Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
SIKSUKR

Pretty bad situation at my mill building on the Merrimack in Manchester.We spent most of the night trying to save what we could on the lower level.We have 5 feet of the Merrimack inside as I write this.The river is about 10 feet over flood stage.This would be the highest it's been since the great flood of 1936.I've lost both my elevators and about 8 hvac units,and I can't even imagine how much inventory.The sewage ejection pumps just installed 2 years ago($10,000) are probably junk,along with the sewage that is no doubt mixing in that mess right now.This will be a lot of fun and time to clean up,which will certainly cut into my Winni time.All that being said,everyone is safe,the structure of the building still seams intack and I still have power in the building so most of my tenants are fine.Its quite a site to see!!Be safe everyone!!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
codeman671

Downtown Dover is shut down. Kelly's Row restaurant which overlooks the Cocheco is under water and they are threatening to close this building down. Across the street where One Second Computer is they had to evacuate the building for fear that it might crumble. I took pictures this morning of my old house in Newmarket on the Lamprey, there is 4 feet of water+ in the house. Unbelievable! I have some great pictures but they might be too large to post, if anyone is interested in seeing them feel free to email me.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Steve

Codeman, I sent you a message. If you want, I'll resize them and post them for you.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Hermit Cover

Default Flooding?

Is there any local flooding or washouts in the Lakes Region. Just heard on CNN that there were some problems on I-93 north of Concord. How is the Tilton exit....a big problem there last October....? We need a full lake but enough is enough.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
codeman671

They just announced that between exit 17 and 18 on Route 16 is washed out...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Flooding

I just went down 93 to Boston this morning with no problems. As you came into concord you could see some of the low lying areas just before the Merrimack River flooded. There were sign saying the Hookset ramps were closed. As you traveled 93 the rains intensity would vary from heavy to just road mist.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Weirs guy

exit 20 in tilton, and rt. 3 from there to the Weirs is OK. Lots of big puddles on the sides, and there is one creek in Lochmere that crested (the one that crested last year at Drews towing), but other then that the only other problem area is the construction zone at mosquito bridge, which should be fixed by now. We came up from a night at the seacoast yesterday, and all in all the Weirs Beach area made out really lucky.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Peechee

Smile Uh-oh Water over the docks?

Greetings from down south, folks...Hope you guys are OK! News reports make it sound like NH is completely underwater...let us out-of-towners know if the waters come over the docks, though. Happened, oh, about 1980-something when many residents had their docks submerged under about a foot of water, and there were mini waterfalls all over the islands. Ducks liked it, though.
Peechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Steve

Here's a link with the pics from Codman

http://www.sixsyllables.com/miscpics/dover/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Paugus Bay Resident

No big problems in Gilford. We faired much better than last fall.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
All I can say is thank goodness that the lake level was low!! Just imagine the damage that has been avoided!
Amen to that Yankee, those dam operators are geniuses.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
skisox24

Default A 100 Year Event

Great pictures of Dover, Codeman and Steve. Rivers may crest tonight or tomorrow, we are not out of the woods yet. It is incredible to think that just a few moments ago we were fretting about a drought. To think what this storm might have wrought with an average year of snow cover and spring melting!

Best of health to all, please share all experiences. This storm will be one of the costliest in this region in many years, if not in all history.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton

Several roads closed in town (Merrymeeting river has come over the Letter S road, also flooded Jones field where the kids play baseball/softball.) Parker Marine docks are basically underwater with water in the parking area. Downing's is underwater. Up on Alton Mountain, the Frohock creek became a raging river and wiped out the road into Alton shores (nice picture McDude, and sorry about the road into your place). Rand Hill Rd had about a third of the eastbound lane just above where the stream crosses the road wash out. Town filled the area with stone and put out cones. There were some areas on Rte11 between West Alton and Ames Farm that had water running across the road. West Alton Marina's road got washed out about even with the first field on the left. I'm sure there are others (haven't been down rte 140).
Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Misty Blue

Default Water, "On the docks".

I keep a level guage on my dock with a reference to "full lake" as zero and inches below and above zero. Last Thrusday the Lake was -8 inches. Today at 0800 it was +8 inches. Not time to panic just yet.

I checked out some friends places yesterday and they, along with my dock, will not be covered by H2O for another three inches. These elevations seem typical for private docks on the Lake. Even then, with the low boat traffic this time of year damage should be minimal.

If anyone is getting anxious PP me and I'll check your place out in the Misty.

PS. SKISUR... I grew up in the Bedford Block at the top of Dow and Elm Streets. Small world.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #15
Lakewinniboater

Default Mother nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
All I can say is thank goodness that the lake level was low!! Just imagine the damage that has been avoided!
I guess mother nature really does know what she is doing. I always seem to still question her though.

Let's hope that we are not in for a summer of rainy weekends like a few years back.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
tricia1218

I am north of Lowell, and drove through today to get to the highway, and it is awful, parts of the city are totally submerged, many roads shut down and evacuated. A friend had an office on the Spicket in Methuen, totally under water now. Driving over the bridges, I have never seen the water so high.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
Just Sold

Exclamation Swains Lake High Water

I look after a friends place in Barrington on Swains Lake while they are in FL. I got up there yesterday and found the Pontoon boat afloat and it had been completely out of the water before the rain. It was secured so it wont go anywhere. The neighbor said they had never seen the lake so high and the water level was down when I got there. I posted a few photos on PhotoPost.

Many of the roads that I could have taken to get to the cottage were closed. The out flow brook from the Swains dam was so heavy that they had closed Hall Road which the brook had now flooded over.

Last edited by Just Sold; 05-16-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default High Water

I was up in Wolfeboro this past weekend checking on my Uncle's place on Lake Wentworth. What a shocker to find his road looking like this:

Needless to say this is NOT good. The lake itself was at 6:00 PM Sunday about 12" from splashing over the rocks that edge the shoreline. The lake water was brown from all the churning, wind was blowing heavy from the S-SW very hard and the chop was very heavy. A trip into town revealed that the back bay docks were submerged by about 6" of water. I'm sure it's probably more now. Pretty impressive what mother nature can do.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
chipj29

Default Pillsbury Lake

Anyone hear about the Pillsbury Lake in Webster? There are several reports saying a dam failed, and the lake is not draining. They say it will be empty in 4 days or say, and will take up to 1 year after the dam is repaired for it to refill. I feel for those folks that live up there.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #20
tomboymom

Default Images

For imgaes of the flooding all around the state, try the WMUR site

http://www.wmur.com/news/9219803/detail.html

Under the blue "Images" bar on the left, click on the slideshows.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

They had video of the dam on the Channel 9 news last night, the earth around the dam gave way and the lake is draining. At the time of the report apparently the state had not yet made any decisions on what to do about it, thier concern is the whole dam would go... Bet you one thing, there won't be any tax breaks for all the camps on the lake should it drain completely.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #22
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Here's a link with the pics from Codman

http://www.sixsyllables.com/miscpics/dover/
Awesome photos, we only got about 5" of the rain and our river the Sudbury just crested at just flood levels but those photos on tv from the north shore, york beach and SE NH are unbelievable. Thanks for sharing yours.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
Island Girl

Default Our Apologies

The Babes do apologize for all the rain. It looks like we found the right dance... just need to tweak it a little to get the right amounts... I think we overdid it.. stop dancing... Now!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay

Here's some pictures from in and around Alton Bay on my way home from work on 5-16/

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=9430

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=9431

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=9432

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=9433
Old 05-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #25
ghfromaltonbay

Default How is Rand Hill Rd?

UTS,

Was wondering how the brook was running in your backyard? I seem to recall you had quite a torrent there last fall. Only about a week till I get there to survey the result of all this rain. Can't wait!!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #26
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Up on Alton Mountain, the Frohock creek became a raging river and wiped out the road into Alton shores (nice picture McDude, and sorry about the road into your place).
Here's what our tranquil little local babbling brook usually looks like....

<<<CLICK HERE>>> to see the destruction caused when it became a raging deluge!!! Unbelievable!

Nice to see the sun today!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #27
Mee-n-Mac

Question Roaming dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
<<<CLICK HERE>>> to see the destruction caused when it became a raging deluge!!! Unbelievable!

Nice to see the sun today!
McD - did your dock go "mcduding" about this flood ?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #28
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

It was only recently untied from the tree to which it was attached after being retrieved from last October's floods and set in place and levelled awaiting for a more permanent solution this week-end. I expect that it has floated away again.

We'll find out this week-end.

Still trying to figure out how to more securely "attach" it. It is impossible to drive the legs into the lake bottom as it is all rocks. I'm thinking the solution involves some cement to 'attach' it to rocks near the shore, however, that will have to wait until the water level goes down. Any ideas anyone?

BTW - this dock section I'm talking about is NOT the finger dock but the platform section near shore. It weighs a TON. Hard to believe it would even float.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
PP me and I'll check your place out in the Misty.

PS. SKISUR... I grew up in the Bedford Block at the top of Dow and Elm Streets. Small world.

Misty Blue.
Hey Misty,I'm born and bread on the West side but now reside in Bedford.Have worked my whole life next to the Mighty Merrimack.Small world indeed!
If you think the water rising a couple feet on Winni is bad,you should see my sisters place on Baboosic lake in Merrimack NH.The water rose 6 FEET!!.That's right six ft and the her new aluminum docks are under 5 feet of water.WOW!!!