Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Winter Boat Storage

I take really great care of my boat and I am wondering if other are experiencing the same problem as me. My boat suffers more damage from winter storage than it does during my use on the lake. Each Spring when I pick up my boat there is more and more scratches, dents, rips/tears, stains, poop, missing parts, different rope tie downs (than the nice thick ones I had on there), dirty, dead batteries & more. I'm just curious are all winter storage places the same? I really do not want to say where I currently store my boat but I should!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
fpartri497

Default boat storage

time for you to store somewhere else. they dont care about your property

Good luck
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
AC2717

Default Agree with Fpart

I never have problems, of any kind where I store. They are top notch at Thurstons (where I use) in my eyes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
robmac

I have stored boats at several facilities on the lake. With the exception of one(used to be the fountain dealer) had nothing but good experiences. However if and when ownership and or management changed I would look during the season if I felt service improved or had a hiccup.I have stored my boat for the last 8 or nine years at Shep Browns Basin and have been very happy with how the staff and ownership have taken care of my boat storage and service. JMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Where??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I take really great care of my boat and I am wondering if other are experiencing the same problem as me. My boat suffers more damage from winter storage than it does during my use on the lake. Each Spring when I pick up my boat there is more and more scratches, dents, rips/tears, stains, poop, missing parts, different rope tie downs (than the nice thick ones I had on there), dirty, dead batteries & more. I'm just curious are all winter storage places the same? I really do not want to say where I currently store my boat but I should!
Where are you storing your boat at so others can be warned!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

First if you are experiencing issues with your current storage situation, you should do two things, First try and talk to the management of that marina about your issue, and if you don't get satisfaction from that avenue report them to the BBB.

I would then look for a new winter storage situation. If your boat is on a trailer you may consider just having it winterized and then keep the boat in your own yard. Or find another Marina, that will take care of it for you.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

A few springs ago, I picked up my boat from storage and found mouse hole chewed into my bimini top.......dealer said "Sorry, but those things happen....we don't warranty against rodent damage."
That was the last time I used him. Too bad because they make huge money on storage...it is the most profitable part of the boating business.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post

A few springs ago, I picked up my boat from storage and found mouse hole chewed into my bimini top.......dealer said "Sorry, but those things happen....we don't warranty against rodent damage."

Those things do happen.

What would you expect the boat dealer to do about a mouse? The same thing could have happened if it were stored at your house, SamIam.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Funny you mentioned this. This year my Cobalt came out of storage in awful shape. Mice had eaten the speakers and there was mold all over the boat. I've spent the last 2 days cleaning it. Mold is tough to get off. We have a Whaler in rack storage in southern Florida that comes out of storage pristine, every winter. Did anyone else experience a lot of mold this past winter that never had any?
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
AB_Monterey

We've stored ours at Shep's since new. No complaints, very satisfied.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
Lakepilot (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
challmec

Been storing our boat at Melvin Village Marina and those people have a great facility... and we have not had any issues whatsoever!!
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

True, 2020....but at my house, I wouldn't be paying for storage. That's the difference. I think that when you pay someone to care for your boat, they should use an exterminator if needed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Update

Update-I have discussed the situation with this marina and they are taking care of the major issues(giant dent & hole in the pontoon) and have assured me that in the future the boat will be stored inside a storage facility and not outside as it has in the past.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hubbard Rd For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-11-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
MDoug

Default Winter Boat Storage

Storage and slip costs are exorbitant indeed! I have often thought of hauling the boats out and looking for storage on land!

Our slip rental comes with parking space, too. However, both the boat and car spaces often are taken by interlopers. The marina owner gets angry when we bother to mention it. Sometime tells us just to dock in someone else's slip!

Too bad that Meredith doesn't provide more space at Cattle Landing and Shep Brown's public docks to accommodate island taxpayers!
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote