Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Piston

Default Any last minute rental's out there???

My wife and I reserved a 22' pontoon boat with Bay Side in Alton Bay. I reserved the boat a little over a week ago now. I had to call from a satallite phone because I work on ships and didn't have access to a landline, so there is a long pause on the phone. Well when I called I explained this, and immediately they were getting aggravated with me for having a pause in my phone.
I was finally able to reserve the boat using my credit card and I asked a simple question about they're cancellation policy. As soon as I asked the question the gentleman I was speaking with handed the phone to the owner. He informed me in a rude tone that there was absolutely NO cancellation policy, which is fine, I was just curious...

We just got a call from Bay Side telling us that the boat won't be available for rent, when we asked why they said because there are 'engine problems'
I worked at a boat yard for 3 years and we never once had an engine problem that we couldn't fix in 2 weeks, even if we didn't have the parts on hand, and especially if it was a rental that was income for the boat yard.

So now we are stuck with a long weekend vacation to the lake with no boat? I called a few other places but no luck, one place had a 1992 18' boat they would rent for 250!

I hope this is just a single occurance with Bay Side and they don't treat all they're customers like this. I know I'll never be going back there.

Does anyone know of any last minute rentals available for pontoon boats over 21' or so?

Sorry for the rant!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Woodsy

Piston....

Call Bob over at Anchor Marine! They are great! I keep my boat there and he usually has plenty of rentals... tell him Woodsy sent ya!

603-366-4311

Woodsy

PS: I keep my boat there... great place, awesome staff!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
RamJet

Default Try Fays -

Try Fays -
http://www.faysboatyard.com/rentals.html
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Goodhue and Hawkins boatyard in Wolfboro are great people to deal with. Not sure if any are available, but They have plenty of rental boats.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Question Broken contract

Do you still want to go to the Bay Side, with or w/o another boat ? Seems to me their "no cancellation" policy got cancelled when they reneged on their part of the contract ... that is to provide you a boat.

Thurston's at the Weirs also rents pontoon (and other boats) ...

http://www.thurstonsmarina.com/Rentals.html

Some other marina info for you ...

http://www.weirsonline.com/boat_rentals.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Best of Luck

Piston,

That is too bad that the rental got messed up- good luck getting a replacement and have a great vacation
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
robmac

Give Shep Browns a call 603-279-4573
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
bigdog

Default Any last minute rental's out there???

Any places to rent a sailboat other than Fay's Boat Yard ?

Nothing against Fays', just looking for options !

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Piston

Default Got one.

We got one....sort of. Well we called around to a bunch of different places and eventually ended up with a brand new 24' Toon boat from Winnisquam Marine (rental not purchase). We've never boated on Winnisquam but I've always wanted to try it so we'll be trying something new. The folks over at Winnisquam that we delt with were extremely nice and very helpful. It was a complete different experience than we had with Bay Side.

One side question, it didn't say anything about not allowing dogs on rental boats but do you think they would mind us bringing our 3 dogs on the boat with us?
I'm not sure what the proper 'etiquette' for that is? I don't want to leave the dogs at the house for the day but I'm afraid to ask in case they say no

Thanks to all for your suggestions
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Most places that rent pontoon boats do not allow pets on board. To me, they should allow them with an additional cleaning fee as I do understand their issues with wet dogs and hair on the carpet, it's a bear to vacuum it out!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote