Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Turnkey

Default Alton Bay Bridge

Does anyone have experience good or bad, with keeping a boat in the river and going under the bridge in high, & low water ?
Turnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default From Parker Marine

Our 19 ft Sunbird bowrider, deep vee construction, goes under quite easily. If lake level was much above full, it could get a little interesting.

It can get a little shallow to the right of the river as you go upstream, especially where Gillan's boat ramp into the river is located.

Biminis and most stern lights have to come down (out).
Turnkey (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
NoBozo

Bizer chart says 5.0 feet vertical clearence. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-01-2011), upthesaukee (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Ropetow

We have a 19-foot Four Winns bowrider and haven't had a problem in the 5 years we've been at Gillan's/Riverlake. In the spring it can get a bit tight when the lake level is especially high but have never even come close to scraping the windshield frame. If you've coming from east-southeast of the lake (we are in Rochester) it's a real handy place to have a slip.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ropetow For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
gslpro

Default depends on the boat

I guess I would say it depends on the boat, and how far down river you plan on going. We used to slip at Parker's. Our Chris Craft 232 scorpion cuddy made it under the bridge with a few inches to spare at full-lake. If a strong wind was blowing down the bay, it would surge the water up a few inches, and it got dicey a few times. I never went too far beyond the boundaries of Parker's, so I can't tell you much about the river for travelling. good luck. And yes, 5' is 5' 0"....nothing more.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gslpro For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-06-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
lawn psycho

We have a 22 ft Four Winns. You can not have any fixed towers and you want an easy up/down bimini.

Last year we came VERY close to striking the bridge on early spring. I was convinced we were going to hit. Had there been any chop on the water I would have hit the windshield. The key is to make sure you go directly under center.

As was mentioned previously on choppy days the boat can bounce.

Given the easy access of kayakers and Rt 11, I think the boats in Parkers and that area may be more prone to vandalism and theft. Around 20 boats got vandalized in precisely the area you are referring too last labor day so something to consider.

Also, the water once you get on the Parker's side of the bridge is not subject to chop so you pretty much never have to worry about your boat banging against the dock. However, I find my boat also had heavier film on the bottom than when kept at another marina.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (04-06-2011), Turnkey (04-06-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Two dobys

Back in the 90,s I kept my Formula 242 at Parkers. I never had any issues with the bridge. My dock was right on the river so access was easy. By mid summer I had a lot of weeds in the dock area and my boat bottom would get dirty. Normally mid season I would have the boat pulled and bottom cleaned. Never had any problems with vandals then.
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two dobys For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-06-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Knockers

You didn't state what boat you have so I'll just add one more to the mix of info. Been at Parkers in the past years till I bought the boat we have now, Searay 240 Sundeck which forced me to the other side of the bridge. My last year there was to close,all the time, with the high windshield even with the lake level down an inch. You don't have to guess at it either. The Parkers have a floating ball,vertical rod measuring device contraption on the side of the work dock that you can check first. I've also seen the three shop workers actually get in at the work dock and ride in the front thru the bridge and walk back to the shop for you. When you return,call them back up and they'll walk across and meet you at Downings' for a return trip!!!!!! As stated in an earlier post water level surge from the wind is real. Go out at one level and come back that afternoon 2 to 3 inchs higher. With the wind and water pushing you in to the bridge you need to be ready to back down aggressively while your on your knees driving! Oh did I mention keep ya fingers off the windshield frame! Once inside the marina, with the right size boat, Parkers' is very protected from the wind and rough water. Happy boating.
Knockers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knockers For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-06-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Kamper

I went back there once. It was a nice day, I was having a good conversation with my passenger and it had been a while since I operated in a current. On the way out I didn't notice the drift in time and smacked into the abutment. Just minor damage to the windshield frame.

If you pay more attention than I did, you should be okay.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Turnkey (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I thanked you for your post, as I wanted to be one of the 4.2 billion other people who also did.