Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
dmjr

Default NHIS Being Sold

I just heard that NHIS is being sold and possibly the loss of one race date. I think that this will be a huge loss to the state economy.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
NHskier

More info on the rumored sale at:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...42?FSO2&ATT=MA

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
dmjr

I know alot of people think that the race traffic and detours are a pain, but I think everyone has to look past that and look at the economic impact it will have by loosing one race date. I think it a bad thing for NH
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default This is not totally surprising

Although I am a bit surprised that the Bahre family actually wants to sell the track, It is not a total surprise. My quess if the rumor is true and we will know on Friday, is that the Sale is partially because if a race is dropped from NHIS, it will no longer be anywhere near as profitable.

There has been talk of NHIS loosing a race for a few years now. As an avid Nascar fan, this news has always peaked my attention. Unfortunately much like this fall the races at loudon are at time not as competitive and as fun to watch as at other venues. And no I am not an accident lover, I am a race fan who loves to see great side by side racing. It because of this that NHIS has always been targeted as a facility that doesn't deserve two races. The other issue that has come up lately is all the 1.5 mile tracks that have popped up and all the one that are in planing stages. The Cup series has limited races and there are more tracks fighting for those races. So nascar has been trying to figure out where the give and take is going to be.

What scares me most with this rumor is the involvement of SMI.... and Burton Smith.... I feel that there maybe the potential for NHIS to loose both races in the future. This would be extemely unfortuate...... Nascar is quickly loosing the good variety of tracks they once had in the cup series..... there are two many 1.5 ovals and the trend seems to be to keep building them..... why??? well in my opinion it because business men realize that the new 1.5 mile ovals have the potential to make more money then a 1 mile oval.....or a .5 mile oval.... The only small races ways that are safe are Bristol and Martinsville and there traditions are deep....

Anyways enough rambling..... this is bad news.... and if NHIS looses a race the economic impact will be noticiable..... the question just becomes which race will these loose....
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
dmjr

Either way, If I were to guess which race would be a loss, it is a toss up. both races bring in lots of revenue to the state. New England recently has been fortunate with sports in general ( ie,Red Sox winning the world series & the pats). If both races are lost, I think you will find that area go back to being the way it was before the track. Hopefully SMI will use caution.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Default WMUR reports

Somewhere around 300 million pricetag? I can't see spending that money to sink the track. Maybe there will be other events brought in. I have always hoped they would utilize more of the property, maybe add a Dragstrip to host NHRA events!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
vrrooom

Default NHIS Being Sold

Let there be no doubt the sale of NHIS is all about taking away one of the races. The new 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks have seating capacity much larger (20/30%) than NHIS. My back of the envelope calculations would indicate that you could pay for the acquisition on NHIS in 2/3 years with one race at a new track. Bob Bahre has been a great gift to NH, the thousands of people who work at the track, both for themselves and charites will miss not only the racing but the generous way they were treated by NHIS. Smith or IMS (France co.) are both publicly held companies, whos operating model is making money. They are good business people, so things at the track will change dramatically when a sale takes place.

Thanks again to Bob and the Bahre family for a great contribution to the Lakes Region and the State as we move into a new phase of motor sports in the north east.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
idigtractors

There was talk with J. Henry of the Rex Sox about a month ago to purchase said track. Both parties were really hoping something could be done as they didn't want to lose the race dates and have them moved from NH. The talk at that time was a price tag of 300M. By what I read here, that deal never came about.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

He probably wants to sell because he is tired. He is around 84 now. They do travel a lot, so maybe figures he should enjoy life now. I understand his son does not want to take over the track.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
Beggaman Thief

LIforrelaxin – I know what you mean by the cookie cutter 1-1/2 mile tracks popping up everywhere, but keep in mind, races are not selling out like they used to and TV ratings are dropping. This is partly due to the cookie cutter tracks not producing good racing, the show being too homogenized and over saturation.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but I find it hard to believe that Smith would pull dates from the New England market….
Beggaman Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
AC2717

Default This just in

Just spoke to a Friend in the know. The track has been indeed sold, nothing about loosing a race at NHIS has been discussed nor was it in the deal. They could not get rid of one of the races it is too important especially because NASCAR does not have as big as a hold on New England as it does everywhere else. The owner has an unfortunate illness (would not tell me what) and because of his age he decided to sell. That is all he would and could tell me.
I do not think they will get rid of one of the races either.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
dmjr

It would not suprise me if Bruton Smith would pull all of the dates since last night on the news they referred to him as sometimes "politically incorrect at times"
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Skip

Question Las Vegas steals a date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggaman Thief
...I don’t have a crystal ball, but I find it hard to believe that Smith would pull dates from the New England market….
Its all about the money. Smith has desperately wanted to add a second race to his Las Vegas track, a track that pulls in much more revenue than NHIS. While the 2008 schedule is locked, I have to agree with LI and will go further out on a limb and predict Smith pulls the fall race at NHIS and moves it to Las Vegas, with Vegas then becoming the first race in the chase.

A number of folks smarter with numbers than I surmise that a simple move like that could net Smith a full return on his investment is as little as 3 to 5 years.

NHIS is great, I am a season ticket holder to both races. But I have also been to the Vegas race, and with Vegas next door as the main side attraction it is easy to see why Smith is eager to grab a date from NH.

Long range most dire predictions out there? Smith also owns Texas Motor Speedway. Some think that once the dust settles from the Las Vegas deal, Smith will eventually take the remaining NH race and move it to Texas, where he also wants a two date schedule.

Either way, if you have season tickets to the spring race I would suggest you hang on to them very tightly!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

from the Laconia Citizen:
Quote:
Report: Bahre Set to Sell NHIS

LOUDON — It may be the end of an era.

According to numerous media outlets and first reported by the Boston Globe, New Hampshire International Speedway owner Bob Bahre has agreed to sell the state's superspeedway to O. Bruton Smith, CEO and chairman of Speedway Motorsports Incorporated. There is an announcement set for today at the Texas Motorspeedway where the company plans to announce "big news." It has been speculated that Bahre and SMI will consummate the deal at that time.

"We have nothing new to report," said NHIS Public Relations Director Fred Neergaard when contacted Thursday afternoon.

Attempts to reach SMI for comment were unsuccessful.

SMI is a giant in the world of motorsports. The company owns Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., which host one Cup event, and Atlanta Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C., Bristol Motor Speedway in Tenn. and Texas Motorspeedway, which host two Cup dates.

The potential sale of the Magic Mile leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It has been no secret that SMI wants another date for their Las Vegas Motorspeedway which would mean that it could take a date from the 1.058-mile oval. Nothing is expected to change for the upcoming season here in the Granite State. The Cup schedule is out for next season and some tracks already are selling tickets to those events.

The Loudon races at the Magic Mile play a key part in deciding NASCAR's Nextel Cup champion. The Lenox Industrial Tools 300 in July is the first of 10 races that serve as a prelude to the "Chase for the Nextel Cup" which incidentally kicks off at NHIS with the Sylvania 300 in September.

Bahre has long been considered the father of Cup racing here in the Granite State. Despite plenty of skepticism, the 80-year old bought the old Bryar Motorsports Park in 1989 and transformed it into a 1.058-mile superspeedway the next year. The track has sold out 26 consecutive races since, as 101,000 people pack the stands every race which is the largest sporting event in New England. This surely made the 1.058-mile oval so attractive for Smith and SMI.

Over the last year, Bahre has also left hints that he may be ready to put the 1.058-mile oval on the block. Bahre had discussions with Red Sox owner John Henry and Chief Operating Officer Mike Dee about selling the Magic Mile, he told FoxSports.com back in July. He described it at the time as a high profile potential buyer in a long line of suitors.

"There's always somebody talking," Bahre told FoxSports.com. "I've talked to Mike Dee and John Henry, and they act like someday they might want to do something. They called and said they want to talk, so we talked. I'm going on 81, so someday I want to do something with the track."

This is not the first time Bahre and Smith have worked together. The duo jointly purchased North Wilkesboro Speedway in 1996, transferring that track's Cup races — one to NHIS and the other to Texas Motorspeedway. Smith was ranked No. 207 on the Forbes 400 list with an estimated worth of $1.5 billion in 2005, and fell to 278 — worth an estimated $1.4 billion — in 2006.

The NASCAR Nextel Cup Series returns to Texas Motor Speedway this weekend for the Dickies 500.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
dmjr

Who is going to televise the press confernce?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
. The track has been indeed sold, nothing about loosing a race at NHIS has been discussed nor was it in the deal. They could not get rid of one of the races it is too important especially because NASCAR does not have as big as a hold on New England as it does everywhere else.
They will not announce droping a race until they have too. And currently I believe that both races have sponsership contracts for the next few years. Which mean most likely in the short term nothing will happen. But when the sponsorship contracts end then the worry will begin. Because the sponser will want to be at the big ritzy tracks.... and I am sorry but NHIS while it is a nice facility is far from being on par with the other newer tracks.

As for worry about the New England Market place and pulling both races... Nascar will not care. It has become a big money making machine. Other tracks are just as likely to sell out and hold more people. Therefore business wise it is a smart move..... Nascar never worried about the northeast before loudon, and it will not bug them to leave it behind. For goodness sake look at what happened to the Southern 500..... a deep routed tradition..... and North Wilksboro speedway

Now something I did learn about the Nascar trips out west and tracks that should loose a race... is that none of the Vendor operators like going out to California....I talked to one lady while purchasing my Jeff Burton hat this year.... and she said that her and her husband enjoy the life, they get to travel and always have a day or two of free time, except when they head to California.... in California the Race never sells out and it is one of there lowest sale venues.....and to top it off they have no time to relax.....

In short Nascar has quickly become about money... Thats why smaller tracks have left the schedule.... North Wilkesboro is now deserted and looks like hell....In order for NHIS to survive it is going to need to be improved, and they do have the room to do it.... the question is will Burton Smith and SMI do it. My quess is not.... it would mean investing a lot more money, and they already have other tracks they could move the races too.....

The only true hope for Racing in the Northeast now is that someone finds some land and build a bigger higher speed track......

But that just my opinion.... man i wish we could rewind back to the old days..... when racing wasn't filled with money hungry people.....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #17
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Long range most dire predictions out there? Smith also owns Texas Motor Speedway. Some think that once the dust settles from the Las Vegas deal, Smith will eventually take the remaining NH race and move it to Texas, where he also wants a two date schedule.
Texas Motor Speedway has had two races since 2005. This year they had a race in April and a second race takes place this weekend.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #18
Joanna16

Default Reached it's peak?

NASCAR and the people with the power will do what they wish. Not what the fans want.
You all know I am a huge NASCAR fan and we travel all over the US to races - you can bet money that within 5 years there will be no racing in NH.
Smith and Bahre bought N. Wilsboro to take over the 2 dates that track had and then dumped the track. Iam sure that Smith has done the same thing here.
I am sad to hear the Bahre is not well and that possibly his son did not want to run the business - I am sure those are only 2 factors that went into the sale decision.
No matter what it is a great loss to the state of NH and all of New England.

BUT - for those of you season ticket holding fans . . take note:
We have or season tickets for Vegas & Miami b/c we were already season ticket holders for NHIS - so if you are looking to make some trips hold tightly to your tickets and wait for the envelope in the mail that come with your opportunity to go to Vegas in the Fall of '09.

AND - keep in mind NASCAR has the final say on all Date Chages.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
.... North Wilkesboro is now deserted and looks like hell....
The only true hope for Racing in the Northeast now
is that someone finds some land and build a bigger higher speed track......
Those images of North Wilkesboro today haunt me, with grass growing thru the track and all.....

Lets just hope that Fenway Roush Racing has a say in all this. Mr. Henry has 3 things going for him, deep pockets, a pretty good reputation of making winners out of non-winners, and a HUGE north east fanbase.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Coverage

looks like speed channel has it.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
Beggaman Thief

Default Right from SMI's Website

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ar&id=1071914&

Note - "the seventh-largest market (New Hampshire/Boston)"
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Default Saw a little bit of the announcement on Speed

Speed did indeed have a little bit of the anouncement ... Hopefully they will show more of it later.... What I noticed most of all was that Bruton was very closed liped when asked about moving the races.... I can't recall the exact words but it was something like we aren't ready to speak about that yet....Time will tell what happens....

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 11-02-2007 at 10:45 PM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
secondcurve

"$340,000,000 in cash". I guess Bob will be able to pay his property taxes on his Lake Winnipesaukee house for a couple more years. I still wish he had turned the old boys camp into a park, but that is another topic.

Can someone answer a simple question for me, a non-NASCAR person? How can the new owner ever make money on this endeavor after paying $340,000,000 to buy the track? There are only two dates a year at the track and it seats 92,000 people. I know there are sponsorships and so forth, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does anything else go on at the track the other 363 days a year? How much do they charge the average guy to see a race?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #24
GWC...

Quote:
Speed did indeed have a little bit of the anouncement ... Hopefully they will show more of it later.... What I noticed most of all was that Burton was very closed liped when asked about moving the races.... I can't recall the exact words but it was something like we aren't ready to speak about that yet....Time will tell what happens....
#1 poker rule - never show your hand...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
trfour

Default From Nascar's website

FORT WORTH, Texas -- NASCAR's track in New Hampshire has a new name, a new logo, and a new owner. And for now, still two Nextel Cup race dates.
Bruton Smith's Speedway Motorsports Inc. on Friday announced a $340 million agreement to purchase the 1-mile facility, giving the track magnate two more coveted dates on NASCAR's premier series. The question now becomes whether Smith, who added dates to his Texas Motor Speedway by purchasing tracks in North Wilkesboro and Rockingham, N.C., will eventually shift one of New Hampshire's races to his gleaming facility in Las Vegas.

Bet on it!

Bruton Smith says he doesn't plan on moving a race to Vegas from New Hampshire but Joe Menzer says the sale doesn't make sense unless he does.

"I have no plans to move anything or do anything," Smith said when the deal was announced Friday morning. But it's still early in the process; the sale won't even close until the first quarter of next season, and Smith -- who struck the deal with former owner Bob Bahre only last week, and had to disclose financial terms because SMI is a public company -- said any assumptions as to what he'll do with the property are premature.
But Chris Powell, general manager of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, clearly wants another date to complement the one his track currently hosts in March. SMI recently sank millions into the Las Vegas facility to revamp the racing surface and the garage area.
"I think there's more of an opening now then we've ever had," said Powell, who attended Friday's announcement at Texas. "That is not to say anything negative about New Hampshire Motor Speedway and the great job that's been done up there for years. I use to work at R.J. Reynolds, went up to New Hampshire every year, and enjoyed every trip I made. Lake Winnipesaukee is one of the most beautiful places on earth. But at the same time, Bruton has made a big investment in our speedway, and the best way to get a return on that investment is to do more business."
New Hampshire Motor Speedway -- the "international" from its name has been dropped -- has sold out every Cup race since it debuted on the schedule in 1993, and routinely attracts more than 100,000 people to a region with deep short-track roots. It's also close to Boston, one of the large Northeastern cities that NASCAR has worked to make inroads in, and holds a prominent place as the first stop in the Chase.
Even if Smith wanted to move a race, he couldn't do it for next season. Those sanctioning agreements are already signed, reminded NASCAR chairman Brian France.
"While we don't have any details about SMI's plans for [New Hampshire], all sanctions for 2008 have been signed and finalized. As a result, there will be no location changes to the 2008 schedule that was released last month. This is important to the fans, competitors, broadcast partners and sponsors who have already made plans for the 2008 races," France said Friday in a statement.
"Looking beyond 2008, NASCAR will continue to consider requests by any track operator, including SMI, to relocate race dates. Under NASCAR's realignment plan, we have worked with track owners to relocate race dates to meet the needs of our growing national fan base. Ultimately, any change must meet NASCAR's objectives and serve our fans."
NASCAR has left it up to racetrack corporations, like SMI and rival International Speedway Corp., to move race dates within their own framework. ISC took that path in moving events to California and Phoenix, while SMI did the same in moving races to Texas. But in each case, those dates came from tracks that were underperforming at the ticket office, in geographic locations unattractive to sponsors, or both.
New Hampshire, a sold-out facility in a key Northeastern market, is different. NASCAR likes having two races in the greater Boston area, and might not be quite so willing to allow SMI to simply move one of them somewhere else. The track corporations may have the freedom to move dates, but NASCAR still makes the schedule.
"I they overstate it if they say, you get to move them around within your own [company]. I don't think it's anywhere close to that simple," said Texas track president Eddie Gossage. "They still approve the schedule. I don't think it's as easy as us picking up the phone and saying, 'We're moving A to Z and Z to A.' They're not going to go, 'OK, thanks for calling. Appreciate you letting us know.' They may go, 'Well, there's California to consider.' It's never that simple."

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Can someone answer a simple question for me, a non-NASCAR person? How can the new owner ever make money on this endeavor after paying $340,000,000 to buy the track? There are only two dates a year at the track and it seats 92,000 people. I know there are sponsorships and so forth, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does anything else go on at the track the other 363 days a year? How much do they charge the average guy to see a race?
Good question Second Curve I will attempt to answer with what I know. First and formost you have the tickets sales. And although not as expensive as the cup race you have to remember there is a admitance fee every day for qualifying and the other races. The cup race ticket are from 80 to 110 dollars for the grandstand, not know where the actual average price is across the venue I would guess ticket sales are between 7 to 9 million dollars. Then you have the luxary boxes, unfortunatly I have no idea what one of those goes for or how many of them there are. From there everyone that brings a tailer or motorcoach for the weekend pays a fee... once again I am not sure how much the pay... but there are a lot of motorcoachs and trailers there. Then you have all the vendor's that buy space. And I would imagine those cost a little coin. Then add in all the sponsor ship money etc. there is a lot of money coming into the track on a Cup weekend. So there are multiple sources of income on race weekend. Not that they add up to 340,000,000 in the short term....But SMI is not worried about the short term. And yes There are other events held at NHIS.... Motorcycle races, vintage car and scca races etc. None of these probably generate much revenue, except the motorcycle races, but they keep activity going on.

The issue becomes that SMI is a bussiness and they will do what is in the best interest of the business, and if and when these NHIS dates can be moved to other tracks where they can make more money on Race weekends they will..... As I was looking at some things today, I got reminded of the fate of yet another track.... Rockingham..... the Rock, another track deep in the traditions of NASCAR no longer has a CUP race.... And who is responsible for this why SMI of course....

It is unfortunate that Nascar seems to have a two entity monopoly going on for "Winston Cup" (sorry I am a long time fan and it will always be the Winston cup to me) events..... SMI and ISC own just about all of the tracks now....and right now I am having trouble fiquring out which ones aren't owned by one of the two..... And they are going to move races as they see fit to make the most money....

Alright I will get off my soap box, about how angry I am over this.... Hopefully I will be wrong and NHIS will only lose one race... but I have my doubts.....
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
Taz

Default Monopoly?

If only 2 companies own most of the tracks will the federal government step in and break this up some? I remember back in the mid 90's when Les Otten purchased several New England ski areas he was forced to sell some because of an issue with a monopoly. Cranmore was was one of those ski areas that he sold.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I have heard they make 10million a race. 32 races-----
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #29
Aquadeziac

Default Oh My Lord!!!

To hear some of these people talk there was never any life here before 1990! If the track is sold, life will go on! If both races are taken away, life will go on! If you build a buisness on or around an unsurety such as NHIS you can't whine if that unsurety dries up. In an interview, the owner of Red Roof Inn in Loudon fears losing everything because he admitedly built his business on the assumption that NHIS would last forever. Bad move Skippy. I personally can't wait for the day they hang the "Closed" sign on the gates and have the huge "Going out of business" yard sale. How are all you fans likin' Savior Bob Bahre now? Yes, he put Loudon NH on the map, and looks like with one closing of the wallet he may take it off! At least Loudon will still end up with its ladder truck Bob bought the Fire Dept. Its not going to be long before Bahre goes from being the Saving Angel to being the $h!t under their feet because he had the audacity to sell HIS track. How long before all the businesses form a class action suit against Bahre because HE sold HIS track and jeopardizes THEIR financial future?! Maybe they can put in a tractor pull pit to keep the Redneck population happy. Tractor pulling and NASCAR racing are kinda the same, right??
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #30
secondcurve

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
To hear some of these people talk there was never any life here before 1990! If the track is sold, life will go on! If both races are taken away, life will go on! If you build a buisness on or around an unsurety such as NHIS you can't whine if that unsurety dries up. In an interview, the owner of Red Roof Inn in Loudon fears losing everything because he admitedly built his business on the assumption that NHIS would last forever. Bad move Skippy. I personally can't wait for the day they hang the "Closed" sign on the gates and have the huge "Going out of business" yard sale. How are all you fans likin' Savior Bob Bahre now? Yes, he put Loudon NH on the map, and looks like with one closing of the wallet he may take it off! At least Loudon will still end up with its ladder truck Bob bought the Fire Dept. Its not going to be long before Bahre goes from being the Saving Angel to being the $h!t under their feet because he had the audacity to sell HIS track. How long before all the businesses form a class action suit against Bahre because HE sold HIS track and jeopardizes THEIR financial future?! Maybe they can put in a tractor pull pit to keep the Redneck population happy. Tractor pulling and NASCAR racing are kinda the same, right??

It sounds like someone had a tough Friday! On another front, does anyone know what Bob Bahare paid for his track?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #31
NHskier

According to "Live Free, Drive Fast" by Allen Lessels (Plaidswede Publishing, 2006) Bahre's original investment in the track was $10-14 million.

From the context, that $ amount would appear to have included purchase of Bryar Motorsports Park and initial construction.

NHskier
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #32
NHskier

Regarding a monopoly in ownership - while it's true track ownership is dominated by two firms it has been that way for years now. As I recall the last big merger was when Roger Penske sold his tracks (California, Michigan, and ??) to Bruton Smith/Speedway Motorsports some number of years ago. So I'd expect that if the federal government was concerned about a monopoly that would have been the point at which they would have stepped in rather than now with NHIS.

That said, the Bush administration has not been terribly concerned about monopoly situations, also reducing the chance of this sale being contested.

With the sale of NHIS I believe Dover is now the only remaining independently-owned track.

NHskier
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #33
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier

With the sale of NHIS I believe Dover is now the only remaining independently-owned track.

NHskier
This is a fairly good article on the sale of NHIS. It also states that with the sale of NHIS there are 3 independant tracks left... Pocono, and Dover are specifically mentioned, and Indy would be the third.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...813162&ATT=167
Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Anyone know what the town uses for an assessed value on the NHIS? Should be a publc record?

So, looking at 340m, is that 150 for each race event and 40 for the track, or something?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #35
Coolbreeze

Why doesn't the state buy it and run it as a business. I'm sure other racing venues can be done there other than a well as NASCAR. How about slot machines too? I'm sure that would peak the economy a bit. (Just a question don't let me have it all at once...I'm very sensitive)
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Good point, Breeze, a casino w/ slots.....why not? Spending thirty dollars at the Cumby Farm for a state scratch ticket is already gambling so the state is already in up to its' waist. Plus, the state has state liquor stores all over the state. There's a brand new one at exit 28 that is so empty of customers no normal business would ever locate there, except for the state.

If NH builds a casino, people will come! Come to Loudon and win big at the Granite State Speedway Casino.........aka Speedy Casino !

Otherwise,, after one race moves to Vegas, and then the next year, the other race moves to Texas, the racetrack could end up a venue for a permanent flea market and weekend yard sales. Hey, I like yard sales! Could be a good thing! Oops, might be a bad thing! Oops, might have to raise the tolls at Hooksett up to two dollars.....I dunno......things are moving too fast?

...maybe you want to google Bruton Smith wikipedia...
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #37
trfour

Default More From Bruton Smith..

at Fridays news conference, Fort Worth Texas.

But it’s also important to fans in New England, who have supported what will come to be called New Hampshire Motor Speedway, to know what will happen in 2009 and beyond.
“Don’t be nervous,” Smith said when asked to address potential anxiety among that fan base. “... In buying speedways, we’ve always done some great things. I am expecting to do some great things in New Hampshire as well. ... We will make enough changes there that you will have to like some of them.”
Smith has made remarkable changes at Bristol, Atlanta, Las Vegas and Infineon, and he redid the track here twice at this $350 million showplace trying to get it right.
He’s contemplating big change of one kind or another at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, too – either spending millions to renovate it or building a whole new track as a result of a spat with the city of Concord over his plans to build a drag strip. Smith said Friday that his New Hampshire purchase doesn’t impact his decisions about the Charlotte move one way or another.
But Smith also bought Rockingham, harvested its date and shut it down. He also got a date when he bought 50 percent of North Wilkesboro. Bob Bahre had the other half of the defunct North Wilkesboro property, but that’s part of the deal announced Friday, too.
Chris Powell, the general manager of Smith’s track in Las Vegas, stood at the edge of the stage the whole time. After the news conference, Powell was surrounded by reporters and said he’d lobby to get a second race for his track each year.
I think he’ll get it, but I am not yet 100 percent convinced it will be at New Hampshire’s expense.
Atlanta had a lot of empty seats last week, and there haven’t been many of those in the years New Hampshire has hosted Cup races.
With the deal expected to close early next year, the 2008 races at New Hampshire would be held under Smith’s reign.

I think that bigger and better will be comming to NHMS !

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 11-04-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #38
Just Sold

Unhappy No Tax data or valuation data available on line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Anyone know what the town uses for an assessed value on the NHIS? Should be a publc record?

So, looking at 340m, is that 150 for each race event and 40 for the track, or something?
Unfortunately the town does not have the tax cards or appraised property values available on line unlike a majority of towns do. One thing you can get is a lot of business info in the form of company business cards. There are ads for various local businesses on the bottom left and right of the home page. Hmmm never seen a town sell advertizing on their official web site. Is there a conflict here??? Call the ethics board!!!

So for tax information you have to call the town. Appraisal and tax cards are public records.

Check it out for yourself. http://www.loudonnh.org/
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #39
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
I think that bigger and better will be comming to NHMS !
Only time will tell.... The more I have thought about this the one thing NHIS or NHMS if you will.... has going for it is the land..... Even if a Cup race is pulled there is the potential to get other events in there.......

On the flipside if they start to develop the land more I question two things..... how much trouble will the tree huggers make......and is any of the adjacent land available.........

I am still not a fan of this deal..... mainly because I have seen historical tracks and races dumped by the two track giants..... but maybe if there is some development to the facility.... maybe a dirt track, drag strip, or revamp of the current track (e.g. increased progressive banking, or total reconfig)..... it might have the potential to all come out in the wash
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #40
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
Just spoke to a Friend in the know. The track has been indeed sold, nothing about loosing a race at NHIS has been discussed nor was it in the deal. They could not get rid of one of the races it is too important especially because NASCAR does not have as big as a hold on New England as it does everywhere else. The owner has an unfortunate illness (would not tell me what) and because of his age he decided to sell. That is all he would and could tell me.
I do not think they will get rid of one of the races either.
It looks as if this friend didn't speak to someone that knew what was going on as it looks as if he did not hit the nail on the head in most of his predictions.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #41
AC2717

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors
It looks as if this friend didn't speak to someone that knew what was going on as it looks as if he did not hit the nail on the head in most of his predictions.
I had not heard of anything different to be honest, I am going to have to check with my source, I do not like to be wrong, especially on this forum, it can get the best of yeah. I will be back with more info
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #42
Beggaman Thief

Default Here's another angle

This link http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot....t-at-nhis.html takes you to an article on “Here’s What to Expect at NHIS”. Mr. Moody is very credible and is usually right on with his reporting......
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #43
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
This link http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot....t-at-nhis.html takes you to an article on “Here’s What to Expect at NHIS”. Mr. Moody is very credible and is usually right on with his reporting......
Beggaman,

Thanks for posting this article. It was an interesting read... and definately a new spin on things.... How be it a spin that makes to much sense not to happen..... The bigger stink then loosing the race at loudon is that it weakens the chase in my mind.... but then again I think the chase needs more short track action to begin with......
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #44
Paugus Bay Resident

Kind of interesting that Bruton Smith and Bob Bahre jointly purchased Wilkesboro Speedway (1996) to split its 2 races between Loudon and Texas.

Here are a couple of articles from NASCAR's site.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opin...llo/index.html

I wouldn't be surprised if he reconfigures the track (ala Dover), adds seating (to partially make up for the lost race revenue) and moves 1 race to Vegas.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #45
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
I wouldn't be surprised if he reconfigures the track (ala Dover), adds seating (to partially make up for the lost race revenue) and moves 1 race to Vegas.
I have thought about whether or not that might happen myself. However I realized one thing in that thought. I the track was reconfigured some and more seating added with out disturbing what is already in place, he would have to move the hill behind the back straight away thus eleminating the road course. Now wouldn't that put a damper on some other events.... and remember the only thing SMI is really worried about is Nascar Cup events anything else is just gravy to them.... So if they ruined the road course it really wouldn't matter to them.....

The other option would be to do a total tare down and rebuild.... but I can't imagine SMI is going to want to do that....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #46
ossipeeboater

Quote:
I have thought about whether or not that might happen myself. However I realized one thing in that thought. I the track was reconfigured some and more seating added with out disturbing what is already in place, he would have to move the hill behind the back straight away thus eleminating the road course. Now wouldn't that put a damper on some other events.... and remember the only thing SMI is really worried about is Nascar Cup events anything else is just gravy to them.... So if they ruined the road course it really wouldn't matter to them.....

The other option would be to do a total tare down and rebuild.... but I can't imagine SMI is going to want to do that....
NHIS needs a total tear down and rebuild, had it been done a few years ago when they repaved it to be more like Dover NHIS would stand a better chance of keeping 2 races. NASCAR needs an outpost in the Northeast and right now NHIS is the only game in town with the demise of the Staten Island track.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
NHIS needs a total tear down and rebuild, had it been done a few years ago when they repaved it to be more like Dover NHIS would stand a better chance of keeping 2 races. NASCAR needs an outpost in the Northeast and right now NHIS is the only game in town with the demise of the Staten Island track.
I don't disagree... however after spending 340 million dollars to purchase the track, I don't believe SMI is going to want to spend millions more in renovations or total rebuild .... at least not at the outset..... especially if the State of NH doesn't cooperate with them and build a better infustructure to get people in and out of the raceway. Remember that is bound to be part of any expansion plan. Does anyone have any idea on where NH stands on improving access to the track? I ceretainly have no idea and am curious.

As for Nascar needing an outpost in the Northeast.... in their minds they have Pocono and Watkins Glen as well..... And there are other areas of the country like the Pacific Northwest where they would like to get established as well... There has been talk for several years about the building of a track in Washington State.

While I agree that it would hurt Nascar in New England to not improve the facility and to move one or both races from the area. I believe that there are more profitable oppertunities else where. Even within the Northest there are better areas to build a track.

I don't want to see either race disappear from NH. Especially where the only one I go watch is the September date, which is most likely to disappear first. But you have to look at the vision of where Nascar seems currently to be headed. That vision is towards the larger Venues the 1.5 mile tracks with lots of seats and room for expansion. To think that SMI plans to spend 340 million to buy the facility and then plans to spend Millions more to tear down and start over to improve the facility is not something I am inclined to believe at this momment. And as with my last post this track is used for other things as well and if SMI decides to "start over" with the facility... there will be no guarantee that a road course will be part of the redesign.... which will cause an issue for other long running traditions like The Loudon Classic.....

Maybe the future will prove me wrong and I will be the first to admit it if it does. But it is selfish of the people in this area to believe that SMI and NASCAR will hesitate in removing the dates from NHMS (the former NHIS).

Time will tell where this all heads. But with all I have read and heard about I don't see NH staying in this Nascar Sprint Cup series much more then a few years.....
Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #48
Beggaman Thief

Default Some more benchracin'

Here’s another great article by Dave Moody that pretty much sums up the history and what to expect from NHIS…..http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot....hanks-bob.html
Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #49
Winnigirl

NHIS had problems finding sponsors for their NASCAR dates which was part of the problem. SMI will DEFINITELY move at least one of the races to Vegas. Bruton has been foaming at the mouth waiting to grab a date from another track.

NASCAR is committed to having another track in the New England/New York area. The number of metro NYC fans has jumped considerably in the past several years and NASCAR is really dying to capitalize on that. It is really just a matter of real estate at this point.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #50
trfour

Default Story from Bob Bahre

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...gle.html#page2

Scroll up to page one.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #51
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
Interesting to read Bahre's thoughts...... the article as a whole was interesting to read. Over all though it all comes back to the same thing Bruton is in control now, and will do what he sees fit. A couple of points I think worth point out...

1) not that there is a big difference between 340 million, and 360 million but at least Bahre, didn't sell out to the highest bidder......

2) There was a good reference to the kind of jerk Bruton is offering Wilkesboro as "Christmas gift"...... a guy that makes a comment like that is not a guy worth trusting..... joking or not.....

It will be interesting in seeing what happens over the next few years.....

Oh yeah.... thank goodness Kentucky didn't get to by NHIS, Because as the article say that would have been the begining of the end for the Magic Mile...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #52
trfour

Hi LIforrelaxin,

Good points of view.

All due respect to the writers that think NHIS will forfeit one or both races any time in the future, as a result of ownership change, doesn’t fly… We are Not talking, North Wilkesboro or Rockingham here!

Bruton Smith has more business Big Picture sense than some would give him credit.

Some of the writers, I noticed, gave a sentence or two about how” Nascar writes the schedule” and would work with multitrack Organizations to swap races-dates within their tracks.

Given NHIS’s Gleaming Performance, Fan base and track record from day one, puts a whole new light on anyone taking a race or two from here. And also the multigroove side by side racing since Bob had the track resurfaced made it one of the best short tracks on the circuit and in the Country. Nascar will put it’s fans first on this one, and Nascar will have the last word.

I’ve been a Nascar fan for over 55 years. Was I happy about North Wilkesboro and the Rock being taken off the schedule?... No.

Am I happy with the new name at NHIS? No. I will still buy tickets and enjoy the races there though and it will always be NHIS to me.

A little side note; Just recently AT&T felt wronged in a dispute and took Nascar to Court only to have the judge rule in favor of Nascar.

See ya at the races J

Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 11-09-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #53
trfour

Quote:
Here’s another great article by Dave Moody that pretty much sums up the history and what to expect from NHIS…..http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot....hanks-bob.html
Hi Beggaman Thief,

Please do not let Mr. Bahre read the above article! It would turn his thaught prosess upside down.

I give Dave Moody, or any writer for that matter, their opinions and speculations. However, I also think that they at the very least should get the facts straight.

"At nearly 82 years of age, “Papa Bahre” has earned the right to do what he wants with his remaining years, without the stress and strain of running a big-time NASCAR race venue".

Bob Bahre is 80 going on 81 years old.

That being said, I'll stick to Nascar and that'sracin.com for my Nascar news and commentary.

Thank you

Last edited by trfour; 11-11-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #54
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Nhis

Bruton Smith brought NHIS to make money, not because he likes New England race fans. To maximize the earnings of SMI, Speedway Motorsports Inc, he probably will take a cup date away from New Hampshire and move it to one of his more profitable tracks. He will probably move the fall chase date to Las Vegas. NASCAR is a big business based on a sport. The France family and Burton Smith are NASCAR. The France family owns NASCAR and 12 of the 22 NASCAR cup tracks. They also own the television rights to NASCAR races and most of the souvenir, apparel and dies cast rights. It should be called “FRANCECAR” not NASCAR. The other big player, Bruton Smith now owns 7 tracks that host NASCAR cup events. Now that Bob Bahre sold out, there are only 2 independent tracks left, Pocono and Indy that host NASCAR cup events. (Dover Motor Sports, which owns Dover Downs, also owns several other tracks. Dover is their only track with cup races.) We should be happy if Burton Smith leaves us with one NASCAR cup event in 2009.

Last edited by moose tracks; 11-12-2007 at 02:16 PM.
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #55
codeman671

I am not a Nascar person but lets face it, you don't spend $340Mil to buy a track without a plan. Stripping NHIS of everything leaves a shell, an awful expensive shell at that. If LV or one of their other tracks has considerably more seating and/or higher ticket prices where moving a race would make a difference I could understand it, but still $340mil is not chump change and it would take a long time to offset it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #56
moose tracks

Default Nhis

The North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Carolina was sold to Bruton Smith and Bob Bahre in 1996. They closed the speedway soon after they brought it and transferred the track's cup dates. They split the dates giving one to Smith's new track in Texas and Bahre got a second date for NHIS. The only reason they paid millions for the track was for the race dates.

Last edited by moose tracks; 11-12-2007 at 02:11 PM.
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #57
LIforrelaxin

Well the truth is no matter what any of us say this is all speculation. There are good points on all sides of every arguement here. As Fans all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Codeman brings up a good point that 340 million is a lot to spend with out a plan. So one thing we can be sure of is that SMI has a plan, maybe not a complete plan, but rest assured planning has begun. I am sure that what ever happens we will all see bits and pieces of what we think is going to happen involved in what goes on.

Unfortunately the only ones who know what the plans are are Bruton, and SMI and until they open there mouths everything by everyone is speculation.....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #58
trfour

Yup, we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Statement from Brian France, NASCAR Chairman and CEO
November 2, 2007

(DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.) – Today’s announcement that Speedway Motorsports Inc. has purchased New Hampshire International Speedway is yet another indication that the NASCAR industry continues to grow and thrive. Capitalizing on NASCAR’s national appeal and growth, the Bahre family created a passionate fan base and developed a valuable venue that has hosted the largest sporting events in New England including 26 consecutive sellouts.

The success of NHIS, and the desire of the Bahre family to sell, made the track very attractive to SMI and several other interested buyers. SMI has a highly regarded record for hosting some of the most successful and enjoyable race events in all of NASCAR, and there’s no doubt that will continue.

While we don’t have any details about SMI’s plans for NHIS, all sanctions for 2008 have been signed and finalized. As a result, there will be no location changes to the 2008 schedule that was released last month. This is important to the fans, competitors, broadcast partners and sponsors who have already made plans for the 2008 races.

Looking beyond 2008, NASCAR will continue to consider requests by any track operator, including SMI, to relocate race dates. Under NASCAR’s “realignment” plan, we have worked with track owners to relocate race dates to meet the needs of our growing national fan base. Ultimately, any change must meet NASCAR’s objectives and serve our fans.

The industry owes Bob and Gary Bahre a debt of gratitude for their leadership and commitment to NASCAR. All of NASCAR wishes the Bahre family well during this time of transition. They will always be considered pioneers in NASCAR.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #59
EllyPoinster

Default The New GM at Loudon Weighs In

Article in today's Union Leader:

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...6-8001211cd088
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #60
trfour

Smile Great Article Elly!

Thank you.

To the writers who put a negative spin on NHIS's future. They seem desperate to put food on their tables. By Halloween 2009, their garbage could come back to haunt them.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #61
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster
Good Article and positive article......

One note that is very important...... in this article there is talk of expansion... but there is also talk about what the infastructure can support. (e.g. sewage, traffic, food service, parking etc).... While I see the strong possibility of one race disappearing, I think the key to not loosing both races is that expansion must take place... and for that to take place the infastructure has to be there to support it.... I think this may ultimately indicate that the furture of NHMS may lie in the hands of the people of NH and there willingness to invest in improvements to allow the expansion....(e.g. road imporvements and tax incentives for SMI while they grow the facility)..... and additionally to allow other service industries, hotels, etc to expand, and grow.....
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #62
moose tracks

Default Nhis

I think this may ultimately indicate that the furture of NHMS may lie in the hands of the people of NH and there willingness to invest in improvements to allow the expansion....(e.g. road imporvements and tax incentives for SMI while they grow the facility)..... and additionally to allow other service industries, hotels, etc to expand, and grow.....[/QUOTE]

I agree, The people of NH will need to support NHMS to allow expansion if we want to benefit from the track and NASCAR cup racing.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #63
Skip

Unhappy Pact may inhibit expansion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks
...I agree, The people of NH will need to support NHMS to allow expansion if we want to benefit from the track and NASCAR cup racing...
This PACT may prevent the new owners from implementing many ideas they may have towards future expansion.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #64
GWC...

Quote:
This PACT may prevent the new owners from implementing many ideas they may have towards future expansion.
Perfect...

That will leave the eight Canterbury residents calling themselves Concerned Racetrack Neighbors holding the bag when the two races are removed, along with 2,500 jobs and tens of millions in economic activity.

Sounds like a plan...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #65
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Skip,

Thanks for posting this article. It is an interesting glitch in what ever maybe planned for the track. It certainly seems to have some huge impacts to what can be done. I think one of the most trouble things in the ariticle, that is in the pact is a limit on the number of days racing with unmuffled vehicles can take place. If NH loses a "Cup" race it might be hard to replace the revenue lost by bring in other series to race..... I am very interested to find out what that limited number of days truely is.....

I also noticed when doing some searching trying to find information on this PACT.... that at some point I didn't grab the date the Bhares had to preserve land at the Raceway as wetlands in order to expand seating.....

All this makes the future very unstable in my mind.....
Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #66
trfour

Motorcycle weekS, have been running around here without mufflers and then some 24-7, for how many years now?

Big picture, folks. One night race at NHMS, no problemO... It's all over by 10:00 pm or so, just in time for the big fireworks shows.

Last edited by trfour; 11-18-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #67
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
Perfect...

That will leave the eight Canterbury residents calling themselves Concerned Racetrack Neighbors holding the bag when the two races are removed, along with 2,500 jobs and tens of millions in economic activity.

Sounds like a plan...
I'm sure they will sleep very well at night with no intrest in the major league hose job they might create. Too bad, thats a lot more fund raiser cookies we all need to buy.

Now?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #68
trfour

Default Good News Jan. 4th 2008

By Joe Menzer, Nascar.com.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...ack/index.html

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #69
moose tracks

Default Welcome New Hampshire Motor Speedway

Welcome New Hampshire Motor Speedway! On Friday, the track was officially sold to SMI (Bruton Smith). See link to WMUR video: http://www.wmur.com/video/15032971/index.html
Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #70
Skip

Post Still a few "bumps" in the track ahead....

Excellent article in the Union Leader that points out that both the State and local communities must be willing to work closely with the new owners. Of particular concern is that if major expansions are not entertained at the track, at least one race date could be moved to another venue.

Anyway, excellent analysis can be read further HERE at the on-line edition of the Union Leader.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #71
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Excellent article in the Union Leader that points out that both the State and local communities must be willing to work closely with the new owners. Of particular concern is that if major expansions are not entertained at the track, at least one race date could be moved to another venue.

Anyway, excellent analysis can be read further HERE at the on-line edition of the Union Leader.
Skip, Thanks for posting the ariticle. Cooperation from the State and towns will definately be a major issue, when the future of the track is at stake. It seems from earlier posts that the There where some major restrictions on expansion. And if the new owners are held to those restrictions, we might be witnessing the begininng of the end. SMI is a huge company indeed worried about profits, and one thing can be taken as fact, they will only further develop something that can see as growing and producing more and more profits for them.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #72
This'nThat

Default #340 Million cash

"The 92,000-seat speedway, run by Bob and Gary Bahre of Alton for nearly 20 years, changed hands Friday in a $340 million cash deal".

Well, maybe now Bahre will be able to spruce up his lakeside house. Finally.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #73
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Well, maybe now Bahre will be able to spruce up his lakeside house. Finally.
Not if the CSPA has anything to say about it
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #74
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
...It seems from earlier posts that the There where some major restrictions on expansion. ...
Hello all 52 people in the town of Canterbury! Its too bad, I'd hate to see money the entire state benefits from run out of town because a small group of people who "view things differently".

Now?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #75
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
Hello all 52 people in the town of Canterbury! Its too bad, I'd hate to see money the entire state benefits from run out of town because a small group of people who "view things differently".
It would indeed be sad if the few ruined it for the majority. However if the original Pact, is transfered to the new owners SMI, as I imagine it was..... it is already a negative.