Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
AllAbourdon

Default General Aviation

Just curious how many forum members fly. Some of the members are pretty obvious.

I am considering getting my private pilot license this upcoming year. I've grown up at the airports since my father is a CFI and was a part135 operator when I was growing up.

Seems like general aviation has changed a lot over the years, wondering if I can afford 2 expensive hobbies.
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

I am also considering the same! I live on the other side of the pond from the Mboro Airport and love seeing the planes coming over low and slow.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
AllAbourdon

If you can be satisfied with the light sport aircraft license that is a good way to go also.

Less time and therefore also less expensive to get the endorsement. Also, no IFR and restrictions on the type of aircraft (weight)

Issue for me is that I am a pretty big dude, 6'2" and 250lbs so most of the aircraft that qualify for a light sport aircraft I would be over the useful load with a passenger.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbourdon View Post
If you can be satisfied with the light sport aircraft license that is a good way to go also.

Less time and therefore also less expensive to get the endorsement. Also, no IFR and restrictions on the type of aircraft (weight)

Issue for me is that I am a pretty big dude, 6'2" and 250lbs so most of the aircraft that qualify for a light sport aircraft I would be over the useful load with a passenger.
A couple of friends have a hangar over at the Airport. They have one of those there I could probably learn on. I will get some info on it, as I recall it needed a bit of love.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
hancoveguy

this topic is very interesting. Took a few lessons in my late teens but it was too expensive. Could someone elaborate on this light sport license thing? And also if anyone knows the current rates (including estimated totals for the license) that would be helpful.

Do they give lessons at M Boro airport?

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Lakegeezer

Got my private license in 76 and have about 200 hours in the log book, mostly in Cessnas and Pipers. My last medical cert expired in 1988 (shortly after meeting my wife), but I can still play a mean flight simulator. Its probably best that I gave it up, as there were too many close calls, too many stories to tell. There is nothing like sport flying though. Its similar to the freedom of boating, but in 3D, and the speed limit is 180 (at Cessna altitudes). On my bucket list is to get back into it, over at the M'boro airport.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
lawn psycho

Looks fun but of the two close friends I have that have their PPLs, both hardly fly due to the expense. Several years ago one of them rented a plane out of the Portland Jetport and he fly us to Sanford where we ate hamburgers and fly back during a long lunch.

We all chipped in for the rental and it came out to around $100 and we refer to it as the $100 hamburger. Was fun thought, much different perspective flying in the small plane than in the commerical aircraft.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
wifi

Anyone know of someone with a private helicopter in the Moultonboro area?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
AllAbourdon

Default Sport Pilot vs Private Pilot

Comparison can be found on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_c...es#Sport_pilot

With the light sport you only need about half the time and also you dont need a medical if you have a valid drivers license.

You can't fail a medical and then go sport pilot though.

The cost can be prohibitive for flying. Aircraft are expensive, especially if you want something that you can actually travel in and get somewhere.

Avgas is expensive, insurance is expensive, tiedown, maintenance, annual inspections, etc etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Lakepilot

Learned to fly many years ago at Moultonboro. Currently have 2500 hours and have owned two airplanes. Have flown them to Washington State, So Cal. Southern Bahamas and to Canada. Flying is as safe as you want it to be. Most accidents are caused by error pilot. Flying is very unforgiving of risk taking.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
ITD

Best place to start investigating flying: http://www.aopa.org/

For the private pilot license you need a least a 3rd class faa medical that you get from designated examiners. You need to be in good health with no cardiac issues or other issues otherwise you will need to get a special issuance. Some people can't pass the requirements and aren't given a medical. Plus the obvious training, estimated costs can be found on the AOPA website.

The light sport license restricts you to a light aircraft and VFR only but only requires you to self certify to fly IF you haven't been denied a medical by the FAA.

As lake pilot said, flying is as safe as you make it. There is more risk to flying than driving, but a big part of being a good pilot is managing and minimizing those risks.

I used to fly and hope to get back into it some day, we'll see. Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Ironfish

Quote:
J I am considering getting my private pilot license this upcoming year.

Seems like general aviation has changed a lot over the years, wondering if I can afford 2 expensive hobbies.
I am a pilot that flies out of Laconia Airport. I can tell you that getting my pilots license was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and flying is now my favorite hobby. Like anything, there are positives and negatives to getting a pilot's license. I could write a book on the pros/cons, but here's a quick list to get you started:

Pros:

1. The Obvious: It makes getting places faster. Nantucket in about an hour? NYC in about an hour and a half? Niagara Falls in a couple of hours? It sure is nice to get to those places without killing the day traveling.

2. It is exhilarating. The scenery can be wonderful, and the ability to manipulate a vehicle in 3 dimensions is surreal, and an experience that most people will never get to experience.

3. It is intellectual. I found that learning to fly is a never ending experience. The day you get you pilot's license, you are like a kid on a tricycle ... you can ride a bike, but you're a long way from driving a Harley. I personally enjoyed learning as much as I could about flying, so that I could become more proficient, and make better use of my pilot's license.

Cons:

1. It is expensive: First, to get your license, expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $7,000, including plane rental, instructor time, and the invariable little pilot accessories that you'll end up buying at www.sportys.com . After you have your license, the only way to use it is to either rent a plane, or buy a plane. Either way, expect to spend about $125 +/- per flying hour for a basic, older, Cessna type plane.

2. Training Time: You need some time on your hands to get your license. I believe most people average about 50 hours of flying time. The legal minimum is 40 hours. Also expect about an hour of book/classroom time for each hour of flying time. I did my entire pilot training in about two months. I found that doing more intensive training helped me to remember things from one lesson to the next. Some (if not most) people take a much longer time, and therefore probably have to spend some "extra" hours getting refreshed on what they learned during previous lessons.

3. Proficiency: I could easily call this section a "positive". Once you get your pilot's license, you need to fly enough to keep proficient. For the "nice weather only" type pilot, that might mean flying a minimum of 30 or 40 hours per year. For an "instrument rated" pilot (who can fly in clouds), I think it takes more to stay proficient. I am an instrument rated pilot, and I fly about 150 hours per year, which I feel is sufficient to keep me current in a somewhat complex multi-engine airplane.

4. A Mission: I think that most pilots need a "reason" to keep proficient, so they need a "reason" to fly fairly often. I make good business use of my plane, and that is the majority of my 150 hours. If you don't have a business reason to fly, I think you have to have a place that you and your friends/family go fairly often, like a 2nd home, or some other common travel destination. Of course, there are some people who enjoy the act of flying so much, that they just go off on weekends and "find a place to go", purely for the enjoyment of the flight. Either way, you've got to be thinking that you'll find a way to get in the air at least every couple of weeks, on average. If you can't/won't do that, I think you'll just let your pilots skills fall by the wayside, you won't be able to justify the expense, and you'll stop flying.

5. Plane Availability: There are some pilots that always rent a plane. However, that entails making sure the plane is available, and often precludes taking the plane for an extended period of time. I think that most pilots, that fly enough to stay proficient, find a way to get access to a plane that is more readily available, either through personal ownership or shared ownership. Plane ownership can be more economical than renting if you fly often. If you get into more complex planes, the sky is the limit in terms of cost. It is not uncommon for owners of complex planes to spend $50,000 to $100,000 per year to feed their hobby. Jet jockeys can spend millions per year.

6. Sport Pilot: There is a fairly new pilot license category called "Sport Pilot". In theory, you can get a license in half the time. In my opinion, there is no way that you can be a capable pilot in half the time. You certainly won't be "travel ready" in 20 hours. Also, the Sport Pilot certificate is limited to very small aircraft, with minimal load carrying capabilities. Again, the aircraft is not a travel machine. One advantage to the Sport Pilot certificate is that you do not need a medical certificate. For some people, who might take anti-depressants, or have other relatively minor, but disqualifying, ailments, the Sport Pilot certificate is the only way to get in the air. In my opinion, the Sport Pilot certificate is best suited to those few people who can't get a medical certificate, but love to fly so much, that they fit into the category of those who "just find a place to fly" on weekends. The Sport Pilot certificate is not, in my opinion, a good shortcut to flying a travel machine.

7. Convenience: Private planes are not as reliable as your car, or as commercial airlines. First, they have a lot more mechanical problems than what you would experience with your car. Second, private airplanes are much more susceptible to weather related travel cancellation. I can't tell you how often I say, "I'll have to drive", when I would have preferred to use my plane. Sometimes a plane is VERY convenient. However, when you flew to NYC on Saturday, and you can't fly back on Sunday because of weather, it sure is a pain in the butt.

My recommendation. Spend $100 +/- and go take an introductory flying lesson. I'd recommend that to anyone, even if you don't think you'll want to be a pilot. Even if you don't end up taking lessons, I'll bet it's one of the best $100 you will ever spend. After the flying lesson, if you think you can afford it, and you have the time to invest, take some more lessons. If you get bit by "the bug" (like I did) you'll have done one of the most self rewarding things you will ever do in your life.

Happy flying.
Ironfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironfish For This Useful Post:
AllAbourdon (01-05-2011), chipj29 (01-05-2011), hancoveguy (01-07-2011), RLW (01-05-2011), VitaBene (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfish View Post
I am a pilot that flies out of Laconia Airport. I can tell you that getting my pilots license was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and flying is now my favorite hobby. Like anything, there are positives and negatives to getting a pilot's license. I could write a book on the pros/cons, but here's a quick list to get you started:

Pros:

1. The Obvious: It makes getting places faster. Nantucket in about an hour? NYC in about an hour and a half? Niagara Falls in a couple of hours? It sure is nice to get to those places without killing the day traveling.

2. It is exhilarating. The scenery can be wonderful, and the ability to manipulate a vehicle in 3 dimensions is surreal, and an experience that most people will never get to experience.

3. It is intellectual. I found that learning to fly is a never ending experience. The day you get you pilot's license, you are like a kid on a tricycle ... you can ride a bike, but you're a long way from driving a Harley. I personally enjoyed learning as much as I could about flying, so that I could become more proficient, and make better use of my pilot's license.

Cons:

1. It is expensive: First, to get your license, expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $7,000, including plane rental, instructor time, and the invariable little pilot accessories that you'll end up buying at www.sportys.com . After you have your license, the only way to use it is to either rent a plane, or buy a plane. Either way, expect to spend about $125 +/- per flying hour for a basic, older, Cessna type plane.

2. Training Time: You need some time on your hands to get your license. I believe most people average about 50 hours of flying time. The legal minimum is 40 hours. Also expect about an hour of book/classroom time for each hour of flying time. I did my entire pilot training in about two months. I found that doing more intensive training helped me to remember things from one lesson to the next. Some (if not most) people take a much longer time, and therefore probably have to spend some "extra" hours getting refreshed on what they learned during previous lessons.

3. Proficiency: I could easily call this section a "positive". Once you get your pilot's license, you need to fly enough to keep proficient. For the "nice weather only" type pilot, that might mean flying a minimum of 30 or 40 hours per year. For an "instrument rated" pilot (who can fly in clouds), I think it takes more to stay proficient. I am an instrument rated pilot, and I fly about 150 hours per year, which I feel is sufficient to keep me current in a somewhat complex multi-engine airplane.

4. A Mission: I think that most pilots need a "reason" to keep proficient, so they need a "reason" to fly fairly often. I make good business use of my plane, and that is the majority of my 150 hours. If you don't have a business reason to fly, I think you have to have a place that you and your friends/family go fairly often, like a 2nd home, or some other common travel destination. Of course, there are some people who enjoy the act of flying so much, that they just go off on weekends and "find a place to go", purely for the enjoyment of the flight. Either way, you've got to be thinking that you'll find a way to get in the air at least every couple of weeks, on average. If you can't/won't do that, I think you'll just let your pilots skills fall by the wayside, you won't be able to justify the expense, and you'll stop flying.

5. Plane Availability: There are some pilots that always rent a plane. However, that entails making sure the plane is available, and often precludes taking the plane for an extended period of time. I think that most pilots, that fly enough to stay proficient, find a way to get access to a plane that is more readily available, either through personal ownership or shared ownership. Plane ownership can be more economical than renting if you fly often. If you get into more complex planes, the sky is the limit in terms of cost. It is not uncommon for owners of complex planes to spend $50,000 to $100,000 per year to feed their hobby. Jet jockeys can spend millions per year.

6. Sport Pilot: There is a fairly new pilot license category called "Sport Pilot". In theory, you can get a license in half the time. In my opinion, there is no way that you can be a capable pilot in half the time. You certainly won't be "travel ready" in 20 hours. Also, the Sport Pilot certificate is limited to very small aircraft, with minimal load carrying capabilities. Again, the aircraft is not a travel machine. One advantage to the Sport Pilot certificate is that you do not need a medical certificate. For some people, who might take anti-depressants, or have other relatively minor, but disqualifying, ailments, the Sport Pilot certificate is the only way to get in the air. In my opinion, the Sport Pilot certificate is best suited to those few people who can't get a medical certificate, but love to fly so much, that they fit into the category of those who "just find a place to fly" on weekends. The Sport Pilot certificate is not, in my opinion, a good shortcut to flying a travel machine.

7. Convenience: Private planes are not as reliable as your car, or as commercial airlines. First, they have a lot more mechanical problems than what you would experience with your car. Second, private airplanes are much more susceptible to weather related travel cancellation. I can't tell you how often I say, "I'll have to drive", when I would have preferred to use my plane. Sometimes a plane is VERY convenient. However, when you flew to NYC on Saturday, and you can't fly back on Sunday because of weather, it sure is a pain in the butt.

My recommendation. Spend $100 +/- and go take an introductory flying lesson. I'd recommend that to anyone, even if you don't think you'll want to be a pilot. Even if you don't end up taking lessons, I'll bet it's one of the best $100 you will ever spend. After the flying lesson, if you think you can afford it, and you have the time to invest, take some more lessons. If you get bit by "the bug" (like I did) you'll have done one of the most self rewarding things you will ever do in your life.

Happy flying.
I've been a Private Pilot since 1988. ALL of the above commentary is excellent and to the point, particularly concerning the Sport Pilot certificate.

Something else to consider: There are only so many airports around your home airport that you can fly to ...in say an hour or two that you might have available to fly, on any given day. Once you have flown to most of them there is no other place to go.

You can't pull over to the side of the road at a scenic rest stop to visit the rest room. You HAVE to find an airport. After I got my license I would take a Sunday drive in the car to various airports just to see if it would be worth the expense to fly there. (I always rented) Many small airports have only a runway and may not be attended..ie: there's nothing there. A FEW airports might have a lunch counter but it's not common.

Here's an example: My wife and I flew to Montauk Airport, Long Island one day for coffee. Most airports have a coffee pot in the airport building. I landed without checking my airport guide. FIRST: There was a Landing Fee....there was a Parking Fee...and NO Coffee Pot...and Nothing to see. We were told that if we took off in the next fifteen minutes, the parking fee would be waived. There was a coffee vending machine at a nearby marina.

It WAS fun though. Just rememberin.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
AllAbourdon

As a kid I spent a lot of time in the back seat of airplanes while my father gave scenics or was doing check rides for other pilots. My stomach got used to doing multiple stalls, go arounds, touch and go's etc.

I like the novelty of being able to take a day and fly somewhere. We used to fly to plum island but i think that place is closed now, also fly down to provincetown since you can walk to the beach from the airport there.

We also made some cross country trips which made me understand how impotant it is to have IFR equipped aircraft and certification when traveling. Its pretty easy to get stuck somewhere if the visibility is poor, etc.

I dont know if I can justify the expense of getting licensed if I am only going to fly occasionally and not be able to travel. Seems like if i am going to do it I should get IFR and Multi-Engine ratings.

My father still flys but rents now when we go somewhere for the day. If I could only somehow convince him to get a single engine time builder that we could share the cost of

He has become a bit more particular with what he would want to own now as far as being able to travel. The last airplane he had was a piper aztec which was great to travel in. He's had 150's, 172's, amphibians, etc over the years. He's been talking about a cherokee 6 which would be a great time builder and traveling plane with a solid payload capability.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Seeker

Hi AA, Plum Island is open again as far as I know although I haven't been there lately. If your dad gave check rides was he a CFI or DE? If so, and he can pass a second class medical then he should be able to update his CFI without much trouble. Of course the instuctor is the least expensive part of your training.
I like the idea of a Cherokee 6-300 as I have quite a few hours in one and it's one rugged a/c although it can burn some avgas.
I believe the main item to consider is the time you have available to devote to training and study. I hate to have a student come every two weeks or so and I have to go over everything he or she forgot since the last lesson. When I got my "license to learn" over 40 years ago I lived aviation 24/7 thanks to our Uncle Sam.
At least take an introductory lesson and see if you still like it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
AllAbourdon

He was chief pilot when he was part owner of a charter service, i think he needed a medical every 6 months not sure if that was class 1 or 2. I also know he's got a bunch of endorsements Multi, Tailwheel, amphib/float plane, CFI, multiengine Instructor, instrument instructor, etc etc.

Last flight i made with him was over the past summer in a 172rg to p-town and shortly before that a trip over to Jaffrey for lunch and ice-cream.

He was filling in as an instructor for some of the Daniel Webster students I believe within the last couple of years. I dont know if he is current now.

We used to live in Tewksbury, MA so I spent a lot of time at Tew-Mac in particular. There was a cherokee 6 out of there that my father flew quite a bit doing everything from scenic rides and skydivers to flying caskets with bodies in them out for a funeral. Reliable workhorse with capacity.

I always thought about getting my license without letting him know I was working on it and surprising him with it. But if theres an angle to save money while spending some quality time with pops that sounds really good to me. Right now he's got a grass strip in his front yard and an empty 40x40 airplane hangar.

It would sure cut down on my commute to be able to fly up to the lake right from Hampton Airfield!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
rdant

Default You got to want it!

One can come up with all the excuses in the world not to fly, but if you really want it, it's just about the coolest darn thing you can ever do. But, you've got to really have the "bug" in order to push yourself through all the challenges (training, expenses, etc).

I've been to so many places and met so many people I never would have had it not been for flying. That includes flying to New Hampshire and meeting you nice folks , and experiencing the ice runway, something so unique that few people in this world get a chance to experience.

Anyway, another suggestion: If you can get multiple people to buy a plane, or you can buy a piece of someone's plane, it can offer significant cost savings. And already mentioned, circumstances often limit one person from making good use of an airplane. Two or three partners is ideal. If you can't find an existing partnership, then it never hurts to just start asking pilots at the local airport if someone might be interested in selling a piece of their airplane.

Good luck.
rdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Winni-Retired

Default But it seems like only yesterday

Wow, all this talk about flying brings back memories of my youth and the days without joint pain and not being able to pass the FAA physical.

I learned to fly at age 15 and soloed in a Piper Colt, PA106, out of North Central Airport in Rhode Island, back in 1962, on my 16th birthday. I had to peddle my bicycle or thumb a ride from Pawtucket, RI to North Central Airport in Smithfield, RI. I soloed with a bit under six hours of instructions. My instructor, Dick Burke, later went on to be the corporate pilot for AT Cross, the pen company, at one point. I had a bit over 43 hours when I took the test for my private license. It was very common, as a senior in high school to pass on the drive-in and take the date flying.

My flying buddy from high school went on to fly Huey’s in Nam and survive losing two of them to ground fire. He now lives in LA and fly’s a new Ranger for an off shore oil company (not BP according to him). I could not fly in the military because I wore glasses and that was not allowed in 1964 - 1966. Later on it did not matter, but it was not an option for me back then.

I did get to fly during my service days, but in the back of a Huey as a medic, but flying is flying. I must admit that I did get the opportunity, albeit not sanctioned by the military, to right seat it in our Huey, once the command pilot knew I had a civilian private license. He felt I would be the “life ring” if both of them up front were unable to “get us home or down” I continued to fly until I was about age 36 then the cost of adulthood and family, overcame the desire and I let everything expire.

I remember it cost $8.00 to rent a Cherokee 140 for an hour and $16.00 if you had an instructor. You could rent a Piper Cub or Colt for as little as 4.00 per hour, no instructor, way back in 1962 / 1963. Since I was making about 75 cents per hour working at Hasbro after school ………. That was a fortune to me… …………

I have it on my “bucket list” to go up again, fly solo one more time ………over the lake ………….and shoot a perfect cross wind, slip it in, landing…….then check it off my bucket list ……if only I could pass the FAA physical !!!!!!!!
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni-Retired View Post
Wow, all this talk about flying brings back memories of my youth and the days without joint pain and not being able to pass the FAA physical.

I learned to fly at age 15 and soloed in a Piper Colt, PA106, out of North Central Airport in Rhode Island, back in 1962, on my 16th birthday. I had to peddle my bicycle or thumb a ride from Pawtucket, RI to North Central Airport in Smithfield, RI. I soloed with a bit under six hours of instructions. My instructor, Dick Burke, later went on to be the corporate pilot for AT Cross, the pen company, at one point. I had a bit over 43 hours when I took the test for my private license. It was very common, as a senior in high school to pass on the drive-in and take the date flying.

My flying buddy from high school went on to fly Huey’s in Nam and survive losing two of them to ground fire. He now lives in LA and fly’s a new Ranger for an off shore oil company (not BP according to him). I could not fly in the military because I wore glasses and that was not allowed in 1964 - 1966. Later on it did not matter, but it was not an option for me back then.

I did get to fly during my service days, but in the back of a Huey as a medic, but flying is flying. I must admit that I did get the opportunity, albeit not sanctioned by the military, to right seat it in our Huey, once the command pilot knew I had a civilian private license. He felt I would be the “life ring” if both of them up front were unable to “get us home or down” I continued to fly until I was about age 36 then the cost of adulthood and family, overcame the desire and I let everything expire.

I remember it cost $8.00 to rent a Cherokee 140 for an hour and $16.00 if you had an instructor. You could rent a Piper Cub or Colt for as little as 4.00 per hour, no instructor, way back in 1962 / 1963. Since I was making about 75 cents per hour working at Hasbro after school ………. That was a fortune to me… …………

I have it on my “bucket list” to go up again, fly solo one more time ………over the lake ………….and shoot a perfect cross wind, slip it in, landing…….then check it off my bucket list ……if only I could pass the FAA physical !!!!!!!!
Great story and memories winni-retired!! Thanks for sharing! I hope you get your chance to go up again and fly solo!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
rdant

If I make it up to the Ice Runway again this year, I'll gladly offer some rides to anyone that needs a little motivation!
rdant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdant For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-06-2011), lawn psycho (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
NoBozo

Quote:

Did you happen to take your Check Ride with Mr.Gene Bulicki at North Central...? I took mine with him in June 1988. During the check ride I could see him out of the corner of my eye shaking his head as if to say..where the hell did you learn how to do that..? I think he did that to intimidate the prospective pilot to see how they would handle pressure. He complimented me on landing in Providence ....in a good crosswind. He had asked the tower for that runway on purpose. I hadn't expected to land in a big controlled airport on the check ride. NB
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
Winni-Retired

Default Sure Did

Now you know my comment about a cross wind landing.

They always made you do a checkride landing on the short runway .... it always seemed to have had that cross wind blowing from the southwest.

I soloed on 31-Dec-1962 and it was a cold, windy day... I remember it, clear as a bell. I was crabbing and slipping it all the way down and did a left wheel / right wheel / nose wheel landing ... only to be given the go around for the second touch and go of three landings. needless to say... it was a white nuckle solo experience.

Gene must have been in his late 70's when you had him. I remember he once made me do, wearing the hood, a right hand 720 over that island in the middle of the Situate resevoir and maintain a 50 ft up / down range in altitiude. He almost took my head off because I lost almost 100 feet.. yelling that I was trying to rip the wings off his aircraft.. I think they gave you 150 feet in either direction for the official check ride. He was hard, but you learned. I am not sure if he is still with us, but I am sure you know, he was the owner of North Central Airways .. back in the day.

One of my fondest flying memories of the lake was doing my 100 mile solo cross country from RI to Laconia and back. What was so cool about it was that I did not have a drivers license, but was still able to get to the lake. After checking in at Laconia for fuel and food, I did a complete fly over of the lake and headed home. I must admit I cheated a bit because on my way up, I used the Everett Turnpike on my left as a alternate map point and I turned right over Pike Ashpalt in Tilton ... now exit 20 .. (he had a small private strip) and headed towards Laconia.

What a pleasant day this has been for me today to recall great times and to remember the fun times flying out Laconia taking friends on sight seeing rides over the lake and up to North Conway.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
NoBozo

Quote:

Gene must have been in his late 70's when you had him. I remember he once made me do, wearing the hood, a right hand 720 over that island in the middle of the Situate resevoir and maintain a 50 ft up / down range in altitiude. He almost took my head off because I lost almost 100 feet.. yelling that I was trying to rip the wings off his aircraft.. I think they gave you 150 feet in either direction for the official check ride. He was hard, but you learned. I am not sure if he is still with us, but I am sure you know, he was the owner of North Central Airways .. back in the day.

What a pleasant day this has been for me today to recall great times and to remember the fun times flying out Laconia taking friends on sight seeing rides over the lake and up to North Conway.
YUP: I think Gene was probably around 70. He was still working a few years after. He was Famous. As far as I remember he was the Only FAA guy in the Rhode Island area. The check ride was $150. There was another FAA check pilot out of Taunton..younger ..who was much easier.

I had heard the stories about Gene and wanted a Challenge and went with Gene. What a hoot. I was under the hood....he took over....put the plane (C172) in a Freakin DIVE...and then calmly told me to FIX the problem. Just rememberin...

PS: For those not familiar..Under The Hood means you have a Mask over your head and can NOT see outside the airplane..you MUST rely on your seat of the pants...AND the instruments on the panel.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
NoBozo

Default FAA Check Ride

After ALL your training is complete with a local CFI ("Certified Flight Instructor") ..You MUST do a Check Ride with the regional FAA Check Pilot. HE will decide if you are ready to have a Pilots License. NB
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #25
Neko

Quote:
He was chief pilot when he was part owner of a charter service, i think he needed a medical every 6 months not sure if that was class 1 or 2. I also know he's got a bunch of endorsements Multi, Tailwheel, amphib/float plane, CFI, multiengine Instructor, instrument instructor, etc etc.

Last flight i made with him was over the past summer in a 172rg to p-town and shortly before that a trip over to Jaffrey for lunch and ice-cream.

He was filling in as an instructor for some of the Daniel Webster students I believe within the last couple of years. I dont know if he is current now.

We used to live in Tewksbury, MA so I spent a lot of time at Tew-Mac in particular. There was a cherokee 6 out of there that my father flew quite a bit doing everything from scenic rides and skydivers to flying caskets with bodies in them out for a funeral. Reliable workhorse with capacity.

I always thought about getting my license without letting him know I was working on it and surprising him with it. But if theres an angle to save money while spending some quality time with pops that sounds really good to me. Right now he's got a grass strip in his front yard and an empty 40x40 airplane hangar.

It would sure cut down on my commute to be able to fly up to the lake right from Hampton Airfield!
I also spent a lot of time at Tew-Mac and did my sole there. Never got my due to a heart attack.
I loved to fly the TR2 trainers there were a great little plane.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
chipj29

Wow, some great stuff in this thread! Thank you to all the pilots for the info and stories!!

My 14 year old son has started taking flying lessons. He has 2 lessons under his belt so far. His instructor has told us that he is a natural.
We would love to get him more time in the air, but as stated above, it is very expensive. The flight instructor is a family friend so we get a bit of a break, but we still have to pay for the rental etc.

His ultimate goal is the Air Force Academy. If that doesn't work out, I am pretty sure he will be enlisting in the military. He can't wait to put his flying skills to good use!

On a side note, I am going to try like crazy to get my son and I up to Alton Bay for the winter carnival. He will love watching the planes coming and going. Maybe if he begs someone he will even catch a ride!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #27
Winni-Retired

Default Great Start

Chip,

My son is a graduate of the US Naval Academy, Annapolis, so I have been where you are today. He expressed an interest in Annapolis the summer before the ninth grade. Your son being 14 is a great age to begin the process and understand the requirements for admission. There are many good books out there that explain the process and educational requirements for admission.

One input I would give you is that he does not need to be the class genius, what they are after is a well rounded person, involved in high school with sports, class officer, a great student and also involved outside the school .... such as food drives etc.

On the parental side, it is not a free ride. The goverment does pay for school and they are paid the salary of a Sgt E-5 while attending the Academy. The gov does charge them for food, computer, food, uniforms, etc out of the monthly pay, so they wind up with a pay of 100 per month as a fourth class (plebe) going up to 400 per month as a 1st class (senior). His free college cost us about 40,000, car, travel and health insurance, which the parents club suggest you keep them on since the midshipment might decide to leave the academy or is separated by the academy.

It is a very emotional ride as a parent watching your child graduate and take the oath of office as an officer. My son elected to take his as a U.S. Marine. Matter of fact both my son, now a 1st LT and my son-in-law, also a U.S. Marine, are currently deployed, in the war zone, putting their life on the line every day.

Last edited by Winni-Retired; 01-06-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #28
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
I also spent a lot of time at Tew-Mac and did my sole there. Never got my due to a heart attack.
I loved to fly the TR2 trainers there were a great little plane.
Who was your instructor at TewMac? I still see some of the guys from there a couple of times a year.

I recently went to a rehearsal dinner for my friends wedding at the Tewksbury Country club which sits right where the old runway was.

This website has some history about some of the closed airports with some good photographs. Tew-Mac included!

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...ields_MA_C.htm
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
dbahn

Hi. I'm one of the guys that flies into the ice airport for the past years, so far just in my Piper J3. I also have a Cessna 206 that my wife and I flew from Vermont to Alaska with a motorcycle in the back and I just this past year got my CFI (flight instructor rating) and SES (seaplane rating) and shortly after that bought a share of a Piper Super Cruiser on floats that we are leasing to an operation in Florida in the winter and to one in Vermont in the summer. A group of us looks forward to your Winter Carnival every year, and we usually manage another trip or two around the Carnival where we just fly in for breakfast. Last year one of our internet buddies flew in from Kansas for it, and she's planning to come again this year.

I'd say that Ironfish has an excellent synopsis of flying as a hobby, posted earlier. I would add that "getting there faster" is often wishful thinking and a little bit of rationalization that all pilots, including me, gladly do to justify the cost of pursuing the hobby. When you really calculate the time from door-to-door, including the time spent getting the airplane ready and putting it away, plus time ground transportation (which can be a big factor) you'll often find that it's more practical to drive, even though it's a lot less fun.

I often tell people that the "practical service area" for a typical airplane is shaped like a donut around your house. The area close to your house is faster to drive, the donut itself might be practical to fly yourself, then outside the donut it's considerably more practical to fly commercially.

P.S. Here's a link to our Alaska Trip and one to our new seaplane endeavor. And if you're still interested, a little video we made last year of flying over to Isle au Haut, Maine, and landing on the ice. (The video is at the bottom of the page.)

So I'm rambling a bit, because I actually dropped in to see if anyone knew for sure when the Winter Carnival will be. Paul thinks it will be February 20th, but some of the crew doesn't want to make hotel reservations until the date is more definite. Anyone know?

Rutland, VT
dbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #30
hancoveguy

Quote:
Who was your instructor at TewMac? I still see some of the guys from there a couple of times a year.

I recently went to a rehearsal dinner for my friends wedding at the Tewksbury Country club which sits right where the old runway was.

This website has some history about some of the closed airports with some good photographs. Tew-Mac included!

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...ields_MA_C.htm
I dont mean to derail this topic but I was at Tew-Mac during the 80's as well. What a great airport. Got my first taste of flying through Civil Air Patrol there. Met my wife (19 years ago) through working there part time for a summer.

Would be nice if M Boro airport rekindled some of that for us in the lakes region...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #31
chipj29

Thumbs up

Quote:
Chip,

My son is a graduate of the US Naval Academy, Annapolis, so I have been where you are today. He expressed an interest in Annapolis the summer before the ninth grade. Your son being 14 is a great age to begin the process and understand the requirements for admission. There are many good books out there that explain the process and educational requirements for admission.

One input I would give you is that he does not need to be the class genius, what they are after is a well rounded person, involved in high school with sports, class officer, a great student and also involved outside the school .... such as food drives etc.

On the parental side, it is not a free ride. The goverment does pay for school and they are paid the salary of a Sgt E-5 while attending the Academy. The gov does charge them for food, computer, food, uniforms, etc out of the monthly pay, so they wind up with a pay of 100 per month as a fourth class (plebe) going up to 400 per month as a 1st class (senior). His free college cost us about 40,000, car, travel and health insurance, which the parents club suggest you keep them on since the midshipment might decide to leave the academy or is separated by the academy.

It is a very emotional ride as a parent watching your child graduate and take the oath of office as an officer. My son elected to take his as a U.S. Marine. Matter of fact both my son, now a 1st LT and my son-in-law, also a U.S. Marine, are currently deployed, in the war zone, putting their life on the line every day.
This is a great post, thank you so much for all the info! And a big thank you to you and your family for serving our country.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
I dont mean to derail this topic but I was at Tew-Mac during the 80's as well. What a great airport. Got my first taste of flying through Civil Air Patrol there. Met my wife (19 years ago) through working there part time for a summer.

Would be nice if M Boro airport rekindled some of that for us in the lakes region...

HCG

My father, John, met my mother through CAP in Tewksbury sometime in the 70's. He and Ron Emond operated Air Direct Airways out of there until the airport closed.

The business has since moved over to Nashua where Ron still operates.