Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Granite counter update in kitchen ?

Was thinking of upgrading my kitchen counters to granite.

I'll most likely be selling my home in the next 2 years, and wondering what the 'return on investment' would be considering the cost.

Haven't got any pricing yet, just considering the thought!

Thanks for your feedback.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
DickR

What constitutes the "right" granite countertop is a very personal matter. In other words, it's what the "wife in command" likes. Unless the future WIC is involved in the selection of countertop (highly unlikely), I would say that ROI on granite countertop is negative. Others may disagree, notably other WIC.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
brk-lnt

"It depends".

All other things being equal (though they never are) most sellers would prefer a home with granite counters (any color/style) over a home with laminate counters (any color/style).

As a *very* rough estimate, assume about $120/linear ft of counter for a decent granite. That's installed, and accounting for polished edges, sink cutout, etc. Again, it's a rough estimate, but it gives you something to start with.

A small 12x12 kitchen might have 28 linear feet of counter total (a 3-sided setup, some left out for a slide-in stove, fridge, etc.). So you'd be about $3,360.

Will the granite add $3360 to your selling price? Hard to say. It will almost certainly make the house more attractive, which can make it sell faster. If you're still carrying a mortgage on the house and it sells 1 month quicker that could save you an ~$800 mortgage payment.

Kitchen remodels are one of those things that tend to have higher payback value. But IMO you need to look at the whole kitchen to decide this. Granite counters on old cabinets with a semi worn out linoleum floor won't do much because most buyers will look at that and think the whole kitchen needs to be remodeled. Granite tops on presentable cabinets and a nice tile floor would probably give the whole space a nice uplift.

So, "it depends".
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
8gv

i recently sold my house and these decisions nagged me. We had a very nice Corian counter with a deep double bowl sink that was molded in. In our view, it was superior in appearance and function to a granite installation. It was also in the middle of the counter evolutionary scale, situated between laminate and granite. Or so we thought...

After a short investigation at the kitchen store we discovered that other materials were working there way into the mix, possibly sending granite to "dated" status. We made no changes.

Does your property have other desirable features that will help it sell? If so, I would not do the counter.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
bigdog

Thanks folks for all great feedback !

The one thing mentioned that struck me was the comment about the future WIC. Yes she will probably be the deciding factor on new home purchase.
This said, if she doesn't like the granite, it will definitely be a 'turn off' for her, and thus a 'no purchase' !

I have a rough price guess of about $5,000 for new granite counters.
Will it make the kithcen look nicer and more appealing, maybe?
Do I want to spend $5,000 for a 'maybe'..... No, I'll gamble w/o the upgrade.

The way I look at it, I'd rather take $5k off the selling price, that go though
all the demolition and reconstruction work.

Thansk again.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Smokienorm

Default Stone Countertops

We had out countertops replaced with "quartz" from the following supplier, which appears to be one of the majors in this area- they were very efficient laser measuring, etc) and great on the installation. They have all sots of stone products, including granite:

Rumford Stone Showroom
95 Sheep Davis Road
Route 106
Pembroke, NH 03275
Showroom Hours:
Monday – Wednesday, 9am until 5pm
Thursday, 9am until 6pm
Friday, 9am until 5pm
Saturday, 10am until 5pm
Closed Sundays
Phone: 603.224.9876
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Island Girl

Default WIC wants a nice kitchen

Women want nice kitchens. If low end very neutral granite, decent floor and cabinets can be done reasonably then more woman will consider the house. If there will be a lot of remodeling and the house is a fixer upper then don't bother withe the upgrade now. The problem sellers have is being honest with themselves about the house they are selling and its appeal the a wide variety of buyers.

Just my humble opinion
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
songkrai

Are all of your appliances stainless steel and same brand?

Does everything else look new and spotless?

If not, skip it.

I've viewed enough HGTV - and viewed multiple times - the woman stating that the color of the granite is awful and has to be replaced. Go figure.

Street appeal is more important. Clearing up all unnecessary "stuff" in house and garage is more important. If you have pets - make sure that doesn't show.

If wall to wall carpets - get those replaced. Does the master bath have two sinks?

View some of the HGTV shows. The ones where people/couples are buying a house. Might give you an idea of priorities.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote