a pontoon boat if you plan on making that trip regularly.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
Dave M

You may want to look at a tri-hull deck boat. Better in the rough weather. My nephew has a Hurricane, its a small one but has plenty of room.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Guy

We have a deck boat and love it but....

I am not sure it is the "safest" boat in rough water. It is probably not the smoothest ride while slapping either.

We all saw what happened last year when someone took a wave over the bow.

When we come across when the water is rolling I thank God that I have trim to lift my bow up to keep the waves on the outside. Well for the most part.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
That is a tough trip in windy weather. Once you pass Sewell Point you have about 17 miles of fetch in a northwest wind - it's not uncommon to get 4 footers especially in the fall. I have a 22 foot Grady White (designed to handle the notoriuosly rough Cape Hatteras waters) and have enough fun just getting to Barndoor some days - I would not want to have to go all the way to Rattlesnake. I would suggest something built for rough water rather than a pontoon boat if you plan on making that trip regularly.
I completely agree, If your crossing the broads to get to your cottage a pontoon boat is probably not the best choice. Last year the waves cooperated pretty well in the broads but, all years are not the same.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
Orion

Default Depends on where/when you're going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
I completely agree, If your crossing the broads to get to your cottage a pontoon boat is probably not the best choice. Last year the waves cooperated pretty well in the broads but, all years are not the same.

True, if you HAVE TO regularly travel to an area such as the Broad side of Rattlesnake. If that is the case, then you would need a true rough water boat. But, for most cruising, the pontoons provide the smoothest ride, especially on busy weekends. They tend to slice through all the wakes and moderate chop and you get no pounding. If there is any significant wind, you will get spray though.

Bottom line....there is no perfect boat for all conditions or situations. That's why I have more than one . But that's true of most islanders.