Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Harris Pontoon Boats

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the Harris brand of pontoon boats? Melvin Marina is a new dealer for the brand and apparently the first one on L. Winnipesaukee. They had an open house this past weekend and will have it again next weekend. They took my friend and I out on Sunday to try a few models. I was impressed, but I want to try a 22' out in the broads. They said to call and that they will put a 22' in the water this week and take me out to the broads. I am curious how well the pontoon boats handle in rough water. I know one just capsized so....... If anyone has experience with pontoons and rough water I would appreciate hearing about it. I feel that I will need a 22' or 24' pontoon to travel the broads comfortably.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Great Boat

Harris is pretty well known for their quality pontoons. I would highly suggest their triple pontoon or performance package option / model however. This style of boat will easily handle anything Winni can throw at her. I would also recommend a 24' over the 22' with as big a motor as you can afford. The 2' of extra length makes all the difference in the world in ride comfort and the big motor is really nice when you need it. I wouldn't consider a 2 log pontoon if you spend any serious time on the lake especially in the broads.

I have a Manitou triple V-Toon with a 250 H.P. outboard and absolutely love it. It handles like a dream and doesn't beat you up in the chop. It's a lot of fun and can handle a lot of weight. The Harris line of boats would be very similar to this.

I also have a 22' Eastern Lobster and by far the Manitou is a much more stable and fun boat to be on.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
VtSteve

Harris makes a great toon. For where you are, I'd recommend the tri toon 24'.

http://www.harrisflotebote.com/Page....liner-240.aspx

The 3 tube versions ride better, get on plane better, handle the rough stuff way better.

Harris makes some great lines, from very nice to very luxurious.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Harris

Great to hear that Harris Pontoon Boats are back on Winni. The last dealer was Thurston Marine. I'm not sure why Thurston gave up the line but it may of had something to do with a switch from Yamaha motors to another brand. I'm not sure. I own a 27'-29' Harris with tri-toons and a 200 Yamaha outboard. It's a nice boat. I had a bunch of issues when it was new because it was a prototype and adjustments needed to be made. They stood behind every repair and the boat is now about 8+ years old and I have had no real issues. Mine has refrig, microwave, blender, sink, charging system and inverter for appliances and more.

If you buy a tri-toon with a decent size motor and at least a 24' you will never have a issue anywhere on the lake.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Great to hear that Harris Pontoon Boats are back on Winni. The last dealer was Thurston Marine. I'm not sure why Thurston gave up the line but it may of had something to do with a switch from Yamaha motors to another brand. I'm not sure. I own a 27'-29' Harris with tri-toons and a 200 Yamaha outboard. It's a nice boat. I had a bunch of issues when it was new because it was a prototype and adjustments needed to be made. They stood behind every repair and the boat is now about 8+ years old and I have had no real issues. Mine has refrig, microwave, blender, sink, charging system and inverter for appliances and more.

If you buy a tri-toon with a decent size motor and at least a 24' you will never have a issue anywhere on the lake.
I want to thank everyone that helped answer my questions about purchasing a pontoon boat. Melvin
Marina is taking us out to the broads on Friday with a 24' tri-toon. After hearing from everyone I think the ride will be a pleasant one.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
John A. Birdsall

Default pontoons

I have a princecraft 24' pontoon (duel) with large logs. I am told that is important and that it gives it stability. This boat was my fathers and he bought it in 1984 and have had very little problems with it. It has never been run off of Lake W. and we have been over all of it. We have pulled two skiers at one time with it and all that it has is a 75 hp Merc. and I think it uses less gas than a regular boat.

I have seen a 24' with the small logs on it and they do not look like a good ride especially if you put four people on it.

There is also a difference where the people sit. For some dumb reason most like to sit as far forward as possible. I think a balance would make the boat more enjoyable.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Knomad

Harris is a quality well built boat. They seem to overbuild compared to others I've looked at. I was very impressed with what I saw at MVM.
We have a 20' Sweetwater that is adequite for most days but it sure is not built as rugged as the Harris boats.
Having delt with MVM for years, I'm sure they will help you select the right boat for your needs. I wish I had waited to buy a pontoon boat from them.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
Harris is a quality well built boat. They seem to overbuild compared to others I've looked at. I was very impressed with what I saw at MVM.
We have a 20' Sweetwater that is adequite for most days but it sure is not built as rugged as the Harris boats.
Having delt with MVM for years, I'm sure they will help you select the right boat for your needs. I wish I had waited to buy a pontoon boat from them.
Matt from Melvin Marina took a group of us out today in a new 24' Harris tri-toon. He brought us to the broads to get some waves. The boat handled great until it stopped dead. Matt thought maybe the fuel gage was wrong and that we were out of gas. We sat for an hour until someone from the marina brought us gas. The boat still wouldn't start. Matt thought it might be a faulty fuel filter so he bypassed it and then it started and we headed back. At least it was a nice day to hang out on the floteboat. I liked the boat, but it did have some minor problems. It handled the waves beautifully.