Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
DREAMS

Default Beware of Moultonboro Selectman Discussions

A recent article this week shared on going discussions between the Moultonboro Selectman and The Fishing Tournament Association Members. I was amazed to hear the consideration of our selectman/selectwomen in negotiations about extending the use of Town Resident Beaches & Launches for approx 100 or more fishing derby participants. Amazing how town residents pay annual fees to use town property they support with taxes but our selectman/selectwomen seeing nothing wrong with encouraging a major event with such small space and area to start with. The Long Island Beach and Lauch Area has grown heavily infested with millfoil the past 2 years due to increased use of the boat launch and extensinve mooring by summer boat activity. If we already have a major millfoil problem growing which the town has not dealt with, why would we encourage 100 more boats to use the boat launch for events on top of local weekend use. The road and area is so small and congested, we have no room to accomodate and host such events. These groups should be contacting Marina's and donating the $10 launching fee to the towns for use of the access. Hopefully, town residents will speak up to the selectman/selectwomen and stop their volunteering our our town/resident owned property as they wish to major events. We all realize the fishing derby's draw tourists and revenue our economy needs, but there is a time and place to host such events and Moultonboro Neck/Long Island Bridge is not one of them!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Tired of Waiting

Question

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMS View Post
I was amazed to hear the consideration of our selectman/selectwomen in negotiations about extending the use of Town Resident Beaches & Launches for approx 100 or more fishing derby participants.

Amazing how town residents pay annual fees to use town property they support with taxes
Let’s see. Folks with summer homes who are not residents pay tons of taxes but shouldn’t get to use the “PUBLIC” facilities.

Folks who are there spending money and supporting the local economy shouldn’t be allowed to use the “PUBLIC’ facilities.

Quote:
The Long Island Beach and Lauch Area has grown heavily infested with millfoil the past 2 years due to increased use of the boat launch and extensinve mooring by summer boat activity.
True, milfoil is a problem. Maybe all boat launching and mooring should be banned from “PUBLIC” facilities

Quote:
These groups should be contacting Marina's and donating the $10 launching fee to the towns for use of the access
Ask a marina to allow launching then donate that money to the town??

Yup, we don’t need them thar flatlanders up here using OUR “PUBLIC” facilities.

just a few thoughts.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default A moment of Ponder

Dream, you mention and article about this issue, is it something you could point us too? Are you sure it was the Launch at Long Island bridge they where discussing? And Who exactly was the town talking too? Which Bass fishing tournment group was it?

You make it seem like a huge issue. If it was at long Island Bridge.... I personally would be effected.... but it really doesn't concern me. I lived on Lake Champlain for 8 years. right down the road from where they held two Major Bass Master Tournaments for several years. They where so organized, and delt with there space constraints so well there was no problem. All of them had there boats in Before the sun was up, and people where out and about. And then at the end of the day, they took the boats out in waves, only sending a few trucks at a time to the ramp from the parking lot. In fact they where loading boats well into the night, after all the day recreational users where allowed to get there boats out with higher priority. I was personally amazed at how well things worked. The other part of this is that while at the start of the tournment there where 100 or more boats, the tournaments I witnessed where 4 days starting on a thurs. By Saturday that number was greatly reduced. And all the guys that were no longer participating had left the area. The last thing to address here, is what time of the year do they want to hold a tournament? In the heat of the summer, I could understand concern..... sure...... before Memorial day or after Labor day..... there is no problem, the town beach is diserted, and the one using the ramp at that point are the fisherman anyways.

There are way to many questions left unanswered here with out reading your article here.......
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
DREAMS

Default Read the Meredith News

Since you apparently have doubt on the subject matter, read the prior weeks Meredith News within the last month. There was not specific mention of any particular association. You can also read where Karol Crawford is the main selectwoman involved with this issue. I only repeat what I read in the local papers, thus this is a true article right in your backyard. I understand and appreciate your experience on Lake Champlain. However, the Long Island Boat Lauch again has not room to handle the summer weekend traffic which as grown every year in volume and use. I live in the neighborhood and experience the area myself daily. This is not some foreign issue to myself either otherwise why would I have concern. In reference to the public access issue, how do you know how many of these 100 people are summer residents and owners, I am sure the majority are folks out for the day trip on the lake traveling from out of town.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
A recent article this week shared on going discussions between the Moultonboro Selectman and The Fishing Tournament Association Members. I was amazed to hear the consideration of our selectman/selectwomen in negotiations about extending the use of Town Resident Beaches & Launches for approx 100 or more fishing derby participants.

These groups should be contacting Marina's and donating the $10 launching fee to the towns for use of the access. Hopefully, town residents will speak up to the selectman/selectwomen and stop their volunteering our our town/resident owned property as they wish to major events. We all realize the fishing derby's draw tourists and revenue our economy needs, but there is a time and place to host such events and Moultonboro Neck/Long Island Bridge is not one of them!
"Leave Lake Winni to the simple folks who yearn for peace and privacy free from politics and media."

Who typed that?

That's right, DREAMS did.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Tired of Waiting

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
Good catch GWC,,,

Gee DREAMS, I'm simple folk who yearn for peace and privacy from politics and media. Can I now use the PUBLIC facilities?

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote