Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
djj

Default Shooting Bears

First, I should state that this is not a review of the food at the Bob House (formerly Grill 25) in Moultonborough. This is a review of the owners and their values and principals…or lack there of, which I think is equally important in a review of any business as people should know what kind of people are behind the business they are supporting. In fact I have not eaten there, but have been planning to after hearing from some trusted sources that the food there is quite good. That is until a friend told me the story outlined below. After hearing these facts for the first time I knew I could never support this business and would never be able to dine there. I also felt compelled to share this info with as many people as possible.

Next, I should also state that I am new to this forum but have been reading it on and off for about a year. I know that many comments and posts from newbies are taken with a grain of salt, but what I am about to outline is true and can be confirmed by several neighbors of this restaurant.

Finally, you should know that I am an animal lover, though I wouldn’t go as far to say I am a member of PETA or a vegetarian or anything like that. I just believe that animals have as much right to inhabit this planet as we do. One of the reasons I love NH is because of the many chances one has to see animals such as moose, deer, and bear. This brings me to my issue with the owners of the Bob House.

When the new owners first opened they were very excited by the fact that nightly they were, or should I say their inadequate trash receptacle was visited, by a black bear. Soon after the novelty wore off because apparently it made quite a mess (as bears will do) and unfortunately they had to clean it up. A real nuisance I’m sure, but not uncommon. I myself have had a bear rip through my trash on several occasions and have had to deal with cleaning up the colossal aftermath. I have solved the issue by storing my trash in an area that the bear cannot get to. I haven’t seen the bear since. Apparently this simple solution is too complex for the idiots who own this restaurant! Instead of ordering a dumpster with heavy metal lids to replace the bear friendly plastic lidded one they currently use, they decided to have a neighbor from across the street shoot the bear. In my opinion, a somewhat lazy and rather cruel approach to the problem.

The problem persists. Apparently there is another bear visiting their dumpster. Will they kill again???
djj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

Default A bit off topic (as is previous post)but..

Are there not some regulations about shooting bears just because they are a nuisance for somebody?? (My title may seem confusing but this was originally posted on the Bob House thread).

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 10-10-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Airwaves

If it bothers you then contact fish and game and complain about the improper disposal of trash that is attracting the bears. Then if it's ignored it seems the state can do something.

Quote:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/fis300.html

PART Fis 310 CONTROL OF NUISANCE BLACK BEARS

Fis 310.01 Control of Nuisance Black Bears.

(a) No person shall use, place, provide, give, expose, deposit, scatter or distribute any material that results in attracting black bears after being noticed by the executive director or his designee to cease the activity because the activity might result in injury to a person, damage to property or create a public nuisance.

Source. #8576, eff 3-2-06
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
djj

Actually, I know one of the neighbors contacted Fish & Game. I'm not sure of the full story, but I know the man she spoke with was supposed to call her back and never did. I will try to get more details ASAP. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Airwaves

I would suspect that since we are headed into winter, and bears tend to take long naps this time of year, that you won't hear much until spring.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think it is still bear season. I know someone who shot one a week or two ago.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by djj View Post
First, I should state that this is not a review of the food at the Bob House (formerly Grill 25) in Moultonborough. This is a review of the owners and their values and principals…or lack there of, which I think is equally important in a review of any business as people should know what kind of people are behind the business they are supporting. In fact I have not eaten there, but have been planning to after hearing from some trusted sources that the food there is quite good. That is until a friend told me the story outlined below. After hearing these facts for the first time I knew I could never support this business and would never be able to dine there. I also felt compelled to share this info with as many people as possible.

Next, I should also state that I am new to this forum but have been reading it on and off for about a year. I know that many comments and posts from newbies are taken with a grain of salt, but what I am about to outline is true and can be confirmed by several neighbors of this restaurant.

Finally, you should know that I am an animal lover, though I wouldn’t go as far to say I am a member of PETA or a vegetarian or anything like that. I just believe that animals have as much right to inhabit this planet as we do. One of the reasons I love NH is because of the many chances one has to see animals such as moose, deer, and bear. This brings me to my issue with the owners of the Bob House.

When the new owners first opened they were very excited by the fact that nightly they were, or should I say their inadequate trash receptacle was visited, by a black bear. Soon after the novelty wore off because apparently it made quite a mess (as bears will do) and unfortunately they had to clean it up. A real nuisance I’m sure, but not uncommon. I myself have had a bear rip through my trash on several occasions and have had to deal with cleaning up the colossal aftermath. I have solved the issue by storing my trash in an area that the bear cannot get to. I haven’t seen the bear since. Apparently this simple solution is too complex for the idiots who own this restaurant! Instead of ordering a dumpster with heavy metal lids to replace the bear friendly plastic lidded one they currently use, they decided to have a neighbor from across the street shoot the bear. In my opinion, a somewhat lazy and rather cruel approach to the problem.

The problem persists. Apparently there is another bear visiting their dumpster. Will they kill again???
The Bob house opened in the summer. I didn't think you could shoot bears out of season. I find that rather upseting. Store the trash properly. Remember the bears were on this land long before us. Who is in the wrong here?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
topwater

Well, with 2 posts, thats the way to jump on the bandwagon !. This area you refer to is in Wildlife management Unit J1. The season for bear in this area is from Sept 21 thru Nov 10th. So if they are not shooting the bear at night, than it is perfectly LEGAL. It does sound to me like you are a TREE HUGGER and I am willing to bet you are not from around this area. Bear hunting has been going on for more years then you have been on this earth. It is a constituational right of individuals in the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE. No-- I do not hunt, but I used to quite intensely, however now I spend more time on the lakes fishing. But if its legal, and you don't like it, MOVE !. Spend more of your timing worrying about illegal aliens and all the money this country is wasting on them, when we can't even feed all of the americans in the country. The bears have always taken care of themselves, start checking some Green Cards! I doubt Fish and game will have anything to say about it
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Waste Management is happy to supply dumpsters with steel covers that can be chained shut. When we first had a bear problem, they came right over and swapped out the dumpster.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
JDeere

Default Illegal Alien Bears.....Oh My!

Quote:
Spend more of your timing worrying about illegal aliens and all the money this country is wasting on them, when we can't even feed all of the americans in the country. The bears have always taken care of themselves, start checking some Green Cards! .
Are you telling us that these black bears are illegal aliens? Are they from Canada? Please do not tell me they are Mexican bears or worse Guatemalan’s! I hope these alien bears are not stealing garbage from dumpsters that rightfully belong to NH bears. Where is our state and country headed??
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

Default Tree huggers,aliens,bears,Oh My!!

Sometimes a dispute over bears and trash is just a dispute over bears and trash and not a sign of the demise of our GREAT REPUBLIC or the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
twoplustwo

Default green cards

We have a family of bears on our back 40. The mom may indeed have slipped across the border illegally, but the babies were born here. They're citizens, whether you like it or not, topwater. I wonder if they qualify for food stamps and Healthy Kids?

I'm off to hug a tree, but will squish any alien spiders or snakes I encounter. Tree hugger or not, I don't like them.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Well, with 2 posts, thats the way to jump on the bandwagon !. This area you refer to is in Wildlife management Unit J1. The season for bear in this area is from Sept 21 thru Nov 10th. So if they are not shooting the bear at night, than it is perfectly LEGAL. It does sound to me like you are a TREE HUGGER and I am willing to bet you are not from around this area. Bear hunting has been going on for more years then you have been on this earth. It is a constituational right of individuals in the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE. No-- I do not hunt, but I used to quite intensely, however now I spend more time on the lakes fishing. But if its legal, and you don't like it, MOVE !. Spend more of your timing worrying about illegal aliens and all the money this country is wasting on them, when we can't even feed all of the americans in the country. The bears have always taken care of themselves, start checking some Green Cards! I doubt Fish and game will have anything to say about it

I wouldn't call baiting a Bear and then shooting it "Bear hunting". I would call that just as djj said "somewhat lazy and rather cruel approach to the problem".

We should treat any animal with the respect that they deserve. If there is a hunting season for them and everyone follows the law then I'm all for it. But if we setup an animal and then blame it for being a problem, then we are the ones to blame.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Airwaves

While it may indeed be bear hunting season I don't think that a dumpster is an approved method of baiting bear but then I am not a hunter so I could be wrong.

Quote:
To bait bear, a permit (Fish and Game form 180) and map of the bait site must be filed with the local conservation officer before placing the bait. One bait site is allowed in WMUs A, B, D1, H1, H2, I2, K, L and M; two baits are allowed in the remainder of the state. Only the person listed on the permit may bait or add any bait. The bait site must have a legible sign, at least 3 inches by 6 inches, with baiter's name and address and may have names of 2 other persons listed who could then take bear over the bait. Baiting permits are available at regional offices
Again, I an not familiar with the exact location of the dumpster in relation with the restaurant building, but I would guess that it might be within the restricted zone.

Quote:
Discharge Restrictions/Compact Areas: It is illegal to shoot a firearm or bow and arrow within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or occupant, or from the owner of the land on which the person shooting the firearm or bow and arrow is situated. A firearm may not be discharged within 300 feet of any commercial, educational or medical building, or outdoor public gathering place.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt...es.htm#general

Of course if the bear was an illegal alien then all bets are off!

Last edited by Airwaves; 10-11-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: cleaned up sentence
Old 10-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Argie's Wife

I'm confused... which season is it? Bears? Illegal aliens? or Tree Huggers?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
djj

Talking

Quote:
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but I am not a TREE HUGGER…but if I were that would be my CONSTITUTIONAL (notice the correct spelling) RIGHT! I guess it would be easy for somebody like yourself who sees everything as either black or white to make that assumption. Just as easy as it would be to assume from your post that you are a SELF-RIGHTEOUS NEANDERTHAL.

Obviously I didn’t make myself clear. Yes, I don’t like that they shot the bear, but my real point is that I don’t like how they went about it. They really seemed to enjoy the novelty of the bear at first, but when it became too much work for them to keep cleaning up after it, they killed it! I feel that they enticed it, and trapped it. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Whether I am “from around here” or not doesn’t matter. I have a “CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT” as an “INDIVIDUAL” to live in the “GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE!” In fact many people who live in NH are not from NH, “but if its legal, and you don't like it, MOVE!”

Last edited by djj; 10-11-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 10-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
topwater

Well, it really was a foolish statement, I agree, about you not from here, It is quite obvious. Now you admit you do not know if they harvested the bear legal or not! But you have a problem with either way. Sounds to me if you don't like something it's " Just not right " ! Sorry to disappoint you, but you are one of the minority in the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, rergarding harvesting of animals. If you do not know how (legal or illegal) why discuss it on a forum without knowing the FACTS ! This is very VERY typical of imports to this state. Yes --- someone like yourself. Please let me know what Fish and Game has to say, would be greatly appreciated. When you do report on what fish and game has to say, please, please give us the NAME AND RANK of the individual you spoke to and don't para phrase, give us the EXACT QUOTE. Thank you very much for your concern with the bear population of NH. I am awaiting for the statement from Fish and game .
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Coolbreeze

Topwater...pretty intense.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Yosemite Sam

topwater wrote:
Quote:
Now you admit you do not know if they harvested the bear legal or not!
And do you?

topwater wrote:
Quote:
But you have a problem with either way.
If you read what djj said, it has nothing to do with legal or illegal. It has to do with they enticed it, trapped it and then shot it.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, but you are one of the minority in the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, rergarding harvesting of animals.
Show me some statistics about that please.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
If you do not know how (legal or illegal) why discuss it on a forum without knowing the FACTS .
I still don’t know where djj said anything about shooting that bear was legal or illegal. It wasn’t part of his/her original post.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
This is very VERY typical of imports to this state. Yes --- someone like yourself.
Show me some statistics about that also.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
Please let me know what Fish and Game has to say, would be greatly appreciated.
Why don’t you do some research yourself. You seem very concerned about the subject.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
When you do report on what fish and game has to say, please, please give us the NAME AND RANK of the individual you spoke to and don't para phrase, give us the EXACT QUOTE.
And you know that djj wouldn’t have done that anyway.

topwater wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for your concern with the bear population of NH
Where did djj say anything about that?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
djj

Smile

Quote:
Well, it really was a foolish statement, I agree, about you not from here, It is quite obvious. Now you admit you do not know if they harvested the bear legal or not! But you have a problem with either way. Sounds to me if you don't like something it's " Just not right " ! Sorry to disappoint you, but you are one of the minority in the GREAT STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, rergarding harvesting of animals. If you do not know how (legal or illegal) why discuss it on a forum without knowing the FACTS ! This is very VERY typical of imports to this state. Yes --- someone like yourself. Please let me know what Fish and Game has to say, would be greatly appreciated. When you do report on what fish and game has to say, please, please give us the NAME AND RANK of the individual you spoke to and don't para phrase, give us the EXACT QUOTE. Thank you very much for your concern with the bear population of NH. I am awaiting for the statement from Fish and game .

Actually the legality of this has never entered my mind. I originally posted this in the restaurant reviews section but it was moved here. I posted this because I wanted people to know before they visited this place of business. When I hear of or see some action that I totally disagree with, it does affect my thoughts about that person, or a in this case, this business and the people behind it. Depending on the situation, it makes me want to avoid any dealings with them. I thought this would be informative to people of the same mind set. In MY OPINION the way these people conducted themselves was very wrong. It's as simple as that. I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble with the state. My original post is just an FYI to people who this might make a difference to. Obviously you are not one of these people...and that is fine.

I do not have any intention of following up with Fish and Game. Based on the lack of response my friend got, it is safe to bet where they stand on the issue.

Just to make it even more clear. I am against hunting. I don't agree with it, but I do understand that people have the right to hunt. That is their privilege and I haven’t any intentions of standing in their way. I also know that in many cases hunting serves a purpose. I'm not an activist. I'm not really concerned about the bear population in NH. I'm not out counting them or anything.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Pineedles

Default Hunting

Quote:

Just to make it even more clear. I am against hunting. I don't agree with it, but I do understand that people have the right to hunt. That is their privilege and I haven’t any intentions of standing in their way. I also know that in many cases hunting serves a purpose.
Not being sure why you are against hunting, particularly since you see in many cases a purpose to hunting. Is there any way I can make you feel more comfortable with the notion of hunting? I appreciate your statement that there is a right to hunt, but it does go much further than just a right. It is who we are as a species.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Misty Blue

Default Dangerous animals...

djj:

I get the sence from your post(s) that you are a good person with a good heart. Most of the people that I know who do not "like" hunting are not eco-terrorists but, like yourself, caring people. Oddly enough most of these people spend very little time in the woods studying them.

Hunters are a very important part of the state's plan to maintain good healthy herds. No matter what species, Deer, bear, turkey, etc. The hunters are the one thing that the scientists can control. The NH Fish and are experts and can predict how many animals are taken (male and female) in an area and how to control the licensing to maintain a healthy herd. I do hunt but not bear. I don't really enjoy the meat and they serve a better purpose to me personally being alive doing their thing in the woods. I don't blame those who do hunt them. As I said they serve a purpose. It's just not my thing.

Now to our black bear problem. First off black bears are not aggressive. If you see one in the woods it is best to shout at it. Act like a human and they will almost always run, except.

If you have a mother with cubs. Back off! Hell hath not fury as a mother defending her cubs.

The other sitation is if they become used to humans. Like getting into our garbage. If they lose that "man fear" you have a dangerous animal. That's why you DON'T FEED THE BEARS!"

If memory serves me right, a couple of years ago a child was mauled by a black bear at Funspot. (Maybe not a child, I really don't remember the details) and an actual attack may not have happened. The bear got used to getting into the trash at Funspot and a Laconia police officer had to shoot it with his .

The point is that the bear got used to people and lost his (her) fear of man. They sort of get used to the smells, etc. It then went from a docile animal that is afraid of man to an aggressive animal that was dangerous.

We can place blame for the condition of the dumpster on the Bob House or maybe Wast Management but the fact remains that, as I understand the situation, there was a dangerous animal in close proximity to a great number of unsuspecting diners and visitors to the craft places that share the property.

My guess is that the unfortunate reality is that this bear had to go.

I am sorry for the bear.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
djj

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
djj:

I get the sence from your post(s) that you are a good person with a good heart. Most of the people that I know who do not "like" hunting are not eco-terrorists but, like yourself, caring people. Oddly enough most of these people spend very little time in the woods studying them.

Hunters are a very important part of the state's plan to maintain good healthy herds. No matter what species, Deer, bear, turkey, etc. The hunters are the one thing that the scientists can control. The NH Fish and are experts and can predict how many animals are taken (male and female) in an area and how to control the licensing to maintain a healthy herd. I do hunt but not bear. I don't really enjoy the meat and they serve a better purpose to me personally being alive doing their thing in the woods. I don't blame those who do hunt them. As I said they serve a purpose. It's just not my thing.

Now to our black bear problem. First off black bears are not aggressive. If you see one in the woods it is best to shout at it. Act like a human and they will almost always run, except.

If you have a mother with cubs. Back off! Hell hath not fury as a mother defending her cubs.

The other sitation is if they become used to humans. Like getting into our garbage. If they lose that "man fear" you have a dangerous animal. That's why you DON'T FEED THE BEARS!"

If memory serves me right, a couple of years ago a child was mauled by a black bear at Funspot. (Maybe not a child, I really don't remember the details) and an actual attack may not have happened. The bear got used to getting into the trash at Funspot and a Laconia police officer had to shoot it with his .

The point is that the bear got used to people and lost his (her) fear of man. They sort of get used to the smells, etc. It then went from a docile animal that is afraid of man to an aggressive animal that was dangerous.

We can place blame for the condition of the dumpster on the Bob House or maybe Wast Management but the fact remains that, as I understand the situation, there was a dangerous animal in close proximity to a great number of unsuspecting diners and visitors to the craft places that share the property.

My guess is that the unfortunate reality is that this bear had to go.

I am sorry for the bear.

Misty Blue
I agree with most everything you stated. Well, that is except the first part about the kind of person I am. I am not that good of a person and sometimes I can be a bit heartless.

I guess my feeling is that I wish the owners of the Bob House had handled the situation differently. From my understanding they have owned several restaurants in this state and I think they should know better. It must be stated that they didn't seem to mind putting their patrons in danger by using an inadequate dumpster. In fact I believe they are still using the same kind of dumpster and there is another bear visiting. Hopefully they will change it before they feel that they have to kill this one.

I know the woman who owns "the craft shops" which shares the property is quite upset by what the owners of the Bob House have done.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
djj

Smile No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Not being sure why you are against hunting, particularly since you see in many cases a purpose to hunting. Is there any way I can make you feel more comfortable with the notion of hunting? I appreciate your statement that there is a right to hunt, but it does go much further than just a right. It is who we are as a species.
There is no way you can make me feel more comfortable with hunting. But I am not here to argue about hunting or any persons legal right or biological need to do so.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #25
dpg

Quote:
Topwater - I've hunted in my days also and no I AM NOT a tree hugger but this bear could of in fact been illegally shot. I wonder how this "neighbor" shot this bear. Meaning did he/she sit behind the restaurant after hours or early morning stalking it? If so they maybe shot a firearm (or bow) across pavement or worse yet a paved road - ILLEGAL!!! Oh, and I'm sure it was shot after sun up and before dusk, right??? Bear hunting has been around for many years longer than we have been around you're right. Keep one thing in mind bears have also been satisfying one need since their existance and that's eating. I've hunted (and shot) a few deer in my days also but I do not bait them or even hang out 50 ft. from a known food source waiting for a sure kill. I do not consider sitting on the edge of an apple orchard "baiting" an animal, baby-sitting a dumpster in my opinion is. People who "hunt" by attracting or baiting an animal towards them in any way are in my opinion scum bags.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default I agree, I'm confused too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I'm confused... which season is it? Bears? Illegal aliens? or Tree Huggers?
I know, as of tomorrow, "Tourist Season" is over, so we have to stop shooting them.
But, can we get an extension for Leaf Peepers that drive really slow?

Just kidding folks, please no nasty replies.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
Argie's Wife

Oh, thank God tourist season is over tomorrow.

I think I've bagged my limit this year after driving for 15 miles behind someone with FL plates, while his left blinker was flashing and then he made a right turn. Then there's the folks who stop on a dime to turn into a "scenic view" area or a gas station. My very favorite are the ones that stop pedestrians from their cars so they can ask directions AND stop traffic at the same time because they won't pull into the breakdown lane or side of the road.

Give me a quiet season or two before they come back. I will fully welcome them and their wallets to our lovely corner of the globe.

In the mean time, I think I prefer the bears. At least they hibernate when they aren't getting their "take out".
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #28
Pineedles

Default No arguement

Quote:
There is no way you can make me feel more comfortable with hunting. But I am not here to argue about hunting or any persons legal right or biological need to do so.
I wasn't trying to argue with you, I just thought given your level of knowledge about hunting serving a purpose, you might be open to sharing what your objections to hunting were. But if you don't want to express your misgivings regarding hunting, that's Ok.

Afterall, you started this thread to express your opinion of the Bob House owner's lack of values and principles, and I guess not to debate the merits of hunting.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
sa meredith

Default it would seem

So, what have we learned during summer/fall 2009?
Let's see...
1.The Bob House hates kids, and dumps pepper on their food.
2. Their lobster roll is the best ever created, and priced correctly.
3. Although the food is always quite good, the service sometimes is less than par.
4. They enjoy providing a nice dining area for bears, only to trick the unsuspecting rascals, as they hire their neighbor to pump them full of lead.

Whatever...I've been twice, and loved it both times.
I'm sure they are more than thrilled about all the attention given them on this forum this season. Certainly competing with Lobster Pound 2008 material. Good fun!

Is it at all possible that they felt the bears were creating a safety issue for employees/customers, so acted as they did?
I am as big of an animal lover as their is, but find myself having a hard time getting worked up about this.
Did they handle it the best way possible (assuming everything stated here is accurate, by the way) ? Maybe yes, maybe no. But do I think their was evil intent on I their part???? Of course not.
What time is the Sox game tonight? Ouch!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Ouch Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
What time is the Sox game tonight? Ouch!
Sox aren't on tonight. Next game will be:

April 5, 2010
7.05 PM
Vs. NYY
Fenway Park

I Know! But I'm in mourning...

Now back to you're regularly scheduled thread...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Did they handle it the best way possible (assuming everything stated here is accurate, by the way) ? Maybe yes, maybe no. But do I think their was evil intent on I their part???? Of course not.

I don't believe that there was any evil intent on their part either. What I really hope is that the owners of the Bob House got some good Bear proof containers so that this won't happen again (or will help it from happening again).
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #32
djj

Quote:
Is it at all possible that they felt the bears were creating a safety issue for employees/customers, so acted as they did?
They opened in July. The bear was visiting from the beginning. They shot the bear in September. That's 2 months of creating a safety issue for employees/customers. If they were so concerned about the safety of customers, employees, or themselves, then why keep a bear friendly dumpster for so long?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
sa meredith

Default ?

Quote:
They opened in July. The bear was visiting from the beginning. They shot the bear in September. That's 2 months of creating a safety issue for employees/customers. If they were so concerned about the safety of customers, employees, or themselves, then why keep a bear friendly dumpster for so long?
Did you see the part where I wrote "Is it possible..." as in, a question? Stay calm. It's all good. Really.
You seem very attached to this situation. Not wanting to give these people even ONE INCH.
And you are very quick to shoot down every single post that gives these people the benefit of the doubt.
Almost like it is very important to you that everyone hate these people and stay away from their place. How close to this are you?
We (or at least I) understand what you posted, and I stated what I thought. That's all. But if it makes you feel better...I hate them and will set up a picket line this weekend. That'll learn 'em!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #34
Argie's Wife

Once bears find food somewhere, like a dumpster, your back yard bird feeders, or your bee hives, they will return time and time again to check those same spots. Even if you've moved the food.

Perhaps the owners were waiting for bear season because they couldn't really "move" the food and felt it was best to just remove the problem (the bear).

But all this is speculation.

Why doesn't someone just call them and ask? What a novel idea. It would make for a short thread with far less drama.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #35
BGB2

Default Bear Video

I'm sure this isn't the same bear, but the video gives you an appreciation of how aggressive bears can be when food is envolved. This is a serious issue.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=3331192
BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #36
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB2 View Post
I'm sure this isn't the same bear, but the video gives you an appreciation of how aggressive bears can be when food is envolved. This is a serious issue.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=3331192
Now that was funny.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #37
Pineedles

Default Will they kill again?

Are you concerned with the bears or the customers/employees? Or both? You really need to tell us more.

Do you own or are you affiliated with the rubbish removal company? And if you are, are you upset at the owners for not buying an upgraded rubbish container?

What do you see as a fair resolution to this situation? How can we help resolve this situation for you? Do you want one of us to call the owners and suggest an upgraded rubbish bin as Argie's Wife suggested?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #38
SAMIAM

Just my opinion.....I'm not knocking anyone. First of all,I don't understand why anyone would hunt a bear except for bragging rights.They are related to the dog family and their meat is tough,stringy and greasy.
As far as safety is concerned,no one in NH has ever been killed or badly injured by a black bear that I know of.They are afraid of people unless cornered with cubs.They will run away at any oportunity.....we have had customers taking pictures right next to bears that were rolling on the ground around our dumpster.
I'm a gun owner and have no issue with my many friends that hunt for food.
Last thought.....if you want to be a great white hunter,go in the woods like a man......don't ambush a hungry bear beside a dumpster!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
OFD232

Default Bear shoot

Personally this is another reason I support the right to arm Bears,
Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I know, as of tomorrow, "Tourist Season" is over, so we have to stop shooting them.
Whew ... I feel better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
But, can we get an extension for Leaf Peepers that drive really slow?
YES

Now the real question(s):
Can we expect Bear Steak on the Bob House menu now?
Is there going to be a bear skin rug on the floor of the Bob House?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #41
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
.........Last thought.....if you want to be a great white hunter,go in the woods like a man......don't ambush a hungry bear beside a dumpster!
That would also be illegal seeing that most dumpsters are located within 300 feet of the building that they service.

Additionally:
This bear would have been put down eventually. It is all to common for people to allow an animal access to food within close proximity to themselves for their own enjoyment, then as the animal becomes more aggressive and starts looking for fresher food the looky-loo's all of a sudden do not think it is neat to see an animal that close.

No way of knowing if the situation of the shooting went down exactly as described, but sounds unlikely that it would have been shot within any proximity of buildings or out of season as a report for illegal harvest of an animal would be on file with fish and game, unless THEY handled the removal.

P.S. I know all of us hunters are just ignorant cowboys that go shooting the place up whenever we get a chance to fire a weapon at an animal, but there are severe penalties for violating any of this states hunting laws or regulations.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Bear Resistant Dumpsters

Quote:
In fact I believe they are still using the same kind of dumpster and there is another bear visiting. Hopefully they will change it before they feel that they have to kill this one.
It is very unfortunate that the bear had to be disposed of, but safety in a populated area is of utmost importance.

If The Bob House has not changed to a bear resistant dumpster and is setting up the exact same scenario with another bear, then that is just wrong. Has anyone contacted The Bob House to ask?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #43
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Last thought.....if you want to be a great white hunter,go in the woods like a man......don't ambush a hungry bear beside a dumpster!
Very, very, very well said!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #44
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Now the real question(s):
Can we expect Bear Steak on the Bob House menu now?
I am shocked...SHOCKED!...

...that it took 40 post to find one that addressed the first thing that popped into my head.

That said, bearmeat would be a welcome change - now that locally-available tourist is no longer in season. (A little too gamey for my delicate pallette, anyhoo).
Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #45
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
I am shocked...SHOCKED!...

...that it took 40 post to find one that addressed the first thing that popped into my head.

That said, bearmeat would be a welcome change - now that locally-available tourist is no longer in season. (A little too gamey for my delicate pallette, anyhoo).
Maybe they're using it for a filler in their lobster rolls....
Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #46
Newbiesaukee

That thought is too much to bear.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #47
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
That thought is too much to bear.
I didn't know our climate could sustain pun-da bears.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #48
SIKSUKR

Default Important question

How do know that the owners of the Bobhouse had this bear killed? This needs to be addressed before the bashing continues.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #49
Pineedles

Ah, some sanity has filtered its way into this thread.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #50
ARV

Quote:
Instead of ordering a dumpster with heavy metal lids to replace the bear friendly plastic lidded one they currently use, they decided to have a neighbor from across the street shoot the bear.
I believe that says enough that someone knows the bear was shot.
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #51
djj

Red face Hugs!

Quote:
Did you see the part where I wrote "Is it possible..." as in, a question? Stay calm. It's all good. Really.
You seem very attached to this situation. Not wanting to give these people even ONE INCH.
And you are very quick to shoot down every single post that gives these people the benefit of the doubt.
Almost like it is very important to you that everyone hate these people and stay away from their place. How close to this are you?
We (or at least I) understand what you posted, and I stated what I thought. That's all. But if it makes you feel better...I hate them and will set up a picket line this weekend. That'll learn 'em!
I thought I was merely responding to your question. I am sorry if you thought I was not calm in my response! Next time I will try to include some soothing music, a bubble bath, and a back rub with my post if that will make a difference.

Actually I have not shot down every single post that gives these people the benefit of the doubt. If you read you will see where I do agree with some points made.

Also, if you read back to some of my earlier posts you will see that I have clearly stated that I am trying to appeal to like minded people who may find this information helpful in deciding whether or not they would like to support this business. HATE is a strong word and I am not preaching it. I am just stating MY OPINION and people can make up their own minds.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #52
djj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
How do know that the owners of the Bobhouse had this bear killed? This needs to be addressed before the bashing continues.
Two very reliable sources close to the situation. The owner herself told both sources she was planning on doing this. One of the sources contacted the police when they and several other witnesses saw a man walking around the property with a gun. The police referred this source to Fish and Game. I do not know all the details of what happened with Fish and Game, but do know that phone calls were not returned. The owner recently told one of the sources that the bear had been shot. The second source confronted the owner and the owner confirmed to the second source that it had been done.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #53
djj

Default My point is...

I don't know the exact date of the shooting and am not sure of the exact location of the shooting. I don't know if it was within a certain number of feet of surrounding buildings or the dumpster in question. According to my sources it was either done on the property itself or one of the abutting properties. My sources tried to get more details, but everybody involved seems to be keeping hush about the details of the situation.

Again, all of this really has nothing to do with my original post. I don't care of the legality nor the procedures followed. I just wish they had tried replacing the dumpster before offing the bear.

By the way, I DO NOT work for the dumpster company or any waste management company.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #54
Pineedles

Quote:
By the way, I DO NOT work for the dumpster company or any waste management company.
Thank you for answering my question.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #55
jmen24

Quote:
Again, all of this really has nothing to do with my original post. I don't care of the legality nor the procedures followed. I just wish they had tried replacing the dumpster before offing the bear.
Because it would have found another dumpster to dive in. Most animal lovers that say do not shoot the animals because it is a violation of their rights, fail to realize that the following is fact:

If a wild animal becomes attached to human food and human scent and human sounds, it has lost is wild instincts and is a danger to the general public and will eventually get shot, removed or hit by a car or maul a kid or any number of other things that you can think of.

Allowing the bear access to the dumpster in the beginning was wrong and caused this situation in the first place, I have read your posts and I understand that this has been your feeling all along, that they should have replaced the dumpster after they noticed the bear entering it, but they did not, and this happens all the time, it does not make it right. Animals that are as bullheaded as bears will always find a way for an easy meal whether it is from the Bobhouse dumpster, or their neighbors feeders or the list goes on.

The reason fish and game is not responding to the phone calls is because this is not a new thing. It happens all the time, mostly it is a once and a while thing. It is equivilent to your neighbor calling the police everytime you go to the mail box. Most people do not realize that they should not call fish and game headquarters for a situation like this, but they should call the CO that is in charge of that sector of the state. Fish and Game has many more important things to do than to respond to a call from an animal lover to hear them jump up and down about how terrible these people are and what they are putting this bear through.

Do not let your views fuel your emotion toward this situation. Try writing them a nice friendly letter and ask them to upgrade their dumpster before this situation presents itself again, because it will. Coming on an open forum and saying that we should not patronize a business is not the way to handle it. Move on and try to prevent the next case from happening.

Life is like paddling a canoe down river. Concentrate on the rocks ahead not the rocks you have past.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #56
djj

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Do not let your views fuel your emotion toward this situation. Try writing them a nice friendly letter and ask them to upgrade their dumpster before this situation presents itself again, because it will. Coming on an open forum and saying that we should not patronize a business is not the way to handle it. Move on and try to prevent the next case from happening.
Thank you! Maybe you are right. Perhaps I should be handling the situation differently. I have been pondering the idea of approaching the owners directly to express my views. I haven't quite determined whether I will or will not do this or how I would go about it if I do.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #57
chipj29

Quote:
Thank you! Maybe you are right. Perhaps I should be handling the situation differently. I have been pondering the idea of approaching the owners directly to express my views. I haven't quite determined whether I will or will not do this or how I would go about it if I do.
Maybe it would be best if you went to the owners and asked them what happened. That way you can form your opinion based on what actually happened, as opposed to what you heard had happened.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #58
NoRegrets

Default Potential of a Law-suit

What would have happened if the bear was in the dumpster feeding zone and a patrons child ran to it and something bad happened? If anyone found out that the establishment knew of the "wild-life" and potential encounter how big would the law suit be?

I do not think the establishment would stay in business.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #59
RI Swamp Yankee

hmmm.... another thought.. a tripple B sandwich

Bobhouse Bear Burgers
Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #60
breathe easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
What would have happened if the bear was in the dumpster feeding zone and a patrons child ran to it and something bad happened? If anyone found out that the establishment knew of the "wild-life" and potential encounter how big would the law suit be?

I do not think the establishment would stay in business.
The last fatal bear attack in NH occurred in 1784.
Just in case though,the patrons should probably keep a closer eye on their child and keep him or her away from the dumpster.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #61
Pineedles

Default Figures lie and liars figure

And when was the last disfiguring mauling?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #62
NoBozo

"Black Bears are TOTALLY Harmless". .......... Okey Dokey: I think there was a case VERY recently (Like last week) a little south of NH where a women who LOVED Bears, and had one for a PET got Mauled to Death by her very own bear. OH Well. She also had a Bengal Tiger as a pet...so I guess she had enough experience with wild animals......NO..??

It's Just SAD. The animals just Don't Understand how much we humans care for them. *** NB

PS:*** We need a SAD Emoticon.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #63
EricP

I'm disgusted by the fact that their first response to the situiation was to kill the bear rather than upgrade the dumpster. I could care less about what is legal or not in this situation. They were originally amused by the bear then when it suddenly became a problem by making a mess kill it? Outrageous, simply outrageous! Don't try to actually solve the problem, just kill it. There is no excuse for that type of behavior.

I'll never step foot through the doors of that place.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #64
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"Black Bears are TOTALLY Harmless". .......... Okey Dokey: I think there was a case VERY recently (Like last week) a little south of NH where a women who LOVED Bears, and had one for a PET got Mauled to Death by her very own bear. OH Well. She also had a Bengal Tiger as a pet...so I guess she had enough experience with wild animals......NO..??

It's Just SAD. The animals just Don't Understand how much we humans care for them. *** NB

PS:*** We need a SAD Emoticon.
I find it very strange more people get mauled and attacked by Pit Bulls ( yes, pet dogs ) than by Bears. Don't you??
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #65
NoRegrets

I know there is a problem in New Jersey with over population of Black Bears (no hunting allowed) and there have been several attacks on people. Here are 2 articles inferring a trend of aggressiveness towards humans is on the rise.
One is from an official from the state of NJ and the other has a larger national perspective.
http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulleti...larmingly.html
http://www.bachbio.com/njbears.htm

Even though there are more pit bull attacks than bear attacks I do not want to be the victim of either!!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #66
SAMIAM

Don't mean to get morbid,but you're in more danger in a city park than you are in the woods of NH .................................................. .................. http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #67
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I find it very strange more people get mauled and attacked by Pit Bulls ( yes, pet dogs ) than by Bears. Don't you??
Well if you compare the number of pet bulls kept as pets compared to the number of black bears as pets the math isn't that hard to figure out...

As far as the moron that had a black bear as a PET and got mauled by it, the bear did not belong as a pet in the first place. I hate to say she got what she deserved, but sometimes you shouldn't mess with nature.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #68
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Well if you compare the number of pet bulls kept as pets compared to the number of black bears as pets the math isn't that hard to figure out...

As far as the moron that had a black bear as a PET and got mauled by it, the bear did not belong as a pet in the first place. I hate to say she got what she deserved, but sometimes you shouldn't mess with nature.
I don't believe pet vs. pet is a reasonable comparsion in this situation. I believe the number of Pit Bulls vs. Bears in general is more like it. There are plenty of Bears out there in and around people daily. Bears will not attack seemingly just for the hell of it, Pit Bulls will. I'm sure they have their reasons but in most cases its where another dog wouldn't even think of it.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #69
Rose

Quote:
Bears will not attack seemingly just for the hell of it, Pit Bulls will. I'm sure they have their reasons but in most cases its where another dog wouldn't even think of it.
Pit Bulls, and other "bully breeds," are frequently trained to be aggressive because of their physical composition, which makes them extremely powerful. But properly trained, they make excellent pets. Just ask Cesar Milan (aka the Dog Whisperer) who uses a Pit Bull named Daddy to influence other dogs to be calm-submissive, and the folks at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, who are retraining 22 of Michael Vick's dogs (they call them the Vicktory dogs).

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/packpr.../dpc_daddy.php

http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom.../pit_bulls.cfm
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #70
Pineedles

Default Not a bad dog but...

Unfortunately most people can't afford Cesar Milan's training, and most Pit Bull owners don't train the aggressiveness out of their Pit Bulls. I love dogs, but I am afraid of pit bulls and don't treat them with the openness I do with most breeds.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #71
Bigstan

Default Russian Ice-Skating Bear Kills His Trainer

I guess bears don't like winter sports.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569101,00.html
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #72
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Pit Bulls, and other "bully breeds," are frequently trained to be aggressive because of their physical composition, which makes them extremely powerful. But properly trained, they make excellent pets. Just ask Cesar Milan (aka the Dog Whisperer) who uses a Pit Bull named Daddy to influence other dogs to be calm-submissive, and the folks at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, who are retraining 22 of Michael Vick's dogs (they call them the Vicktory dogs).

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/packpr.../dpc_daddy.php

http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom.../pit_bulls.cfm
Rose: Would YOU adpot one of Vicks dogs? Not to say whether you like the breed or are even looking to adpot. Just the fact that it's a Pit Bull and was once in the fighting ring.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #73
Rose

Default Cherry

Quote:
Rose: Would YOU adpot one of Vicks dogs? Not to say whether you like the breed or are even looking to adpot. Just the fact that it's a Pit Bull and was once in the fighting ring.
If it were possible, I would have liked to adopt Cherry. But I'm glad he's found a good, and hopefully forever, home.

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cf...e+Vicktory+Dog
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote