Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
songkrai

Default Small Tiny Ants.

No, not in house. In yard. Scattered about yard.

These are very small tiny ants. They make a small round sand/dirt like mound. No chemical so far seems to delete them.

Any Entomologists out there?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Terro Drops of Death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
No, not in house. In yard. Scattered about yard.

These are very small tiny ants. They make a small round sand/dirt like mound. No chemical so far seems to delete them.

Any Entomologists out there?
My wife calls me the "Ant King" because I basically have ridded our island camp of ants in a couple days or at least I hope that why she calls me that! .

Go the hardware store or similar and get this stuff called "Terro". make sure it is this stuff right here... http://www.terro.com/products.php?pr...uid_ant_killer

You put a couple drops of this on small square (1"x1") white cardboard paper and place a few of them around wherever the ants are. Make sure your pets or kids don't eat them! Anyway, the ants love this stuff and they will bring all their little buddies to have a luau in your little drops of death. They suck this stuff up and bring it back to the colony to share with their friends and relatives. Little do they know that this stuff is a bomb waiting to go off in their tiny little bodies. Within a couple days you and your neighbors will be ant free!!!

Don't waste your time or money on any of those ant hotels or trap type baits. The ants are on to us when it comes to those gadgets and you will just be wasting your money. Been there done that!

Good luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I agree, the terro works great on the tiny ants. They line up around it just like soldiers and take it back to the nest.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Guy

Agree it works great. We have it going at the camp and home.

The active ingredient is Borax.

From their site:

Is Terro Liquid Ant Bait safe to use around pets and children?

Terro can be used safely around pets and children. The inert ingredients are sweet food-based products similar to pancake syrup. The active ingredient is Borax. Borax is a natural mineral that is found in many consumer products and has been used safely by homeowners for years.

How long does it take to eliminate an ant colony with Terro Liquid Ant Bait?

This is a BAIT type product and will initially attract lots of ants. The ants consume large quantities of the bait and then return to the nest and share it with the rest of the colony, including the queen, eventually eliminating the entire colony. This process can take from just a couple days to several weeks, depending on the size of the colony. Each ant that consumes the bait will die within 24 - 48 hours. It is recommended to leave the bait station as undisturbed as possible while the ants are actively feeding on it. You should replace it only if it becomes inaccessible to the ants, or empty.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think Paul Parent recommended Borax mixed with sugar and I tried it on the pavers a few times. It did seem to work. I didn't realize that is what terro is. Thanks for the post, RG.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Revenge

We also use Revenge liquid bait that we got at the Gilford Agway. Same type of product, boric acid in a sugar syrup.
http://www.get-revenge.us/antkiller.html
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
acanthus

Default Tiny ants

A half and half mixture of Borax and granulated sugar, sprinkled around the ant hills will solve the problem.
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
dragonfly03246

Default Windex

I found that Windex and cleaning with Windex will keep them away in the house. It's the most effective thing we've found and it won't harm the cats. As for outside, maybe try spraying some on their little ant hills?? Who knows, it just might work
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly03246 View Post
I found that Windex and cleaning with Windex will keep them away in the house. It's the most effective thing we've found and it won't harm the cats. As for outside, maybe try spraying some on their little ant hills?? Who knows, it just might work
Have you seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
PapaBarnCat

Exclamation Non-Chemical Method

Have you thought of getting some Ant Lions (Doodlebugs)? They'll happily eat all the little ants, and won't poison anything. http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-beneficial/antlions/
PapaBarnCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Best kept secret........Aspartame.....same stuff that sweetens your diet Coke and most "O" calorie food and beverage.It was originally developed as ant poison and it worked so well they put it in your food.
Simply wet some Nutrasweet with a little fruit juice and leave it near the ants.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote