Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
AltonGuy

Default What are/aren't we short of in the Lakes Region area?

Hello Forum! Not sure if this message will be met with conflict, but wanted to ask a general question to all regarding their thoughts on business in the area. Specifically, what are we missing for businesses (i.e. Pet Stores, Auto Parts Stores, etc.) or what do we have too much of? Thought this would be a good way for people from far and near to voice their concerns about the topic. This could help pave the way for some entrepreneurs out there!
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
jrc

I'd like to see a chain boat supply store like West Marine, or Boaters World. Those places are far from perfect but it might keep the marina store prices a little more reasonable and they might actually stock stuff. Right now all we have are the marinas and Parafunalia. I love Parafunalia but they don't have everything.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Island Life

Gilford needs a really good coffee shop.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
AC2717

Default Agree Fully

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
I'd like to see a chain boat supply store like West Marine, or Boaters World. Those places are far from perfect but it might keep the marina store prices a little more reasonable and they might actually stock stuff. Right now all we have are the marinas and Parafunalia. I love Parafunalia but they don't have everything.
I am extremly surprised especially because of the area ,that there is not one here already. Maybe since Hannaford's is moving across the street, one of them will move into the old Hannaford's. This would be great! ABove all this is what I would want in the area.

I have never been to parafunalia. I will have to check it out.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
wifi

Moultonboro/Center Harbor/Meredith needs a old fashioned bakery shop (that is open during the day, and has products to sell all day).

There used to be one about 15 years back on Rt25 in the Pine Hill Plaza area, did a land office business, especially in the summer and every weekend. Went OOB due to personal problems, not lack of customers.

My mouth is starting to water just thinking about it ...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Peter

We need a movie theater and bowling alley back in Wolfeboro again!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

Definitely a book store. Closest one is Borders in Concord.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Irish mist

There needs to be some serious soul-searching in this area about growth.......in some areas it's starting to look like I'm in southern NH. Nothing against southern NH, I just don't want to see central NH look like southern NH.
________
W125 REKORDWAGEN

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist
There needs to be some serious soul-searching in this area about growth.......in some areas it's starting to look like I'm in southern NH. Nothing against southern NH, I just don't want to see central NH look like southern NH.

I can't agree more with you IM. Stop the endless subdivisions... wait, this thread will start looking like the outdoor wood furnace one if I continue.

My bakery suggestion needs to take the place of something we don't need.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Zee

I agree, we don't "need" anymore commercial growth. I live in Tuftonboro, the least commercial town on the lake and I hope it stays that way. Six miles down the road is Wolfeboro with its great full service adequate-sized IGA, plenty of good restaurants, shops, bookstore, meat markets, and all the commercial and financial services you'd want. The one thing I have noticed is the multitude of insurance agencies. I think I have counted seven in a one mile radius. Please spare us the big box stores, supermarkets, fast food and multiplexes. A small theater would be good especially if it would also be used as a stage venue, not just a movie theater. I am sure some of you remember when movie theaters were not just movie theaters.

I do occasionally have to go to Wal-Mart or Home Depot. BUT, I'd rather go to them then have them move closer to me.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
phoenix

market basket
Old 11-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Innisfree Bookshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
What about Innisfree bookshop in Meredith? I haven't been there recently but they are in Mill Falls Marketplace.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
TomC

Default theres also a bookstore in Center Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob
What about Innisfree bookshop in Meredith? I haven't been there recently but they are in Mill Falls Marketplace.

Bayswater Book Co. Not a Borders by any stretch, but eclectic and a unique store that adds interest/charm to the area.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
What about Innisfree bookshop in Meredith?
Kind of a small selection, especially on the periodical side. Not complaining though. Between Amazon and trips to Concord, its not too bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
ghfromaltonbay

Default Too many banks in Alton

Although it's great having the new Hannafords, we certainly didn't need a 3rd bank in town. The downtown also seems to have a lot of florists/gift shops for such a small town. What's really needed is a better laundromat. The present one is not very well maintained and the parking situation is a definite safety hazard. Too bad they didn't put a new laundromat with safer parking next to the Hannafords instead of another bank. With the price of gas and groceries going up, who has money to put in the bank anyway.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
jrc

Quote:
Maybe kill two birds with one stone, a book store with a coffee shop inside.

IM, Wifi, modern new amenities don't have to synonymous with growth. Hanaford didn't bring people to the area, Hanaford came because the people were here. Let's not mix up cause and effect.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #17
GTO

Default try

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi
Moultonboro/Center Harbor/Meredith needs a old fashioned bakery shop (that is open during the day, and has products to sell all day).

There used to be one about 15 years back on Rt25 in the Pine Hill Plaza area, did a land office business, especially in the summer and every weekend. Went OOB due to personal problems, not lack of customers.

Moulton Farms cooks fresh bread. Very good
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Growth is going to happen

I see a lot of worry here about the area growing.... well I hate to say it but it is going to happen no matter what. As more and more people put up year around homes and spend more and more time in the lakes regions the growth is going to happen. There isn't much that can be done about it.

Now as for what we need.... A movie theatre on the northern side of the lake would be nice.... some nice pubs in the Centre Harbor, Moultonborough area would be a welcome addition too. Way to many places like Canoe, Lago, etc around.... other then that there is no need for a West Marine, order it online and have it shipped....and as for Home Depot and Lowes they are close enough for me right where they are at. But I know in reality sooner or later someone is going to put a big shoping plaza in one of the towns on the northern side of the lake....
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
secondcurve

But I know in reality sooner or later someone is going to put a big shoping plaza in one of the towns on the northern side of the lake....[/QUOTE]

I think there is one going in on RTE 16 in Ossipee, so once that happens, the Northern side of the Lake will be taken care of. At least I hope they won't get any closer!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
Paugus Bay Resident

I think a lot of the perspective on "growth" depends on whether you're a year-round resident or seasonal one. There are a lot of conveniences I could live without if I were only here on weekends and vacations. Different groups have different needs, but I wholeheartedly agree that their needs to be a balance.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #21
nj2nh

Default Book Stores and Coffee Shops

There IS a book store with a coffee shop in Wolfeboro. It used to be across from Black's, but it moved to a larger location near that rubber stamp store/gift shop - into the space where the big candy store used to be.

nj2nh
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
Paugus Bay Resident

Sure, its where Lee's Candies used to be. I miss that place.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #23
rrr

How about a farm stand on the southern side?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #24
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default I agree a bookstore/coffee shop

Quote:
PBR and JRC are right on the money... a Borders/Barnes and Noble type place. Innisfree is more of a "Card Shop' than a book store. Very limited selection. Nice place, but not a real book store with a large selection.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
I think there is one going in on RTE 16 in Ossipee, so once that happens, the Northern side of the Lake will be taken care of. At least I hope they won't get any closer!
Ossipee... yep I agree that would be close enough.... can get there easily... but yet far enough away to be out of mind....
Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #26
fatlazyless

The return of the Lakes Region Summer Theatre would be nice. After a run of something like 60 years their last show was in September 2006. For 2007, the show was out of business due to something like the high cost of insurance, or something, at its' Interlakes High School auditorium home.

Gone with barely a whimper, and all but forgotten.....say goodbye to that 60 year tradition, the Lakes Region Summer Theatre, a victim to the pricey insurance premium.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-16-2007 at 09:09 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #27
Mr. V

Speaking strictly as the occasional tourist / visitor, Laconia needs:

Starbucks. Tilton is too far.

A real Army - Navy store. I miss the old one.

Cheap, decent quality Asian food: teriyaki / bento / yakisoba in an informal setting, with take out.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #28
Irish mist

We know there is going to be growth at the lake Llforrelaxin.......but we don't have to sit back and let it run wild, that's why we have zoning laws. And it's past time they were put into better use to keep the area as rural as possible IMO.
________
Vapor Genie

Old 11-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #29
ApS

You're right: The Market will determine what's here and what's gone away.
IMHO, "less is more" in the Lakes Region, anyway.

That said, I'd like to see a boat anchored in Wolfeboro Bay with the name "Starbucks" on its transom.

Drive-through fashion, it would sell boutique coffees and Shane's (of Maine) ice cream by the pint. Transactions would be conducted by means of a basket passed by boathook.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #30
wifi

Quote:
We know there is going to be growth at the lake Llforrelaxin.......but we don't have to sit back and let it run wild, that's why we have zoning laws. And it's past time they were put into better use to keep the area as rural as possible IMO.
Well put
Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #31
secondcurve

I think that Tuftonboro and Wolfeboro have done the best job of controlling growth of the towns around the lake. Alton Bay, the traffic circle aside, comes in third. The area doesn't feel all that different to me than it did in the 70s when I was a kid.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
The issue here is understood by all.... However an important lesson to be learned is this. As the cost of living around the lake continues to rise do to housing cost etc.... It will become increasingly harder on the locals to live in these areas with out good well paying jobs the only way to bring those good paying jobs is to allow growth. Remember it is the locals that afford us the ability to enjoy ourselves, as they staff and provide business to the area durring the off seasons. Am I advocating a Lowes at every corner no.... But should we expect to see a couple of more reasonable sized shopping plazas yes, it would also be nice to see some industrial development. Nothing like an IBM mind you but a couple of nice 100-300 employee manufacturing facilities would be a good idea....

I have lived in areas where they have tried to control growth. And you know what, it is the local people and business that ultimately pay the price when growth doesn't happen. What the lakes region needs to decided is how it wants the growth to happen. So that there is a job market strong enough to support the local population, which ultimately provides the work force for the tourism business. It is easy enough to accomplish these things while preserving the nice waterfront towns we have become use too, but people also can't fight it. Face it people the world is changing as people now work at home, commute longer and longer distances, the coveted once rural areas are going to develop....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #33
WINDinmySOCKIES

we need more trees
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Maybe the small state prison on all that large sweeping hillside of empty land overlooking Paugus Bay could be turned into a much larger prison. It could house overflow prisoners from other states, or somewhere.

How about a country club style, luxury prison for the high rollers who can afford to do it and would appreciate that water view of Paugus. It's got to be a better business working with rich prisoners who have the bucks.

Up north in Berlin, construction on a new federal prison will soon be started and it will be a neighbor to the large State of NH prison recently built, way up there.

Mostly no town wants a prison but prisons employ lots of locals and once you build a prison, it's here to stay!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-17-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #35
idigtractors

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDinmySOCKIES
we need more trees
What for, someone will just cut them down.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #36
KonaChick

Contractors, electricians, plumbers, people in the industry basically who do not double or triple the usual cost of estimates the second they drive up to your lake house.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #37
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
Contractors, electricians, plumbers, people in the industry basically who do not double or triple the usual cost of estimates the second they drive up to your lake house.
I personally have found that not to be true. I have found them to be cheaper (same or better quality) and/or the same price as in other states.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #38
Irish mist

My contention is that we need to control growth. And we can do it. We are not subject to "forces" that are beyond our control. Zoning laws are poweful tools that communties have to shape the environment the way the majority of the residents in a community want it to be shaped.

I'm going to use the state of Vermont as an example: I'm not a big fan of the leftist politics of Vermont, but the state of New Hampshire could learn a few lessons from the Green Mountain state concerning how to control "sprawl" & not lose its rural nature. In 20 years if you drive through Vermont I would venture to say that the state will look pretty much the sames as it does today......central NH on the other hand many very well look like "anyplace" USA if we do't get development under control.

As for jobs & development, you can bring some of it up here, but you don't need to change the nature of the whole region to do it. Make business & industry conform to what we want.
________
Chrysler slant-6 engine history

Old 11-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #39
jrc

The big problem with zoning laws is that controlling growth and controlling sprawl conflict with each other.

Lets say you have a 1000 acees in town, and you use zoning to set a minimum lot size of 2 acres. You meet you goal of limiting growth to 500 houses, but you force those 500 houses to spread to every corner of the acerage, that's sprawl, no area is left undeveloped. It you could allot some area to much denser housing and leave a bunch of the are totally untouched you could accomodate 500 houses without destroying the open land we love. Plus the 500 families in those houses would be closer and more of a community rather than 500 families that never meet their neighbors.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #40
Irish mist

I have no problem with "cluster development"jrc. It has its place. My concern is that people stop feeling like they can't do anything about the future space we, and our chidren are going to dwell in. The people in Vermont put their collective feet down over 30 years ago and said enough ! Enough sprawl, enough billboards, enough with the endless strip malls. They decided that they did not want to live in an "endless NJ cityscape", or have a southern NH crop up around them.

And so.....they stopped it. That's why Vermont & NH look less and less alike as the years go by.
________
Ducati mach 3

Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #41
jrc

Given that we in NH still have a constitution that recognizes the right to private property what other tools beyond zoning do we have to shape how our communities grow?

Short of goverment control of population, you can't stop growth. As long as we have growth in this country, people will move to the nicest parts.

I don't think we should make NH a crappy place to live so people will move elsewhere.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #42
Joanna16

Default as is . . .

The reason I love the lake is because of it as it is. "Don't go changing to try and please me."

But seriously - I went to Meredith to buy the new Harry Potter book this summer the day it came out - even got it at 20% off cover price. I bake the best blueberry muffins right in my own kitchen. Brew great coffee there too. I can rent any DVD from Netflicks and have it delivered.

The reason I come here is to just relax and enjoy lake life as is. What I could use less of . . . people. Stop telling everyone how great it is here - they keep showing up!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #43
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
The issue here is understood by all.... However an important lesson to be learned is this. As the cost of living around the lake continues to rise do to housing cost etc.... It will become increasingly harder on the locals to live in these areas with out good well paying jobs the only way to bring those good paying jobs is to allow growth. Remember it is the locals that afford us the ability to enjoy ourselves, as they staff and provide business to the area durring the off seasons. Am I advocating a Lowes at every corner no.... But should we expect to see a couple of more reasonable sized shopping plazas yes, it would also be nice to see some industrial development. Nothing like an IBM mind you but a couple of nice 100-300 employee manufacturing facilities would be a good idea....

I have lived in areas where they have tried to control growth. And you know what, it is the local people and business that ultimately pay the price when growth doesn't happen. What the lakes region needs to decided is how it wants the growth to happen. So that there is a job market strong enough to support the local population, which ultimately provides the work force for the tourism business. It is easy enough to accomplish these things while preserving the nice waterfront towns we have become use too, but people also can't fight it. Face it people the world is changing as people now work at home, commute longer and longer distances, the coveted once rural areas are going to develop....

Don't forget that what the Lakes Region has going for it is tourism. If you pollute the area with endless sprawl it becomes less desirable as a tourist destination.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #44
Irish mist

jrc.....zoning is enough, if used properly. I gave you the state of Vermont as an example. I suspect Vermont still has a constitution too. As for the population explosion.....if the goverment ended immigration, legal & illegal, that would go a long way in controling growth, but that's a political decision.

As for this statement by you: "I don't think we should make NH a crappy place to live so people will move elsewhere" Um, what are you getting at ? If we keep the rural nature of NH as it is now.....that's going to be a bad thing ? I'm not following you here ?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #45
ACutAbove

Quote:
I do not believe that to be true, being a contractor myself. No matter where the house is located I know I treat everyone the same. I cannot speak for other contractors but if that is the way they operate hopefully people will realize it and not use that person or companys services. It sounds like you may have had a bad experience with a contractor,but please do not lump us all together.

As far as things we do or dont need here.
We need a better way to move traffic thru the rte 3 & 25 intersection in Meredith.

I dont want to go into what isnt needed here as the list would be to long...LOL
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #46
Lakegeezer

Default Office supply store

Something like a Staples or OfficeMax (or non-franchise equivalent) between Meredith and Moultonboro would be nice. The lakes region is becoming more than a tourist spot. As the year round home-office population rises, business services are needed, and its getting expensive to drive from Moultonboro to Gilford for stuff.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #47
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove
I do not believe that to be true, being a contractor myself. No matter where the house is located I know I treat everyone the same. I cannot speak for other contractors but if that is the way they operate hopefully people will realize it and not use that person or companys services. It sounds like you may have had a bad experience with a contractor,but please do not lump us all together.

As far as things we do or dont need here.
We need a better way to move traffic thru the rte 3 & 25 intersection in Meredith.

I dont want to go into what isnt needed here as the list would be to long...LOL
I'm not lumping you all together, just answering the forum question with my opinion. We've had extensive work done to our permanent residence and therefore have a good idea what is a reasonable price for services rendered. More often than not the quote we get for a service up at our lake home is typically much higher than what we've paid for the exact same service at our other home (which is smaller and less grandiose btw). These incidents aren't isolated to just us...it's a conversation that we've had with neighbors up at the lake and they've experienced the same thing. On the other hand it's nice to hear that not ALL people employed in the housing repair/service business are like that!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #48
Argie's Wife

We have too many...
-pizza places
-banks
-hair salons
-insurance companies
-used car dealerships
-garden centers

We don't have enough...
-walk-in health clinics ("doc in a box")
-adult day care facilities
-children/youth centers
-movie theaters
-bowling alleys/pool hall
-farmers markets & natural food stores
-museums (that are actually opened and maintained!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #49
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
I'm not lumping you all together, just answering the forum question with my opinion. We've had extensive work done to our permanent residence and therefore have a good idea what is a reasonable price for services rendered. More often than not the quote we get for a service up at our lake home is typically much higher than what we've paid for the exact same service at our other home (which is smaller and less grandiose btw). These incidents aren't isolated to just us...it's a conversation that we've had with neighbors up at the lake and they've experienced the same thing. On the other hand it's nice to hear that not ALL people employed in the housing repair/service business are like that!!
I think what you maybe seeing is has less to do with a contractor showing up at a lake front retreat, and more to do with the scale and types of jobs you maybe trying to have done.

When we bought our camp and reworked it we where lucky enough to have the knowledge and skill to do most work ourselves... so we did. However one project we decided to look into contracting out was to update and move our electrical service panel. We had 3 contractor quote us prices and all where extremely high. The last contractor was a very matter of fact guy who told us, "we have more work up here then we can shake a stick at" and "there are many easier jobs then crawling under your camp to move all the wiring and routing it to the new pannel"..... moral of the story all three contractor where willing to do the work, but where going to make sure the where compansated for taking on a pain in the rear job, when they could be working in an easy to work on new construction project. So we of course dropped the contractors, found out what we had to do and did everything ourselves.....we just had to survive with out electricity a little longer then expected.....

In short Contractors in an area where there is a lot of construction going on don't like to get tied up with small or unusual projects that are going to be more aggrivation to them then anything...

Now this doesn't apply to all contractors..... but it is what I have noticed with electricians personally, and wouldn't be surprised to see the same attitude from plumbers, and construction contractors as well....
Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #50
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
.... So we of course dropped the contractors, found out what we had to do and did everything ourselves.....we just had to survive with out electricity a little longer then expected.....
Really? I thought the Co-op 'required' a licensed electrician to install a new main panel and meter box and be present when the Co-op hooks it up to the pole? Maybe I can actually afford safe wiring in the house after all
Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #51
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default I'd add to Argie's list of "don't have enough"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife
We have too many...
-pizza places
-banks
-hair salons
-insurance companies
-used car dealerships
-garden centers

We don't have enough...
-walk-in health clinics ("doc in a box")
-adult day care facilities
-children/youth centers
-movie theaters
-bowling alleys/pool hall
-farmers markets & natural food stores
-museums (that are actually opened and maintained!)

Fresh Fish Market.. Laconia area, the best around is at Marketbasket WAY out in Tilton

Check out this Google search for "Fresh Fish"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #52
TomC

Default inspection needed to connect

Quote:
Really? I thought the Co-op 'required' a licensed electrician to install a new main panel and meter box and be present when the Co-op hooks it up to the pole? Maybe I can actually afford safe wiring in the house after all
A sticker from the code enforcement office with a signature from the town electrical inspector must be affixed to the meter box for the electric company to connect a system to the grid.

you could do the work yourself, but it will need to be inspected and signed off.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #53
jrc

IM we're going off topic, so I'll be brief. You can follow up in a PM if you like. The lakes region is a beautiful place, people want to move here. It's hard to have zoning or other central planning laws that are strict enough to force an outcome without violating our rights as property owners.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #54
Fishy Cover

Default Dermatologist

The nearest dermatoligist is in Concord.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #55
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr
How about a farm stand on the southern side?
rrr: What about the (seasonal) farm stand between McDonalds and Hannaford's at the Alton traffic circle?...and you can't beat Beans and Green's in Gilford.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #56
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Wifi,

Tom C has it correct at least back when we did the work. All the Coop required was that it was inspected and signed off on. So we scheduled the inspector and Electric Coop to come out at the same time, The Inspector signed off on it and the Electric Company hooked us up. The only reason we where with out power for a day or too, was because we had to move all the wiring. The panel has to be installed and all wiring complete.

Now if you try and do this kind of work yourself, make sure you meet or exceed code. The inspector was very hard on us, because in his estimation, it was a job that only a professional should handle. However after realizing that in most cases we exceeded code requirements, and making a couple of quick last minute changes that he felt where neccesary he signed away.
As for code requirements just talk with the town electrical inspector, he helped us out before hand as well, letting us know what the code requirements where.....
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #57
Irish mist

Yes.....the only dermatoligist in the lakes region retired this summer. You need to go to Concord or Plymouth. You woud think the Lakes Region hospital would be moving heaven & earth to have at least one dermatoligist on staff ? It's a very dangerous situation.
________
DODGE DAKOTA

Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #58
Island Life

Default delivery to the islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
I'd like to see a boat anchored in Wolfeboro Bay with the name "Starbucks" on its transom.

Drive-through fashion, it would sell boutique coffees and Shane's (of Maine) ice cream by the pint. Transactions would be conducted by means of a basket passed by boathook.

Anchored???? I'd like to see it delivering that boutique coffee and ice cream right to my dock.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #59
20mile

Quote:
I live in Tuftonboro and two years ago I installed a 200 amp service in my house. The coop came by and gave me a work book on how to install the from the weather head to the meter socket then to the distribution panel. They told me what types of meter sockets their meters would fit into. The code officer came by an put a sticker on the box and then the coop clamped on the conductors from the street.

Everyone was very helpful. I think I saved $2,500 by doing the work myself.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #60
fatlazyless

Default ....free coffee at where?

The Lowe's Home Improvement in Gilford, which opened in February, is a welcome addition. It has a large selection of plumbing, electrical, lawn irrigation, masonry block, paint, concrete, lumber, power & hand tools, ceramic tile, lumber, plywood, roofing, how-to-do books, large kitchen appliance, bathroom & kitchen fixtures, storage, cleaning, yardwork, lumber and most importantly....FREE COFFEE!

Plus, they occaisionally have mark downs to dirt cheap prices on slow moving items like alkyd paint and certain ceramic tiles and stuff that just isn't selling too good. Mark it down to 90% off and move it out, they say Everything is indoors, in a heated and well-lit store. Plus, if I neglected to mention, it has free coffee in those crummy white plastic-foam cups!

...if they would just upgrade those crummy foam cups to some good quality, real paper cups, and then some Green Mountain Coffee like,,,,big business move....cannot underestimate the biz boost of quality free coffee...

...now, can I get my Lowe's baseball cap that comes w/ a pencil and a pencil holder?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #61
Skip

Thumbs up Lowes hat with pre-installed pencils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
...now can I get my Lowe's baseball cap that comes w/ a pencil and a pencil holder?...
You sure can, all you have to do is sign up for a Lowe's commercial account. I went to the Lowe's grand opening in Rochester earlier this week and when I signed up for a commercial account I got the hat (with TWO pencils) and a bag full of extra goodies along with a handful of discount soupons. And what did they have in the first aisle near the concrete blocks? Why a whole table full of snacks and donuts and ALL the free coffee I could drink!

FLL, you would have been proud of me as I assaulted that table!!!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #62
idigtractors

Question

Quote:

...if they would just upgrade those crummy foam cups to some good quality, real paper cups, and then some Green Mountain Coffee like,,,,big business move....cannot underestimate the biz boost of quality free coffee...
...now, can I get my Lowe's baseball cap that comes w/ a pencil and a pencil holder?
Now for two (2) questions. Do they serve decaf and how often do they wash the coffee pots?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #63
hockeypuck

If you go to this website's home page and click on "Lake Links" and then "Builders and Home Improvements", I would venture to guess that the owners and employees of the enterprises listed do not share your same enthusiasm with Lowes. In every town or city where the large chains have come in, small local competing businesses have suffered. Enjoy the coffee and donuts and save some money, but don't complain when local businesses go under and there are empty stores in town that don't pay taxes. I for one support the local owner that provides more personal service, lives in the community and pays taxes to my town. Call me stupid if you wish, but I just bought a new snowblower from my local, in town, lawnmower shop and paid $50 more than the same one at Home Depot. The same local owner who supports our town's youth programs, pays our taxes, and employees our locals both full and part time. He fully assembled the machine, provided instructions, helped load it into the truck, and said any problems just give HIM a call. To the fine people on this forum,be careful what you wish for, you may get your wish.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #64
phoenix

agree with fatlazyless i do miss the Lakes Region theatre . But i did notice that during the last couple of years there were many empty seats on most weekday nights vs. a few years back when the place was filled so i suspect attendance was part of the problem
Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #65
mets3007

Don't forget there is Moulton's Longridge farm on rt 3 going towards Meredith, but Hannaford has the best selection of fruit in the Laconia area. There are plenty of restaurants in the area so we do not need more of them, arcades check, they have alot of things that are needed, but they dont have a first med kinda doctor place where you can walk in without waiting 6 hours at the ER.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #66
fatlazyless

hey Hockeypuck- I heard that Home Depot will soon be building a new store just yards from the Gilford Lowes, on what used to be an Irwin Marine boat storage lot. Lowes and Home Depot, side by side in Gilford, just inches from the Laconia town line.

Yeah, that's all true about 'buy local-it stays local' and smaller owner op store vs big box stores. It seems like most of the Lowe's customers are do-it-yourselfers, as opposed to contractors. So, maybe contractos are sticking with the Boulia Gourrels, Gilford Home Center, Ashland Lumbers w/ their better stock of lumber, and do-it-yourselfers go to Lowes' for some other reason. Lowe's don't really have all that much lumber..........I don't know?

Plus, Lowe's just got final approval to build on the big Tenney Mt Hgwy cornfield in Plymouth.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #67
dpg

A fun place to drink and meet young people (well, O.K. girls Well I'm older now but the old Depot in Meredith still brings smiles to my face. I swear everytime I drive by there I get a flashback.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #68
AltonGuy

A friend and I were thinking of business opportunities around the Alton area. Although the area could perhaps do with a few new "small town" businesses one in particular we came up with was a Pet Store? Figured there were only a few in the surrounding area so it may generate interest? Perhaps you folks could lend some input?
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #69
dpg

If a pet store makes it a Petco or Petsmart would soon follow.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #70
The Big Kahuna

Default The Weirs Blvd

The Weirs needs a overhall. Get rid of all those old houses and put up some new hotels and buildings. Up-date the board walk with shops and nice places to eat.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #71
jellybean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy
A friend and I were thinking of business opportunities around the Alton area. Although the area could perhaps do with a few new "small town" businesses one in particular we came up with was a Pet Store? Figured there were only a few in the surrounding area so it may generate interest? Perhaps you folks could lend some input?
This has been a really interesting thread. My votes for Alton are:
  • A DRY CLEANER! (with same-day service, preferably)
  • A really good lunch/dinner/deli place which serves fresh food and sandwiches and not fried food, salads which contain real lettuce/veggies, and also has a coffeeshop/bakery component.
  • Yes, a little movie theater would be nice
  • Yes, a farm stand would also be nice. The little one by McD's is pretty good, but a lot of that isn't local produce and I'm not sure any is organic.
  • A veterinarian who works with both large and small animals (oh wait ... too specific?)

I'm honestly not sure if a pet store would make it - our family has a lot of pets, and we get the food/supplies we need at Aubuchon, Hannaford, and/or Clark's Grain. There is a new pet store down Rte 28 in Chichester, as well. There are a couple of great dog groomers around town, and there isn't much extra that we buy for our pets other than the basics.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #72
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Yes.....the only dermatoligist in the lakes region retired this summer. You need to go to Concord or Plymouth. You woud think the Lakes Region hospital would be moving heaven & earth to have at least one dermatoligist on staff ? It's a very dangerous situation.
The list of medical specialists we're lacking up here is staggering. There's also very few pediatricians, gerentologists (sp), and only two neo-natal ICU's in the whole state, I believe.

Attracting new physicians to the area is difficult. This is considered a rural area. There are few physicians to share caseloads and many practices are struggling to meet the needs of the patients in the area. Also, the demographics for the patient base here is unusual because of the summer months when the population almost doubles for many towns. (Ever try to get care in the ER during Motorcycle Week?) Thus, my suggestion for more walk-in clinics.

========

Pet Shops...
As someone who used to be a vet tech assistant and who's parents worked in animal control, I'm not crazy about pet stores for many reasons. Although I'm sure your intentions are good intentions, there are some pet store owners who have no conscious about their trade but are only in it for the money.

I'd never buy a puppy from a pet store - or any other animal, really. Pet stores have a reputation for buying from puppy mills, keeping those mill-breeders in business. Anyone who's done their homework on getting a puppy won't go to a pet shop - they'll go to a reputable breeder.

Additionally, There's some excellent pet stores already, like Laconia Pet Center, who is already well established. I get my pets' foods at BJ's Wholesale Club and I buy their medicines online, usually. I'm sure there's other who do the same - my wallet tells me where to go, to be honest. I support local businesses when I can but sometimes local is way over priced.

However, I do think we've lost the dog groomer we had here in town or perhaps they moved (??). Personally, I'd love to see a good doggy-daycare and kennel come into the area, with grooming. That would be awesome!

Just my $0.02
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #73
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna
The Weirs needs a overhall. Get rid of all those old houses and put up some new hotels and buildings.
You're kidding me with this, right?

These historically significant buildings were the headquarters for the various NH regiments that fought in the Civil War. They should be preserved and updated (modern fire alarm/sprinkler systems) before we lose them in some massive fire. (See more photos of these regimental buildings HERE ) I do agree that some nicer shops/restaurants would be welcome.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #74
WeirsBeachBoater

The Weirs is dying..... The city of Laconia, is the killer! Another victim of growth. Keep letting the condos go up. Has anyone really looked at the Weirs area and thought of where the tourists can stay affordably? Compared to even 10 yrs ago? All the motels went condo, now they are decimating the old tent and trailer park. The tourists are stopping for a few minutes at the Weirs on there way up north. The part of NH that still understands tourism.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #75
dpg

The only problem with a theatre is you'd always be praying for rain if you owned it. Who's gonna go away for a week in July and go to the theatre on a hot sunny day? Not too likely.

How bout a good Auto detail shop like around Laconia? Is there many around?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #76
gtxrider

Default what we need!

what we need is faster boats, younger women, more whiskey! (slight change of words from a Tom T. Hall song.

Really what is need is slow down the development. I understand the people how live around the lake need stores and services but do we need to cut trees down to build huge homes? How many of those BIG houses have people living in them year round? Cut down trees rain water rushes down the hills carrying mud and what ever else in on the ground right in the lake.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #77
WeirsBeachBoater

How bout a good Auto detail shop like around Laconia? Is there many around?[/QUOTE]

There was quite a few, and there are still many. But few good ones. I used to own and run one in Massachusetts. The only issue I found here in the lakes region is that every shop is cutting each others throat, working for no money. It wasn't worth getting into it. There are two I suggest in the area, One is behind Fitzgerald Motorsports on Union Ave. The other is at the Amalfi Building behind LR Volkswagen in Gilford. They seem to be the most professional. I don't want some young punk with a buffer on my vehicles.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #78
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
The Weirs is dying..... The city of Laconia, is the killer!
Amen.

I think we need more growth in both the manufacturing and technical job areas. Unfortunately that $11/hour gig at Lowes doesn't pay well enough.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #79
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
The only problem with a theatre is you'd always be praying for rain if you owned it. Who's gonna go away for a week in July and go to the theatre on a hot sunny day? Not too likely.
We actually find that while rain does affect attendence at children's shows during the day (when we used to run them) rain, or lackthereof, really has no affect on attendence of evening performances. Mostly, people want to see a play or they don't and book well enough in advance that they come rain or shine!!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #80
jkjoshuatree

Question Your Thoughts On A Yoga Studio??

My wife and I have talked about opening a yoga studio in the somewhere around the lake but haven't done any real research on it yet.

Do you think it would work? And more importantly, would it work year-round?

We're very active people and have noticed the extreme lack of a good gym in the area. We've been to the one in Laconia (forget the name) and it's okay as far as a gym is concerned, but it doesn't offer the range of classes (yoga, pilates, spin) that we're used to. They also don't allow anyone under the age of 16 and both of our daughters (12 and 14) love going to the gym with us.

Even when we stay at Church Landing (when there's too many of us for all of us to stay at our place on Bear Island) their gym is almost a joke.

So what do the people of the Forum think?

I'm surprised that there are 2 health food stores in Meredith and that they both stay open. But if they do a decent business, then maybe a yoga/pilates studio would work.

Let me know what you think.

Jk
Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #81
callmeD

JK -

I would love to see you open a yoga studio!

I am a massage therapist and will be starting a second practice in Alton soon (my primary location is MA, but I have a home on the lake, also), renting space from a local business. Working in Alton will be slow to start, but I am hopeful that my practice will build and I can spend more time in NH.

My ideal scenerio would be to find space in an alternative healing center offering services such as yoga, acupuncture, nutrition, pilates, etc.

This area is so conducive to healing with the beautiful scenery - an ideal location IMO!
callmeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #82
mets3007

The prices are high at the Weirs but, we will still go no matter what. The boardwalk is old though and can use a modification to make it look newer like a paint job and maybe just modernize the boat area which looks like it was not updated in 15 yrs.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #83
The Big Kahuna

Default Kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
You're kidding me with this, right?
I am not kidding at all. The Weirs Blvd is a dump, those old buildings are an eye sore, historical or not. We need some modern hotels like Merredith, with shops and restaurants. That would vitalize and spruce up the area, maybe some of the trailer homes on the hill could be towed away and replaced with nicer homes.

Kidding, not at all, modernize and vitalize!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #84
The Big Kahuna

Quote:
Well put
Get ready, a company I work with was just asked to quote on a 400 unit condo development. He would only say it was right on the water between Atlon and Gilford.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #85
idigtractors

Make everything (fun things to do and small Mom & Pop type of shops) like in the late 50's early 60's when there were a ton of things for both adults and kids to do that was simple and not all high tech and artificial exercise. Everyone (adults & kids) are spoiled and need entertaining all the time now instead of finding simple and entertaining things to do on their own. It is getting to be that everything has to be planned for all.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #86
ACutAbove

THere is a Yoga place in meredith. It is in the bike shop near the new traffic circle. Check it out and see if they are doing okay and make a decision from there. I have not been in there so other than seeing the sign out front I know nothing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
My wife and I have talked about opening a yoga studio in the somewhere around the lake but haven't done any real research on it yet.

Do you think it would work? And more importantly, would it work year-round?

We're very active people and have noticed the extreme lack of a good gym in the area. We've been to the one in Laconia (forget the name) and it's okay as far as a gym is concerned, but it doesn't offer the range of classes (yoga, pilates, spin) that we're used to. They also don't allow anyone under the age of 16 and both of our daughters (12 and 14) love going to the gym with us.

Even when we stay at Church Landing (when there's too many of us for all of us to stay at our place on Bear Island) their gym is almost a joke.

So what do the people of the Forum think?

I'm surprised that there are 2 health food stores in Meredith and that they both stay open. But if they do a decent business, then maybe a yoga/pilates studio would work.

Let me know what you think.

Jk
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #87
fatlazyless

Pasha Blundo's Moultonboro yoga studio and exercise gym, www.hollandhillstudio.com in a totally renovated large old barn on Holland St or Rt 109, just up the hill from Rt 25. ....may the force be with you!

Looking at the website, methinks she is doing a yoga pose while situated on top of East Rattlesnake Mountain w/ Squam Lake in the background.....or is that Red Hill with Winnipesaukee in the background?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #88
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
I am not kidding at all. The Weirs Blvd is a dump, those old buildings are an eye sore, historical or not. We need some modern hotels like Merredith, with shops and restaurants. That would vitalize and spruce up the area, maybe some of the trailer homes on the hill could be towed away and replaced with nicer homes.

Modernize and vitalize is a great idea.... But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although some face lifting and repairs are in order, what make the Wiers the Wiers is the board walk, the pier, and the old buildings. If all the character that is there is modernized out it would be a sad day.

Don't make the Wiers another Meredith just because it is not your cup of tea.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #89
fatlazyless

Based on the thinking that it's their land and they can do as they please, about ten years ago, the Laconia Planning Board gave the green light to a new owner tearing down one of those older hillside homes, leveling the half-acre lot with the street, and building a parking lot. This procedure was then copycated by a neighbor who is a couple lots away.

This is a very unusual thing for a town planning board to approve in my opinion, but approve it they, the Laconia Planning Board, did.

That street, is it Weirs Blvd, that fronts the boardwalk and the Weirs Bay must be considered a mixed commercial-residential area.

A photo here would sure help but picture it, a 1/2 acre parking lot cut into the hill, sandwiched in between two 1/2 acre residences. During Motorcycle Week it is home to a number of venders, and other times used for Mount Washington and Weirs parking.

Did you know that the large lot that is home of the Weirs Smokehouse used to have a landmark Howard Johnson's Restaurant on the same spot.

The economics of Motorcycle Week have caused it to remain a large empty lot for about 30+ years now, since the HoJo's burnt down.

So, Motorcycle Week is a big economic
force that shapes the Weirs all year round.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
As an aside, the Motorcycle Week Association is now being sued for the death of two woman pedestrians who were hit by a drunk biker (also killing a passenger on his bike), while walking just next to the white line wih their backs to traffic at night along Rt 3 by FunSpot in 2004, in Belknap County Superior Court, Judge Larry Smukler presiding.
The suit started out to include the City of Laconia as well but the Judge agreed to exclude the city from any responsibility for some legal reason. Route 3 is a state road. Big article in yesterday's LaDaSun.

In the article, it says that Judge Smukler has agreed to letting the suit continue and thinks that the Motorcycle Week Association may have some responsibilty for the deaths. It talks a lot about driving and drinking and Bike Week and Laconia.

A big question in the lawsuit is: Who owns Bike Week? Is it the City of Laconia or the Motorcycle Week Association?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #90
The Big Kahuna

Default I Like Coffee!

Quote:
Don't make the Wiers another Meredith just because it is not your cup of tea.
I would love for Weirs to be like Meredith, why do you have a problem with Meredith. I think Meredith looks great, 100 times better than the Weirs. If the Wiers were updated, I bet all that motorcycle nonsense would go some where else, and we wouldn't have to deal with it. You could do so much with the Wiers, it is a shame the way it is today.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #91
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
As an aside, the Motorcycle Week Association is now being sued for the death of two woman pedestrians who were hit by a drunk biker (also killing a passenger on his bike), while walking just next to the white line wih their backs to traffic at night along Rt 3 by FunSpot in 2004, in Belknap County Superior Court, Judge Larry Smukler presiding.
The suit started out to include the City of Laconia as well but the Judge agreed to exclude the city from any responsibility for some legal reason. Route 3 is a state road. Big article in yesterday's LaDaSun.

In the article, it says that Judge Smukler has agreed to letting the suit continue and thinks that the Motorcycle Week Association may have some responsibilty for the deaths. It talks a lot about driving and drinking and Bike Week and Laconia.

A big question in the lawsuit is: Who owns Bike Week? Is it the City of Laconia or the Motorcycle Week Association?
OK wait a minute, hold the horses.... and many other sayings that could come out here. Does anyone have more information on this. This at first glance looks like something that shouldn't be in the courts. It unfortunate that some people are dead. However why would the City of Laconia or the MWA have any fault in the matter......
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #92
Mickomally

Quote:

Man you know how to say it sometimes.... We should think of a way to get rid of the homes many of these people have lived in for years and put in nicer ones. After all they are low income and cannot afford nicer homes...what a blight on the area. They don't have nice homes, lets get rid of them.
While we're at it lets alter everything which isn't our personal preference, screw everyone else and their rights and sensitivities.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #93
Mickomally

Quote:
I would love for Weirs to be like Meredith, why do you have a problem with Meredith. I think Meredith looks great, 100 times better than the Weirs. If the Wiers were updated, I bet all that motorcycle nonsense would go some where else, and we wouldn't have to deal with it. You could do so much with the Wiers, it is a shame the way it is today.
I love Meredith, I live in Meredith but I can see why some may want the Weirs to be left alone. Homogenizing the lakes region may be appealing to some, yet others like the unique character the Weirs has. If you prefer Meredith, go to Meredith, if you like the kitchiness of the Weirs you have that option.
Its sorta like comparing "Canoe" and "Tamarack"...Canoe may have higher quality food, but its nice to be able to choose the Tamarack if I like.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #94
Old Hubbard Rd

Default The Weirs

I think the Weirs is nessesary for this area. It's nice for the kids & adults to have that option. I think one of the only things the Weirs needs to add to it's current setting is a rebuilding of the Old Gorgeous Hotel that use to be there. It could be built basically where it use to be right behind the arcades in the hillside where the yellow motel units are. The Weirs would then be complete!! That's just my opinion. Please don't jump all over me. It's just my thought!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #95
trfour

Default I guess we'er a little short of...

Quote:

people knowing where there aT. iT'S NOT Weirs BLVD, the Boardwalk is located on Lakeside Avenue!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #96
Sal

Quote:

Remember Andersen's Bakery, in Center Harbor? (where the canoe/kayak place is, now) The best jelly donuts I ever had !
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 AM   #97
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Remember Andersen's Bakery, in Center Harbor? (where the canoe/kayak place is, now) The best jelly donuts I ever had !
I do! Andersen also simultaneously had a place in Meredith. This other bakery was up the road in Pine Hill and opened after Andersen closed. I'm not slighting Love Bites, they are yummy.

Why am I thinking food at Thanksgiving time?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #98
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
people knowing where there aT. iT'S NOT Weirs BLVD, the Boardwalk is located on Lakeside Avenue!
A gold star to trfour. Weirs Blvd follows Paugus Bay from Gilford to the Weirs (Rt. 3). Lakeside Ave starts at the Weirs sign and follows the boardwalk to the wooden bridge behind the general store, where it becomes Scenic Dr. For the record most of those old "dumps" along Lakeside were painted over the summer in some very nice Victorian colors that are most likely in keeping with how they were originally painted.

fatlazyless, I think the one house that became a parking lot was torn down after fire gutted it and it was decided not to rebuild. Right now one of the neighboring houses is using it as parking.

LIforrelaxin, fll is exactly right and as stupid as it sounds some liberal judge has decided that the MWA is responsible for some drunks actions on a road that the MWA has no control over (state and city handle traffic plans, not the MWA). Sounds like someones looking for re-election? There was an article in the Citizen about it a month or so ago.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #99
fatlazyless

Another lengthy article in today's LaDaSun about the 2004 motorcycle accident reporting on trial testimoney from last Friday. The driver is doing time in prison for negligent homicide. The two women pedestrians were not killed as I said, but were injured and received compensation from the mc driver's insurance co. The mc passenger was killed, as mentioned.

The article reads that the attorney for the two injured women is trying to convince the jury that the Motorcycle Association has some responcibilty for what happens at Bike Week.

Attorney: Does the Motorcycle Assoc own Bike Week?

MC Assoc: No, it is a collection of about 100 different events which are individually owned and collectively make Bike Week what it is.

(paraphrasing from memory here)

It reads like the Motorcycle Association and bike week itself is on trial in Justice Larry Smukler's Belknap County Superior Court.

The trial continues into this week.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Wouldn't it be nice if the Laconia Daily Sun could upgrade its' website and make it more accessible and add a search engine for old articles. They do some good reporting on local town government meetings and items that otherwise never get reported.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #100
The Big Kahuna

Default The Weirs Blvd Clean Up

[QUOTE= After all they are low income and cannot afford nicer homes...what a blight on the area.

Given what they could get for them if they sold out, they would not be poor any more, and like a lot of vacation places that change and modernize it creates jobs and opportunity for everyone.