Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
KBoater

Question Verizon/Fairpoint

Has anyone information on the Verizon internet connection sale to Fairpoint? I found this link

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/n...bos%5f300error

I use Metrocast in Wolfeboro but having Verizon is a nice option. It looks like the sale will effect the whole Lakes Region area
Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
gtxrider

Default Thank Judge Greene

Well the Judge thought it would help if the Bell System was broken up. See what happens when the Government helps. Now we have the the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs) worried about the bottom line and not service. They get rid of the areas that cost too much and just skim the cream off of the top. 1/1/84 what a day!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
EricP

I agree Verizon is trying to duck out on what will be costly upgrades and maintenance of the infrastructure in NH, VT and ME. I am not so sure Fairpoint has that money or will even be able to get the money needed to upgrade the systems. Thankfully I haven't used Verizon in years. I've had Vonage for 4 years and haven't looked back. Even though I am not affected I think it's a bad idea.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
michael c

Exclamation Verizon /Fairpoint

I am starting this thread because of the suggestion someone made in the
"phone outage" thread
I moved here [ Paugus bay a year ago] . I moved from the Fryeburg maine area [ Brownfield] and I had Fairpoint.

Believe me when i say that not one single person in the 10-15 towns covered by Fairpoint has a good thing to say about them . If you think its not so great here now,just wait.I am not kidding when I say that if we were going to have rain TOMORROW we would lose our internet today...
My internet went down at least ,,,,AT THE VERY LEAST once every 12 -14 days I am being kind when I say 12-14 days some times I would be down for 3-4 days .. Fairpoint has said that it going to spend 150 million over the next 5 years in order to bring dsl to 90 % of maine ..Big deal ! thats 30 million a year to fix that fact that about 1/2 of the stare of maine has dsl now and they expect to fix the problem with 30 Mil a year ....Of course it will be over 5 years so they won't be using their money, they will be using our money , raise our rates and then use the money we pay every month to pay for any "improvements" to Fairpoint , an improvement would be to make it so we only lose our DSL only once every 3 weeks ..That would be a huge improvment for them...if it so important for Fairpoint to buy the Verizon phone lines and such a wise investment , then why does Verizon want to sell?
only one reason and that is to make large chunks of money ,all of which will be passed on to us the consumers
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

Default Cable

Have you tried the cable company? If you have the triple play services (TV, Internet, Phone) in your area, there is no need to deal with Verizon or Fairpoint any more. Comcast, and others, aren't perfect either - but at least you have a choice. Fairpoint is going to have to invest in order to earn business.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Dave R

Verizon is presently competing with cable TV companies in some markets with fiber to the home (FIOS), offering TV, Internet and phone. They will continue to expand that network since it's very profitable and vastly easier to maintain than their old copper-based network. It also has lots more bandwidth potential (virtually unlimited) than any copper network. They've already installed the nationwide, self-healing, easily upgradeable/expandable and reliable backbone to support the bandwidth folks will expect with FIOS and are in the last (and most time consuming) stages of deployment.

That old copper-based network still has some value since there's plenty of customers that will never pay for FIOS, FIOS may be a long time coming, and there are some areas that may never get it. Verizon is willing to sell the network at a loss today, just to avoid having to maintain the network in the future and to avoid trying to sell it later while its value continues to decrease. Fairpoint, in the mean time, can make lots of money on the network where they are the only game in town since Verizon will not be able to get FIOS out quickly.

I don't really care either way because I have Comcast for phone, internet and TV.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Unhappy Verizon Sold To Fairpoint For One Reason...

...money.

I work for Verizon and that's all the company is concerned with.

They don't care about their customers (although they say they do). They sold Maine, NH, and Vermont to Fairpoint because they're not "big" money makers, as compared to Mass (or more specifically major cities in Mass-Boston, Cambridge, Springfield).

This was a huge issue for employees who thought they were going to be employed by Verizon for the duration of their careers and now they work for a company that isn't union who can one day suddenly decide they don't need them any more.

Welcome to the world of big corporations.

I'm going back to school (which luckily Verizon pays for), so I can get the hell out of dodge the day I get my degree (hopefully sooner if another job oppurtunity comes up) and never have to work for Verizon again.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
jrc

Verizon doesn't want NH/VT/ME because people are too far apart. With their expensive workforce (union) and service (fios) they need dense populations to make big money. Fairpoint will do a fine job taking your money and keeping the old Verizon system running.

My big fear is that they won't spend on improvements like DSL. My DSL phone line comes from Nashua, so I'm not worried about me. But the less dense parts of the state, may take longer than expected.

The company I work for sold a lot of phone gear to Verizon for the north country and we're eager to see how Fairpoint approaches their new buildouts.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Verizon doesn't want NH/VT/ME because people are too far apart. With their expensive workforce (union) and service (fios) they need dense populations to make big money. Fairpoint will do a fine job taking your money and keeping the old Verizon system running.

My big fear is that they won't spend on improvements like DSL. My DSL phone line comes from Nashua, so I'm not worried about me. But the less dense parts of the state, may take longer than expected.

The company I work for sold a lot of phone gear to Verizon for the north country and we're eager to see how Fairpoint approaches their new buildouts.
I have never been thrilled with Comcast. I wish that we had another choice for TV and internet. Being in Dover, and honestly not far from the main routes I am surprised that DSL and/or Fios is not available for us. It is a new subdivision, its not like I am out in the middle of nowhere...My business is in electronics recycling so it will be interesting to see if any existing equipment starts to come off line and is replaced.

I have tried the Comcast digital phone and was very unhappy. We had multiple issues with outbound calls, we could not call into anyone else that had Comcast as well. The calls simply would not go through and they could not fix it.

I hope Fairpoint has a solution for many, but don't see it getting any better.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
michael c

Default Verizon/ Fairpoint

JUst to tell you a bit more : When I lived in Brownfield,Me. [ think Fryeburg ] neither Fairpoint or anyone offered cable T.V . I had to get satellite , and i went with direct...never had a problem ...I lost service once, perhaps twice during a VERY SEVERE rain storm that was going on in the New york area..It lasted perhaps 15 minutes
I Have Comcast here and I have never really had any problems
It just seems to me that Verizon is all about money ,,,and they are a giant: what happens when this little bitty Fairpoint comes into town? They say they will upgrade a lot but all they are going to do is raise our rates and as the money comes rolling in, they will spend a very small percentage of that new cash to upgrade...What bothers me is that they have already told how much they will spend to upgrade. $150 million over 5 years ...that is pocket change for verizon and fairpoint will drag these improvements out for so long with every excuse in the book , all the while, we will be paying, we , the existing customers, will be paying for any upgrades fairpoint does...then they will overcharge the new people they have been able to reach using our money . I have experienced Fairpoint and they are as undependable as any company I have ever dealt with .....often 3-4 days off line and then suddenly ,,,,back on line..no explanation ,no "sorry" and unless you demand it , no adjustment to your monthly bill, even when you have been down for 4-5 or even 7 days in some cases

Remember this : It is all about the money ! they are all a bunch of crooks , just like everyone in Washington ..

I love my Country ,,,I just don't trust the people running it they are all either liars or crooks or both ...Fairpoint is the same way .
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
Argie's Wife

As someone who used to work in Tel-Com -

You DON'T want Fairpoint - this is NOT a bargain at all!

This is a company with the worst customer service satisfaction ratings you can imagine.

They are a nightmare to work with on a corporate level - never mind on a personal user level.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
longislander

I use Time-Warner for internet...DSL not available...Satellite is way too expensive, although I did install Direct TV myself and had it for about 5-6 years for video.

For those of us that reside in ME,VT, and NH let's hope that the present Fairpoint becomes a new Fairpoint, based on the negative comments.

Maine, Vermont, and the FCC have already approved the sale. Some of us believe you will hear NH's approval come tomorrow, Tuesday...or at least by the end of the week. That will close the deal and the transition from Verizon to Fairpoint will begin.

At least these companies are regulated and there is some recourse to the regulatory agencies . Try that with your cable bill!!! Have you petitioned your selectmen lately for relief from your cable bill??
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
DREAMS

Smile Reduced taxes with cable phone/TV/Internet

It appears one major advantage of dumping the telephone company is a substantial reduciton in your phone bill eliminating 50% of the current bill with federal regulated taxes. !/2 of the montly charges is taxes for the original cost of the service plan. Then you have to pay a monthly fee to avoid fees for a "false alarm service call" should you have any issues with your line. At least the cable company does not charge the same fees to service their customers. It still appears that Direct TV and Dish Network are less expensive than Time Warner Cable even with the purchase of your local TV station? $75 per month for basic TV service is far too expensive with Time Warner's package pricing.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
longislander

Not sure there will be any changes in the Federal and State taxation of the land-line phone bills??!! That's a regulatory issue...not a company decision!

What might be worth watching on the regulatory front might be the battle in congress on the Universal Service Fund (?) whereby the rural communities were supposed to benefit from that fund. In fact, what has happened it subsidized the roll-out of the wireless phone companies!

Direct TV and other satellite venues for internet access, not so much video, are way more expensive, if you factor in the extra hardware needed...let alone the subscription.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Considering that Verizon employees and their union representatives are actively opposed to the Fairpoint Communications buy-out, what's the prospects for Fairpoint going from non-union to union after the buy-out?

The Gilford PD recently joined the Teamster's Union, and the Meredith town manager has said she is concerned about a union should SB-2 be approved on March 11.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Considering that Verizon employees and their union representatives are actively opposed to the Fairpoint Communications buy-out, what's the prospects for Fairpoint going from non-union to union after the buy-out?
Fairpoint isn't going to allow a union to crop up.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
longislander

The present Fairpoint in the limited footprint of, some Maine and some Vermont already has a few CWA Union workers.

When the deal goes through this week, there will be 2000 hard core IBEW Union members that will become Fairpoint.

The three Locals (ME, NH and VT ) have been in preliminary contract negotiations for the last couple of weeks!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
The present Fairpoint in the limited footprint of, some Maine and some Vermont already has a few CWA Union workers.

When the deal goes through this week, there will be 2000 hard core IBEW Union members that will become Fairpoint.

The three Locals (ME, NH and VT ) have been in preliminary contract negotiations for the last couple of weeks!
FairPoint is pledging to retain all existing Verizon employees at their current pay and benefits

Something does not sound right...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
michael c

Default when all the chips have been played

and all the cards have been dealt. I will personally guarantee that we will not get better service than what we have now ...and it will cost at least 10- 20-bucks more per month ..
this is a cabal , in cahoots with the federal government to put thhe screws to us ... I will personanilly guarantee that fairpoint will screw us ...guarantee!! anyone want to bet money ....I will take any and all comers ..take any bet
and the real problem is that while we will have to pay more ,,,the service will go into the toilet..that is the only phrase I can come up with ...
less service ,,,more money and we will pay for all the upgrades
This is simply the way the U.S government works ...screw 'em all , let them complain , and after a while ,they will disappear and they wont be so vocal

I am hear to tell you that Verizon is in it for the money. Fairpoint is in it for the money ./..and they are both crooks and outright thieves .
I challenge anyone to look at theire bill a year from now and tell me it has gone down ,,,or it hasn't gone up,
the sad part of all tihs is that your government is in favor of this ,,
every senator and every congress man is in favor of this ... they are all crooks .please tell me of a senator or congressman or congress woman who is against this
No I am not one of those wacko's who think that our government is 100 % corrupt ...I only think that most of our senators and our congressmen or ladies are corrupt... I would love to hear from anyone who can shed a bit of light on this ,,,perhaps show me the errors of my way
I will sit and wait
thanks
] michael
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Today's Tuesday www.unionleader.com has an opinion article by Meredith's former state senator, Carl Johnson, which supports the Fairpoint buy-out, as it would speed up the North Country internet.

What the heck, still plenty homes up north of the Notches still ain't got no 'lectricity, need be using their 96" satellite dish all powered up by a woodstove, ayup!

Hey Margaret, the tv signals fading, want you go split 'nother log, dearie?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-19-2008 at 07:23 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #21
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post

I am hear to tell you that Verizon is in it for the money.
Of course they are, so is every other business in operation from the small mom-n-pop store to the largest conglomerate.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
I am hear to tell you that Verizon is in it for the money. Fairpoint is in it for the money ] michael
Imagine that,a company in it for the money.What other purpose is any company in it for?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
GWC...

Michael C's point would seem to be: Fairpoint will make money without providing a proper level of service.

If one were to view the Restaurant Information & Reviews section, exemplification abounds.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Orion

Default Internet alternatives

There's always Verizon wireless internet access. I just tested my VZ air card in Tuftonboro over the weekend and was getting 1.2 Mbps up and down. That's as good or better than DSL. A bit pricey ($59/mo), but cheaper than satellite with no latency and you can take it with you if you have a lake house and a non-lake house or winter residence down south.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Same on the "other" side..

I have the Verizon card in my laptop... very good service in Gilford at the Lake. I'm on the broads and find the service excellent
Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
Lakegeezer

Default Verizon wireless and Fairpoint

Will Fairpoint take over the Verizon Wireless services too? Verizon seems to have done a good job in NH.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
Skip

Default Verizon v. Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Will Fairpoint take over the Verizon Wireless services too? Verizon seems to have done a good job in NH.
Nope, two completely separate entities.

By the way, from professional experience, Verizon & Verizon Wireless have a very difficult time working together on joint projects!

As a sidebar I am extremely pleased with Verizon Wireless service, especially (and as others have noted) with my laptop card.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #28
longislander

Not only are Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless separate entities...Verizon Wireless is a joint venture with Vodaphone, the European entity!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #29
longislander

Looks like the NH PUC Commissioners were away at a conference, and won't be rendering a decision till next week.

Looks like the close for Fairpoint will be in March.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Not only are Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless separate entities...Verizon Wireless is a joint venture with Vodaphone, the European entity!

Verizon installed a huge wireline backbone (almost a copy of the Global Crossing network) in Western Europe a few years ago too. Not sure if they still own it though.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #31
longislander

A lot of activity in Asia, as well!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...ness/cable.php
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #32
longislander

Regarding Verizon/Verizon Wireless not in sync...

Denny Strigle was brought in about a year and half or so, from Verizon Wireless into Verizon Communications as "Top Dog" after Ivan Seidenberg, CEO.

He was brought in to try to replicate the success he accomplished @ Wireless!

"Things"have been stirring since...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
A lot of activity in Asia, as well!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...ness/cable.php
I've done quite a bit of work in landing stations on both sides of the both the Atlantic and Pacific. Land's End, Beverwijk, Brookhaven, Grover Beach, Pusan, Miura etc. Never been on a cable laying ship though. I'd like to see what that's like someday.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #34
ghfromaltonbay

Default Can you hear me now?

Quote:
Regarding Verizon/Verizon Wireless not in sync...

Denny Strigle was brought in about a year and half or so, from Verizon Wireless into Verizon Communications as "Top Dog" after Ivan Seidenberg, CEO.

He was brought in to try to replicate the success he accomplished @ Wireless!

"Things"have been stirring since...
I worked for Denny Strigl when he was VP & COO of Bell Atlantic NJ back in the late 80's. He is a terrific person and much more people oriented than his predecessor Larry Babbio. I'm glad to hear that he's having an influence at VZ. I was sorry to see him leave VZ-NJ for the wireless side.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #35
NBR

Default No Change

Since we have had terrible service from Verison the 10 years we have been in this house I guess we can expect the same but we might have a chance with Fairpoint.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #36
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Thank Judge Greene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
Well the Judge thought it would help if the Bell System was broken up. See what happens when the Government helps. Now we have the the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs) worried about the bottom line and not service. They get rid of the areas that cost too much and just skim the cream off of the top. 1/1/84 what a day!
I was with "Ma Bell" during the 1-1-84 divestiture and actually read the consent decree. (AT&T CONSENT DECREE, entered August 24, 1982) The Bell Operating Companies were required to maintain the "local presence" and "last mile" as a condition of the breakup. My opinion is that selling out to Fairpoint violates the consent decree from Judge Greene. I also believe the current crop of regulators have no idea what was in that decree.