Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Joanna16

Unhappy The end of another Great Season

I know we did this last year but as ritual . . . What do you do to end your season at the lake?

Ours will included our weekly hello and good by to the lake when we reach Alton.
Also I think there will be one more Friday night dinner at Giuseppes. One more camp fire, one more smores, one more steak on the grill, one more late night talk with the neighbors about how if we were rich . . . , one more close it all up and shut the hot water heater off and just on more drive home until the spring . . .

Man, if only it could be all year. I envy those who get to stay. Enjoy for all of us who only get one more . . .
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Mr. V

I am wondering whether is was busy on the lake this year?

I know posts earlier in the season were not encouraging.

Did the cottages, restaurants and other tourist centered businesses do well?

If not, why not?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default the end of the season

Well the end of the season "dance" is a long one.... Usually a week or two after labor day the boat comes out, and so does most of the dock. (i have an articulating section that stays in until the bitter end). After that I putz every weekend to finish up the projects I started. Then Colombus day the whole family comes up, we go to the Sandwich fair, and put all the outside stuff into the shed. The remaining weekends I get to enjoy the place by myself and love the peace and quiet. then usually the last week of Oct. I winch up the remaining dock section, take out the water and winterize, and then sit on the steps with my lunch and watch the lake. After lunch, a sigh always come out, as I check all the doors one last time, climb in the truck and back up the driveway looking at the lake. As a general rule I get all the way to the bridge and town beach and have to pull over... and go through my mental checklist to ensure everything is done.... while of course looking out across the lake... then I hit the road, for home......
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna16
I envy those who get to stay. Enjoy for all of us who only get one more . . .

We will, and don't forget to come back for the ice fishing derby.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
mets3007

My summer ended August 26th, man it went toooo fast. I felt like the summer flew. I remember the hype for the summer and counting the days. Now its all over til 2008 , but, everything we do closed, Ames, Lili's, Sawyers, Jon's and the trains dont run. We went once in September but found out the 4 days were a waste with everything closed. We dont do anything special our last morning since we leave at 730am to go back to NYC. I do say bye to lake Winni and Lake Winnisquam as we leave.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default Well, it's over until May...

Well...for what it's worth..
My final few days of the year are this weekend. Always find it very depressing, closing for the season in early October. During the summer, I live for my 10 PM Thursday drive up to exit 23. Takes a shade over an hour, and what a way to unwind. Nice drive, and have the place to myself Thursday nights/ all day Friday. Anyway...for us...one last boat ride, one last breakfast at Goerge's, one last camp fire, one last dart game late night with my brother in law by the fire, one last trip to Moulten Farms (corn maze this year), one last early morning ride over to Newfound to Shacketts for doughnuts, and on the final night, our 1 and only meal from Hart's...we get it to go, and it always seems to be good/very good.
Then the chores of bracing the screen house roof against the up coming snow, covering the A/C compressor, removing everything from the fridge, and all food from the camp, packing up all out door furniture, drain water heater, and all water lines and on and on it goes.....is it May yet???? I find this very depressing. Family all have camps in the area (sister, parents, etc.) and never seem to find the time to get togeher in the winter. Pull out on Monday, drop the snow blower off at Whine'ing Butcher, and drive home.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
Pull out on Monday, drop the snow blower off at Whine'ing Butcher, and drive home.

Dont forget to get some tofu for the ride home!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
idigtractors

Thumbs up

My two new seasons (Fall/Winter) are just starting and I'm looking just as forward to them as I look forward to Spring and summer. We'll be waiting for ya all to come back next spring. Remember we can visit Waldo's all winter long so they say.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
nj2nh

Default No Ritual here

We don't have much to do when we leave as we are only visitors to my parents' house. We change the sheets, wash the towels, vacuum and clean up a bit.

The last thing we do is take down the flag that flies in the back yard - the lake side. Our flag is puny compared to those of our neighbors, but having it up means, like the queen in England, that we are in residence for a while.

Actually, the last thing I do is, well, cry as we head for the Alton Circle and pass the tip of Alton Bay, saying a quiet and sad farewell for another year.

I am already counting down to next summer. It seems that when we are home, we are just biding our time until our next trip comes. Those ten months are very long.

nj2nh
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna16
I know we did this last year but as ritual . . . What do you do to end your season at the lake?
I procrastinate, that's what I do. Went up a couple of weeks ago, mid-week, for three last days and to close camp. It was soooooo beautiful, that I ended up NOT closing camp. But, as they will be pulling our dock up soon, I need to bite the bullet and get it done. Going up this weekend and the weather's meant to be great, which means I am NOT going to want to close camp!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
sa meredith

Default tonight

Although I've already added to this posting, thought I'd share a thought...
I'm sitting here in my office (at 1 PM), thinking of 9/10 PM drive tonight to Exit 23, and knowing it will be the final drive of 2007, is VERY DEPRESSING.
The final time I'll pull in, in the complete dakness, go in, fire up the water heater, do some quick set-up stuff, crack a cold one (or 7), and settle in to a ball game (tonight, good deal as Cubs playoff game does not start until 10PM) with the current edition of the Weirs Times in my lap. Been the routine all summer, and knowing this is the final time always seems to subtract from the enjoyment. Anyway...nice weather this weekend. Thinking of getting a second "final boat ride" in. Go Sox....
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
mwl

Although, if it were all year round it wouldn't be as cherished. Our first visit in the spring is by far the most exciting. I agree, it's great this time of year also but doens't have the same excitement as coming here in the spring.

Ever lived year round in Florida?
mwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Did anyone else see the really attractive woman in the bright purple shirt rowing across from Governor's Island in a one-man rowing shell. At first, I thought it was a kayaker away out there so's I checked with the binocs and hey it was a white rowing shell. That's something that's hardly ever seen. Grey skies, light rain, calm water, nary a motorboat and out of the grey along comes a purple woman rower....stroke, feather. stroke, feather, stroke, feather, and on & on ...!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
KBoater

Default Packing and going

I always have a ritual of going to sit by the lake the day before I leave. This year it was 2 day before departure. I watched one last sunset.
I sent several boxes of best loved clothes, books, papers and computer to Florida. I checked out the boat but now my family takes care of putting it away.
The cat needs his medicine. The house is left on until Xmas and it is electronically monitored for security, fire, water in cellar, and heat, so all I do is set the temperature low.
Since I have found that I usually miss something , I try to have someone go in after I leave( I’m in a rush to get all the suitcases and the animal ready at 3:00AM) and check things out for me. This year I left the outside lights on since I have to walk down the drive in the dark because of new paving.
I arrived in Florida in 90 degree weather (actually hotter than I like). I checked out the house and then checked out my new boat. This afternoon I will go on the maiden voyage .

From all you snow lovers please make sure you have some at Xmas so I can get my snow fix. I did miss the good fall color this year.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Just Sold

Talking Its not over quite yet!

I still have 2 more weekends before the Just Sold gets put away and I hope they are good ones and I can get up for a ride. A late Oct trip is just wonderful so long as it is not raining.

For those with cottages and doing closing up chores I can remember the final weekend closing the family cottage. Always a bitter sweet time but then I couldn't wait for ice out. I live close enough now that I do take some winter drives around the lake - just wonderful.

BTW camp owners don't forget to get the water line in. Last weekend I heard of a Cow Islander who had forgoten his one year and in the spring the kitchen sink was pulled completly through the counter along with other plumbing damage. That ice can move and pull anything so long as there is something to grab on to.

Also if you have central air and leave the power on for the winter do not cover the compressor completely. There is a small heater inside and the mice like the warmth and the wires. I have seen the damage they can cause and in the spring the A/C will not work and a call to the repairman will be needed. Just put a board over the top if you want to keep snow and ice out.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
We will, and don't forget to come back for the ice fishing derby.
I'll be there for an extra long stay this year. Weather and ice permitting.
Even though I had a blast last week up there, I can't wait for my favorite time of year there, Winter!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Dave M

I feel depressed writing this. Took our last ride Monday, a bit breezy. The dock is out and the Marina is taking our boat out this week to winterize it and drop it over at the camp. Will still be up the next couple of weeks to cover the boat and winterize the camp but it won't be the same. Only put on about 20 or so hours this year, to many weddings,rainy weekends,etc. Its the latest I've kept the boat in though. Did try a lot of different restaurants by boat this year. LOve to be on the water, come on May 08.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
sa meredith

Default It's funny...

The empty feeling that comes the first couple of weeks after closing up for the season, so depressing. I so look forward to my Thursday night drives up 93, and then, bang!, just like that there's no where to go on Thursday.
Gotta upgrade to the year round thing...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Waterbaby

[QUOTE=Just Sold]I live close enough now that I do take some winter drives around the lake - just wonderful.[QUOTE]

I live about 1 hour from Alton Bay, and that's close enough for winter drives up also -- what a totally different Lake in the winter! I envy you living that much closer, however!