Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
spitfire

Wink Lake Winnipesaukee- looking for specific location

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I used to go to Alton Bay with my father when I was a young girl. Early 70's. I was trying to find out exactly where I stayed. I would love to go back there someday, but I need a point of destination. Everyone that could tell me has passed away since. Here are a few clues in which I hope will be helpful. There used to be a country store at the end of the drive way which went up hill. There was also, I believe, a string of stores that went up in a major fire around this time. There was also a rollerskating rink to the left of the property if you were looking out towards the water. (I always remember hearing the organ playing for the skaters). I was trying to find archives on either the rink or the fire, but can't find anything. If anyone had any such information to point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Those were some of my best memories. I also remember a beach across from the property where we stayed. It was a cottage, with a screened in porch. It sloped downhill and there was a pier, which I am sure sounds like most properties there. I would really love to visit there, hoping that it wasn't overcome by condos or torn down. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me sort this out. My hope is that it is still as beautiful as I remember!
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Guy

That is an easy one.
The roller skating ring was called the pavilion. It burned down and has been rebuilt as condos that look similar to the original building. There is still a store on the corner. And a picture below shows one that might have been their when you came which is now a post office. Take a ride on route 11 and you will recognize your memories. Some are still there, and some have gone. Many were lost this past winter in a large fire in the area.
Thanks to McDude for the pics.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Gilligan

Thumbs up What Rattlesnake Guy said

Well, RG typed faster than I could so I edit my post to remove the same pictures and the information he provided. Don, er Paul has fast fingers.

The Roller Rink "Pavillion" was right next to the Alton Bay public docks if that information is useful. The public beach was across the bay.

Memories of that area and the rink are wonderful.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
spitfire

Default Thank you!

Thank you both for your responses. WOW!!! I never thought I would ever get an answer. Please see the pics down below. The beach I am talking about is behind us in the boat. The other is the house we stayed at. Anyone seen it? lol. I really hope to get there someday. I tried google earth to see if I could get an arial view and I believe I found the area. Those photos were absolutely great! Thank you so much. I will be checking back to see if anyone else had any info, but this is already more then I could of hoped for. Does anyone know the name of the street that the store is on?
Again, thanks so much!

spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Coolbreeze

Great pictures everyone! The beach in the back of the picture sure looks like tha Alton Public beach to me! The angle of the shot appears to be taken from the public docks on the opposite side. Spitfire, try doing a windows live local or the like search and type in Alton bay Marina or Alton bay. You may get the overview you are looking for. With all this detective work, sounds like a fall road trip is in order, plenty of nice places to stay along the way! Enjoy the experience.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

Spitfire.
This will give you a satellite view of the area. Goggle maps only shows the road as route 11. The beach is still there. The boat house is also. I don't recognize the house, but I am sure someone will. Do you remember where it was relative to the roller rink? There was a big fire this spring in which 40 houses were sadly lost.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
This'nThat

Do you remember a mini-golf course near the house, or any ice cream stores? These would be on the West side of the Rt 11 roadway.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
RumGuy

Default Fire

The fire that you had mentioned was probably McGrath's Market, that was located between the Busy Corner store and the beach.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default The picture on left is

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Thank you both for your responses. WOW!!! I never thought I would ever get an answer. Please see the pics down below. The beach I am talking about is behind us in the boat. The other is the house we stayed at. Anyone seen it? lol. I really hope to get there someday. I tried google earth to see if I could get an arial view and I believe I found the area. Those photos were absolutely great! Thank you so much. I will be checking back to see if anyone else had any info, but this is already more then I could of hoped for. Does anyone know the name of the street that the store is on?
Again, thanks so much!

Definitely looking across the bay at the Alton Town Beach, before it was renovated just a few years ago. The point of reference would probably be behind the Shoppes at the bay, or even a little bit more toward the end of the bay, Amilynnes (Busy corner). Here is a picture I took from the pavilion looking at the beach (the right side of the pavillion.)

Note the bathrooms, green building, and Harmony Park, with the covered picnic area to the left. I do not recognize the house.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Just Sold

Spitfire,
There are a couple of cottages that are between Gillan Marine and the Shops building and one that looks like the one in the picture. It cannot be seen from the road - only the water. I would guess that is where you stayed. On the satellite view it is in the corner of the shoreline and obscured by the trees.

Last edited by Just Sold; 09-16-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Great information...Any Meredith people who remember...

A place that my family first rented back in the early fifties? I know my brother was an unplanned but not unloved infant. Mom and Dad used my doll carriage for him. He will be 58 in Dec. My other brother will be 66 in December. As some of you know I am a 67 year old grandmother. It was down Meredith Neck Road and had a white home with a lawn in front that was sometimes used for croquet. There was a barn past the lawn to the left.

Along the right was an area of small cottages. They were tiny and one was a "double" cottage. If you walked down a grassy hill in the woods there was a nice sandy beach that we all used. To get back to the cottage you had to climb back up the hill and there were mosquitos that used to bite us.

I found this place again maybe twenty years ago but did not have my camera. I took my mother out to search for it. Mom will be 93 next month. It still had the tiny cottages but it did not look like they were still being used. I tried to go back some years ago with my camera to look for it again but there had been a lot of construction and I had no idea where it had been. I want to say the family that owned it back in the fifties was named Harris. Not sure though. The cove like beach was only a small part of a piece of land that they owned along the water as I recall Mom saying. Does anyone have a picture of this place? Many years ago I remember seeing sort of a post card with an image of the home and cottages and maybe the beach. Thanks for any help. PS my parents came with another family who were smart enough to purchase a piece of land on Castle Shores for around 500 dollars or something and built a cottage on cement blocks etc. This is how my family came to be lovers of Lake Winnipesaukee. In 1986 I purchased my home here!!
LovelyToSeeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
gtxrider

Default Oh yes!

The boat picture looks like where I used to dock to go to McGrath's. It is at the end of Alton Bay right by the bridge. Now that area is rented dock space.

That boat remindes me of the boat we learned to ski behind. 14" Starcraft with a 10HP Evinrude. We were use kids when we learned.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
LovelyToSeeYou

Default The place I am looking for on Meredith Neck had..

A home and in front of it where there was grass and an area for croquet that we all played from time to time etc. Barn to the left and cottages to the right. I did not post that it was down Meredith Neck Road before. The owners had sort of a point down on the water that was not developed at that time in addition to the part they lived in and had the TINY cottages my parents and their friends were renting. This was in the early 50ties. So it was a group of small rental cottages in a row one of which was a double and then a barn and a walk down a hilly trail on the property to a cove like sandy beach. Think the owner's name was Harris and there was a small postcard like thing that I once saw that had the pictures of this place. I just do not remember more about this lovely spot but then again I was only about nine. I can see it clearly in my mind's eye though and just wondering if there would be an record of it any where. I did find it some twenty years ago but no camera. My mom and I just laughed and laughed. If anyone can remember this site I would love to hear about it and perhaps see a picture? Thanks, no luck so far but hoping.................
LovelyToSeeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
nj2nh

That house that you have in the picture looks a little like the Tip O the Bay, near what used to be Myrtle Ann's and is now Dockside. I don't remember it being a hotel sort of place though, but I suppose it might have been. It isn't right on the water, though.

nj2nh
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Could this be it?

Could this be it ? The pavilion is on the right.
Attached Images

Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Looks Like!

Nice job Sunset Bob. Everyone else too.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Wow!

Nice Job Sunset Bob... !
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

nice job Bob! Amazing detective work. How long did it take you to go through all of your photos to find it?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Not Long

Not long maybe 10-15 minutes.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #20
weim2

Smile Blue Jay Pic

Nice to see that pic of the Blue Jay. I worked there for 5 summers, 1968-1972. My sister in law was there before me and my husband helped at the mini golf course and he was a regular Mount diver.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Some Pics of the house and area.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #22
Dave R

I gotta say, you folks impress me. That was some nice detective work and a kind thing to do.

I've got some helm time aboard one of the boats in the pictures Rattlesnake Guy posted.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote