Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
LDR4

Default Weirs Channel speed

Is anyone else getting as frustrated as I am trying to navigate thru the Weirs Channel at 1- 2 mph? Getting a large boat thru there on a windy day at 1- 2 mph is very difficult. The no wake zones are designed for "headway speed" and for many boats that means 5 or 6 mph. I have even seen marine patrol boats "putting along" thru the channel with no one in front of them and a long line of boats behind them. They should be helping the situation by controling the flow of boats thru the channel not tying it up.
LDR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
robmac

I agree,with no wind it's not easy add the wind and you have problems.and with inexperienced boaters it only compounds the problem
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
jrc

Ah the channel, avoid it if you can, you're always seconds from disaster. Two Sundays ago as I traveled upstream, two PWC decided to pass a downstream bound boat by playing chicken with me.

They yelled at me to move over, I pointed to the rocks on my starboard side, they said "you're going to hit us". I said "you'll do less damage than the rocks". (I was making a point and never intended to hit them)

I slowed and they got out of the way. When I slowed, the guy behind me was surprised, he hung up his phone and honked at me. When told him to pay attention, he gave me a one finger wave.

I feel sorry for those of you who have to traverse the channel every day.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
kjbathe

Default So don't go through the Channel...

And what's the real rush? 2 MPH or 6 MPH -- you're on a boat, on the water, perhaps on vacation. Relax, hang up the phone, and enjoy it! With all the other gripes we want to lay on Marine Patrol, now we want them out there telling folks to "Speed it UP!" ? Isn't the whole point of being on the Lake to get AWAY from that daily nonsense?

Navigating the channel with a big boat on a windy day... I'll take that problem any day of the week.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Captain Zipper

I don't have my chart in front of me but isn't the Weir's no wake zone about 7/10 to a mile long?

I'd rather being doing 6 mph and get thru it in 10 minutes than to go 2 mph and have it take 30 minutes. I'm all for no wake zones but 2 mph????? With current and wind you will have control problems at the speed.

With heavy boat traffic (if it ever happens again), at 2 mph the back up will be enormous.

JRC, I'm with you. And the idiots passing ought to be getting tickets by marine patrol.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Island Life

So how do you go 2 mph anyway? Do you have to keep throwing it into neutral? Paddle?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
jrc

Since I only transit the channel for sightseeing purposes, I'm in no hurry to get through.

But a boat needs a certain minmum speed to maintain steerage. Below that speed you're a cork, and at the mercy of wind and current. Typical boats will move around 4-8 MPH at idle. When the traffic is slower than that, you have to go in and out of gear to keep the speed down. When you are out of gear, you have no control of the boat. If it's calm and the current is mild, then it's no big deal. But when the wind whips up, those rocks seem to be awful close.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
masssteve

With a duoprop its even harder to stay around 2-3 miles per hour. Down stream is even harder. But if you go to fast by Channel Cottages, the "wake nazi" will be sure to let you know by yelling "slow the f#@% down you a%@ hole" in front of all the kids.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
hazelnut

Default I love it!

The Channel is such a disaster but I love it. I try not to let the blood pressure rise when I am in there. I just use it for comedy. Yes it is difficult when things back up and you have people climbing up your butt and then there are those times you have to throw it in reverse. I usually make it a point to visit at least one or two busy Saturday's during the summer.

I recall one HOT HOT HOT summer day years ago when somebody was using the arch on their boat as a slingshot for water-balloons. Anyway, it all pales in comparison to the time on M-Cycle weekend years ago when the channel was lined on both sides with bikers about 8 deep making the pass through about one boats width wide. Any female on a boat was targeted to "show-em."

Honestly I think I would not change a thing about the channel. It gives us a contrast to the other parts of the lake where things might be a bit more tame. The Channel fits right in with the fun of the Weirs. I bet almost everyone here has a "Channel Story." Where would be without them?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Resident 2B

Default Loud mouth at Channel Cottages

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssteve
With a duoprop its even harder to stay around 2-3 miles per hour. Down stream is even harder. But if you go to fast by Channel Cottages, the "wake nazi" will be sure to let you know by yelling "slow the f#@% down you a%@ hole" in front of all the kids.
I agree with you about the behavior of the person at Channel Cottages and his inappropriate language. He is also uninformed about headway speed. I was going through the channel into the current with 3.9 MPH on my GPS. The current was light because the discharge has been low at the dam. I believe I was well within the head way speed requirement, but he yelled anyway with a boat with young children right behind me. Totally unacceptable.

If you are going to act that way, please be informed about what is headway speed and what is too fast. If you do not know, shut your mouth.

I would hope more people report him to the Laconia Police. When I called, they claimed they never had a complaint about this person. This is an issue that must be addressed.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-20-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
WeirsBeachBoater

Default while I can't believe he would use foul language

I do see him yell at offenders, I would to if my shorefront was falling away due to the wakes. He is looking at major repairs there soon. I have to travel the channel and it drives me crazy when I have to come to a stop. Totally unnecessary! If everyone would pace themselves we could keep it moving. Usually I find its a rental boat, or simply someone that does not know how to handle their boat! I am thinking about opening a boat handling school, I will just post a sign in the channel..... That should generate tons of business! (Tongue in cheek)
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote