Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
GTO

Default Hannafords Opening

Meredith Grand Opening: Nov 15th
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I figured it must be getting close, as when I drove by last night there were five or six big fire trucks parked in the parking lot. Must have been doing a walk-through for training.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
imalocal

Yes, the fire department was doing their inspection prior to the opening. I can't wait for the store to open so that I don't have to keep driving to Tilton or Gilford
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
BlackCatIslander

Default A Starbucks Too????

I heard yesterday that a Starbucks might occupy part of the space that was formerly October Farms(?). Any confimation of this? I love Starbucks.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
I heard yesterday that a Starbucks might occupy part of the space that was formerly October Farms(?). Any confimation of this? I love Starbucks.
If that is the case, you will hear Cristen shouting for joy when the sign goes up!!

I will say the Hannaford's going in has certainly improved the looks of the entire plaza- even the theater got a facelift, nice job!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
jerseyonbear

Default Looking Forward

I am looking forward to next summer when we will have an opportunity to go shopping and not feel like we are being taken to the cleaners each time we need something from the market. I usually bring a lot of frozen meat from home for the couple of weeks we spend at the lake. But the produce prices are so out of reason when compared to what we spend in New Jersey. The location for us is great we will not have to fight the traffic to get to Jackson Star or to Center Harbor. We have missed the October Market.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Cristen

Default Starbucks....could it be true???

I would be thrilled to see a Starbucks is right!!
I hope it's not just a rumor.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Lakesrider

"The location for us is great we will not have to fight the traffic to get to Jackson Star or to Center Harbor."

That has yet to be seen. I can't wait to see how long it takes people to take a left out of the parking lot. I'd be willing to make a tongue-in-cheek bet you see a no left turn sign go up at the exit. Anyone want to make wagers on how many accidents will occur there this summer? And wait for the roundabouts....Oh Lordy!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Waterbaby

Default Starbucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen View Post
I would be thrilled to see a Starbucks is right!!
I hope it's not just a rumor.
Hi Cristen -- I'm not a coffee drinker (and that's my disclaimer, lol) but......... what's the attraction of Starbucks? Other than high price and "glamour"? I'm seriously interested in your answer!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
WinnDixie

Default I'm interested too

Wondering why Starbucks ...we have four or five Starbucks right in my part of the city here (never mind all the rest)..two (in Target and in Barnes & Noble) are just yards from one another...and both doing just fine, so I know how popular they are...but, do I wish just one could be traded for a Dunkin' Donuts. I guess it is all in what we are used to...this New Englander misses that French Vanilla D.D. coffee and those donuts.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Lucky2Bhere

Don't get me wrong...I love Starbucks but anything that would hurt the "Village Perk" or "Winnipesaukee Bay Gull" would bother me. The intrusion of big name franchises will only go to dilute the character of the area. Hannafords is a necessity for us full timers. Jackson has outrageous prices and Heath's has it's own niche, but not as a market for everyday. Right now our major shopping is at Market Basket in Tilton.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Cristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Hi Cristen -- I'm not a coffee drinker (and that's my disclaimer, lol) but......... what's the attraction of Starbucks? Other than high price and "glamour"? I'm seriously interested in your answer!
The specialty coffee drinks at Starbucks are higher priced, but those drinks are higher priced at all coffee shops. A grande/medium brewed cup of coffee at Starbucks is less than $2.00, which is also comparable to their competition.

I have never really thought of Starbucks as glamorous. IMO, they create a really nice atmosphere, put out a good product which I enjoy, and their hours of operation are also very convenient.

I frequent the Village Perk in Meredith and Winnipesaukee Baygulls in Center Harbor, but their hours of operation are very limited. It would be nice to have a coffee shop that is open 7 days a week from morning until night.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Lakesrider

"The intrusion of big name franchises will only go to dilute the character of the area."

So what is Dunkin Donuts?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
fatlazyless

About 18 months is how long construction of the new Hannaford's been underway. It is built on a land fill, created in a large Winnipesaukee feeder wetlands, with 1300 dump trucks of fill in 1971. So, I was told.

Building the foundation under Hannaford's required a large number of aprox 30', hollow steel piling tubes pounded into the ground, and then filled with 'concrete.' Building the foundation took maybe six months. It has no basement. It is basically built on a slab with a sump pump, just like the foundation underneath the new MVSB/Charter Trust building, nearby.

So, who paid for that, Cross Point Management or Hannaford's, and how long is their lease? Could be that their long term lease is in the public records at the Belknap County Registry? ...interesting...

Hey, for 86 cents, the Meredith McDonald's has Paul Newman's yummy 14oz coffee, all day long, but you have to ask for a senior coffee and pass for 55. Be ready to get carded!

Hey, for 'no charge' to customers, E M Heath supermarket in Centre Harbor offers up a choice of six different Green Mountain Coffee Roaster's coffee, in those crumbly styrafoam cups. Excellent free coffee in not-so-nice cups. For a real nice, larger paper cup, it costs 50 cents.

Hey, for 1.99, every day, Heath's has serve yourself, 32oz of their famous home made chili that is the equal to jet rocket fuel. Powers you up, for the winter cold!

Plus, Heath's occaisionally has totally terrific, thick London Broil steaks, for like 2,29/lb. Watch for their second Wednesday of the month, truckload meat sales. Time to fill the freezer, every month of the year except for July and August, Dearie!

Hey, Hannaford's has like 165 stores in New England.

In that plaza building, what for many years were locally owned stores like Ben Franklin, ParaFUNalia, EM Heath Hardware, Brooks Drug (exception), Phu Jee Restaurant and October Farm Market has been replaced by big business....Hannaford's and Rite Aid.

Say, how can one trust a Rite Aid with one's drug prescription when they purposely chose to mispell Right as Rite. Plus, the Rite Aid founding president and brand-name creator, who thought up the name, now resides in a federal prison for security fraud?

On May 27, 2004, Martin Grass, age 50, the son of the founder of the original single, Rite Aid pharmacy (somewhere in Ohio), was sentenced to eight years for falsely reporting inflated values of the company so as to raise its' stock price.

Talk about a 'rite' prescription for Martin!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-03-2008 at 10:03 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Quilt Lady

Default Good Coffee . . .

Maybe the new Hannaford will have a Keurig coffee maker in the bakery section like they do in Gilford. A wide selection of coffees at a reasonable price. I love good coffee and have a Keurig. My coffee shop is open 24/7.

(Disclaimer: I do not have any connection with Green Mountain Coffee except as a satisfied customer.)

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
angela4design

Default Green Mountain

And here is where the east meets the west...

Green Mountain Coffee is finalizing the transaction of its $40.3 Million purchase of Tully's Coffee, which - if one has ever been to Seattle - is one of Starbucks' main competitors. (Now that Starbucks also owns Seattle's Best coffee.) So, GMC will now have Seattle-quality coffee, keeping the Tully's brand intact. Who knows if they would open more stores. (Hey, I'm happy with the Village Perk!)

They also bought the Keurig brand in 2006; currently one of its fastest growing segments, actually. Plus, GMC also sells the brand "Newman's Own Organics". Not bad for a little Vermont coffee company, huh?

Not affiliated with GMC or affiliates in any way... I just love my strong french press coffee. And, I've posted my love for coffee before!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
martbri7

Default Anyone remember....

When the liquor store was in the plaza (was that before the Chinese)...I was very young but now as a responsible adult I would like to see it back...nothing like a nip of bailey's and Dunkin coffee or that other brand at 7 in the morning to start your day Brilliant
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
bigpapi34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I figured it must be getting close, as when I drove by last night there were five or six big fire trucks parked in the parking lot. Must have been doing a walk-through for training.
on monday night we walked around talking about the alarms and where we will stage if there ever was a fire there. the store is comming along very nice. cant wait till it opens!
bigpapi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
michael c

Talking meredith shopping center

To the left of Hannafords is a Rite aid: to the left of Rite Aid olympia sports is going in
To the left of Olympia sports is still up for grabs ,or so I am told
Mike
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Grant

Starbucks... the "big-boxification" of the Lakes Region continues.

Next up: the Melvin Village Sam's Club and the Alton Bay Dick's Sporting Goods.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

Some of the chains mean better quality (sometimes) and certanly much better prices. I used to love forgetting my toothbrush at home and running out to the local store. 3.00 for a no-name brush tuff as iron. When at home I could buy TWO Reach's or Colgatbrands for the same money. Cheaper and better quality. Hey, I don't mind supporting the "locals" but I'm not rich either.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

Grant- I hear you but if there was no demand, they would not build it. And I agree with DPG plus it saves me some gas running from Mboro to Ossipee for that Hannaford.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
Grant

In a region where the economy is heavily influenced by seasonal visitors, the impact of the big boxes can be swift and devastating. When everyone shops for price and convenience, the local establishments eventually dry up and go away. It's sad -- if they opened up a Cheesecake Factory in the Weirs, I'm sure it would do quite well, particularly in summer, but at the expense of many family-owned eateries. When they lose customers, they close shop. Conversely, if the big boxes don't realize a profit, they shrug, issue pink slips, and move on to the next pin in the map.

I ain't made of cash (family of six) either, but will always support the local businesses first -- the hell with the big box marts. I support Bradley Hardware over Home Depot, Hall's Pharmacy over Rite-Aid, etc.

But I digress...and am not disparaging Hannaford's, as I know nothing of the store. It was Starbucks that set me off.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
Lucky2Bhere

Check out this article. Hannafords is ranked #5 for healthy supermarkets. (Totally objective, I'm sure) Looking forward to it's opening! The whole shopping center looks great.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet....ef=mpstoryview
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Today is opening day I think...Saturday Nov 15. What the new Meredith Hannaford's has in spades is VISIBILITY...huge curb appeal as viewed from a passing car on route 25..what with the building design, location and bright red lighted signs.

It has a lot better visibiliy as seen from the road than any other Hannaford such as Alton, Plymouth, Gilford. People buy with their eyes....visibility is a big deal in retail.

According to Wikipedia, Hannaford's is owned by a Belgium company called The Delhaize Group and its' Delhaize America subsidiary. In 2000, Delhaize purchased 'Shop & Save' and changed its' name to Hannaford's which originated from a Portland Maine food store in the 1880's.

So, I believe Dunkin Donuts is an English company, and Hannaford's is Belgian.

E M Heath super market and hardware store are probably locally owned and are definately worth the five mile drive from Meredith.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #26
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
E M Heath super market and hardware store are probably locally owned and are definately worth the five mile drive from Meredith.
Maybe Heath's will buy their vegetables from Hannaford this winter. Then it would be worth not making the extra drive from Moultonborough to Meredith. Heath's is a lot better than it used to be, but its still a small store that is missing quite a few items. I look forward to becoming a charter customer at Hannaford's this morning!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #27
angela4design

Thumbs up Four Stars!!!!

I was among the first shoppers this morning, arriving at about 8am and received a "Dinner on Us" kit that included organic pasta sauces, olive oil, pasta and utensils, because we were early shoppers.

The most surprising thing was that I had to wait for shopping cart - the place was PACKED! But, the traffic flowed very well once we were inside. There was adequate staff on hand, handing out flowers, donuts, juice, samples, etc. They were all friendly and happy, no stress to be seen! And, the deals were there, as well! I had nearly $18 in coupons, but saved money by shopping for their sale items, as well.

Checkout... this sounds crazy - was ALL THE WAY TO BE BACK OF THE STORE! And I mean, wrapping around the store, the frozen section, butter, cheese, milk, sour cream, lunchmeats - oh THERE was the end of the line! But it moved so quickly (and I would say, if it didn't)! Employees gave out more samples in line, and fielded the carts and lines like a major-league operation. I left feeling like it was a great exerience - and told the staff so!

The coupons the checkout associate gave me was also good enough to come back often, as if I wasn't already sold! I heard the radio stations there later, too, I guess some people won some big bucks! I hope it was someone we know! We'll go to their house for dinner!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
fatlazyless

According to their website www.delhaizegroup.com, the DelHaize Group is a Belgium based, French speaking company founded in 1867 that has something like 2200 retail stores in Europe, Asia, and America. 2200 is a heck of a lot of big stores!

Suggest you click on the Delhaize history link....very interesting 140 year synopsis from a single Belgium grocery store to world-wide super-markets In the year 2000, Delhaize purchased 106 'Shop & Save' stores, based in Portland, Maine, and renamed as Hannaford.

Is Hannaford a name with French origin? That's a question and I do not know the answer?

The French are world famous for running excellently managed retail stores, and pride hemselves on their point-of-sale displays, and over-all store ambience.

The Meredith Hannaford has a lady store manager with a last name that is a double hyphenated name and most definately French in origin.

......................bon appetit!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-17-2008 at 06:58 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #29
twoplustwo

Default no NH stuff

Maybe Heath's will buy their vegetables from Hannaford this winter.

I hope not. I took the kids yesterday to check out the new store and couldn't find a single NH grown item in the produce department. I wanted a bag of NH macs, had to settle for some other state's apples and the difference is apparent in the peel and the flavor.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #30
Irrigation Guy

Default My first impression.

Went there on Sunday evening about 6 pm. I found the parking lot still somewhat crowded and the store pretty busy. I thought the aisles were too narrow with only enough room for two carriages to pass with no extra space for a person to walk. If someone stopped to pickup something on the other side of the aisle they took up the whole aisle leaving no room to pass. Add that to all the aisle displays that made it so two carriages could no longer pass and had to take turns going around the displays.

The last aisle with the refrigerated case had displays up the middle and if someone stopped to pick something up they basically made it so people had a roadblock to contend with.

Poor planning of flow in my opinion, squeezing aisles at the expense of the consumer.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #31
Lakesrider

I noticed the squeeze as well. But I have been accustomed to this Squeeze as it happens in other stores as well. Go to any Home Depot. They have more displays in the isle than anyplace I know. Try wheeling one of those big 4 heel dollies around the store. Hannafords only has a certain footprint though, in that mall, and has to get as much as possible into a store which is sized smaller. Can't blame them really.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #32
DREAMS

Default Time will tell

I have not had the opportunity to visit the new Hannafords. This store is certainly much smaller in outside dimensions than the standard operation such as in Gilford. What I have heard so far is the Meredith store has jacked up their prices higher than the Gilford store. When I hear about the crowded isles because the store manager choices to fill the aisle ways with junk displays that should be on a shelf. There is certainly a safety issue and the first lawsuit with be a fall in the aisle with the attorneys pointing out the reduced aisle space and store liability for placing objects in the path.

If this store operation thinks they can take advantage of the local community by having higher prices than their Gilford store but cheaper than Jackson's they are sure to lose. With current gas prices, one can drive the extra 20 minutes to Exit 20 and save over a dollar on single items. A major shopping spree will more than pay for the gas to travel the extra 40 minutes.

It is sad to think Jackson's had taken advantage of the locals for so many years by gouging and now Hannafords comes to town with the same philosphy. Wait until Demoulas or Market Basket by Jackson Star site and give Meredith Hannafords some new competition. People should speak up the the Meredith manager and express opinions and let them know how the locals feel. Their success and failure is solely based on local shoppers.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #33
Gatto Nero

Have you noticed what Hannaford, temporarily at least, as done to the business at the other nearby grocery stores? I was trying to track down a special ingredient for an Asian dish last weekend. I started my search at Heath's because it's the closest, although I doubted they had what I was looking for. As suspected, they didn't have it, but I was amazed at how empty the place was a 5:00 on a Saturday. I then went on to Hannaford and the place was jam packed with people waiting to pay in every one the checkout lines. They didn't have what I was looking for either so I went on to Star. Strike three. Again, though, the place was dead, maybe 4 or 5 customers in the whole place. The workers were hanging around in groups just talking to each other. The contrast was amazing. If this keeps up I can't imagine the others will be in business for very much longer.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #34
fatlazyless

For a couple-three days, Heath's was slow-dead what with the new Hannafords and the Heath p-lot was empty......but the Heath customer's are back....Heath's seems busy as usual and the Heath's p-lot is about the same as before.

People shop at Heath's because they like it there.

You know...there's nothing special about Hannaford's....it is one of 2200 stores worldwide....in Europe, Asia, and the United States...owned by Delhaize Group (est 1867) of Belgium....and Delhaize also owns Food Lion in the southeastern L'Estats Unite.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #35
Irish mist

People will shop where it's cheap in most cases, period. I use Market Basket in Tilton because no one in this area can match their prices.
________
BIG BROTHER FORUM

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Irish mist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Stopped in to shop and the place was packed.There was one item that I needed that I couldn't find,so I stopped at Star........it was like a ghost town.
Heaths will be fine because they have great meat and fair prices.Star on the other hand has taken advantage of being the only big grocer in town....charging at least 20% more than the other stores so I don't feel bad for them.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #37
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post

Heaths will be fine because they have great meat and fair prices.Star on the other hand has taken advantage of being the only big grocer in town....charging at least 20% more than the other stores so I don't feel bad for them.
My thoughts exactly. Won't drive from Moultonboro to shop at chain and save very little. We do drive to Tilton for large shopping trip every 3 weeks or so, to save a dollar per item or more. Will always run down to Heath's for those items we need in between trips.

Can't wait for MB to buy out Jackson Star(they definitely cannot survive with their current business model) and cut our drive in half.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #38
sa meredith

Quote:
Stopped in to shop and the place was packed.There was one item that I needed that I couldn't find,so I stopped at Star........it was like a ghost town.
Great point. Until a couple years back, I never really realized Jachson Star's prices were so completely foolish. Just stopped in to grab things here and there. But, when opening up camp back in 2006, I had my wife with me when I went to stock up on everything for the summer (normally I handle the shopping) and she could not believe the prices...item by item, she would say "this is rediculous" . And after it was pointed out to me, it drove me nuts. Way, way overpriced. So this summer, I can't wait to not go there. (Although, in a pinch, I guess maybe...plus the liquor store being right there)
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #39
Irish mist

I have NO respect for what Jackson Star has done to the community with it's crazy prices ! Worst chain....by far in the Lakes Region. He use to do the same thing when he was in Gilford until Hannaford's came in and shut him down. Nothing but a price gouging dump. I'll be happy to see it go.

The philosophy of Jackson Star in Gilford, and then in Meredith was screw over a captive population with high prices for as long as they could get away with it. They never fit in up here.....they did nothing but take advantage of the local population.
________
Cuautitl?n assembly

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #40
phoenix

Default hannefords

maybe Star will go under and Market Basket will take over that spot. Will save me a lot of time not driving to tilton
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #41
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
I have NO respect for what Jackson Star has done to the community with it's crazy prices ! Worst chain....by far in the Lakes Region. He use to do the same thing when he was in Gilford until Hannaford's came in and shut him down. Nothing but a price gouging dump. I'll be happy to see it go.

The philosophy of Jackson Star in Gilford, and then in Meredith was screw over a captive population with high prices for as long as they could get away with it. They never fit in up here.....they did nothing but take advantage of the local population.
I also agree and have posted such in the past. My favorite story is this past summer when I bought a watermelon at Shaw's in my hometown for $3.99 and and then a few days later we were on our way up to the lake and I realized I had forgotten the watermelon at home so stopped into Jackson Star to pick one up. Well the Jackson Star watermelon was $7.99...needless to say we went without! Ridiculous!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #42
fatlazyless

But, there's no question that the Hannaford signs and visibility from route 25 are much better than the lack of signs at Heath's in Center Harbor.

One can easily drive past Heath's on route 25 and not be at all aware that it even exits as a supermarket.

If I were managing Heath's I would take a good look at Hannaford's signs and then get to work on the Heath sign visibility. One sign down by route 25, and one sign over the entrance...just simple, tastefull signs with some colorfull bread-tomato-milk-banana designs or something...that are illuminated at night would be a huge improvement.

In the retail biz...people buy with their eyes...and a good sign sends a strong message. Just look how much thought and effort the Meredith Hannaford has made with its' two internally lighted, bright red signs...and this is a huge Belgium company with 141 years of retail food experience and about 2200 stores, worldwide...

A side by side photograph comparision of the entrance signs of the two competing stores would be educational. As a commercial sign designed to promote a business, what do you see here?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #43
Argie's Wife

We had a situation here in Alton with Hannafords and another little family owned grocery store (McGraths) that is rather similar to the Hannafords/Heath situation in Senter Harbor.

The difference is that McGrath's decided to go into the five-and-dime business right as Hannafords was opening. Although I wish the family well in their new business, there are many times when I wish they had stayed opened. (As a side note, if you're looking for neat, old-fashioned toys for the kids for Christmas, McGrath's has some cool stuff that doesn't take batteries!)

It was far easier to get in and out of McGrath's and I felt their prices were fair. If I have to go grocery shopping with kids, I prefer taking them into a little one like McGrath's vs. going into a big, bright store like Hannafords.

I thought it would be smart if they developed their bakery and meat section a little better and maybe brought in some wines and beers that were out of the ordinary - maybe something like Develder's in Wolfeboro....

I agree that Heath's will be fine. They already have some of the speciality items going on that Hannaford's can't touch; Heath's is "boutique" like in some ways. From the way the parking lot is usually full, I'd wager that people have NO trouble finding the place or the sign for it!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #44
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

My thoughts exactly,Irish Mist....I didn't put it as strongly but you are right.Bought baby back ribs last summer at Star for $5.99........saw them a day later at Shaws for $2.99. I go by Star twice a day to work and back and have not seen more than 5 cars in their parking loy at any one time.Heath's seems pretty much back to normal.Good to see.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #45
loony

I Hope Heaths survives. They should consider extending their operating hours to be more competitive.
My daughter works at Heaths during the summer. I would often pick her up at closing time and have to tell many, many people that they close at 8:00. I would send them to blue canoe or what used to be Murphy's in M'boro. I'd hate to send them to Hanaford's
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #46
Irish mist

Quote:
My thoughts exactly,Irish Mist....I didn't put it as strongly but you are right.Bought baby back ribs last summer at Star for $5.99........saw them a day later at Shaws for $2.99. I go by Star twice a day to work and back and have not seen more than 5 cars in their parking loy at any one time.Heath's seems pretty much back to normal.Good to see.
I don't bgrudge a company a profit.....but what Jackson Star has been doing is being a bad neighbor IMO. 100% mark-ups were/are not uncommon. Jackson is now going to see the other end of their actions....it will be put out of business. Heaths will be fine. They have never engaged in the kind of practices Jackson Star has.
________
Warlock

Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #47
Pineedles

Default Survival of the fittest

Ev and Bob heath created a business model (whether they knew it or not) over 50 years ago and created a product that satisfied the needs of a small New England town that had an influx of business in the summer. They (the corporation) will do fine because they are the epitome of good merchants.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #48
fatlazyless

Yes, Heaths is a terrific store. And yes it is very possible to drive past it on route 25 and never know you just drove past this terrific store due to its' lack of signs. Route 25 is a busy east-west road in the state road system. People use it to go from Boston to the Mount Washington Valley, and into Maine, and reverse. There are definately hundreds and maybe thousands who pass near Heaths every day who are not even aware that it exists.

It is almost impossible to pass the new Meredith Hannafords wihout noticing it because Hannaford has good signs. It is very easy to pass Heaths without noticing it because it has basically zero signs.

Running a store like that without good signs, that can be seen from route 25 is a major blunder. It needs some simple plain, tastefull, conservative, illuminated signs. How about a sign up on the black shingle roof, and how about a lighted sign out by the corner of the parking lot closest to route 25.

Good signs send a strong visual message to someone driving down route 25 and not familiar with the store.

Sure, the local folks all know about Heaths, but what about the non-locals who drive down route 25, enroute from Boston to North Conway. Heaths with its easy parking, high quality meats, seafood, bakery, sandwiches, free Vermont Roasters coffee, fruits, veggies, and groceries, and reasonable prices just may become a regular shopping spot for the commuters but first they have to know it exists.

And, right now with no signs, one can drive past Heaths and never know it even exists. I have driven with folks from Boston to North Conway who had no clue that a good super market was right there.

Can Heaths use a little increase in its' business, especially in the off-season slower months?

Heaths is always working to improve the store with good prices and good food. What they need to do next, in my opinion, is to work on some good outdoor signs.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #49
Waterbaby

Default Employment Idea for You, FLL!

Perhaps you could use some of the ideas you've put forth in your posts about Heath's, go in there and present them as a freelance marketing consultant, and ask for a percentage of their increased profits which will come as a result of your ideas?

Hey, you just never know, it could work and be a nice little supplemental income for you!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #50
GTO

Default Hey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Yes, Heaths is a terrific store. And yes it is very possible to drive past it on route 25 and never know you just drove past this terrific store due to its' lack of signs. Route 25 is a busy east-west road in the state road system. People use it to go from Boston to the Mount Washington Valley, and into Maine, and reverse. There are definately hundreds and maybe thousands who pass near Heaths every day who are not even aware that it exists.

It is almost impossible to pass the new Meredith Hannafords wihout noticing it because Hannaford has good signs. It is very easy to pass Heaths without noticing it because it has basically zero signs.

Running a store like that without good signs, that can be seen from route 25 is a major blunder. It needs some simple plain, tastefull, conservative, illuminated signs. How about a sign up on the black shingle roof, and how about a lighted sign out by the corner of the parking lot closest to route 25.

Good signs send a strong visual message to someone driving down route 25 and not familiar with the store.

Sure, the local folks all know about Heaths, but what about the non-locals who drive down route 25, enroute from Boston to North Conway. Heaths with its easy parking, high quality meats, seafood, bakery, sandwiches, free Vermont Roasters coffee, fruits, veggies, and groceries, and reasonable prices just may become a regular shopping spot for the commuters but first they have to know it exists.

And, right now with no signs, one can drive past Heaths and never know it even exists. I have driven with folks from Boston to North Conway who had no clue that a good super market was right there.

Can Heaths use a little increase in its' business, especially in the off-season slower months?

Heaths is always working to improve the store with good prices and good food. What they need to do next, in my opinion, is to work on some good outdoor signs.
This just came to me....like some kind of subliminal message. What if Heaths put a sign out on rte 25 to bring in consumers that might not even know its there.....mmmm. I think I'm onto something.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #51
Resident 2B

Default FLL Signs, Inc. ???

Waterbaby,

I think FLL has started a sign business!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #52
SIKSUKR

I can see FLL standing on Rt 25 with a breadboard sign hanging around his neck.Heck,that sign could read "will work for property tax on my Winni waterfront home".Or,"will work for lottery tickets".Who knows,maybe Judd Gregg will drive by and donate!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #53
topwater

I do agree that signage does matter, and would bring in some extra customers, I firmly believe , as someone put " hundreds maybe thousands " drove by Heath's and did not know they were there, those people were NOT looking for a Grocery store. If you ARE looking for a Grocery store in that area. you DO know where Heath's is. Even campers during the summer ask someone at the camp area where is the nearest Grocery store, people who own lakefront in that area know where Heath's is. Heath's is just a good all around type of store that has treated its customers decent, and will prevail after all the hub bub with Hannafords. Traditionally when a new store opens up with surrounding competition, the new store will take 10-20% of the long standings business market. Within a few weeks the % drops substantional down to around 10/11%. Health's will in FACT lose some business, however it will still make out quite nicely.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #54
fatlazyless

Standing next to the route 25 entrance to the Heath's Hardware store wearing a sign board that promotes the Heath's Super-Market......I like that idea....probably a much more effectve sign than your standard 3' x 8' illuminated sign, you know. I could wave and smile, and if someone flips me off, I'll just ignore it and wave back.....ho-hum...probably all standard procedure for the human sign-board biz.

What's that Yoga pose where you just stand there like a tree with one leg and one arm up....oh yeah...it's called the tree pose. Standing like a tree on an indian summer, warm December day....holding a large, double-sign for hours.....could be worse...

Say, you know, that Heath''s Hardware store sign right there on route 25 is hugh, and probably not encumbered with any low key, muted, Vermont style, sign restrictons like the Super-Market could have. Maybe Heath's could get creative and come up with a dual-purpose Hardware Store - Super Market sign message and fit it all onto the existing, huge Hardware store sign space. It already has got the absolute best visibility spot right there on route 25. You knows what I means ?

Next thing you know, the Heath's Hardware Store will be selling 35 cent, self-serve, cups of coffee just like the hardware store up in Plymouth. Would that be good for business?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #55
Winnigirl83

Default slight change of subject

Sorry to sway from the sign discussion, but does anyone know what else is going in at the Hannaford's plaza? I know the florist across from the docks is moving there. I assume they are going to where the movie rental place was.

Any news on what's going next to Olympia Sports?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I can see FLL standing on Rt 25 with a breadboard sign hanging around his neck.Heck,that sign could read "will work for property tax on my Winni waterfront home".Or,"will work for lottery tickets".Who knows,maybe Judd Gregg will drive by and donate!
Ya but if he is wearing a breadboard sign, no one will ever see it (except for flyguy) because FLL will be on the ground doing pushups.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #57
PennyPenny

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Ya but if he is wearing a breadboard sign, no one will ever see it (except for flyguy) because FLL will be on the ground doing pushups.
ROFL
I just love it when someone on here catches me off guard and I spew coffee all over the place.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #58
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This just came to me....like some kind of subliminal message. What if Heaths put a sign out on rte 25 to bring in consumers that might not even know its there.....mmmm. I think I'm onto something.
Wow, amazing idea, GTO. You're a marketing genius!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #59
SIKSUKR

WMUR had a piece on the noon news that said Hannaford is laying off a bunch of people.They said it will not affect their retail stores but only their headquarters in Scarborough Me.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #60
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
WMUR had a piece on the noon news that said Hannaford is laying off a bunch of people.They said it will not affect their retail stores but only their headquarters in Scarborough Me.
I guess we can forget that new store they were going to build next to Lowes in Gilford ?
________
TOYOTA AURION HISTORY

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #61
Irrigation Guy

Saw the sign at Heaths Hardware mention the grocery store across the street. Good for them!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #62
fatlazyless

No kidding on that creative use of the well located hdwe store sign to advertise the food biz....it seems like a no-brainer....with no downside...like why not?.........will have to check that out.

As of last weekend, the retail space between the Hannaford and the new sports store is available for a new tenant. I vote for a community food kitchen run by very attractive, female volunteers from the local Lutheran Church. 'Yes, Margaret, thankyou so very much for baking these yummy apple strudles.....bless your heart!'