Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
DC Pointer

Default Right type of Tube?

Hi Everyone,
I often seek this forum for expert opinions/advice. I am in the market for a 'tube' to pull my 6 year old around in behind a small 18' whaler of which the outboard has a great 'tower' over it designed for watersports. She will be on this 'tube' by herself. Last summer we were on a square type 'tube' and she seemed to enjoy it albeit I was on it with her. Well, we are going to step it up this year and I am going to buy our own 'stuff.' Does anyone have any advice on where I should go with this? I of course want to buy something very stable as not too frighten her. Should I go with the 'square' kind? I wish I remembered the manufacturer. Any and all advice is always appreciated!
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
codeman671

I would verify with the dealer that the "tower" is rated for a tube. Pulling a skier vs a tube is a big difference in drag. A lot of them are not rated to do it this way, you have to hook on to the stainless hooks on either side of the transom with a harness that goes past the motor before joining into one rope to the tube. Take a wakeboard boat for instance, the towers are not rated for tubes. This has to do with overall stress and the angle of the rope.

There are hundreds of models of tubes. We have an Airhead that has fins for tracking and great handles. We also have a giant 3 person Airhead that is very stable for the little ones. I can find a pic online if you would like to see them. Out of the 2 I would go with the 3 person, seating hte child in the middle.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (04-11-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Dave R

Any tube that the kid sits in rather than on should be fine. As she get older, a flat tube that she can lay on is best for basic thrilling tubing. We have a Super Screamer 2 that seems very well made and fun to ride, for one or two people.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (05-15-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Can't Beat a Warbird!!

I would look at one of the "Chariot Warbird" tubes such as the Chariot Warbird 3. This is a great sit in style tube with a backing and lots of grip handles. It's very stable and hard to tip. The Warbird 3 is a three person tube yet one person can sit in it easily and have fun. I personally like the three person tubes better as they are bigger and handle waves better. I got mine at Sams club a few years ago for real cheap money. Here is a picture of one at Overtons...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...4&merchID=4006

You may want to call Sports and Marine Parafunalia in Gilford. If they don't have it I bet they can order it. They are real good people there and have lots of lake toys and towables.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (05-15-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Right type of Tube

Oh, my, I just can't let this go by without adding my two cents worth. The MOST important part of tubing is the driver of the boat. That is all I have to say about tubing.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Oh, my, I just can't let this go by without adding my two cents worth. The MOST important part of tubing is the driver of the boat. That is all I have to say about tubing.
You are correct, sir!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
I agree. If you can't properly execute a "swirling vortex of terror", might as well just give up.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
ThePlut

Default Rave Hydro

I have a Rave Hydro tube that is great for small kids. Looks like a race boat and has a scoop on the back that shoots a big rooster tail.

I guess they don't make it any more, but there is a newer version here:

http://www.skitube.com/ski-tube-bran...droskitube.cfm

It's very stable, can't really make it slide or do anything, but for small kids, especially nervous ones, it's been a great way to get them into it.

I just bought, for this year, an HO Switch tube, which is 3 tubes in 1. It's an 84" wide deck tube, or the center section can be removed and used as a 2 person deck tube, while the outer ring and floor can be used as a 3 person "sit in" tube. Looks like fun.

I will verify though, a tower is not a good place to pull a tube from and would recommend you pull from the stern. A high pull will have a tendency to lift up on the tube. Maybe fun for adults, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids. Even for adults or bigger kids, I've always had more luck with a stern pull than a tower pull... Just my $0.02.

...Jim
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
4Fun

I use an Airhead "Quick shot" tube. It's a round flat top tube that my 6 year old loves (me too...). One great thing about the flat top tubes are you can use them at anchor as well. They are great for just horsing around on a mini island.

I also have some classis tubes with the hole in the middle and the canvas on the bottom and never use them for towing The flat tops are just better.

I had my first airhead tube for about 5 years before I forgot to tie it properly to the back of the boat. When I realized it fell off someone already scooped it up... I bought the same one again. They are very durable.

You can get them for $70 on amazon.com. Great value...

Last edited by 4Fun; 04-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

In NH, only two people max can be pulled at the same time:

Quote:
* No more than two persons may be towed from a single vessel at any one time. If two persons are being towed, there must be two observers on board, in addition to the operator, who meet the requirements above.
from the NH boating safety handbook.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Tubing

You might want to pick up a ski mirror too. They are quite valuable when you're towing someone behind the boat.
Spotters, of course, are a must, but the driver being able to glimpse what is going on without turning around is great.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (04-12-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
4Fun

One thing to make sure you do is talk to you kids about what happens if they fall off. My 6yo son is a pretty good dare devil IE: Enjoys snowmobiling, Jet Skiing, Skate park ramps etc. but he was still very nervous about what happens if he falls off for some reason. He is over it now but it was a real concern. Maybe you should "fall off" with her and get picked up to show here the routine. That boat looks pretty far away if your only 6!!!!

The other thing We did was keep the rope short at first but that was a mistake. The spray was too much... Just put it out 60-70 feet.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (05-15-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Below are my two recommendations for basic tubing fun. Having spent many hours both riding the tube and pulling the tube here are my thoughts.

You can spend a lot of money on a fancy tube and you really get no more enjoyment out of it. While the multiple person tubes are nice, you need a second spotter when you have a second person in the tube. As mentioned earlier in NH two people max behind the boat.

The reason these two tubes are recommend is one important feature, while the older bigger more thrill seeking child can lay across the tube, the smaller more timid children can sit down in the middle and have a calmer ride.

http://www.sevylor.com/Tribal-Zonetr...-P1961C37.aspx

http://www.sevylor.com/Outrage-Shark...-P2142C37.aspx

Now another item mentioned earlier was about using a ski pole or towers... While you do want to make sure they are designed for tubing, I personally don't recommend them. I have found through years of experience, that using a harness attached to the lifting rings in the back gives the most desirable ride. I am only saddened by the fact that my current boat has very poorly placed lifting rings that make the use of a harness impossible.

Last good tube rides take a while to perfect. Many hours of trial and error will be required for both you and your six year old. But eventually you will learn the "swirling vortex of Terror" and your tubing excursions will become the talk of the town.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
EllyPoinster

Before taking new riders for the "Swirling Vortex of Terror" I like to tell them that no matter how strong or athletic they think they are, however long they manage to stay on the tube is only because I let them.

BTW - not for six-year olds.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EllyPoinster For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Two dobys

I've had good luck with the HO Extreme. It is a flat lay down on type tube. You can easily carry two passengers and the tube has several handles to hold onto. Have fun shopping.
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Belmont Resident

Default A thought

Raised 2 boys and we did a lot of tubing, waterskiing and some bare footing.
In my opinion the tube is not nearly as important as the boat operator and spotter.
Mirror is great if you’re an accomplished driver on a closed course. But they tend to be very distracting especially on a busy lake like Winni with boats everywhere. Driver tends to spend to much time watching the person behind the boat and not whats around him/her.
Also remember because many boaters do not do this, even thought you’re pulling a person behind your boat you still have to give way to other boats as you would under normal conditions. It is very rare to see this on the lake especially in Paugus Bay.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (05-15-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
ApS

Default Tested?

Quote:
The driver of the boat can "whip" the tuber to very high speeds—even higher than the boat itself.

Be sure your PFDs are marked with this minimum warning. This one was found on a new PFD in a size suitable for only children:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (04-11-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I don't know what you want to spend,but there is a new towable out there that is a real hoot......it's called Poparazzi and you can see a video of it on "SportsStuff" you can lay down,sit or stand and you can steer it to some degree.....it holds up to three people and lists for $479.99.......but Overtons has the same thing for $379.99........this is the hottest towable I've ever seen.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
XCR-700

Thumbs up

We have a Rave Hydro and the kids love it!

Is is a very good kids towable, and its very stable.

So far we like this much better than any other towable we have used.

http://www.amazon.com/Rave-Hydro-Per.../dp/B003DKU7RK

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

I don't know but it looks like those kids are exceeding the 45 mph limit in that go fast craft!Pull em over!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #21
samosetguy

Default Kanasatka Accident

This is a great thread. Reading the advice of people with experience is invaluable.

Regarding the comments from acres per second and camp guy, if you're new to tubing, you should be aware of the terrible accident that happened at Lake Kanasatka last summer. It is sadly a perfect example of why the driver is so critical when pulling a tube (more so than a water skiier) and where the whipping effect can be dangerous.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ight=Kanasatka
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samosetguy For This Useful Post:
DC Pointer (05-15-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #22
laddheath

just my 2 cents. We have the Rave Hydro Tube and use it with a 4 and 5 yr old. Its safe, fun and i give it 2 thumbs up. Also a strap broke and i called the company and they sent me an entirely new one.
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I don't know but it looks like those kids are exceeding the 45 mph limit in that go fast craft!Pull em over!
YUP, Obviously thats Rave's marketing photo, if it was mine it would look like we were just drifting,,, LOL

My oldest (10 years old) likes to go real slow,,, We never actually get the boat up on a plane towing him, but then the planing speed of my CVX is higher than many modern boats and I dont think I would be towing little kids at 30+ MPH anyway.

And some days we have just as much fun with it when anchored as towing it,,,

(Lakeport sandbar in front of the Margate)

GH
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddheath View Post
just my 2 cents. We have the Rave Hydro Tube and use it with a 4 and 5 yr old. Its safe, fun and i give it 2 thumbs up. Also a strap broke and i called the company and they sent me an entirely new one.
What do you tow yours with and what speed are your kids comfortable with?

Good to know Rave stands behind their product, not that the Hydro was a lot of money, but its always good to know how a company deals with their customers over product problems.

Good customer service is under-rated these days and is equal in importance to product quality. Well thats one mans opinion,,,

Thanks - GH
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
ThePlut

Default Rave

I agree, Rave stands behind it's product. I have a Hydro, and the scoop on the back got ripped off somehow (the plastic one that causes the roostertail). Rave sent me an entirely new cover and a prepaid postage to return the old cover...

The tube was probably 4 years old...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
DC Pointer

I really appreciate everyone's input!! Thanks very much!!!

This is a great forum..
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
DC Pointer

Quote:
Yes. I agree. Thanks Camp Guy. I am going to be taking lessons with a close friend this summer before I even think about putting anyone in danger. And from there I will be taking baby steps no doubt!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #28
Rattlesnake Guy

When you start taking people tubing, keep in mind that riding in a tube is a lot like riding in a small boat. Easy at slow speed. Once you go fast enough, the tube gets on plane. Going in between can make a big wake in the tube. According to the passengers I have dragged around the lake, this in between speed is not very enjoyable. So while you may not want to quickly transition from slow to medium, your passengers may not enjoy the learning curve in between.

It will be much easier for you to get used to pulling with a lighter passenger as they get on plane at a lower speed. We transitioned to a big big tube as it is easier to keep my big kids on plane and it is very rare that they tip over no matter how crazy they behave. (Or I misjudge the sling shot maneuvers)

Early on I would have trouble with finding a speed that the tube just got on plane and the boat did not go too fast once it got on plane. It always seemed like I was going too fast or too slow. There was little difference in the boat rpm. Once they came out, the boat would come out and I would try to slow down and the boat would drop back in and the tube would drop back in.

My life got a lot easier when I realized that if I tilted the motor up a bit to make it a little less efficient and lifted the bow up a bit, I could achieve a speed where they were on plane and I was not. Different weight riders might take slightly different trim amounts to reach the balance.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #29
laddheath

usually we go pretty slow to start then work it up to plain. If you go straight you dont have to worry about them going out of the wake and the kids can easily handle 20-30 MPH. When small wakes hit the tube they just bounce inside (they love that part) and I have very little worry that they will get bounced out since they sit so low/walls are so high in it.
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote