Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Commodore

Question Missing Kayaker 8-18-07 ???

I was in Weis Channel Saturday 8-18-07 when I heard a weak station announcement on channel 16 on my VHF hand held radio. Something like a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for a kayak. The woman called "Attention all boaters" and it sounded like they were looking for a black kayak. I couldn't hear all the message but it sounded like it was off of Gov I. or between Gov and Lockes Islands. The lake was very windy and choppy, see the thread about weather that day HERE nasty stuff for a kayak out in the open.

I heard the BOLO twice that afternoon. I tried to respond to find out if they needed searchers but no one answered me. It did not sound like Marine Patrol.

I have not seen anything in the news about this. Does anyone know what this was all about? Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Airwaves

Since it's been 9 1/2 hours since your post, and two days since the incident I would venture a guess that it was either a hoax, or someone looking for a kayak missing or stolen from their shorefront.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question BOLO for kayak - my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
I was in Weis Channel Saturday 8-18-07 when I heard a weak station announcement on channel 16 on my VHF hand held radio. Something like a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for a kayak. {snip}
I heard the BOLO twice that afternoon. I tried to respond to find out if they needed searchers but no one answered me. It did not sound like Marine Patrol.

I have not seen anything in the news about this. Does anyone know what this was all about? Thanks
I also heard these announcements on CH 16. I was on shore in Sanders Bay listening to my scanner. My first impression was that this was Evenstar (or someone with a similar agenda) warning boaters that there was a hard to see black kayak out in the rough water. It could have been a concerned parent, family member or friend of the kayaker. The signal was not strong enough to be from Glendale MP HQ - it was not in the proper radio format nor were there any call letters or other identification from the transmitting station. The signal did not seem strong enough to be from the kayak as I was line of site to the areas mentioned. I heard nothing about it on the 3 active Marine Patrol channels I monitor with my scanner.

The warning announcement made me scratch my head . If this was an attempt to get the Go Fast Be Loud boaters to watch out for the hapless, hard to see kayak would it really work? How many GFBL boaters listen to or can hear their VHF radio over the loud engine(s) and maybe loud music too? How many would subject their passengers to such a loud VHF radio after a few episodes of Ch 16 chatter? I have trouble listening to the VHF when I am on plane with the wind and engine noise and I have a tame cruiser.

IMO this was either a legitimate plea from someone concerned for the safety of the kayak OR it could have been someone trying to get their agenda point of view broadcast over the Marine Radio. It sounded like it came from an unlicensed shore station (violating federal Marine Radio laws).

Either way, it did not sound like a missing kayak call to me. I was out on the Sea Que earlier that Saturday and it was a bit rough out there.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Winnipesaukee

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does MP monitor and use channel 16? I heard something about using digital channels or something along those lines?