Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
RLW

Smile Alton town warrant results

Has anyone heard how both the town and school warrant articles went today. Tried several locations without any luck.
Thanks kindly for any input.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
fatlazyless

"Alton voters say no to 18.7-mil school building project with a vote of 685-yes, and 731-against. A 3/5 or 60% super-majority was needed to make a new school happen." (LaDaSun)
Little Bear (03-13-2013), RLW (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

18.7 million for a new school? That is insane especially for town the size of Alton.

If course I'm sure that ridiculous expansion of Wolfeboro's high school now has set the bar for all the other area towns to aspire to. At least the voters have enough sense to say hell no.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (03-15-2013), tis (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Congrats to our own forumite Argie's Wife
Quote:
ALTON —Voters yesterday resoundingly refused to spend $18.7-million renovating and expanding Alton Central School. Article 2 to raise and appropriate $17.7-million and withdraw the balance from capital reserve funds, which required a super-majority of three-fifths for passage, failed to garner a majority, falling by a vote of 685 in favor and 731 against.
Incumbent Krista Argiropolis topped the poll in the three-way race for the two seats on the School Board with 672 votes, edging Carlos Martinez, who claimed the other seat with 660 votes. Mary Doherty, a write-in candidate, finished third.
Robert Daniels led the four candidates seeking two seats on the Board of Selectmen with 690 votes and Loring Carr, the vice-chairman of the board, was re-elected with 600 votes. Steve Miller, who recently achieved notoriety as a member of the School Board, finished third with 480 votes, trailed by Lawrence Tilly with 468 votes.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-13-2013), BroadHopper (03-13-2013), riverat (03-13-2013), Slickcraft (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
LakeSnake

What really scares me is that almost half voted for the measure when the state study showed that the trend going forward would be a lowering attendance over the next 10 or so years (due to aging population). Why spend 18mil on a new bigger school when the attendace rate is projected to fall. Especially when an alternative to rehab the existing building at half that price was put on the table. Not sure what happend to that. not to mention the general economic outlook. No I don't need any more taxed, thank you Alton.
As for my nine it works just fine.
BroadHopper (03-14-2013), Little Bear (03-13-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
What really scares me is that almost half voted for the measure when the state study showed that the trend going forward would be a lowering attendance over the next 10 or so years (due to aging population). Why spend 18mil on a new bigger school when the attendace rate is projected to fall. Especially when an alternative to rehab the existing building at half that price was put on the table. Not sure what happend to that. not to mention the general economic outlook. No I don't need any more taxed, thank you Alton.
As for my nine it works just fine.
It's easy and attractive to spend other peoples' money. I'm glad this got snuffed once again. It's just a pig in a poke.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Thanks McDude for the kind words.

A few other things that were hot topics:
The school budget passed and the PMHS Teachers' contract passed, but that still needs to pass in Barnstead.

Just a few corrections:
(1) The project wasn't for a new school but for a renovation.
(2) It had little/nothing to do with enrollment, as it would be 100% occupied upon completion, eliminating the outdated, not-up-to current codes, modulars.
(3) There was no plan to renovate for half the price; just an article for money. It wouldn't have brought the building up to code and brought in the modulars, I'm sorry to say. (Once construction starts, the whole building has to be brought up to code - no more grandfathering.)
(4) Christine Michaud-Tilly finished third, while write in candidate Mary Doherty finished fourth. (The LaDa Sun didn't have it quite right.)

There's a lot of info about the project on the school's website. The Building & Grounds Committee is always open to new members, if anyone's interested.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Thanks McDude for the kind words.

A few other things that were hot topics:
The school budget passed and the PMHS Teachers' contract passed, but that still needs to pass in Barnstead.

Just a few corrections:
(1) The project wasn't for a new school but for a renovation.
(2) It had little/nothing to do with enrollment, as it would be 100% occupied upon completion, eliminating the outdated, not-up-to current codes, modulars.
(3) There was no plan to renovate for half the price; just an article for money. It wouldn't have brought the building up to code and brought in the modulars, I'm sorry to say. (Once construction starts, the whole building has to be brought up to code - no more grandfathering.)
(4) Christine Michaud-Tilly finished third, while write in candidate Mary Doherty finished fourth. (The LaDa Sun didn't have it quite right.)

There's a lot of info about the project on the school's website. The Building & Grounds Committee is always open to new members, if anyone's interested.
That all may have been true, but right now it is all over and should be forgotten. Like the Rex Sox always say, "Wait Until Next Year."

Last edited by RLW; 03-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-13-2013), Little Bear (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Little Bear

Default What if?

I have not done my homework, so I'm shooting from the hip (never a good idea), but:

Could Alton break away from Barnstead (some kind of buy-out?), which would then require Barnstead to come up with another solution for sending their kids to high school? If so, Prospect Mountain High School would then be occupied only by Alton residents, presumably leaving plenty of room at Prospect Mountain for a middle school.

Again, I've not done any research, nor am I suggesting that this could even legally be accomplished; just thinking out loud.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
RLW

Smile

Question for Argie's Wife, where can one find the results for the school warrant articles??
Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
LakeSnake

In black and white:

Excerpts from the Baysider:

BY TIM CROES
Staff Writer
ALTON — A pair of public hearings were held prior to the Alton School Board meeting on Monday, Jan. 14. The first public hearing was to accept and expend unanticipated funds totaling $213,963.86. These funds include monies from Title I funding, an IDEA grant, Title
II funding, preschool education and the REAP program. During the normal board meeting, the board approved accepting these funds.
The second public hearing was a bond hearing on the proposed renovation to Alton Central School. During this public hearing, there was a lengthy discussion about the two proposed warrant articles that are addressing the renovation for Alton Central School. Both of these articles will require a 60 percent passing vote, as they both deal with the sale of a bond to fund each article. Article II calls for the school board to raise and appropriate a total of $17,705,536 for the renovation of Alton Central School. Article III is a petition article that was drafted by Steve Miller, a member of the school board, and raises and appropriates a total of $7 million. In this petition article,the monies raised will pay “for renovation, reconstruction, repairs, and construction of an addition to the Alton Central School to replace the existing modulars units, to repair the existing roof, and to address needed safety and security issues at the school.”
A question was raised on what the tax impact would be per thousand if the Article II were to pass.

Development Council (NESDEC) reports that the Alton elementary student population decreased from 535 in 2002 to 508 in 2012. The NESDEC further predicts the number of students will decrease from 508 to 408 in grades K-8 over the next 10 years
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
BlackCatIslander

Default Funding?

I am just curious about school funding in NH. In Mass. 50 % of the eligible cost is reimbursed by the state. There is no question that schools are expensive and that there are fewer families with children in school now.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
RLW

Smile Results of the school warrant articles

Here is the offical results for the school warrants.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Official Tallies 3-12-13.pdf (532.5 KB, 264 views)
Little Bear (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
RLW

Smile Results of the general warrant articles.

I am sorry for the number of files, but I ran over the limit by .76 mb on the pdf files.
Attached Images

Little Bear (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Little Bear

Prettly pathetic turnout.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default agreed... but what else is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Prettly pathetic turnout.

It was around a 35% participation of those who cast votes vs numbers on the checklist.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default NH Demographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
I am just curious about school funding in NH. In Mass. 50 % of the eligible cost is reimbursed by the state. There is no question that schools are expensive and that there are fewer families with children in school now.
Business NH published the changing population in NH. NH is becoming more of a 'retirement' state as industry and heavy commerce are going elsewhere. Laconia schools population have been dwindling at a steady pace for quite some time. Laconia High School has the lowest class paticipation since they built the second building. The school board is hoping that the Huot Center will draw students from the surrounding area to boost the need for the new building. The new athletic complex will be funded heavily by leasing the field to other organizations for sport activities.

Unfortunately, I don't forsee renting out the complex will help pay for it and I don't thinks students will travel to Laconia for culinary classes if gas prices keep going up. I just forsee Laconia being saddled with a huge debt that they can't afford.

I think Alton is on the right track.
LakeSnake (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
It's easy and attractive to spend other peoples' money. I'm glad this got snuffed once again. It's just a pig in a poke.
Especially when much of the money comes from property taxes levied on out of staters who can't vote!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Little Bear (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
It was around a 35% participation of those who cast votes vs numbers on the checklist.
35% is actually more than most towns got, most were around 25% and the elected officials are complaining that during the November election it was a much bigger turn out. What makes no sense to me is you have more power in a local election than you do a Presidential.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Poor kids loose again, there was a plan B to bad it was reduced to $1.
The quality of the education should not be related to brick & mortar. This is a red herring if I ever saw one. Students should be eager to learn, and teachers should be eager to teach. That's the standard for a quality education. Set up a tent and let the kids learn in there, just like some of these 3rd world societies. That's the true test, not building campuses that rival Harvard and Dartmouth. Enough is enough.

Last edited by Little Bear; 03-15-2013 at 01:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
RLW (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Argie's Wife

I'd prefer not to see this thread turn into a "political discussion" when the focus was to just ask for information and counts (data). Many people involved with the proposed renovation who have volunteered hundreds of hours of their time to try to improve our school. Kudos to them for being involved!

If you'd like to be involved in the process and help finding a solution to the building needs, please IM me for information. I'd be glad to help you help us!
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
jeffk (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Little Bear

Quote:
I'd prefer not to see this thread turn into a "political discussion" when the focus was to just ask for information and counts (data). Many people involved with the proposed renovation who have volunteered hundreds of hours of their time to try to improve our school. Kudos to them for being involved!

If you'd like to be involved in the process and help finding a solution to the building needs, please IM me for information. I'd be glad to help you help us!
Honestly, I'd love to help. The problem is, I run my own business and have to work my butt off to earn enough money to pay these outrageous property taxes - of which, the school portion is the highest percent. Talk about a dog chasing his tail! I applaud and appreciate the people that give their time and efforts to work on problems and solutions. I just don't have to agree with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
RLW (03-15-2013), tis (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
lagoon

Default School Funding

I have watched with interest the posts related to the Alton High School "project". It is very clear that the amount of financial burden far exceeds what the demographics can afford especially with demand decreasing in the years to come.

It does seem as if the school board have blinders on and can ONLY consider more money as a solution, not better or innovative concepts.

Add to that the amount of funding sought seems to be stratospheric and they will not consider anything but the full ride and non bidding for the architect fees as well. Stunning lack of perception of the voters and the times we all live in.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

What happened to the days when the school board looked out for the taxpayers? It seems most of our local school boards and budget committees are just yes men (ladies) to the school administration and selectmen. When have you seen them request a request for money?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Little Bear (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon View Post
I have watched with interest the posts related to the Alton High School "project". It is very clear that the amount of financial burden far exceeds what the demographics can afford especially with demand decreasing in the years to come.

It does seem as if the school board have blinders on and can ONLY consider more money as a solution, not better or innovative concepts.

Add to that the amount of funding sought seems to be stratospheric and they will not consider anything but the full ride and non bidding for the architect fees as well. Stunning lack of perception of the voters and the times we all live in.
Am I understanding it correctly that they didn’t go out for bid to do the architectual work on this renovation?
Also what were the architect fees for the conceptual design, 3D drawings, and cost estimate?
Doesn't Alton have a bidding procedure that they must follow?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Am I understanding it correctly that they didn’t go out for bid to do the architectual work on this renovation?
Also what were the architect fees for the conceptual design, 3D drawings, and cost estimate?
Doesn't Alton have a bidding procedure that they must follow?
Thanks for pointing this out, Rusty.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #27
Argie's Wife

You asked if we had to go out to bid for an architect. The answer is no. The bid process can be waived - and should be in this case. This isn't my opinion - this is based on fact, expert recommendations, and rules of the trade. There's a lot of information about this on the web:

Selection of An Architect
School Construction and Operations Resource Guide
Manual for Planning and Construction of School Buildings
Qualified-Based Selection (selecting an architect)
QBS - The Brooks Act - Federal Law about hiring an Architect

There's tons of information on the web about the selection process, best practices, etc.

The QBS process WAS USED when the architect was hired - I have researched this very thoroughly because when it was first questioned I did not know for sure - it was before I was involved. All of the binders from the selection, extensive meeting minutes and other documentation is all on file at the SAU and available to the public. I can provide you with the names, dates, meeting minutes, motions, if you want - I've done my homework here.

I am sensitive and respectful to the opinions of the posters here who did not vote for the bond. However, the budget has decreased over the past few years and many cuts have been made, while many improvements have also been made. I'm proud of our schools and I'm not ashamed of our work - anyone who has any questions about what has been said in opinions in the papers is welcome to contact for information - I'll respond with facts, as always.

As I said here earlier, I don't wish to see this thread turn political - we're all here because we love the lake, and we all want the same things (e.g. good schools) but may not see eye-to-eye, and I respect that. My invite for you to be part of the solution still stands.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-17-2013), ishoot308 (03-17-2013), Little Bear (03-17-2013), Rusty (03-17-2013), Slickcraft (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
You asked if we had to go out to bid for an architect. The answer is no. The bid process can be waived - and should be in this case. This isn't my opinion - this is based on fact, expert recommendations, and rules of the trade. There's a lot of information about this on the web:

Selection of An Architect
School Construction and Operations Resource Guide
Manual for Planning and Construction of School Buildings
Qualified-Based Selection (selecting an architect)
QBS - The Brooks Act - Federal Law about hiring an Architect

There's tons of information on the web about the selection process, best practices, etc.

The QBS process WAS USED when the architect was hired - I have researched this very thoroughly because when it was first questioned I did not know for sure - it was before I was involved. All of the binders from the selection, extensive meeting minutes and other documentation is all on file at the SAU and available to the public. I can provide you with the names, dates, meeting minutes, motions, if you want - I've done my homework here.

I am sensitive and respectful to the opinions of the posters here who did not vote for the bond. However, the budget has decreased over the past few years and many cuts have been made, while many improvements have also been made. I'm proud of our schools and I'm not ashamed of our work - anyone who has any questions about what has been said in opinions in the papers is welcome to contact for information - I'll respond with facts, as always.

As I said here earlier, I don't wish to see this thread turn political - we're all here because we love the lake, and we all want the same things (e.g. good schools) but may not see eye-to-eye, and I respect that. My invite for you to be part of the solution still stands.
A.W.

I can see why you were voted in and a respected member of the board. You will go a long way to help the town of Alton and I wish you well. More towns need board members like you!

Keep up the good work!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-21-2013), Slickcraft (03-17-2013), Whimsey (03-22-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #29
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
A.W.

I can see why you were voted in and a respected member of the board. You will go a long way to help the town of Alton and I wish you well. More towns need board members like you!

Keep up the good work!

Dan
I agree, Alton is very lucky to have someone as interested and dedicated to helping make education better for our children.
Argie's Wife (03-21-2013)