Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
dmjr

Default JoJo's Store

When is JoJo's going to be opening up this year? I heard a few days ago that it is going to be run by EM Heath Inc. Is this true?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
PaulT

Yes, they did sell to heath.

Not sure of opening day yet.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
hancoveguy

Okay, I like Heath's but I wonder if that will drive their prices up or make them somewhat more reasonable.
Any thoughts as to what effect Heath's ownership will have on the store? Any changes at all?

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
TomC

Default better prices?

you would think that the buying power of Heaths would allow better prices on groceries.

but - i think the prices are set by what the market will bear rather than a cost-plus-mark-up philosophy...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Subway down the road.

With a subway just down the street that has to have an effect on their business. It is hard to beat the $5 foot long for price and quality. In this economy many of us have given up on the mom & pops for places like subway cause you can spend half as much on a good meal.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
gus62

Yes Heath`s is buying JoJo`s although the sale is not complete as of today. Plans are to open Friday the 15th of April regardless of who owns it. Heath`s plans on keeping all of the staff except for Barb and Rus who are retiring and moving to florida once the transition is complete. Heath`s will not make any changes to the meat, Deli, sandwiches and service as JoJo`s has the best in the area. Pricing will be improved some although the overhead will be much higher for Heath`s than for the Beznoska`s. Heath`s plans on having specials thoughout the store and being more competitively priced on everyday items. I believe that Heath`s will continue a tradition with Lobster Sales and have one at JoJo`s this summer.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
MarkinNH

Well thats one way to control your local competition. Buy them out !
Now Heaths will have 2 stores were they can sell half rotten produce at ridiculously high prices.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
gus62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Well thats one way to control your local competition. Buy them out !
Now Heaths will have 2 stores were they can sell half rotten produce at ridiculously high prices.
As someone who is in a position to address your concern, I do take constuctive criticism as a way to improve the business. This concern will be addressed and no excuses will be given for having poor quality produce. One thing to consider when shopping at either store is that Heath`s is locally owned and has been a long time supporter of the local community. Heath`s buys and offers more local products than any other store in the area. Heath`s pays fair market value to your local farmers and understands their needs. Heath`s is buying JoJo`s not for the desire to control the local competition but to continue to keep a well established business local and continue to contribute to our local community.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus62 View Post
As someone who is in a position to address your concern, I do take constuctive criticism as a way to improve the business. This concern will be addressed and no excuses will be given for having poor quality produce. One thing to consider when shopping at either store is that Heath`s is locally owned and has been a long time supporter of the local community. Heath`s buys and offers more local products than any other store in the area. Heath`s pays fair market value to your local farmers and understands their needs. Heath`s is buying JoJo`s not for the desire to control the local competition but to continue to keep a well established business local and continue to contribute to our local community.
I would love to do more of my shopping with local business's, but I like many others have other bills to pay. Therefore we need to shop where our dollar will go the furthest and for the most part I can't do that at E M Heaths. That may change as gas prices continue to climb and it won't make economic sense to travel to competing stores with their better values. Unfortunatly as gas prices rise so won't the price's in all the stores including Heath's.
I would be very intersted to know who now owns E M Heath Super Market that is a local resident. I was under the belief that the Heath family sold off their controlling interest years ago and the store is now run by a board of directors. Maybe I am wrong and the Heath family still own the store or that the BOD's live locally.
Dont get me wrong. I still spend a fair amount of Money at Heaths Supermarket and don't plan on stopping, for the spur of the moment items, the milk, bread, cheese, the Hey, what do you want for dinner tonight stuff etc. and the meat sales are usually a good deal. (I'll be there this Wednesday)
I have given up buying most all my produce at Heaths due to the price and quality. One example that sticks clearly in my mind was only last summer. Strawberrys at a local compeitor were $4.99 a package the same package at Heaths was $7.99, half the strawberrys in the bottom of the packages at Heath's that I looked at were already fuzzy with mold. Needless to say I stopped at the competitor for my strawberrys.
E M Heaths IMO could take some lessons form the competitors on how they stock and handle their produce. A local competitor constantly monitors their produce and restocks as many times a day as needed to keep the supply fresh and easy to select. Heaths shove cases of produce into their cooler where it may sit for days and then half of it goes bad before it can get sold. That doesn't help the store or the customer.
One of the best things Heaths used to have was the little freezer next to the meat Dept. that had discounted items in it. Then they got rid of it. Why ? Now in it's place is a recipe dispenser that I know I have never used. If I want a recipe for something I just look it up on the internet.
I don't expect that owning or running a grocery store is easy and I am not purposly trying to bash Heaths, I am just expressing some observations that I and many others I talk to have experienced over the last several years.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
gus62

I don`t disagree with your fustration as we all are dealing with tough economic times and when you go to make a purchase you and I both expect to be able to get good quality for you money. Heaths will be working to correct these concerns. As far the the ownership of Heaths, yes there is a board of diectors. There has been since 1963 when they first incorporated with the state. About 95% of the company is owned by the Heath Family with the other 5% owned by some key employees (all local) myself included. Rick Heath is the only family member who is not involved with the ownership or operations of Heath`s. As you may or may not know grocery retail is a penny business. In other words the average profit in the entire industry is between 1/2% and 1%. Overhead and cost of doing business is what dictates the prices. It may surprise you that every store in the Moultonboro area buys from the same supplier at the same cost. Retails prices are different in every store set not by the cost but by what that business` overhead is. Same with the bigger stores. You must know that they have different prices in different stores. It doesn`t cost them any more it is that the overhead is different in each store. We at Heaths really appreciate the feedback from our customers and make every effort to fix the issues. The recipe Kiosk gets alot of use and has helped alot of customers that are looking for ideas and have not been out to the internet for research. The meat bin may return. We have been marking down the product with coupons and placing it in the case next to the fresher cuts also with the economic slowdown and the increased need of the food pantries we have been donating alot of that product to them to give to those in need. I hope this helps you in understanding that Heaths as an independent retailer really trys to do the right thing by our customers and neighbors.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gus62 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (04-10-2011), hancoveguy (04-10-2011), hazelnut (04-11-2011), jniff101 (04-11-2011), Lucky1 (04-23-2011), MarkinNH (04-12-2011), Natt (04-14-2011), Redwing (04-13-2011), Sunbeam lodge (04-17-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
NHKathy

Default I hope this all stays true.

Quote:
Yes Heath`s is buying JoJo`s although the sale is not complete as of today. Plans are to open Friday the 15th of April regardless of who owns it. Heath`s plans on keeping all of the staff except for Barb and Rus who are retiring and moving to florida once the transition is complete. Heath`s will not make any changes to the meat, Deli, sandwiches and service as JoJo`s has the best in the area. Pricing will be improved some although the overhead will be much higher for Heath`s than for the Beznoska`s. Heath`s plans on having specials thoughout the store and being more competitively priced on everyday items. I believe that Heath`s will continue a tradition with Lobster Sales and have one at JoJo`s this summer.
...because I LOVE JoJo's!!!! I hope nothing changes and that it is simply an unnoticed change in ownership. Although, I will miss seeing Russ at the store, as I so frequently did. I also hope they don't make any changes to any of the deli items. ie - I hope the potato salad at the deli stays made as it has been, and is not made like Heath's now because the place is owned by Heath's... ( I have no problems with Heath's store, I just really like the potato salad (and cranberry chicken salaad) at Jo Jo's and I hope they stick with that same recipe, or supplier)
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHKathy For This Useful Post:
mneck1814 (04-11-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
MarkinNH

Quote:
About 95% of the company is owned by the Heath Family with the other 5% owned by some key employees (all local) myself included.
That pleases me to hear that the Heath family is still invested in the ownership of the store, it pleases me even more to hear that some of the emplyees own a percentage.

Quote:
The meat bin may return. We have been marking down the product with coupons and placing it in the case next to the fresher cuts also with the economic slowdown and the increased need of the food pantries we have been donating alot of that product to them to give to those in need.
As much as I used to enjoy buying items out of the little freezer, I would actually prefer for Heath's to continue doing this, then to bring the discount freezer back so that people such as myself could paw through it looking for a bargain.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
fatlazyless

E M Heath's is easily the the #1 best supermarket ever in the world history of food!

Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 13 is their monthly "truckload meat sale" which has all types of steak and roasts at some very low prices.....worth the ride from anywhere....go check it out.

Another good item: Large Red Barron frozen pizza in three different styles for just $3.98......yum!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
E M Heath's is easily the the #1 best supermarket ever in the world history of food!

Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 13 is their monthly "truckload meat sale" which has all types of steak and roasts at some very low prices.....worth the ride from anywhere....go check it out.

Another good item: Large Red Barron frozen pizza in three different styles for just $3.98......yum!
Yup, can't argue with that. My flyer is sitting on the kitchen counter with little stars next to each item I want get some of. Bbq season is here and I just have to stock up on those Ribeyes. Yum Yum
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
MarkinNH

Well I stopped into Heath's this afternoon for a few necessities and discovered that most all the items on my "meat sale" shopping list were already sale priced and out in the freezers. So, I jumped the gun on tomorrows sale and stocked up on pckgs of Rib eyes (5), NY Sirloins (2), Strip steaks (1), Boneless pork ribs (3), Chicken qtrs (3), wings (not on sale)(2), Kielbasa (3), Bacon (3). I am in artery hardening barbecue heaven and all for $130.00
Now thats a bargain ! If I can find any room in our little freezer I will grab some more tomorrow.
Thank you E M Heaths for a great sale, your spring timing is perfect.
Now I need to check my propane tanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
songkrai

One large reason that the Jojo store was so successful was that there was an owner - a real person or persons. Oversight or management is crucial to the success of any endeavor. Good management that is.

Since there is no one owner of Heaths what will the management or oversight of JoJo's be?

Sadly, I forsee a potential decline of goods quality in the future of JoJos. I doubt that the Heaths consortium will hire and pay for a good manager. Heaths consortium does not have a good record in satellite stores. Grocery store in Meredith - gone. Hardware store in Meredith - gone. Stores in Ossipee - gone.

I do hope that Heaths can pull this one off and to keep JoJos the great market that it is.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
GsChinadoll

Default Blueberry Bread

I, for one will be happy if I can buy the blueberry bread, sold at Heath's, at JoJo's! It is THE BEST blueberry bread ever and if I could get the recipe I would be as big as a house!!!!! (I'd still like to have the recipe!)
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
TomC

Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
One large reason that the Jojo store was so successful was that there was an owner - a real person or persons. Oversight or management is crucial to the success of any endeavor. Good management that is.

Since there is no one owner of Heaths what will the management or oversight of JoJo's be?

Sadly, I forsee a potential decline of goods quality in the future of JoJos. I doubt that the Heaths consortium will hire and pay for a good manager. Heaths consortium does not have a good record in satellite stores. Grocery store in Meredith - gone. Hardware store in Meredith - gone. Stores in Ossipee - gone.

I do hope that Heaths can pull this one off and to keep JoJos the great market that it is.
I hope JoJos stays a top notch place as well. that said - on more than one occasion I have seen Russ "go off" on a customer and act in a way that I thought was way over the top..

I also recall a thread a couple of years ago concerning the alleged poor treatment of a maintenance person from Camp Tecumseh.

so the presence of an "owner" isn't always a guarantee of success.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #19
gus62

Quote:

You are right that management is crucial and Heaths has a top notch manager in place at JoJo`s. The first week he will be there in the mornings while he finishes his obligation to another employer then he will be there full time. His name is Bill. Stop by and meet him, I think you will like him. Barb and Rus will be working in the store through Easter to help with the transition. The stores you talk about especially Meredith (Super and Hardware) were good stores however problems with the landlord and the conditions of the building, rent and inferstructure were the reasons for Heaths leaving those locations. At the time Merchants owned the center and let it deteriorate. Heaths will work very hard to keep the quality up and will not change things things customers like about the store. Heaths plans on some improvements and I hope that the customers will like what we do.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
jniff101

Gus62- I just want to thank you for reassuring everyone that JoJo's will stay the same and at the same quality that it has been for years. Also, thank you for answering everyone’s questions so quickly and professionally. You seem like a true class act! I can't wait to get into JoJo's for my sub and spinesto salad!!!! I'm sure everything will be great! Oh and I love Heaths as well. I take my kids in there a lot and we are always greeted with a smile! My kids love going there are getting hugs from the cashiers!!!! I have no problem finding good deals there. Take advantage of their newspaper that they put in the bags to show you when the next deals will be available.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Newbiesaukee

Smile

We shop at both Heaths and JoJo's. When I want steak, the only place I get it is at JoJos. Can I rely on the same quality of meat? ( Or is it the same supplier and I just like picking it out from the case rather than the foam package?)

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
gus62

Thanks for the kind words. Bob (the meat cutter) at JoJo`s is still there and will still be using the same supplier and quality of product that JoJo`s is known for. The store is opening at 6:30 tomorrow morning. I hope you stop by to meet Bill and see Barb and Rus. (they will be there until Easter). I have worked hard directly with them to make sure Heath`s knows exactly who and what to buy in order to maintain the quality. Another FYI for all that will miss Barb and Rus or would like to congratulate them on their retirement Heaths will be having an open house at the store prior to them leaving for Florida. We will be handing out a flyer with the time and date at the store as soon as plans are finalized.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gus62 For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-14-2011), NHKathy (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
NHKathy

so will the Cranberry Chicken and the potato salads at the deli stay the same ??

PS - I'm heading up there on Saturday, hope to stop in & wish Russ & Barb a happy retirement!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
zoomgirl

My son had sent an application last Fall for employment this summer. He was told he would receive a call in March but never did and has been calling Jo Jo's with no luck getting thru to anyone. Who and where can he contact to inquire about summer employment. Thanks.
zoomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #25
gus62

Have him stop by or call the store now and ask for Bill. Up until now Rus has handled that as we didn`t know until a week ago who was going to be opening the store(Beznoska`s or Heath`s). I can`t promise anything other than Bill will be setting up interviews for positions that will be open.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
gus62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
so will the Cranberry Chicken and the potato salads at the deli stay the same ??

PS - I'm heading up there on Saturday, hope to stop in & wish Russ & Barb a happy retirement!
Absolutely! Same great staff, same great recipes! Enjoy and I`m sure Barb and Rus will be glad to see their customers and friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to gus62 For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
zoomgirl

Quote:
Have him stop by or call the store now and ask for Bill. Up until now Rus has handled that as we didn`t know until a week ago who was going to be opening the store(Beznoska`s or Heath`s). I can`t promise anything other than Bill will be setting up interviews for positions that will be open.
Thanks for your quick response!
zoomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
I would love to do more of my shopping with local business's, but I like many others have other bills to pay. Therefore we need to shop where our dollar will go the furthest and for the most part I can't do that at E M Heaths. That may change as gas prices continue to climb and it won't make economic sense to travel to competing stores with their better values. Unfortunatly as gas prices rise so won't the price's in all the stores including Heath's.
I would be very intersted to know who now owns E M Heath Super Market that is a local resident. I was under the belief that the Heath family sold off their controlling interest years ago and the store is now run by a board of directors. Maybe I am wrong and the Heath family still own the store or that the BOD's live locally.
Dont get me wrong. I still spend a fair amount of Money at Heaths Supermarket and don't plan on stopping, for the spur of the moment items, the milk, bread, cheese, the Hey, what do you want for dinner tonight stuff etc. and the meat sales are usually a good deal. (I'll be there this Wednesday)
I have given up buying most all my produce at Heaths due to the price and quality. One example that sticks clearly in my mind was only last summer. Strawberrys at a local compeitor were $4.99 a package the same package at Heaths was $7.99, half the strawberrys in the bottom of the packages at Heath's that I looked at were already fuzzy with mold. Needless to say I stopped at the competitor for my strawberrys.
E M Heaths IMO could take some lessons form the competitors on how they stock and handle their produce. A local competitor constantly monitors their produce and restocks as many times a day as needed to keep the supply fresh and easy to select. Heaths shove cases of produce into their cooler where it may sit for days and then half of it goes bad before it can get sold. That doesn't help the store or the customer.
One of the best things Heaths used to have was the little freezer next to the meat Dept. that had discounted items in it. Then they got rid of it. Why ? Now in it's place is a recipe dispenser that I know I have never used. If I want a recipe for something I just look it up on the internet.
I don't expect that owning or running a grocery store is easy and I am not purposly trying to bash Heaths, I am just expressing some observations that I and many others I talk to have experienced over the last several years.
I prefer Heath's for veggies over Hannaford. Buy what is local and it will be the freshest you can get that's not out of your own garden. All veggies have a short shelf life, you always have to be alert to freshness. The asparagus from I don't know where, were delicious last night. And strawberries out of season are always suspicious no matter where you get them. Again, wait and buy local. And by the way, Lakes Region Nutrition Center next to Hannaford, has great greens at a reasonable price.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
songkrai

Anyone know if Heath's group purchased the land and building? And any of the other land/buiidings next to JoJo's?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #30
gus62

Quote:
Anyone know if Heath's group purchased the land and building? And any of the other land/buiidings next to JoJo's?
Heath`s purchased the property that the Beznoskas owned as a package. This is the store and residence on the approx. 2.5 acres that they sit on.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #31
Irrigation Guy

Visited the store yesterday and had the same great chicken salad sandwich. Everything looked the same. Looking forward to another great summer! Thanks!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

One thing I do like about Heath's produce.......during the season they buy a lot from local farmers which none of the big chains do. They have organic veggies from the "Booty" farm and I've bought really nice peaches, plums, and several varieties of apples, all grown locally. Produce is one of the toughest products to handle because the shelf life is so short.
We like them at the VK because they grind fresh hamburger for us every day and they always accommodate, even on short notice.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #33
songkrai

I prefer shopping at Heath's grocery. I travel much and can shop at any of the big box stores. I prefer the quality of Heath's grocery.

Heath's employees are always friendly and helpful. And those that know Frank - well, he is a living legend and a famous movie/tv star.

Heath's has the best meat department. With real people preparing the meats. Not like some of the supercenter stores where the meat is prepared and packaged in Benton, Arkansas. Then shipped nationwide.

I do wish that Heath's would bring back Calo dog food. I do realize that Heath's is an IGA (I think) and obtains much from them.

I have been to that new store in Meredith across from Dunkin Donuts. The entrances and exits are atrocious and dangerous. I don't go in because it is too dangerous to get out.

And I don't find that the big box stores have cheaper prices. Oh, yes, yes, yes, one can find an item or two that in fact costs less. That's a fact. But calculate the cost of fuel and the savings diminish. And yes, if a big box store has more square footage well obviously more stuff can be placed on shelves.

But Heath's Grocery is just fine for me.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #34
fiddledeedee

Default I Love Heath's!

I totally agree! I love Heath's! I enjoy shopping in the smaller sized stores. Just because a store is smaller does not mean that they carry less. In my experience, the bigger stores carry a larger section of an item, but Heath's usually carries a larger variety of brands and sizes. I also like shopping at a store where I know the employees and the employees know me. It is so nice to feel "at home" in your store.

I totally disagree with Mark in NH on Heath's produce. I have found their produce to be nothing but top quality. I especially like how they carry such a nice selection of local items. How wonderful to be able to buy "farmstand" items without having to make any extra stops and how wonderful to be able to support the local farming community, unlike the large supermarkets. Produce is tricky because it is so highly perishable and that sometimes you can't tell that there might be a problem with an item until you cut into it. On the rare occasions that this has happened, John the produce manager is always happy to replace the item for you and is glad to have the issue brought to his attention. He is also great about ordering items for you on the off chance that he may not normally or always carry them.

I also love their meat department. They carry a nice variety of cuts and the quality is also excellent. I like that they carry a lot of marinated and ready to grill items during the summer months. Betsy the meat manager is also happy to prepare a special order for you and is very helpful when you have a question on how to cook a particular cut of meat.

We are lucky to have such a great locally owned and convenient grocery store and I for one am happy to have it and happy to support it by doing my regular shopping there.
fiddledeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #35
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
One thing I do like about Heath's produce.......during the season they buy a lot from local farmers which none of the big chains do. They have organic veggies from the "Booty" farm and I've bought really nice peaches, plums, and several varieties of apples, all grown locally. Produce is one of the toughest products to handle because the shelf life is so short.
We like them at the VK because they grind fresh hamburger for us every day and they always accommodate, even on short notice.
Now I know why your hamburger's are so yummy!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #36
jniff101

We were able to enjoy Jo Jos over the weekend. We got marinated chicken, spinesto salad, mmmmmm, macaroni salad and potato salad. Everything was exactly the same!!! So excited
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #37
NHKathy

Stopped in to JoJo's this weekend and saw Russ and wished him well on his retirement. He was very thankful for the well wishes!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #38
Floridian

Always have enjoyed shopping at Heath's and JoJo's. A few years ago, a cashier at Heath's rang up my deli cheese purchase as $34.00 instead of $3.40 (don't remember exact amount). Because of the amount of the bill, I didn't notice until I had returned to Florida. I contacted them, and they issued a credit to my card. Very nice people to work with, and they definitely treated a long-time customer right!

Who else remembers when JoJo's was McCormicks? I don't know if I'm spelling it right as I was just a kid back then, but my family always stopped there and we bought our penny candy for the weekend or week. Mrs. McCormick was always at the register.
Floridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #39
gus62

Default Open House at JoJo`s

On Friday night from 7 pm until 8:30ish?? we are having an open house at JoJo`s in honor of Rus and Barb`s retirement. Everyone is welcome to stop in to wish them well as they get ready to move to Florida. Refreshments and appetizers will be available. We hope to see you there!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
Soccer Coach

Default McCormick's

Floridian, I remember McCormick's. Worked at a summer camp for a number of summer's on the Neck Road, and McCormick's was an automatic stop on the way out. I remember there was no crushed ice in plastic bags back then. McCormick's had an ice house to the right of the store, with huge blocks of ice cut from the lake in the winter. Buried under a pile of sawdust. Chip your own ice and toss it in a bucket of water to wash off the sawdust, then into the cooler. All new to a Southern boy from North Carolina.
Soccer Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
Natt

I remember McCormack's as a little girl. My grandfather worked at Camp Winaukee and we always stopped there on the way in or out from camp. The road in was a lot different then too! Always had fresh veggies out front and anything a summer kid could want.
Natt's wife
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #42
Dave

Have things changed much under the new mangement?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #43
Irrigation Guy

Same place mostly the same familiar faces working there too, except the two obvious ones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #44
Redsoxlover

Default Subs

We have had the subs three times now and they are still the best around! Last year the bread supplier really shrunk the size of the baquettes making for very thin subs, this year more like what we are used to. They were delicious! If anyone has not tried them for sandwiches, meat, salads, etc it's well worth the trip down the neck.
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #45
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxlover View Post
We have had the subs three times now and they are still the best around! Last year the bread supplier really shrunk the size of the baquettes making for very thin subs, this year more like what we are used to. They were delicious! If anyone has not tried them for sandwiches, meat, salads, etc it's well worth the trip down the neck.
They have great subs!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
GTO

Default steaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Have things changed much under the new mangement?
We got the Filet mignon from there a couple of weekends ago. Same great quality as before...Best Filets around! Price even seemed cheaper than last year....maybe they should sell gas