Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Doggy Bags

On Saturday Night we had dinner at Mames. We were the last party downstairs in the dining room. I wanted my prime rib well done. The server said that it wouldn't be a problem. I had to send it back because it was only cooked medium. I only ate a small amount and then asked for a box to take it home. I did this because everyone was done eating. When we left the restaurant I forgot my doggy bag/box. I didn't even get into the car when I remembered that I had forgotten it. I went back inside and there wasn't anyone around. I checked the table where we had dinner and it was all reset. I yelled into the kitchen several times, but there wasn't an answer. I walked into the kitchen and the server we had was chatting on the telephone. I asked her where my food was and she merely shrugged. I called the owner, John Cook, on Sunday to explain the situation. He chewed me out for going into the kitchen. He said there is a liability issue. i explained that there wasn't anyone around downstairs. He also said that they do not have a policy on what to do about food that is left behind. I remembered when I waitressed ( we weren't called servers at that time) we would run out in the parking lot with food that our customers had forgotten. I think the food should be held for at least 10 minutes to see if the customer returns to get it. I was wondering what other forum members think about a situation like this?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (08-17-2011), Redwing (08-21-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
brk-lnt

I agree, a restaurant (or server) that wants to earn and maintain the preference of their customers would have handled the situation a little differently. I'd bet this happens at least 3x per night, so it's not like it's a completely out of the ordinary situation that they weren't prepared to handle.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

The owner chewed you out for going in the kitchen? If their doors are unlocked, he should have someone at the front of the house.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-10-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
chipj29

This is always a tricky situation for a restaurant owner/manager to handle. Unless they offer to give the person a full meal, the person is never satisfied. Face it, stuff happens. If you leave your doggie bag on the table it is difficult for the staff to put it aside for you.

Think about these possible situations
-you leave your doggie bag on the table. The staff member puts it on a counter in the kitchen with a note telling other staff to not throw it away. You return later on and the staff gladly returns the doggie bag to you. The next day you snack on it and get sick, because it was not kept refrigerated and it spoiled. Who then is responsible?

-same situation as above, except when you return you are given the wrong doggie bag. The next day you have a snack, and discover that this is not your meal. Your meal did not include nuts, since you have a severe nut allergy. The meal that you are now eating has the nuts. Now you are severely ill. Who then is responsible?
dpg (08-31-2011), NHBUOY (08-09-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
This is always a tricky situation for a restaurant owner/manager to handle. Unless they offer to give the person a full meal, the person is never satisfied. Face it, stuff happens. If you leave your doggie bag on the table it is difficult for the staff to put it aside for you.

Think about these possible situations
-you leave your doggie bag on the table. The staff member puts it on a counter in the kitchen with a note telling other staff to not throw it away. You return later on and the staff gladly returns the doggie bag to you. The next day you snack on it and get sick, because it was not kept refrigerated and it spoiled. Who then is responsible?

-same situation as above, except when you return you are given the wrong doggie bag. The next day you have a snack, and discover that this is not your meal. Your meal did not include nuts, since you have a severe nut allergy. The meal that you are now eating has the nuts. Now you are severely ill. Who then is responsible?
What about this scenario:

They come to clear the table, see you left the takeout bag there and make a reasonable effort to see if you are still in the parking lot and attempt to reunite the bag with its owner?

If you forget your leftovers and have left the property (not just the building), I wouldn't blame them for tossing it out. But if you forgot it for 45 seconds while you were walking out with your party, I don't think it's a stretch for the wait staff to try and grab you in the parking lot, at least not if they want to ensure they're leaving you with a good impression and a desire to return.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
What about this scenario:

They come to clear the table, see you left the takeout bag there and make a reasonable effort to see if you are still in the parking lot and attempt to reunite the bag with its owner?

If you forget your leftovers and have left the property (not just the building), I wouldn't blame them for tossing it out. But if you forgot it for 45 seconds while you were walking out with your party, I don't think it's a stretch for the wait staff to try and grab you in the parking lot, at least not if they want to ensure they're leaving you with a good impression and a desire to return.
I completely agree. They should want to make a good impression. However, not all staff are "wired" to do that.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
nerual721

Default Leaving your left overs

Let's face it... this happens all the time and restaurants should have a policy to deal with it. After all, you didn't come in with the 'to go' box, so forgetting to take it with you when you leave is not unusual.

At The Lyons' Den if there is even a thought that you might still be in the parking lot we grab the 'to go' box and bolt for the parking lot. I personally have gone all the way to the end of the public dock with a hat and a box of left overs. (I mention the hat because it isn't just left overs... people leave sweaters, hats, purses, phones, etc...) You can't put left overs in a 'lost and found' box - we put them in the frig, label them with the table number and they don't get discarded until the next morning... just in case. I don't think that it is asking too much to make this little bit of effort for our valued customers.
nerual721 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nerual721 For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-16-2011), jkjoshuatree (08-15-2011), kauriel (08-18-2011), Redwing (08-21-2011), riverat (08-16-2011), VitaBene (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
topwater

If you've learned anything on this board, one thing for sure is there is ALWAYS two sides to any situation. Maybe before you hang Mame's out to dry, someone might want to call mame's and get their side.
Its so easy to think you were only gone for a second, but when you get talking down at your car, time can slip by quite quickly without knowing it.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
If you've learned anything on this board, one thing for sure is there is ALWAYS two sides to any situation. Maybe before you hang Mame's out to dry, someone might want to call mame's and get their side.
Its so easy to think you were only gone for a second, but when you get talking down at your car, time can slip by quite quickly without knowing it.
Understood TW, but if you were a restauranteur in this area, wouldn't you monitor this forum? The OP called Mames and reported the outcome.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
NBR

I've been a Mame's customer for years and never had an issue of any kind. I would guess this is a rare issue.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Shore Driver

It's too bad to hear about a bad experience at Mame's. I would say in general, their waitstaff has turned over more in recent years than in the old days. You got a server who just didn't care.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
If you read the beginning of the thread you will see that I did call Mame's. Our vehicle was right outside the door.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-16-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
XJLPS

Default doggy bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
On Saturday Night we had dinner at Mames. We were the last party downstairs in the dining room. I wanted my prime rib well done. The server said that it wouldn't be a problem. I had to send it back because it was only cooked medium. I only ate a small amount and then asked for a box to take it home. I did this because everyone was done eating. When we left the restaurant I forgot my doggy bag/box. I didn't even get into the car when I remembered that I had forgotten it. I went back inside and there wasn't anyone around. I checked the table where we had dinner and it was all reset. I yelled into the kitchen several times, but there wasn't an answer. I walked into the kitchen and the server we had was chatting on the telephone. I asked her where my food was and she merely shrugged. I called the owner, John Cook, on Sunday to explain the situation. He chewed me out for going into the kitchen. He said there is a liability issue. i explained that there wasn't anyone around downstairs. He also said that they do not have a policy on what to do about food that is left behind. I remembered when I waitressed ( we weren't called servers at that time) we would run out in the parking lot with food that our customers had forgotten. I think the food should be held for at least 10 minutes to see if the customer returns to get it. I was wondering what other forum members think about a situation like this?
My wife and I were at the Northend in Moultonborough last Friday and a couple left their doggy bag on the bar, without hesitation the bartender ran out of the restaurant into the parking lot to find the patron who left the bag . I could see through the window they were very thankful for getting them the bag . Anybody who doesn't make an attempt to locate the party should not be in the service field . Im sure the patron at Mames left a gratuity , the owner should not be it the buisiness if he reacts like you did something wrong , when you paid for that meal that keeps his business going . I personally wouldn't set foot in that place !!
XJLPS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XJLPS For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-18-2011), RailroadJoe (08-18-2011), VitaBene (08-17-2011), Winnisquamguy (08-17-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

We left a 25% gratuity.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
RailroadJoe

Plus 9% state meals tax. That's 32% over the cost of the meal. Too much.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default In this case yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Plus 9% state meals tax. That's 32% over the cost of the meal. Too much.
...but not for a great night of good food, good company, and good fun.

Hopefully, someone from Mame's will see this thread, and PM GBB to make things right. A gift certificate would be nice.
NickNH (08-18-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
HOOVER

Default Doggy bags

Maybe she didn't like the tip you left ???
HOOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Pineedles

Quote:
We left a 25% gratuity.
She left a 25% tip Hoover! If you leave more, then I have to seriously think about changing careers. Please tell me where you eat and I'll give you a meal experience that is worth 50%.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Jmo77011

Default Late night?

Maybe it was because you were the last customers in the dining room? I know from my years (and years) in the business, that there are about 10 people waiting for that last party to pay and leave. You probably got an over-anxious busboy with plans after work. That would be my best guess, anyway.My parent's used to live next door to Mame's and we went there quite a bit. Always pretty good, especially up in the bar!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

I don't believe that Mame's has bus boys or girls. The server's bus their own tables.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual721 View Post
Let's face it... this happens all the time and restaurants should have a policy to deal with it.
Personal responsibility comes first. When visiting family after a stop at the grocery, the car keys go into the refrigerator, along with the produce from the grocery.

I plop my car keys on top of doggie bags.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

I wasn't driving- thus no keys to put on the doggy bag. Good idea though.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
NBR

Let me think. I forgot my doggie bag so it is the wait persons/resturants fault.
Not my fault has become a major part of the American Dream.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
Greene's Basin Girl

All I was saying is that I walked out to the car and realized that I forgot my doggy bag. I walked back in and they didn't have it. I think you are being a bit harsh. Were you ever a server??? I always felt my job was serving the customers. If they forgot their doggy bag I would try to bring it out to them. One of the problems with our society is that nobody cares about anyone else. I am glad you weren't my server. On second thought- maybe you were!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
Rolie

Default Doggy bag

GBG...with all due respect...you FORGOT the doggy bag....don't blame the waitress/server/bartender/cook/owner..... put on your big girl panties and accept responsibility without trying to blame others for your forgetfulness!!
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
GBG...with all due respect...you FORGOT the doggy bag....don't blame the waitress/server/bartender/cook/owner..... put on your big girl panties and accept responsibility without trying to blame others for your forgetfulness!!
I never got the impression she was totally denying responsibility.

The theme of the thread, to me, seemed to be "how would/should a server react or manage a situation when a customer has been forgetful?"

Yes, by an absolute definition, she abandoned her leftovers and the server was free to do whatever they wanted in that scenario. They chose to not go out of their way to try and make a bad situation into a good one, and this thread ensued.

If GBG had tried to claim that Mame's owed her $5 for the lost leftovers, then I would agree she was going a little too far.
Pineedles (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

OK ---you are win. I take full responsibility for my actions, but I still don't and I never will agree with the server's actions. This morning I was at the Sandwich Fair. A women bought something at a booth and then she walked away. The person that had sold the women the item realized that the buyer had forgotten another bag. The person from the booth got up and went after the girl to return her item. I think some of you would have kept the item for yourself. A little act of kindness can go a long way. In my opinion it is just the right thing to do. The situation is no different than mine. I purchased an item (food) and I forgot to take all of it. Shame on me. You are probably the same people that never hold open a door for a person or say thank-you to anyone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
dragonfly03246 (10-11-2011), jkjoshuatree (10-11-2011), Jonas Pilot (10-10-2011), kauriel (10-14-2011), Pineedles (10-10-2011), Redwing (10-13-2011), VitaBene (10-10-2011), Winnisquamguy (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
Rolie

Quote:
OK ---you are win. I take full responsibility for my actions, but I still don't and I never will agree with the server's actions. This morning I was at the Sandwich Fair. A women bought something at a booth and then she walked away. The person that had sold the women the item realized that the buyer had forgotten another bag. The person from the booth got up and went after the girl to return her item. I think some of you would have kept the item for yourself. A little act of kindness can go a long way. In my opinion it is just the right thing to do. The situation is no different than mine. I purchased an item (food) and I forgot to take all of it. Shame on me. You are probably the same people that never hold open a door for a person or say thank-you to anyone.
See, there you go again...EXPECTING an act of kindness...yup, it would have been nice, but he/she didn't do it. And you continue to rant that this person or persons didn't have your back in this situation. Your idea of what the restaurant staff shoulda/woulda/coulda done in this situation for whatever reason didn't become reality. Who knows why....was it closing time? Did she look out the wrong window and didn't see anybody to whom it belonged? Did she have to rush home to relieve a babysitter, or to a sick child or parent?
You accepted responsibility for your forgetfulness but your blame fingers are still pointed at others.
Casting aspersions toward those who don't agree with you that they would keep the items forgotten for themselves and/or are the type of people who lack courtesy is absolutely ludicrous and based on your EXPECTATIONS of others.
I had a friend who won the lottery for 126 million...yup..the big one. Now, don't you think that courtesy would dictate that he drop a mill or 2 in my pocket? He didn't...and i even held the door for him once!!
You may have put on your big girl panties be accepting responsibility, but they definitely need some further adjustment.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #29
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
See, there you go again...EXPECTING an act of kindness...yup, it would have been nice, but he/she didn't do it. And you continue to rant that this person or persons didn't have your back in this situation. Your idea of what the restaurant staff shoulda/woulda/coulda done in this situation for whatever reason didn't become reality. Who knows why....was it closing time? Did she look out the wrong window and didn't see anybody to whom it belonged? Did she have to rush home to relieve a babysitter, or to a sick child or parent?
You accepted responsibility for your forgetfulness but your blame fingers are still pointed at others.
Casting aspersions toward those who don't agree with you that they would keep the items forgotten for themselves and/or are the type of people who lack courtesy is absolutely ludicrous and based on your EXPECTATIONS of others.
I had a friend who won the lottery for 126 million...yup..the big one. Now, don't you think that courtesy would dictate that he drop a mill or 2 in my pocket? He didn't...and i even held the door for him once!!
You may have put on your big girl panties be accepting responsibility, but they definitely need some further adjustment.
Lighten up Rolie, having a bad weekend? And enough with the panty references.

BTW, we went to Canoe last week- my wife forgot her leftovers and our server ran out and caught us in the parking lot. Did we expect it? No, but it was a nice gesture.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-10-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (10-10-2011), jkjoshuatree (10-11-2011), Meredith lady (10-10-2011), Redwing (10-13-2011), WakeboardMom (10-20-2011), Winnigirl (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
Rolie

OK. I'll apologize if I offended anybody. I just have a hard time with somebody calling out another for something that they are clearly responsible for. I absolutely agree that the gesture to get the doggie bag to its owner is commendable. There are a few mentions of folks having that happened to them in this thread....indeed, it has happened to me on more than one occasion. I appreciated it too!
As somebody mentioned, there is another side to this story....not implying any untruthfulness by GBG, but none of us know "the rest of the story". Maybe they tried....maybe they didn't....maybe we'll never know.
Oh, and it was a fabulous BONUS summer weekend...if only the water was a little warmer...even though the kids didn't seem to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolie For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-10-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #31
dpg

I say why bother with a doggy bag my wife always forgets it anyway.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-20-2011)