Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Lake Debris??

I haven't splashed the boat yet, but I am wondering what it is like out in Winnipesaukee. Is there a lot of debris floating around from the broken docks? Any update would be appreciated.

Thanks!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
GusMan

Default Debris...

Hi SecondCurve,

I haven't dropped my boat in the big lake yet either, but I would *always* assume there is debris in the water at this time of year (actually.... this number of days after iceout). On a "normal" year... whatever that is... there is typically quite a bit of debris in the water for several weeks after iceout (or more).

I believe two things can make it substantially more likely to have debris... extremely high water (whatever time of year it is) and ice out conditions like we had this year (lots of ice sheet movement that damages docks).

I'd be extra careful this time of year and especially so this year.

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Debris left behind by those using the ice

While taking pictures of ice out, I noticed a lot of debris in the vicinity of where some bob houses were.

Unfortunately, this is controllable debris and the result of someone's carelessness or lack of courtesy. Paraphrasing a backpacker's credo, if you bring it out on the ice, take it back off the ice when you leave.

You could see this type of debris both inside and outside the bandstand area, and I would guess just about anywhere there were bob houses or people gathered on the ice, there will be some debris left behind.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Airwaves

I was at our place Friday and there was all kinds of debris washed up on shore, from tree limbs to a number of empty plastic containers that held oil etc for snowmobiles!

Another reason Marine Patrol should be year round!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
trfour

Post I hear ya....

Since years, I have picked up my share of debris out on the Lake by boat and by snowmobile. One winter after the Derby I towed a drag behind my sled and made three trips out on the ice, strapped the junk onto the drag and brought it back to the beach, loaded it into the pickup and hauled it to the dump.

It is a shame how some people treat our Lake.

PS- I know that I shouldn't have to do this but over the years here, I don't mind giving back so to speak, as it seems the power that be, is hogtied.

T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 04-11-2006 at 09:24 AM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #6
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Another reason Marine Patrol should be year round!
More importantly, Fish & Game.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Debris

We didn’t see much debris on the way over to Rattlesnake Island this past Saturday. Only a 5-gallon bucket washed up on the shore. Unfortunately we were unable to grab it. Next trip up I hope to hike over and retrieve it, with luck it is in useable condition!

There was not as much dock damage on the island as we thought there would be, as far as I could tell anyway. Only the Owl’s Nest or is it Crow’s Nest now, but that happened back in October. The owners sure are going to be surprised when they find their dock completely gone this spring.

Yesterday afternoon on our cruise around the island we spotted a small board about 3” x 12” over near the peninsula. Turns out, it looks like it was marking a mooring. A small white bumper would be much safer.

There was lots of fishing going on!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ...fotsam & jetsum

Yesterday, I saw a couple of seriously big boats chuggn thru the Weirs' Channel. Could be they were cleaning out their wood stoves and just tossed the half-burned logs into the lake...lol...only kidding. Hey, one boat looked like a 50' Sea Ray, and the other one looked pretty much the same.......biggies.....like ocean going big with diesel inboards. Wouldn't want to wax one of those puppies!

Anyway, from Meredith Bay to Weirs Channel to Timber Island, all I saw was lots of water, zero debris, amd a few fishn' boats out trollin around.

Looking at the water guage at the Weirs' Bridge the water level is about 18" below a full lake. The Law of Averages says some big rain is on the way, so get your umbrellas ready to use!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote