Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
HellRaZoR004

Default Simrad GO7 XSE Chartplotter/Multifunction Display

Has anyone tried this chartplotter? How do you like it for navigating on Winni? I'm intrigued about the engine diagnostics options/chartplotting, but want to know how well the lake is supported for buoys and such?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Has anyone tried this chartplotter? How do you like it for navigating on Winni? I'm intrigued about the engine diagnostics options/chartplotting, but want to know how well the lake is supported for buoys and such?
It can use C-map cartography, so it would display the Bizer chart, which I have found to be excellent. I have no experience using a Simrad plotter but from what I read about it, it operates in a shockingly similar manner to my Garmin 741XS (and has pretty much identical features and specs other than radar interface). If true, it is a pleasure to use.

If the Simrad does not come with built-in charts, budget some money for them. FWIW, the Garmin 741XS is 200 bucks more, but has all the cartography for the US lakes, rivers and coast pre-loaded, and you can a radar to it.

What year/model engine do you have (or what ECU do you have?)? Connecting your engine to an NMEA2000 backbone may require an adapter.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Hello Dave, thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a radar arch on my boat, so no need for the radar functionality. Great option though. You make a very valid point about the maps, and that's exactly why I wanted feedback. Sounds like for equivalent price I could get the Garmin setup (as it already has great maps).

My engines (Twin 496) have Mercruiser 865364T02 PCMs. Do you know what adapters may be required?

I know I want to upgrade my GPS (since I need new maps), and want to debug capability. The option was to buy a GPS and the scan tool, or do it together.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Hello Dave, thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a radar arch on my boat, so no need for the radar functionality. Great option though. You make a very valid point about the maps, and that's exactly why I wanted feedback. Sounds like for equivalent price I could get the Garmin setup (as it already has great maps).

My engines (Twin 496) have Mercruiser 865364T02 PCMs. Do you know what adapters may be required?

I know I want to upgrade my GPS (since I need new maps), and want to debug capability. The option was to buy a GPS and the scan tool, or do it together.

Thanks,
Rob
I am 99% sure 496s all have ECM555s. I think you need a Mercury Smartcraft gateway to convert to NMEA2000 and I suspect the price of said gateway will be shocking... I'd be happy to scan your motors for you, I always have a TechMate with a 555 pigtail on board, it's a handy tool.

I'd be happy to let you try out the Garmin too. I am very pleased with it. The 10Hz refresh rate and heading line (the Simrad has the same refresh rate and allows a heading extension line too) are two features that make it vastly superior to my old plotter. I can tell instantly when I am on a good heading to avoid an underwater obstruction and can spend more time scanning the water ahead for floating hazards.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Billy Bob

I have the simrad system on my Florida Fishing Boat , Side scan sonar , has the radar option , great interface with your I pad and phone , and the chart plotting is outstanding , weather updates the entire bit. The stereo will knock your socks off , It's a great system And we use it constantly on the ocean but this might be a bit of overkill on the lake . When you add in the modules , excluding the radar , you can drop 4 or 5 k after having it installed . I have a neighbor with the larger screen model that spent 8 k on his . This system is for more serious boating and fishing but you will look fantastic
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
HellRaZoR004

Thanks for all the information.

I'm trying to get more information from a buddy of mine but it appears there may be a way around having to buy the gateway.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Thanks for all the information.

I'm trying to get more information from a buddy of mine but it appears there may be a way around having to buy the gateway.
That would be cool. Please post it if you find it.

My 7.4 MPI has a MEFI 3 ECU and requires a gateway, but they are only 265 bucks from Fox-Marine and I already have an NMEA 2000 network on my boat so installation will be a breeze when I get around to it. Fox-Marine does not make a 555 gateway though.

I've traded emails with the owner of Fox, and he's a great guy, perhaps he can steer you in the right direction. He has a "contact us" link on his website: http://fox-marine.com/index.php?rout...mation/contact
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (06-15-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Rich

Thanks for the link to the Fox!

Being a computer geek, I may need to get two of these!