Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
prostar190

Default Cobalt bowriders

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how 22 or 23 foot cobalt bowriders handle the rough water on Winni. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
prostar190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
TomC

Default i have the 200...

which is 20' - and it rides very well at 4000 lbs. The larger ones are probably even better.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
boat_guy64

Default Cobalt

I don't own a cobalt but have three friends that have or had them. I always felt that some of them (246 or 252 for example) have a bow that rides very low in the water and they are not great for Winnipesaukee. The 282 on the other hand has a bow that rides high and is a big boat that rides very nicely. My friends with the 246 and 252 definately won't venture out on days that are windy and often get water over the bow from boat chop. Also, events like the Meredith fireworks are difficult at best with these boats. One family in our neighborhood had 4 adults and 2 kids on their 252 and it was swamped badly on the night of the fireworks. I'd only purchase the bow type that provides much more bow height off of the water.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar190 View Post
Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how 22 or 23 foot cobalt bowriders handle the rough water on Winni. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
We had a 20' Four Winns that didn't like Winni. Sold it and got a 25' Cobalt bow rider. It's a big and heavy boat that handles Winni great. I've been out in some pretty rough stuff and never got a drop over the bow. As with any boat, if it's not handled well you can get into trouble.

I think if you want to venture to almost any area on Winni on all but a few days, I'd get at least a 25' boat.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
I don't own a cobalt but have three friends that have or had them. I always felt that some of them (246 or 252 for example) have a bow that rides very low in the water and they are not great for Winnipesaukee. The 282 on the other hand has a bow that rides high and is a big boat that rides very nicely. My friends with the 246 and 252 definately won't venture out on days that are windy and often get water over the bow from boat chop. Also, events like the Meredith fireworks are difficult at best with these boats. One family in our neighborhood had 4 adults and 2 kids on their 252 and it was swamped badly on the night of the fireworks. I'd only purchase the bow type that provides much more bow height off of the water.
There was a long thread about a Cobalt BR that went down in heavy chop on Winni. I do think Cobalt's bow is a little close to the water on some models.

In rough weather I keep my bow cover on and a little up trim.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
lawn psycho

Default Cobalts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
We had a 20' Four Winns that didn't like Winni. Sold it and got a 25' Cobalt bow rider. It's a big and heavy boat that handles Winni great. I've been out in some pretty rough stuff and never got a drop over the bow. As with any boat, if it's not handled well you can get into trouble.

I think if you want to venture to almost any area on Winni on all but a few days, I'd get at least a 25' boat.
My first boat was an 18.5 footer and I never thought twice about taking it anywhere on the lake. Had it in 3-4 foot chop many, many times. In fact on the days the chop is up usually enough to make cruising a spine jarring experience typically means its not a good sun/fun day anyways and just about everyone is off the lake on those days.

There's a gazillion boats on the lake under 25 ft. I have a 22 footer and don't want anything bigger. Seems after 24 ft the premium for slipping, storage, winterizing, etc goes up exponentionally. It also gets to the point where your tow vehicle often needs to be upsized as well.

I like the Cobalt's as they have neat styling and from having trampled over many of them at past boat shows they appear to be well built. They have a good warranty too. However the cost premium over a comparable SeaRay, Four Winns, and Chapperal is quite steep. Much cheaper to buy another brand and pay for the mega warranty.

Although this is about as non-scientific as I could get, I refer to the Cobalts as BMWs and the Four Winns and SeaRay as Accord and Camry.

My Four Winns H220 (21'6") weighs as much as a brand new Cobalt 210 (22'6") by the way and they both have an 8'6" beam.

From having sat in a Cobalt, I did not feel the freeboard to be much different from what other boats have. I'm too lazy to start doing head-to-head comparisons.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
TomC

Default freeboard

i've had Stingrays, Maxums, and now have a Cobalt. Friends have had Searays and now have a Four Winns. The Cobalt 200 that I have now has the highest freeboard in the bow area of any boat of comparable size that I've ever ridden in or owned. Maybe the styling on the larger ones is driven more by "swoopy" aesthetics? It seems very surprising to me that there is this concern on the larger Cobalts.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Cobalt 25

Given my "name", I feel compelled to respond.

In 2001, after having owned 3 new and 1 used Cobalt bowriders, we bought a Formula. We loved all 4 Cobalts and used them in the ocean primarily, even as far south as a long trailer ride to Key West. Whenever we returned to Winni, "sea" conditions were never an issue. Coming from Wolfboro or Alton Bay towards the Weirs into a strong north wind simply meant staying to the leeward of the islands when possible.

However, I don't have any experience with the newer models. I'm writing this to bear witness to the quality of the Cobalts that we owned. The decision to switch to Formula was based on other considerations. We love our Formula, but I do believe the Cobalts we owned earlier were better built.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
AC2717

Default 1988 cobalt 23 Bow Rider here

I have a 23 footer BR from Colbalt. Cannot say enough about this boat, only thing, just a little underpowered at 260hp. But she rides high, has high free board and when my daughter, only 4 years old, sits in the bow, her head is still blow the top of the free board, not to mention there is a rail around the bow as well.

I know the newer models are not as high, but the reason, other than cash, that I still have this beauty is because of how heavy she is, and the depth of the deck. when I stand driving he windshield is just at my chest, and I am 5'11" one of the few boats I have rode in that actually feel like you are riding in, and not on.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
There was a long thread about a Cobalt BR that went down in heavy chop on Winni. I do think Cobalt's bow is a little close to the water on some models.

In rough weather I keep my bow cover on and a little up trim.
I don't like bowriders for the very reasons some are stating. However, in the example cited, stuffing the bow given the conditions and amount of people on board didn't make a case against Cobalt. It did make a case for much more stringent education, preferably, on the water. I think all bowriders are too close to the water. The large ones now have plenty of freeboard, but there are just way too many people that know nothing about boats nowadays.

A cuddy or even a walkaround type boat with self bailing cockpits are better suited to rougher areas. There are times when boats just shouldn't be out on the open water. I've had waves over my bow lights and smashing against my windshield and even the bimini. I felt like an idiot to be out there (I was), and won't do it again. I personally think that's where the newer pickle fork designs and deck boats came from, risk management. Probably not as stuffable. Although in my gazillion years on lakes, I don't know of anyone personally that has performed such a feat.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
RC246

I own a 2006 Cobalt 246. Bought it new and love it.
RC246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just a couple of words

Boat are like shoes, or a car.... there are many types and flavors out there. they all fit different handle different etc. Many factors need to go into what boat a person buys.
When I read threads like this and see things like "I wouldn't recomond anything less then a 25' for winni" I laugh. For years people used boats in the 18' - 20' arena and many still do. It is only in the last 15 to 20 years that the larger bow riders have really come into being. It all depends on what you want the boat for. If you want to be able to go out and rid around and never have to worry about taking a splash and getting a little wet, then most certainly the big the better with more freeboard. If you realize, you may get splashed and it doesn't concern you then something to the 18 - 20 foot class is just fine.

I personally own a 18' Four Winns, I have never been stopped from going out except for when I have fealt that the wind was to much. And at that point, the bigger boat wouldn't have changed my mind. I have decent freeboard.... but occasionally when the wind is not in my favor and I don't have a choice I take spray over the bow. Weather I had a cuddy or a bow rider wouldn't mater, the spray would be comming over the bow... I laugh, my passangers laugh and we get on with it, and as soon as I can, I change my heading so that it stops happening.

As for the issue people seem to have with taking water over the bow... well, what most people don't realize, is that if you do the right cobination of things at the wrong time, most bow riders are cabable of this.... no matter how high there bow is out of the water. When you cut power in a boat, the nose dives.... if it dives into a big enough wave you are screwed. If you have people in the bow the effect is even worse..... How do you prevent this.... In rough Conditions NEVER LET PEOPLE RIDE IN THE BOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bigger bow riders only offer people a false sense of security in this regard.....
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Airwaves

One of our boats is a 1990 Cobalt 21' BR. She handles Winnipesaukee very well.

My only complaint is she doesn't like backing down to starboard, probably because of the twin counter rotating inline props.

re: the sinking of the Cobalt a few years ago.

Manufacturers are only required to put flotation that will keep them on top of the water in boats of 20 feet and under. Most anything over 20 feet will sink if it takes enough water. Something to keep in mind especially if you have a bow rider in rough weather.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Manufacturers are only required to put flotation that will keep them on top of the water in boats of 20 feet and under. Most anything over 20 feet will sink if it takes enough water. Something to keep in mind especially if you have a bow rider in rough weather.
That's a fact I was not aware of. In fact I was under the impression that most bow riders has neutral bouyancy if swamped.

1. Do you know where one could find that regulation?
2. Is there any way to determine if a manufacturer gave the boat additional bouyancy measures?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
That's a fact I was not aware of. In fact I was under the impression that most bow riders has neutral bouyancy if swamped.

1. Do you know where one could find that regulation?
2. Is there any way to determine if a manufacturer gave the boat additional bouyancy measures?
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=cobalt

Lawn Pyscho, the link above is to a thread on this forum that contains the information you seek on the Coast Regulation.....

As for what individual Manufactures, you have to discuss it with them... The bottom line is the aren't required to provide neutral buoyancy in anything over 19'......

This is one of the reason, I think the craze of going for bigger and bigger boats on the like is a little short sided.... not that I wouldn't like a bigger boat, but I think all to often people get the bigger boat, get a false sense of security and don't realize what can happen.....
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
lawn psycho

Default Interesting read

Well I read that entire thread. After all that, it appears not a single person went to Glendale to read the report.

That should be required reading for first time boaters as to how quickly things can go bad.

Something else that got touched on only in one or two posts was insurance. People really should know the type of policy (replacement, agreed value, or actual cash value) they have and make sure the have enough coverage in each category. Saving $50/year on insurance can cost you dearly later.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Rough water

If you are really concerned about rough water handling, there is nothing like a Formula. I have many boat owners tell me the Formula rides better. I have been on many boats and I have to agree.

Formula makes a very well equipped bow rider. They are pricey, but they hold their resale value very well. Very solid boat.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #18
trfour

Default Lets All Keep In Mind...

Use the flotation device in our brains... I have enjoyed boating here on Lake Winnipesaukee for over 25 years in and from a 41' Sonic SE High Deck, to a 19' bow rider, and yes as we all know the weather can kick up at any time.

Leaving Paugus Bay in the morning with family to take a cruise around the Lake and sometimes ending up over in Wolfeboro in the late afternoon on a good weather day, only to have the wind pick up for the return trip.
Even in the bow rider, if the weather kicks, take it slow and just keep the bow Up!

Yes, built in boat flotation adds insurance, but nothing can replace loved ones!!

"Please, stay safe out there!"

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
ThePlut

Default Very well

I had a 20' Cobalt, I now have an '05 24' Cobalt (240). I can run it all day long, at speed, in all but the worst the lake has to offer. As always, IMHO, the Captain's knowledge of the conditions and performance of his/her boat contributes greatly to ride quality (i.e. a lousy captain can make the best boats ride lousy).

The newer models in that size range 232, 242, 262, etc.. have much higher freeboard and ride even better than the lower-slung, sleeker, early 2000s models (226, 246, etc..).

There is a dealer in MA that sells both Formula and Cobalt, and will demo them for you back to back, I recommend doing that if you get hung up on a few models.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
BernerGuy

We love our 2009 Cobalt 210. Handled everything we ran into last summer, though I will admit we do not push it. Great for tubing, fast enough to get you where you want to go in a hurry, solidly built for the broads, and very comfortable for a day of rafting in Braun Bay. Oops, did I say a bad thing?
BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote