Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
CrownRay

Default Ever "commuted" to the lake?

Here's a question, for those of us who live away from the lake. Have you ever "commuted" back and forth?

This week, I needed to stay out of my home in MA (for some construction). So, instead of spending $$$ on a hotel for a few days, I have been driving back and forth from Methuen, MA to Moultonboro. I calculated that the gas for a week was cheaper than the hotel. The Drive after work isn't TOO bad, a little slow through exit 5 (93) but still nothing compared to the 6 hours I did to NY for vacation! Anyway, the ride to work in the morning was a breeze. Granted the distance/time, but it was actually more enjoyable than my white-knuckle drive on 495 in the mornings. One more trip up tonight, then staying until Monday AM.....
Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have done this before, never for an entire week... but a couple of days no and again in a row... I also used to go up one night a week on a regular basis as well... but now with a family that isn't so easy....

I always found the drives where easy... start in NH such that you come down into 128 just after the rush, and work late and head back up just after the rush....

I also met a guy one time that was preparing for retirement... As his wife was already retired, and they had found there dream retirement home in the lakes region, he was in the middle of commuting from Laconia, to Boston, for the final two years of his working career.... His comments, was the biggest adjustment was to his working hours so that he could miss traffic... after that he said the rest was easy... he had always gotten up before his wife, however instead of one hour, it was now 3 hours earlier.... His only regret was that the last car he thought he would by for himself suddenly had over 100,000 miles, and he wanted to replace it before he retired.....
Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Jeanzb1

There's a guy near us (Alton/Gilford line) who commutes to Boston three days a week!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
robmac

I have done it in the past. The one thing I can say is the closer I got to the lake on the return trip the bigger my smile and the stress meter always hit zero upon arrival.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
CrownRay

Yeah, doesn't seem to be that bad. Except it will not be fun tonight in the rain. Oh well.

When I visited out in Utah, some people commute 100 miles like it was nothing...although, much better roads out there...75 MPH speed limit
Old 09-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Two dobys

I spent about 19 years commuting from Paugus Bay to Wilmington. Hit a few friday night jams in Salem but most of summer I took fridays off. Also when a large snow storm was forecast I stayed home. The commute was long but I broke it up some by getting off in Concord or Laconia.
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
magicrobotmonkey

I spent two years commuting from Laconia to Boston 2-3 times a week. Took the Concord Coach out of Concord. I got really used to those early morning naps!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
CARDER LANE

Default Meredith to Fort Devens

I commute from Meredith to Fort Devens almost every week day.
CARDER LANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
challmec

During the summer months I commute from Laconia to Bedford Ma. Its a pleasant drive in as long as I leave early and don't hit too much traffic down along Rt 3 in Ma.
The ride home is usually great as was previously stated the farther north I get the lower the stress level is. Something about the Lakes region is simply awesome!!
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton to Cambridge

I have a friend to lives in Alton and commutes to Harvard U 5 days a week. He is 75 years old, putting just under 200 miles a day on the car. Asked him why he doesn't retire, and he said he can't afford to .

He does call out with bad snow forecasted. He travels rte 11 to the Spaulding and I 95. In Saugus, he works his way over to Wellington Cir and then into Cambridge. Up at 4 AM and not home until 430 to 500. Better him than me!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Between Gilford and Nashua

I used to commute 5 days a week for 2 years. This was in the late 70's when traffic was not a problem. I traveled 106, 393, 93 to Rte 3. The only thing I hated was the toll booths. The 106 travel during the foliage makes me smile.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
hampfarms

Smile

My husband has been commuting for the last 10 years from Long Island, New York to the lake every week. He drives up on Thursday afternoons and goes back to NY on Sunday afternoon or Monday mornings. The only complaint he has is that he HATES driving south (never wants to leave)!

Does anyone have any suggestions of what kind of business you would like to have in Moultonborough, Center Harbor, or Meredith? When we get the right answer he will never have to go SOUTH except to visit some family.
hampfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
ushaggerb

Default Business opportunity

How about one that brings the Lake to you where ever you are?
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
hampfarms

Explain!!!!
hampfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
CrownRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDER LANE View Post
I commute from Meredith to Fort Devens almost every week day.
Damn...I actually live right near there!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
dpg

The more bull !@#$% I get at my tax bill in Mass I'm thinking about it more and more. But if I make up the difference in gas what's the difference?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
The more bull !@#$% I get at my tax bill in Mass I'm thinking about it more and more. But if I make up the difference in gas what's the difference?
that the problem, you gain in one area lose in another.....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
HomeWood

I would communte to NC from NH if I could. The couple long trips a year to Moltonboro will have to do until we retire up there.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote