Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
TimmyG

Default New to NH

My wife and I are new to NH. We just bought a boat and will be docking at Fay's. We would like some insight as to where to go/what to do on the lake. (Besides the obvious, fish, ski, etc.) When are the "busy" times, what areas should we avoid, etc...

Thanks
TG
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Timmy,

How big is your boat and what is your skill and comfort level with it? There are places that some boats should not be at some times. Give us more info so we can help!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
TimmyG

I have a 24' Bayliner. I just got it so I will learn the feel of it if the ice ever goes away. I used to have an 18' center console in CT. I will be comfortable with the boat, but I am looking for areas to avoid, for example during bike week.

TG
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
jrc

The most crowded time on the lake are weekends from July 4th until about Labor day. Weekdays are calm mostly all year. The busiest place is the Wiers in the bay and near the channel. Some of the narrow spots where a lot of boats go can be busy on weekends, either end of the Bear island channel, the spot between Timber Island and the Witches, and parts of Paugus Bay near the channel.

Bike week is crowded around the lake but not really crowded on the lake. You really shouldn't have any trouble getting to Fay's but getting to the Weirs by car or boat is troublesome those weekends.

In the spring and fall we like to vist the town docks. There are five town with free public docks. They are first come first served. You can dock and then shop or eat or just walk around. In the busy months this is tougher, as they fill-up fast and their is a wait on weekends.

In the spring and fall we like to troll for slamon and sight see. During warmer months we anchor in some quiet spot and swim or fish for bass. Sometime we raft with friends or just anchor close enough to swim together.

We will be neighbors.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
TimmyG

Thanks jrc for the info. I am hoping to meet all kinds of people. Do you dock at Fay's? How is Fay's reputation? I have a lot to learn about the lake, but am looking forward to it.

TG
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default 3rd year

Timmy...I was in the same spot as you three years ago. I have to say, at first the lake is overwhelming. Just too big to set out and explore. I found it best to sort of plan a day the night before with my chart, and set out the next day hitting a spot here and there. The best advice I can offer is to ask a lot of questions. Everyone is always ready to offer their advice as to the best places to dock, or their favorite place to throw anchor and relax. As time goes by, you will find your own niche. After three years, the lake seems so much smaller...easy to get around. But be careful not to become too comfortable too quickly. Lake Winni will stealyour prop when you least expect it. Rocks everywhere. Keep the chart in hand, and a good eye looking forward.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
VitaBene

Timmy,

As noted above, the Weirs Channel and surrounding area can be tough on the weekend. Your 24' boat can get awful small there (my 23'BR does). It is not the size of the chop it is the fact that is approaching from all directions. I stick to the relative calm of Moultonborough Bay until Sunday nights or when the lake clears after Labor Day.

Don't go out at night until you really know where you are and where you are going. Other wise you will be calling props-r-us!

Enjoy the lake- it is fabulous.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
NBR

Depending on your age you will most likely need a safe boating certificate.Fay's should be able to help you find a session. Remember "red right return" does not apply to NH inland waters. Failure to understand the navigation system will almost guarantee a new prop or lower unit if you have an outboard or I.O.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Kamper

The water is usually calmest before 10-11am and aftter 4-5pm.

In the broads the wind and traffic build the chop pretty good by 1-2pm. going towardsalton and Wolfeboro is ok because you are riding with the action. Coming the other way will be a bit bouncier.

Welcome!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
hazelnut

Default Good Advice

Timmy,

So much great advice has been given so far. I have to concur with t a common theme here. Take your time and take it slow. Winni can be overwhelming. It is notoriously one of the most difficult lakes to navigate. One individual gave sound advice that I think it would be wise to adhere to. Plan ahead, pick your spots, take your chart and take baby steps. It will make for more pleasant trips and fewer props. Most people you meet will be glad to offer tips. My family began coming to the lake in the late 70's early 80's. Admittedly there have been a few props lost along the way. One of the old sayings applies to this lake, "There are two kinds of boaters on Winni, those who have hit a rock and those who are going to hit a rock."

Welcome aboard.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Airwaves

One of the things I like to do is take the chart and explore the lake in sections, I'd never even heard of Greens Basin before I did this a decade or so ago and found the trip from Gilford to Greens a lot of fun and very interesting!

Be aware of the boats around you at all times when you are in the congested areas and you should be fine.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Dave R

A chart plotter and a Bizer chip of the lake are an excellent investment. The most crowded spots are pretty mellow at worst, due to the 150 foot law. IT's the rocks that'll getcha.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
pmj

You've gotten good advice here, Timmy. We sail and the calmest time on the lake is early morning and after 3PM. Definately get a chart. Bizers is a must.

We used to dock at Fays and its fine. The bathrooms are adequate . The piers are very close knit, especially in the "back alley". The Milfoil is terrible in the fall when the water levels go down, although I read about recent Milfoil treatment in Smith Cove. easy to get milfoil wrapped up in your prop, so watch that. Perhaps that will improve with the treatments. The chandlery people are very helpful.

Have fun!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
Do you dock at Fay's? How is Fay's reputation?TG
I used to dock at Fays. Very good place. Calm waters. Gas dock right there. Friendly people. Lousy parking.

I've been on the lake for years -- in small boats -- and have enjoyed cruising around the lake. Early mornings, and in the evening on weekends, though. We enjoy looking at all the houses, picking out the ones we will buy when we win the lottery. Docking in Wolfeboro or Merideth for lunch/shopping/boat and people watching.

The most enjoyable times are in the evenings, just before dusk. Very few people are out (even on the weekends); the lake is calm (when not windy); and everyone has lights on in their big houses. Lots of times you see the Mt Washington, or even better -- the Party Boat. But I recommend you get a GPS unit, and chart some safe courses in the daytime, store the tracks, and use those stored tracks to help navigate in the evening/at night. Also get a spotlight for your boat if you do any evening boating.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
jrc

I dock near Fay's. We live on our boat summer weekends. I heard good things about the people docking at Fay's. It looks and feels like an old-time marina. The millfoil in Smith's cove was treated last summer but it grows fast.

Do you plan to day boat or are you overnighting? I heard the showers and bath at Fay's were below average but I've never seen them.

All the other advice is good. If you have a bow rider, I would not cross the Broads on windy days. The good thing about Fay's, is the location. When you leave Smith cove you can travel to the Weirs, Meredith and around the islands even on windy days.

You should have learned the red and black hazard markers in the boating course. If in doubt slow down and follow the chart. There are lots of rocks just outside the markers. If you stay on the good side of the marker you will be fine. It's not as hard as it sounds but you can't cheat the markers.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Guy

Timmy,
My best advice...don't assume that the markers are always logical or intuitive. There are spots where you go between the markers and other where you go around them to the outside. The color system BEN, Black East North is sometimes just a little not exactly reliable. When I learn a new part of the lake or go to an unknown area I make sure I know which side of the marker I am supposed to be on by referencing the chart.

You will soon learn that following the crowd is not a 100 percent reliable.

Welcome and enjoy. Remember also that even on the busiest day, you can find areas that are not crowded.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #17
Phantom

Let me echo, and point up something Rattlesnake Guy just wrote which is VERY important.

When navigating the lake and you come upon a set of markers which are confusing to you ---- DO NOT simply follow a boat through assuming they "know" which was the right course !! Grab your Chart!!! As we all know too well, there are many boaters on the Lake "With an Angel on their shoulder".

With that said, keep in mind that the markers are "deep/safe water passage" guideposts. Placed where they are for a purpose.

As you become familiar with the lake , given the lake level, some really do not affect (relatively) shallow draft boats such as yours or mine (24' bowrider). A classic example of this is the waters basicly East / South East of FL#1 (where we dock) or said another way -- the waters to the right of FL#1 as you exit the Wiers Channell heading towards Goveners Island. But remember, only experiance will get you what we call "Lake Knowledge". Do not be embarressed to hold up & pull out the chart.

Enjoy the lake -- the greatest times we had as a family were "exploring" the various sections of the lake when it was all new to us (many, many moons ago - unfortunately).
Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
TimmyG

Default Good Advice

Thank you all. A lot of good tips. I have a lot to learn that's for sure. The Bottoms, the Witches, channels. My boat has an older Nav systems and I am assuming I can get it updated at Fay's Ship Store.

A note about Fay's, they are building a new shower/changing room near the service dock. I agree the parking sucks. But I got a slip, (#1) towards the end near the house on Varney point so it should be nice.

I hope to meet many of you. I haven't named the boat yet, but my wife is leaning towards Queen Mary. Anyone guess what her name is?

Thanks again.

TG
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #19
AC2717

Default Hmmm

Quote:
I haven't named the boat yet, but my wife is leaning towards Queen Mary. Anyone guess what her name is?

TG
I am going to go with, she is English, and her name Elizabeth

Hope to see you soon, once you name the boat let us know so we can look out for you
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
PC31

They do not call it the Granite State for nothing. Rocks lots of them!!

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:11 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC31 View Post
They do not call it the Granite State for nothing. Rocks lots of them!!
Eventually, I think we all find our own little piece of the Granite State. I have a trophy prop that doubles as a candle holder on my coffee table to remind me of mine. Please do let us know when you find yours.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #22
sa meredith

Default witches...

Quick way to lose a prop...
Drive by the witches when the water lever is down far enough to expose the main group of rocks in the center, and think "why not cruise in there real slow, just to get a good look". Who would had thought there were many other rocks lying just inches below the surface???!!!!
Bad idea to penatrate that circle at any point.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
GWC...

Quote:
Thank you all. A lot of good tips.

I hope to meet many of you. I haven't named the boat yet, but my wife is leaning towards Queen Mary. Anyone guess what her name is?

Thanks again.

TG
Queenie and her favorite drink is a Bloody Mary?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,006 Times in 916 Posts

You have gotten a lot of good advice about navigating the lake. A modern gps with the Bizer chart is a real help, but learn to use the paper chart 1st or in parallel. Last year Fay's did not carry a chart plotter that accepted the Bizer chart chip. I had to go to Irwin Marine to get a Standard Horizons plotter. The Bizer web site is at: http://www.bizer.com/jrindex.htm
and corrections are noted like the error on the chip as to light #26 that I reported. (You will soon know where #26 is).

Our boat has been in the same covered slip at Fay's for about 20 Years. Jeff fay takes real good care of the boat and remembers every repair ever done on it. We have been happy there as Island residents need a reliable long term situation. Yes the parking at Fay's is an issue.

Bike week is quiet on the lake (well boat traffic wise). July and August weekends on the lake suck, IMHO. A lot of boat traffic that don't care about the rules. Other than that, the rest of the time is fine. Sailboat races off Welch island most of the season on Thursday evenings.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
Gatto Nero

One place that is not nearly as well marked as the witches, but potentially as bad, is just west of marker #84, on your left about a mile before you enter Center Harbor. There are several minefields of shoals just under the surface in that whole area that are not individually marked. If you're not paying attention to your chart it's very easy to be caught in the middle of it before you have any clue. I've done a lot of snorkeling that area and found a fair number of other people's trophy props. Once I saw and heard a boat hit out there so I went out to check on them with the jet ski. They had lost their entire lower unit so we had to tow them in. For any of you Chevy Chase fans, it turns out that it was the Griswold family, on "Vacation" no less.

Last edited by Gatto Nero; 03-27-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Gatto Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
sa meredith

Default true story...

Several years back, my sister and brother and law had the entire lower half sheered right off their boat. Their I/O instantly turned into an I/ , at close to full throttle. Think about that. If the rock were inches higher they would have eaten the windshield. The way the story goes (and both parties agree) was they cruising along, my sister, with chart in hand suggesting they make a quick stop as they were in a part of the lake she was not familiar with, and wanted to be sure to find the safest passage. However my brother in law assured her, "no problem, as long as we stay clear of the markers". Oh! I guess you're supposed to pass them on the correct side. Turns out those colors mean something.
I think he took a pretty good beating duing the tow in.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
One place that is not nearly as well marked as the witches, but potentially as bad, is just west of marker #84, on your left about a mile before you enter Center Harbor. There are several minefields of shoals just under the surface in that whole area that are not individually marked. If you're not paying attention to your chart it's very easy to be caught in the middle of it before you have any clue. I've done a lot of snorkeling that area and found a fair number of other people's trophy props. Once I saw and heard a boat hit out there so I went out to check on them with the jet ski. They had lost their entire lower unit so we had to tow them in. For any of you Chevy Chase fans, it turns out that it was the Griswold family on "Vacation".
I often wonder why that area has no name. We have "The Witches", "The Graveyard", "Split Ledge" and "The Middle Ground Shoal". I think the area around #84 needs a name like "New Prop Rocks" or something.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #28
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I often wonder why that area has no name. We have "The Witches", "The Graveyard", "Split Ledge" and "The Middle Ground Shoal". I think the area around #84 needs a name like "New Prop Rocks" or something.
Maybe we should have a naming contest and petition to have the winning name printed on the next version on the Bizer chart.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

How about inproper shoals?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Maybe we should have a naming contest and petition to have the winning name printed on the next version on the Bizer chart.
Great Idea.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #31
GWC...

How about:

FLL's playground

or

prop-be-gone zone

or

glacial speed bump zone
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #32
Phantom

Dave R ..... If the area is where I think your describing - You are indeed correct about the "hidden treasures" that exist. It is also a very family oriented & popular "sand bar" where we have anchored for numerous years now (unfortunatley getting more and more popular as MP occasionally cracks down on Braun Bay). Everyone I know refers to the area by one of two names ........ Patrician Shores (not technically accurate, but so be it) or Farrar Point.

It actually gets perversly funny to be anchored there.... our favorite spot.... and inevitably on a week-end someone passes by and you can just envision the converstion......... "Hey, look at all the boats anchored over there -- Let's go check it out honey" ......... WRONG !!

I am forever amazed at the number of boats that go through that minefield unscathed. As with Dave R, I have been out there numerous times on a jet ski to scout the area out. The all time best was when a good sized "cruiser" made it. Curious, I assisted this cruiser as it anchored at the sand bar .... asking politely if he comes here a lot -he responds "No, it's our first visit ....... (and so on)...... Your kidding, there are rocks out there". The moral I guess is even with all that fancy electronics --ya still have to turn it on and more importantly interpret what it's showing you. Personally, I like the reliable paper chart (and I do have a GPS aboard which is invaluable at nite).

Thus, as I posted in another thread ...... I am firmly convinced that there are way too many boaters out there "with an Angel on their shoulder"
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #33
Gatto Nero

Maybe we should call it Angle's Shoulder Shoals.

It was very typical, when I lived near there, to watch cruisers go through that area while headed to and from that sand bar on any given weekend. We all used to stand on the dock and watch in amazement as most made it through. Although none of us that knew the area would ever do what they did, we came to figure that they must either be very knowledgeable and confident in what they were doing or completely clueless and extremely lucky. I'm still not sure which is true.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #34
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Dave R ..... Everyone I know refers to the area by one of two names ........ Patrician Shores (not technically accurate, but so be it) or Farrar Point.
[/B]"
I've always known that area as Patrician Shores.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #35
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
One of the things I like to do is take the chart and explore the lake in sections, I'd never even heard of Greens Basin before I did this a decade or so ago and found the trip from Gilford to Greens a lot of fun and very interesting!

Be aware of the boats around you at all times when you are in the congested areas and you should be fine.
Air,

If you are making that trip you are doing well. That is a tough part of the lake, but much quieter! No large boats really - the graveyard can be tough.

I am going to look into the Bizer GPS - I have a Garmon 200WS- low endish , but it will work I think.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Air,

If you are making that trip you are doing well. That is a tough part of the lake, but much quieter! No large boats really - the graveyard can be tough.

My first time "solo" on the lake I decided to challenge myself and go from Alton Bay to Lee's Mills/Greens Basin. This was prior to having a chartplotter. It was pretty exciting and made the rest of the lake seem pretty easy. With my chartplotter, it's a piece of cake to go up there. I'm comfy doing so at night. It's a completely different lake in that area. I have heard Georgian Bay on Lake Huron is similar (and about a thousand times bigger). I plan to check it out some day.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
jeffk

Default Time Management

Quote:
My wife and I are new to NH. We just bought a boat and will be docking at Fay's. We would like some insight as to where to go/what to do on the lake. (Besides the obvious, fish, ski, etc.) When are the "busy" times, what areas should we avoid, etc...

Thanks
TG
Welcome to the big Lake Tim.

There’s been a lot of good boating advice but when you want a break from the water or are getting hungry and want to put into port for a bit, thinking ahead can pay off. The town’s docks are very busy on summer weekends and sometimes midweek as well. If you don’t mind floating around waiting for an open space just drop by whenever you want. However, if you want to get in with a little less fuss consider arriving early or mid afternoon to miss the lunch crowd. We find that getting into Wolfeboro or Meredith around 10:30 and browsing the shops for an hour or so and then grabbing lunch works really well. If you’re a late lunch group wait until 2:00 (although some restaurants may not be open).

I am assuming you are familiar with New Hampshire’s unique navigation marking system and boating laws and rules that are not that common as well. (If you are not, I’m sure everyone here would be HAPPY to educate you) Be prepared for a certain percentage of boaters to be guilty of BI, Boating Incomprehensibly. Unfortunately some fall victim to “Lake Fever” and just go wild (please resist the urge to join them). Just give yourself some extra time and room and boat defensively and you should be fine.

Finally, advice on navigating the Graveyard, don’t bother. I have been up on the North end of the lake for 14 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I have taken my boat through there. Just go between Melvin and Chases islands instead. It’s plenty wide to go through on plane, even in traffic, and no rocks to worry about.

The Lake really is close to "Heaven on Earth". Have a great summer.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #38
Weekend Pundit

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks
TG
I think I can safely echo what most of the folks here written, but I'm going to add a few comments of my own.

I rented a slip from Fay's the past 2 years and for the most part it was a positive experience. They always treated me well and were helpful when I needed a hand. If I had any negative experiences it wasn't with Fay's or their personnel. More often it was with one of the other boaters, one or two which had really bad attitudes. (I won't go into any detail as I'm sure that others have had similar experiences at other marinas and clubs.)

The only reason I'm not renting a slip this year is the missus (Secretary of the Exchequer) told me that if gas prices were going to be as bad as some folks were predicting, we would either have to cut back drastically on our time on the lake or find a less expensive place to dock our boat. So we made the move. Even though the slip we found in Lakeport is less expensive, it's not nearly as convenient Fay's (which is only 5 minutes from our house), which is definitely a minus.

There are indeed some times you'll want to avoid heading out onto the lake, primarily mid/late morning through late afternoon/early evening on Saturdays and Sundays.

One of the places we like to go is the east side of Stonedam Island. It's a decent place to anchor and do some swimming. We usually anchor in the little cove near the public dock on Stonedam. While there can be traffic through there it's not nearly as bas as some other areas of the lake.

Many of the other places mentioned by the others are great places to kick back and relax.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #39
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
My first time "solo" on the lake I decided to challenge myself and go from Alton Bay to Lee's Mills/Greens Basin. This was prior to having a chartplotter. It was pretty exciting and made the rest of the lake seem pretty easy. With my chartplotter, it's a piece of cake to go up there. I'm comfy doing so at night. It's a completely different lake in that area. I have heard Georgian Bay on Lake Huron is similar (and about a thousand times bigger). I plan to check it out some day.
Great solo Dave! When you look at a chart of the lake just the # of bouys from Green's to the broads are amazing compared to the rest of the lake.

The chartplotter sounds great- I am going to try the Bizer program for my GPS.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #40
secondcurve

Timmy:

JeffK had a good piece of advice regarding the Graveyard. Avoid it! I boated the last 3-years, about 50 hours a year, and lost one prop in the Graveyard at the beginning of year two. I still think the rock was unmarked. Fater that, I got a chart plotter with a Bizer chip and it has been a piece of cake since then.

My nugget of advice is to run with an aluminum prop until you are real comfortable with the lake. Hitting a rock with a steel prop is a real downer.

Good luck!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
Airwaves

Quote:
Quote:Vita Bene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves

Air,

I am going to look into the Bizer GPS - I have a Garmon 200WS- low endish , but it will work I think.
I still use paper charts, haven't gotten around to buying a GPS yet, maybe if I did more ocean boating I would but I prefer the paper.

The only thing I don't like about the paper charts (both of them) for Winnipesaukee is that unlike in years past the charts are continued on both sides of the paper and it seems like every time I need to refresh my memory about markers they are on the transition between the two sides!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #42
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Bizer shows the lake on one side of the paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
The only thing I don't like about the paper charts (both of them) for Winnipesaukee is that unlike in years past the charts are continued on both sides of the paper and it seems like every time I need to refresh my memory about markers they are on the transition between the two sides!
I share your dislike for the need to flip over to another side of a chart or map.

I have the latest edition (7th) of the Bizer waterproof, folded chart of Lake Winnipesaukee and it shows the entire lake all on one side. On the back is a ton of useful information.

The 5th and 6th edition of the Bizer maps also had the whole lake on one side. I don't remember the earlier editions and don't have the time to look for mine.

Click HERE for the Bizer web site.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM   #43
Phantom

Airwaves--I had to laugh at your post (it hit home). A number of years back I too had bought the plastic map ..... thinking space, convience, rigidity (blowing around while underway) etc etc ........ Being quite experianced on the Lake (but no ones perfect) every time I'd want to double check with the map ---- I too found my location "in the gap".

Since then ....... and a trick for all ...... we're back to the full sized, one sided map and we leave it folded and attached to clipboard in such a way that it's in the areas that we are most likely going to refer to it. For us that is up and around Moultonborough Bay. If not, it's usually a simple refolding job.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #44
Dave M

I found the same problem as Phantom did, went back to the full size map and folded to the section I needed using a clip board also. This was years ago but I found the two-piece laminated smaller and I thought the fold was along the length of the lake. If so, wouldn't it be better to take the full size map and have the fold across the lake, the crease would then fall on the broads and the edge of Cow Island and the land on both sides. Just a thought.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #45
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
I have the latest edition (7th) of the Bizer waterproof, folded chart of Lake Winnipesaukee and it shows the entire lake all on one side. On the back is a ton of useful information.
Thanks AL
I was at Irwin in Hudson at the beginning of last season looking to update my chart, they had both the Duncan and Bizer and told me that both versions were continued onto both sides of the chart.

I'll take another look because I'm still using an old Duncan laminated that is on one side and I'd really like to update it.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #46
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default The Prop-B-Gone Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
How about:

FLL's playground

or

prop-be-gone zone

or

glacial speed bump zone
Gosh! A year on the forum and already you guys are naming a section of the lake after me! A dubious honor to be sure, but I guess infamy is where you find it.......
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #47
Orion

Default another name....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I've always known that area as Patrician Shores.
When we rafted there in my father's boat in the the early Sixties, it was known as Chapman Sands. Anyone else remember that name?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #48
kjbathe

Timmy - Welcome to NH and the Lake. I hope you find as much enjoyment here as we have. As folks above have mentioned, a paper chart is key and there's none better than Bizer's. When getting started, following Bizer's recommended routes will give you plenty of water under the prop while you start to explore. I would say it's more important to learn the lake visually and with the chart than relying on the GPS to start.

When you're ready to start exploring other areas of the lake there is no shame in going slow and having someone sitting in the bow on rock patrol. Asking others for advice on how to navigate new/tricky areas is always encouraged. Assuming that others know what they're doing and blindly following them is never a good idea. After all, they might be in their first season, too, yet to understand what all those colored sticks mean.

We also like to hit the town docks around the lake, but try to avoid the peak hours. Many visitors to the lake like to converge in the Weirs and Meredith or do the boat parade in the channel. After sitting in traffic all week, I don't know why they want to spend their weekends sniffing boat exhaust, but they do. There's a lot of "good lake" on the other side of Welch and Bear -- that's where we spend our time. Although I must admit that Church Landing in Meredith is one of my favorite spots on the lake. As is getting ice cream by boat at Liliuokalani's.

While under way, always remain conscious of where you are on the water. When getting started, the morning light and the afternoon setting sun can make the same portions of the lake look quite different, or make the buoys harder to spot. I have at least one "holy crap" moment each season and last season's came in the Graveyard. I thought I was on a sufficient course as I was approaching the buoys, but when I looked over the side and saw the bottom of the lake eagerly smiling back up at me, that was it. It looked like like more than buoy had been prop-lunch that day, so I tend to "go around" more often than not now.

Which is another good point -- sometimes nav aids are not where they're supposed to be. This could be due to ice early in the season or Capt. Bonehead running them over later in the season.

Finally, we've been at Fay's for years. Admittedly, it's not the most glamorous looking facility on the lake, but when we evaluate the whole package -- location, access to the broads, services, personnel, relationships -- there's no other place we'd rather be or team we'd rather have supporting our boating. They'll take good care of you and you'll have a great season. In fact, I hope Steve is "making water" right now to help get this season kicked off.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #49
hazelnut

Default Report

Timmy,

I am sure that I am not alone in wondering if you took delivery of your boat? If so I'd love to hear about your experiences on the lake for the first time.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #50
PC31

X2 How did it go?

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote