Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
mrylmbt

Default Hellicopter rides

Does anyone know of who might give 1 hour tours? didn't seem to have much luck at the Laconia airport.

Thank you
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
brk-lnt

I'm just finishing restoring an old 2 seat helicopter that I found cheap on craigslist. I've been on a tight budget, but I think I will be able to get it up and running in time for my license, which I expect to get at the end of August (keep your fingers crossed, I failed the first time, but feel pretty confident now).

I'd be happy to take you up for a 1 hour ride on one of my first solo flights when I get my 'copter up and running.

Let me know when you're available! It'll be fun!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Oletimer

Default witty phrase

"who in their right mind..."
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Mashugana

Talking Can I gave a ride too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I'm just finishing restoring an old 2 seat helicopter that I found cheap on craigslist.

I'd be happy to take you up for a 1 hour ride on one of my first solo flights when I get my 'copter up and running.

Let me know when you're available! It'll be fun!
I've seen what craftsmen can do restoring old cars so I'm sure that you can put that used whirly bird in better-than-new shape. I'd love to go on a solo flight in your 'copter. I thought solo means flying alone. Do I need to get a safe flyer certificate?

Maybe we can go over near the airport and watch the Noonan's fall out of airplanes

Will you have pontoons for water landings or just skids?

Hope you get your license. If at first you don't succeed, try try try again. PM me whwen you are ready for a crazy ride along.
Mashugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Lobster Pound Upper Parking Lot???

Two weeknds ago there was a bood sizes Black Copter taking off and landing. I'm not sure if they were doing "ride" to the public. You might what to go by there or call the Lobster Pound for information?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Hitch a 'copter ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrylmbt View Post
Does anyone know of who might give 1 hour tours? didn't seem to have much luck at the Laconia airport.

Thank you
Several years ago a small group of us wanted to take a scenic airplane ride. The seaplane tour which used to be at the Lake charged $60 per person for a 15 minute flight. too much money. So we went to the private part of Laconia Airport and asked if anyone would be interested in flying our group around if we paid for the gas. Sure enough we found a pilot who was happy to get some air time in exchange for gas. We had a great 75 minute flight and it was much less than we would have paid for the seaplane tour. I can't remember if it was his plane or if we also shared the cost of a rental. Either way, our group thought it was a bargain and well worth what we spent.

I don't know how many helicopter pilots are around Laconia Airport but you might consider that. Maybe look around for some private 'copters and ask the owner. Post 9-11 that may not be as easy as it was years ago - just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-int
SOLO:
Was that a spelling error? You mean your first few flights where you are flying SO LOW over the terrain. You didn't mean that you otherwise would be flying SO HIGH..... did you? With apologies to Harry Chapin and his song TAXI - "we'd be flying so high when we're stoned"

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Mr. V

Helicopter rides are especially attractive if you fly and then land at an exciting destination, e.g. we flew to a glacier in Juneau.

Are there any such possible destinations at the lake?

None come to mind.

Otherwise, a plane flight would work just fine, and should be cheaper.
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
flyguy

Default Sure, for big bucks!

You'll find JBI Helicopter in Pembroke offers a Jet Ranger for only $1,250/hour. OR, you can get a tiny little Robinson R-22 (2 seater) for only $200/hour from CR Helicopter- problem is they fly out of Nashua.

The very LAST thing I would do is accept one of the first rides in a newly restored antique chopper!

FYI- paying expenses to a private owner is usually borderline legal on his/her part, and should anything bad happen, you will most likely NOT be covered under their insurance. Just something to be aware of.

Why would you want a helicopter instead of a fixed-wing plane anyway?
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
garysanfran

Default Helicopter rides over San Francisco

A number of years ago, for a donation of at least $150, a local radio station - KGO, would allow two passengers to ride their traffic reporting flight. My girlfriend and I spent over two hours flying over San Francisco and the Bay Area. We took about 200 photos. A fantastic experience. I think the donation, today, is about $500...Still a bargain.

Flyguy - I've spent a bit of time in fixed wing small planes and a few flights in helicopters...It's a totally different experience. Comparing the two is not a good comparison. I love your photos.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Helicopter fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Helicopter rides are especially attractive if you fly and then land at an exciting destination, e.g. we flew to a glacier in Juneau.

Are there any such possible destinations at the lake?

None come to mind.

Otherwise, a plane flight would work just fine, and should be cheaper.
Actually there are fun things to do in a helo ride over the Winni area. I don't know if you'd call them exciting. For example the random dropping of crayfish (anyone remember WKRP ?) away from their natural habitat. Then there's the not random dropping of poo on ....
Old 08-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Flyguy - I've spent a bit of time in fixed wing small planes and a few flights in helicopters...It's a totally different experience. Comparing the two is not a good comparison. I love your photos.
I agree. (I've also got a Commercial Helicopter license.) But for sightseeing around the lake, a fixed wing is just as good- and it doesn't annoy quite so many people on the ground!

& Thanks for the kudos.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote