Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Kayak incident in yesterday's storm

We went over to Welch this morning to check for damage after yesterday afternoon’s strong storm. An island resident on the west side near the entrance to the Winter Harbor cove told of an incident about 4:00 pm yesterday.

Two women kayaking somewhat off of Welch were caught by the strong squall line. Just as the wind was about to hit them they put on their PFDs, an action that probably saved their lives according to one of them that is a strong swimmer (life guard). They both capsized and one made it to shore near the residents camp. She yelled for help, the camp owner went out but they could not see the other women. They then went southward along the shore of Welch with the woman yelling into the wind for her friend. A ways down the shore there was a verbal response and finally the other woman made it to shore.

The MP did respond to a 911 call made by the camp owner and a MP boat took the women back to the mainland.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
chipj29

That is pretty scary and goes to show how fast bad weather can sneak up on you when you are out on the water. At least they were smart enough to put on the PFDs that they should have been wearing all along.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
welchislandman

pretty scary, glad they are ok.

Seems like the power has been out on welch since yesterday 3pm. My monitoring system shows still down. Did you see any damage and no power when you were out
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchislandman View Post
pretty scary, glad they are ok.

Seems like the power has been out on welch since yesterday 3pm. My monitoring system shows still down. Did you see any damage and no power when you were out
Our camp is north of where the power enters the island. We walked south from our camp to the entrance point and noted that the fuse for the north leg was tripped. We then walked north almost to the yacht club and so no damage nor did we see any sign of PSNH at 8:00 am today. I assume that the damage was further along the northern leg.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
welchislandman (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Power is On!

Power is back on at Welch as of now!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (06-10-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
fatlazyless

For 25-dollars the Parafunalia Store in Gilford sells bright yellow swimmers flotation belts that can be easily used when paddling a kayak, and unlike a pfd which fits over one's shoulders does not inhibit paddling nearly as much. Removing one's pfd for paddling is not uncommon due to heat and comfort concerns and the swimmers belt is another choice to consider, plus it does a much better job of supporting an active swimmer doing the crawl, breaststroke, or sidestroke.

Some paddlers like to wear the abreviated shorty pfd vest plus a swimmers belt both at the same time, and will remove the shorty pfd when they get too warm in the shoulders area but keep the swimmers belt on for safety. A swimmers belt will keep an individual afloat and makes it much easier to swim for long distances.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
skprbob

Default swimmers belt

A "swimmer's belt", like the old water ski belts, are not Coast Guard approved PFDs and do not satisfy the legal PFD requirement by themselves. Such a belt along with a Coast Guard PFD is OK, but the belt alone is not legal.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Kayakers who are 13 and older are not legally required to be wearing a pfd in New Hampshire, so wearing just the swimmers belt is a heck of a lot safer than removing a pfd and using nothing. Besides, it is much easier to actually swim while wearing a swimmer's belt than while wearing a pfd, plus it can be more comfy for paddling too. Pfd's can get in the way or be too hot when paddling or rowing, while the swimmers belts does not present the same problem for an obvious reason. Plus, it's much easier to snap the belt on with just one buckle snap when already in the water, should your kayak get flipped over by a wind gust or something.

Swimmers belts come in two models; single or double belt with the double having more flotation. They work real good for swimmer safety when swimming out over your head, swimming alone, or swimming in big waves or wind swept water. They make it easy to float on your back because the bouyancy can easily be centered to individual different body shapes which is something that cannot be done very good with a pfd. A pfd has one position, while the swimmer's belt cab be moved and tightened to center the bouyancy or adjust for floating on one's back or treading water with the belt up tight below one's armpits. Swimmer's belts are good for swimming while a pfd is good for not drowning.
John A. Birdsall (06-11-2011), KPW (06-16-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
ITD

If they had a broom they would have been able to beat the water back.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
skprbob

Default swimmer's belt redux

Just so my point is clear:

There's nothing wrong with wearing a swimmer's belt while you are kayaking. As FLL points out, there are many ways it can be put to good use, but it does NOT satisfy the PFD law by itself. You still have to have a USCG approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person aboard and if it's Type V, it must be worn regardless of your age. A child 12 or under must wear the PFD, regardless of Type. The swimmer's belt is a perfectly good supplement, but that's all it is - a supplement.

Personally, I believe strongly that anyone in a kayak, sailboard, or other similar craft should be wearing their PFD. Years ago, while on the Marine Patrol, I responded to a capsized kayak in 2-3 foot seas off Diamond Island. I was around the Ames Farm area at the time, so it was a quick trip to the scene. I spotted the kayak (bright orange) and soon spotted the person about 50 yards from his boat. He was semi-conscious, floating face-up wearing a bright orange PFD, and had a developing bruise on his forehead. To make a long story short, he recovered just fine. He likely was tossed out of his boat by wave action and the boat struck him on the head on the way over. If he had not been wearing a PFD which could float him and turn him face-up, he would have been done. He was an experienced kayaker, but just caught the wrong wave at the wrong time. Seems to me that common sense dictates what the law does not.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
John A. Birdsall (06-13-2011), KPW (06-16-2011), Lucky1 (06-13-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (06-14-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Lucky1

Default meadow brook or whatever the name is sells....

The type of vest for Kayaks. They are quite comfortable and not hot in the shoulders at all. FLL is acting irresponsibly in my opinion if he is advising ANYONE to be in a kayak without the proper floatation device. I do not go in any boat without a vest. I go out alone in my kayak and am not really much of a swimmer. BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT SWIMMER. IF YOU ARE FORCED OUT OF THE BOAT FOR ANY REASON YOU SHOULD BE IN A APPROVED VEST. Thus in my case, if I am in a boat I am in a vest.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
RANGER CANOE CO (06-29-2011), Slickcraft (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Seeker

Funny to me but under NH law sailboards are not required to have pfds (unless a 12 year old is operating). This isn't referring to the old type of sailboards I grew up with just the type where you stand up to operate it and if you fall off the whole rig, sail, mast and boom, falls into the water.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Misty Blue

Default You got it right!

SKPRBOB, you are dead nutz on in your post about PFD requirements on a kayak. Thanks.

In Massachusetts they have, what I consider, a very good rule. You must wear a PFD when operating a canoe or kayak between Sept. 15th and May 15th. This is to reduce the risk of drowning in cold water. Yea, I said drowning, not hypothermia.

BoatUS foundation did an indepth study of hypothermia with a group of "volunteers" in lake Michigan. They concluded that if you die from hypothermia it is because you WERE wearing your PFD. Here's why.

With your PFD on you should remain floating and can survive for 20 to 30 minutes in 45 deg. water before hypothermia takes you out. Without the PFD your muscles will fail you and you will drown in less than 10 minutes.

It's a good law and a good idea.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Styles of vest... Note every vest is made for every activity in the water. There are plenty of vests that are very comfortable to where while paddling. I wouldn't use them to water ski, But I also wouldn't use my water skiing vest for paddling....
Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
ApS

Default Sailing is Different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Funny to me but under NH law sailboards are not required to have pfds (unless a 12 year old is operating). This isn't referring to the old type of sailboards I grew up with just the type where you stand up to operate it and if you fall off the whole rig, sail, mast and boom, falls into the water.
A PFD can force you up under the sail, which has just excluded your air supply.

The World Olympics changed their mandatory PFD rules when one twin brother of the two-brother crew drowned under the sail—unable to get any air!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
A PFD can force you up under the sail, which has just excluded your air supply.

The World Olympics changed their mandatory PFD rules when one twin brother of the two-brother crew drowned under the sail—unable to get any air!
It's always different for them isn't it?

Yes, that can happen. Same argument people used to use with seatbelts, being trapped in a burning car. If the sail trapping people is a common issue, then perhaps a large, circular flotation device needs to be mounted at the top of the mast to allow for air space when the sailboat tips.

But you know, when all kinds of people are making all kinds or rules for everyone, they're generally too busy to listen to common sense, or even discuss alternatives. Maybe the twin brother could have had no PFD, fallen into the water, hit his head, and drowned. There are lots of scenarios, as there are with any boat on the water.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #17
ApS

Cool Sailing: Different, Difficult...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
It's always different for them isn't it? ...There are lots of scenarios, as there are with any boat on the water.
More so, among sailors.

1) Below, "the tramp" referred to is the language of sailing catamarans: "Turned-turtle" means a slow, but total upside-down overturning following the initial capsize.

Quote:
"...The wind pressed against the vinyl coated tramp just like it was a sail and we were all instantly beneath the tramp with the Hobie turned turtle. This took no more than 10 seconds to occur.

"Alex had his PFD on and was trapped against the tramp. I grabbed him and pulled him out..."
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...ailing-39.html
2) I have nothing against inflatable PFDs: popular elsewhere for years, they only achieved Coast Guard approval in 1996. That approval was conditional.

Inflatable PFDs were viewed as "scrimping on ultimate safety" in favor of comfort. It continues to be too easy to load an exhausted cartridge into one's inflatable PFD.

Some advise checking Inflatables very year:

Quote:
"Please come to the pool event on Sat nite of the convention. Bring your vest and jump in with it. You will be surprised on many will not function from corroded valves, etc. You should test them every year."
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=285441
3) Now that I've read the Coast Guard's Inflatable conditional approval, I think I'll stick with my old-fashioned vest!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote