Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Rag Top Daze

Default Kona Mansion Restaurant - Hidden Gem

Saturday evening we learned of the restaurant at Kona Mansion that's been right under our noses, but we'd been over looking. A couple we were having dinner with are frequent diners for breakfast and dinner. We went for breakfast this morning and it was wonderful! We had the dining room to ourselves; the service was wonderful; the food was delicious; the facility was clean and has quite an interesting history.

Unfortunately, they will be closing 9/20 this year, but there is still plenty of time to enjoy. I believe they are open daily for breakfast, and Thursday through Saturday or Sunday for dinner, but call ahead to make sure of the times.

Please give them a try. They truly are a hidden gem!

I live for a rag top day

Last edited by Rag Top Daze; 09-09-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Winnigirl83

Where is it?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Rag Top Daze

Default Directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post
Where is it?
From Route 25, drive about 2 1/2 miles down Moultonboro Neck Road, turn right on Kona Farm Road, then follow the signs to the Kona Mansion (about 3/4 of a mile). They also have a 9 hole par 3 golf course. I wish we'd known about them sooner. Give them a try!

I live for a rag top day
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Kona

How could this place exist and this forum not know about it?? Is there access via the Lake??
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
JDeere

Default Twilight Zone

I ate there many years ago..............and we too had the room to ourselves. Service was fine, the food fair at best and the atmoshpere was a bit like the Twilight Zone.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
JTA

If you haven't been to the Kona then you haven't had the "total" lake experience.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
meredith weekender

After reading Rag Top Daze post I did some searching thru google and found a couple of reviews of the place. My understanding from the reviews is that a visit to the Kona will really round out your TOTAL lake experienece. Check it out for yourself. I am though intrigued enough that I will try to convince the wife to take a ride up to the Kona for lunch. Worst case, we just get up and walk out.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Rag Top Daze

Default No Lunch

I think they're only open for breakfast (daily) and dinner on Thursday - Sunday...but from what I am told, it's best to call about dinner. If they don't have enough interest, they sometimes don't do dinner. I hope some forum members will help them out so they can be open more!

I live for a rag top day
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Heaven

I rented the whole Kona a long time ago for my wedding. 6 or 7 guest rooms inside, a couple of cabins on the grounds, nice dinner, dancing, wedding on the lawn. Couldn't really beat it for charm.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Lakegeezer

This thread got me interested, so I stopped by today to check it out. Nine holes of par 3 golf is $15 and you can borrow clubs and a bag. There was little going on and the place looks a bit run down, but they were open.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
PennyPenny

Default Been around forever

How could this place exist and this forum not know about it?? Is there access via the Lake?]

and ever. The stables were sold off and turned into apartments. Very pricy to rent though. My daughter and her family live in one and enjoy the quiteness of the surrounding area. They have rights to the private beach as well. They actually go out at night to the golfcourse and catch nightcrawlers on the greens. Many moons ago our class had our senior prom at the Kona Mansion. There is some history to the place.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Traveling to another dimension.....

The Twilight Zone allusion is right, but in a nice sort of way. All we needed was a momentary mist to drift by to complete the scene. It was like waking up to find yourself 100 years in the past, lord of the manor, having breakfast with friends in your lakeside mansion, with a friendly staff to meet your every need. All that was needed was a horse and carriage to meet us at the door when we left! Instead we got into our cars and drove away, reluctantly snapped back to the reality of the present day.

If you go, ask to see the book they have assembled about the history of the mansion.

We found the breakfast to be good, and our server, Brian, to be personable and friendly. He does a great job!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
eillac@dow

I am from Mass, but was married in NH (the "old" St. Charles and then on the Mount). The night before my wedding...my parents, my sisters and I stayed at Kona. The room my sisters and I stayed in was really quite nice.

The morning of our wedding we had pics outside on the lawn, which was beautiful. After the wedding we were back to Kona for the after party (soon to be driven to Logan). It is a nice place...but it does have the eerie feeling to it. Kinda Spooky!

I did have family and friends that rented rooms and cabins on the propery and never heard any negative responses from them (nor positive...for that matter). But I will say, I loved staying there that night. Of course I was being married the next day and I had my sisters with me. Lot's of laughs and a few "sociables" to go along with the laughs!

I have not been back there in years. I have to put it on the list to go back and visit. I am glad to hear they are still in business. It is different, but from what I remember, it was worth it.

Check the place out.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Kona Mansion Inn

I just Added Kona Mansion Inn to Lake Links.

Looks like a very beautiful place.

1900 English Tudor field stone manor on 120 acres situated on a knoll above Lake Winnipesaukee.
9-hole par 3 golf course
Private beach
Boat slips
Tennis court
4 Cabins
2 Chalets, which look quite charming!
Mansion rooms, 5 rooms w/private baths
A/C
Dining
Open May through October
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
looniac

Default Kona Mansion

There's a regular participant to Winni.com named "KonaChick". I e-mailed her a while back for information on the place. I've known about it for a long time, and my wife and I drove in there not to long ago, but we didn't go in because THERE WAS NO ONE THERE.. I'm sending her an e-mail right now to inform us about the place. She had some good information.
looniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
Rag Top Daze

Default Closed for the season

Sadly, we found out about them the week before they closed this year. We're looking forward to visiting them often next year. They are right down the street from us

I live for a rag top day