Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts
Default Meredith Supermarket

Now that the town has confirmed that a store is going in to the old October Farm building....does anyone know who?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Please let it be

Market Basket!!!!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
imalocal

Where did you hear this?
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
phoenix

would love it to be market basket. Would save me time to not have to go to tilton
Old 06-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Pineedles

Default Market

Maybe Heath's will come back to Meredith?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalocal
Where did you hear this?
Its in this weeks copy of The Meredith News.
I've heard the building could become 1/2 grocery store, 1/2 Rite Aid or something like that.
This could be an ideal situation in the eyes of many who post on this forum.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
michael c

Default I already told you

Rite Aid bought all 38 brooks pharmacies and this will be a Rite aid....the other 22,000 + - feet are up for grabs
Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Mickomally

Provinding accuracy of both Michaels and the Meredith News comments on this subject (both of which I am inclined to believe) then the Meredith shopping Center will include Rite Aid, and a grocery store yet to be made public.
As far a grocers in the Greater New Hampshire area that I see as candidates they could be:
Hannafords
Market Basket
or A smaller entity
Shaws Already has an interest in Meredith (Jackson Star Market), and Trader Joes said "No Thanks" despite the lobbying by some members of this forum.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Between the competition from the Meredith Star Market, E M Heath's in nearby Center Harbor, and the super Wal-Mart 30 minutes away in Plymouth, why is another super market needed? Where are the customers? How could it succeed?

Probably, the Brooks (soon to be a Rite Aid) could do better in the empty retail space in the Province Commons opposite the Meredith Star Market, which is a terrific store..

How about an eight tenant mix; a Dollar Tree, a video rental, and a food court with subs & pizza, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Canadian and chocolate!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Mickomally

"Between the competition from the Meredith Star Market, E M Heath's in nearby Center Harbor, and the super Wal-Mart 30 minutes away in Plymouth, why is another super market needed? Where are the customers? How could it succeed?"

***Not to mention all of the places in Laconia and Gilford (which are MUCH closer than Plymouth. Yet, I think the population is enough to support a small-medium grocery store.

"Probably, the Brooks (soon to be a Rite Aid) could do better in the empty retail space in the Province Commons opposite the Meredith Star Market, which is a terrific store.."

***Rite Aid was in that location years ago. It closed and I doubt they want to revisit that decision.

"How about an eight tenant mix; a Dollar Tree, a video rental, and a food court with subs & pizza, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Canadian and chocolate!"

*** It's all about the rent. Smaller stores may have difficulty doing the volume needed to justify that rent, besides the population and competition argument falls into place here too.
Dollar Tree....didn't Wardo's just go out of business? (Though I hear dollar tree was approached a while back).
Chinese? There are at least 4 chinese places within 15 miles
Subs and Pizza? There are alot of those places in Meredith alone, not to mention the surrounding towns.
I doubt Indian and Thai cuisine would draw enough customers to justify the rent in thi location (besides if you want thai there is a place in laconia.)
A chocolate shop, theres 2 candy stores in Meredith, plus Kellerhause in the Weirs.

Anyways, there isn't much from the sound that can disuade the current tract in the minds of those with the power right now.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
beancover

Default Meredith supermaret

"How about an eight tenant mix..a Dollar Tree a video rental and a food court?"

Are you nuts? Do you not understand and appreciate where you live? This is not suburban Massachusetts - at least it didn't used to be. You are describing a mini mall. Is that really the best possible use for that space? Go to Gilford for your fix of fast food and surburbia. At least trying to preserve the unique character of Meredith is a noble cause. The town still has some semblance of a unique lake front community. Please try to realize how precious little there is left that remains untouched by franchises and corporate America.
beancover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
donnamatrix

Default Supermarket in Meredith

Good grief. Only sombody who doesn't do the weekly grocery shopping would ask why a store is "needed" in Meredith when Jackston Star and Heath exist. Egad. Both those stores are so overpriced it's laughable.I work in town and prefere to travel to Gilford to either Shaw's or Hannaford rather than purchase anything at JS or Heath. Heath has so few choices and pre-packaged fish. Yuk. For $9.91 you can get a rack of lamb at Hannford that will set you back $24 at JS... no thanks. I am thrilled another grocery store is coming to town. Amen.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
AC2717

Default Jackson Star

I agree with the overprice there! I have been in there a couple of times becasue my cousin has a place over in New Hampton, and I would stop along the way to bring something. All I remeber is them wanted over $15 for a lbs and a half of Sirloin tips last season. Not to mention the regular grocery items that are over price. this is the only one that stinks in my mind, I cannot think of the exact other items that they juiced me on. Now I go to gilford as well. Much cheaper and in most cases better quality. There is nothing wrong with a market basket going in. The only thing I would care about is if they make it look like a nice country store with the design and construction and landscape. They should take this into consideration, given the area.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancover
Are you nuts? Do you not understand and appreciate where you live? This is not suburban Massachusetts - at least it didn't used to be. You are describing a mini mall. Is that really the best possible use for that space? Go to Gilford for your fix of fast food and surburbia. At least trying to preserve the unique character of Meredith is a noble cause. The town still has some semblance of a unique lake front community. Please try to realize how precious little there is left that remains untouched by franchises and corporate America.
Very well put Beancover!
For me it's all about a way of life, and the type of community Meredith is. You're right, it is very special, and efforts should be taken to keep it that way.
I fear it may be a battle that cannot be won, but I am on your side on this one!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
Gavia immer

Dittoes, beancover.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

Last time I shopped at Star....Filet mignon was $17.95 lb......at Sam's Club it is 9.95. Actually,I find E.M.Heaths to be a much better deal.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
KTO

What I wonder is what a big supermarket would do to a small store like Heath's.

I work at Heath's, and my opinion is that the locals would continue to shop there becuase it is still a family-oriented place with the continuity of a small town market.

While the prices are expensive, it is still more convenient for people in the Center Harbor, Moultonborough area...so I don't think anything will happen.

I would buy some food items at this new place if it were a major chain just for the better deal.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote