Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default New boat insurance

Looking for a good boat insurance coverage on a new boat. Has anyone had experience with Boat US insurance policies? Is there others that you might recommend?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default State Farm

Many, myself included until I sold mine, use State Farm insurance.
Never had a claim or a problem but I also paid the extra money for replacement coverage. If my boat was ever lost I got the value of it when purchased instead of depreciation value.
Good luck
chasedawg (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default Progressive

Got mine through Cross Insurance (Munsey and Brasille sp?) in Laconia. Previously had it on my old boat as an attachment on my HO policy, also through this agency (thy have it all)...It was cheaper than the attachment, broader coverage, and no navigation period to worry about....ie, I can be in the water before April 1, and after Oct 31, for example.
chasedawg (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
AC2717

Travelers has one of the best stand alone boat policies out there in NH
especially with the agreed amount value on the boat so not to worry about depreciation. Rates are great as well, my price has been flat for the past 6 years

Last edited by AC2717; 03-14-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: correct statement
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC2717 For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
chasedawg

Default New Boat insurance

It is amazing the differences in quotes I have received for a $60 K coverage. They range from $186 to $751 per year. They all have the same terms. Total loss purchase value replacement or $60K. Any one have experience with Progressive or BoatUS?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,383 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
It is amazing the differences in quotes I have received for a $60 K coverage. They range from $186 to $751 per year. They all have the same terms. Total loss purchase value replacement or $60K. Any one have experience with Progressive or BoatUS?
We switched from Boat US to Progressive for three of our boats. It was unbelievably less money.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Coverage and value

Not only there is a difference in value, there is a difference in coverage. You may also want to know where the appraisor is from. My neighbor had to wait two weeks for an appraisor from Conn. !

I had MetLife who was excellent until they stop underwriting boats. I switched to AARP (Hartford) and I am extremely happy with the claim service. The appraisor lives on the lake. I called around and for the coverage and price, the competition can't beat AARP.
chasedawg (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
AC2717

on the difference in premium amounts
it is very important to get the quotes in hand to make sure it is truely apples to apples coverages
liability, property damage, uninsured and underinsured coverage, Coverage for the boat itself and the terms and deductibles what is covered and what is not covered.
then also additional coverages already added into the policy that you are not getting charged for whereas others might charge you if they have to add it on if they will at all

cannot stress enough on a boat policy important to compare side by side

one very important coverage to consider is pollution coverage. Those bills/fines from the EPA or the state can be extremley expensive
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
boat_guy64

Default Progressive

I use progressive and was concerned when their price was $400 less than the policy that I had prior. However, I was on a sinking boat a few years ago and that all changed. It was a brand new boat and my friend had Progressive Insurance. Progressive was fantastic. They paid for everything. The search, the recovery and the boat. Their service was absolutely fantastic. I was very impressed with them during the whole process.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Travelers has one of the best stand alone boat policies out there in NH
especially with the agreed amount value on the boat so not to worry about depreciation. Rates are great as well, my price has been flat for the past 6 years
Travelers is the worst insurance company I ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
I had them for business insurance, I will not go into details but to say a call to the BBB straightened it out. They were 100% in the wrong.
I now stay away from them and Melcher & Prescott Insurance.
As someone mentioned Munsey and Brazil are my business provider and they have been great to deal with.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Progressive

I too use Progressive and have for the past 5 years. While the only way to really judge how good a company is when a claim is processed, I have never had any claims (knock on wood!). It's nice to hear others that have progressive have had good a good experience when a claim was filed.

I can say this about them, the rates have never changed since we had them and they always had the best rate when compared to other quotes.

FWIW;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
tis

That is good to know, boat guy. We have never had a claim either.

I always compare apples to apples, often giving them my dec pages. Who cares if they know the old price. If they can beat it great. I only change after my current carrier says they cannot give me a better price.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
DEJ

Default Fitts Insurance

Give Fitt's Insurance a shot, http://www.mypolicy.com/
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

I have had State Farm boat insurance for as long as I can remember. They have been great with any boat claims. I believe it is year round coverage also- not like some policies.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I have had State Farm boat insurance for as long as I can remember. They have been great with any boat claims. I believe it is year round coverage also- not like some policies.
GBG most policies are taking into account the boat being pulled or stored for the winter months. So yes you are covered but in a lot of cases not the same coverage as if it were in the water being used.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post

I too had State Farm for several years. Just now did I realize that I was paying much more than other insurance companies. Their quote to me yesterday was over $700 apples to apples coverage. Others were less than $300. BoatUS was the lowest and they have a standard coverage that includes EPA issues with spillages. They will cover you up to $845,000 for any environmental damages at no additional charge.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Default Progressive is year round in water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
GBG most policies are taking into account the boat being pulled or stored for the winter months. So yes you are covered but in a lot of cases not the same coverage as if it were in the water being used.
I specifically asked, and then verified the contract when I received it. There is no suspension of navigation coverage in my policy.

You are correct, BR, and is another item that needs to be scrutinized when buying boating insurance. It would be a shame to have a loss on Nov 3rd if the boat had the suspension clause ending in-water coverage on Oct 31st, and was stilll in the water on the 3rd. And don't listen to someone that tells you as long as you are moored at the dock, you are covered past the suspension date as long as you don't take out the boat. I had a person tell me that .
Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
codeman671

I have used boat us for years and have always felt them to be aggressive. I have also used global marine in the past. They do some of the more unique stuff, like my airboat. Their website is www.quotemyboat.com. Markel is the carrier.

Boat us does not require surveys which is nice. A lot of carriers are starting to require them, especially on bigger stuff.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-16-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
Diver Vince

Just bought a new Cobalt..Insured through Cross Agency; carrier is Progressive. We all love Flo don't we?
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Ride & Dive

IMO don't worry about what others say, contact your marina and ask them who they recommend. In the end you want a provider who they have worked with and are happy with filing claims through.
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default Bogus statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
IMO don't worry about what others say, contact your marina and ask them who they recommend. In the end you want a provider who they have worked with and are happy with filing claims through.

The marina is going to give you info on whoever they deal with while statements on this forum cover a wide variety of companies both good and bad and the experiences people like yourself have had with them.
Why would you narrow your search to the recommendation of what one marina says?
Asking a marina is a good idea, but to take their recommendations to the bank may not be such a good idea.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Looking for a good boat insurance coverage on a new boat. Has anyone had experience with Boat US insurance policies? Is there others that you might recommend?
If your boat is stored at your home and you don't have boat coverage from 10/31 until 4/15 and something happens during that time you can put it through your homeowners insurance.I have never done it but know a few people that have. I have Sea Safe which is basically Geico.Never had to put any claims through them in the 11 years I have owned the boat.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Default Not entirely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
If your boat is stored at your home and you don't have boat coverage from 10/31 until 4/15 and something happens during that time you can put it through your homeowners insurance.I have never done it but know a few people that have. I have Sea Safe which is basically Geico.Never had to put any claims through them in the 11 years I have owned the boat.
When I worked for General Accident Ins. Co, we wrote boat policies with a navigation policy in force, 10/31 to 4/1. Any damage occured during that period was covered by the policy, unless it was in the water. A boat stored on a trailer, on blocks, or in a marina dry dock area had full coverage, subject to the standard exclusions less deductible. If it was in the water and had any damage, zero coverage.

Our Homeowner policy would cover the boat out of water subject to the exclusions of personal property, and a deductible, which often times was higher than the deductible on a boat / yacht policy.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
AC2717

Quote:
Travelers is the worst insurance company I ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
I had them for business insurance, I will not go into details but to say a call to the BBB straightened it out. They were 100% in the wrong.
I now stay away from them and Melcher & Prescott Insurance.
As someone mentioned Munsey and Brazil are my business provider and they have been great to deal with.
I can appriciate that with the business insurance, without going into the details.

On the Boat insurance side, I had a claim a couple of years ago while hitting a large piece of timber in the lake, up and running in two days and never saw a bill, for the tow, or the marina, and just had one phone call with Travelers to report it. Marina reported no problems with them either

it is all within a comfort level of what you like for coverages, agent, and history about the company, no one truely knows how a carrier will react to a claim until it hits, and it is a case by case sitution. Trust me I am not defending them in anyway, just putting it out there as a FYI

That is why it is really important to compare coverages and also exclusions on the policies to see where the best fit will be
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Default Aaa

Anybody have experience with AAA for their boat insurance? I just requested a quote, but haven't heard back as of yet. The only other I requested was with BoatUS which seemed very reasonable.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Belmont Resident

Default And don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
When I worked for General Accident Ins. Co, we wrote boat policies with a navigation policy in force, 10/31 to 4/1. Any damage occured during that period was covered by the policy, unless it was in the water. A boat stored on a trailer, on blocks, or in a marina dry dock area had full coverage, subject to the standard exclusions less deductible. If it was in the water and had any damage, zero coverage.

Our Homeowner policy would cover the boat out of water subject to the exclusions of personal property, and a deductible, which often times was higher than the deductible on a boat / yacht policy.
Any claim on your homeowners policy almost certainly mean a higher premiums as soon as the policy renews.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
jrc

For some, Progressive Insurance is off the list for reasons not related to their insurance coverage. If you don't care about politics, then ignore this post, else you can search for more info.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
For some, Progressive Insurance is off the list for reasons not related to their insurance coverage. If you don't care about politics, then ignore this post, else you can search for more info.
I do not know the details but a very well known auto body repair shop in Belmont has a sign listing a few insurance companies, it also says that if you have one of these companies then you are responsible for the cost of repairs and getting reimbursed from your insurance company. Progressive is one of those on the list.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #29
AC2717

Quote:
Any claim on your homeowners policy almost certainly mean a higher premiums as soon as the policy renews.
Untrue - when you have a loss you loose what is known as a loss free credit that is already given to you when you issue the policy. It is taken away when there is a loss
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
upthesaukee

Default Actually it is partially correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Untrue - when you have a loss you loose what is known as a loss free credit that is already given to you when you issue the policy. It is taken away when there is a loss
I agree that if you have a loss and have a loss free discount, you may lose it, and this will result in the premium going up by the amount of the discount.

Even without the "loss free" discount, most insurance companies look at a loss as the reason people buy insurance. While there are many reasons for a company to cancel a policy because of a loss(es), most reasons involve a frequency of losses in a relatively short period of time (3 yrs usually), losses that use the policy as a maintenance policy (often combines with the frequency issue), and losses caused by an insured failing to take reasonable care of the property to prevent damage.

Most companies have at least two tiers of premiums for personal policies, a standard company and a preferred company. When their underwriting criteria suggest cancelling a "preferred policy"and terminating the relationship with the insured, rather than cancelling a policy totally, they may offer a policy in the standard company. This will result in a higher premium for a similar policy. Sometimes the preferred policy will contain some perks that are not available in the standard policy, or may only be obtained / continued for an added premium.

As a side note, I have to laugh when I see auto insurance ads on TV that say you can save $xxx, usually hundreds, when you switch from ABC company to ??? company. The savings are usually when they switch from a high risk pool or a policy that has had surcharges on them to a policy that no longer has the surcharges. We would find people changing in the middle of their policy year to save hundreds from their existing to a new one from us...the reason: the experience period for the violations and accidents had expired (again a 3 yr lookback) and we could no longer use that info to decline a policy. Ah, the joys of insurance underwriting.

Back to getting new insurance. Good luck.
AC2717 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
robmac

I have used State Farm for 20 years now and the 2 times I needed to use them no questions other than how much do we need to write the check for. I have house cars and boat on one policy so I save from multi line multi vehicle which makes for a lower premium. Agent has been great over the years and when I bought my current boat which was a steal they just asked where I came up with the value sent them nada pricing and it was done. My 2 cents
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Greene's Basin Girl

I agree. I have great luck with State Farm. I have used them for 5 years. They are a hassel- free and efficient company.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Thanks for the explanation....my friend had a tree fall on his and ruined the boat it was a total loss.They gave him a check on I believe book value no questions asked. That's where I was getting my info from.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #34
Happy Gourmand

BoatUS definitely comes in lower than others for some pretty decent coverage that includes towing.
Does anybody have any claims experience with them?
I have 3 houses with State Farm, so far they are more than double BoatUS.
My vehicles are with Met Life, their quote os pretty much in between the other 2.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
Happy Gourmand

Ok...seems like it will be between BoatUS or Progressive. I hear of experience with Progressive.....but how about BoatUS?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #36
codeman671

I have not had claims with boatus but know of others that have, and have had no issues. Just make sure, as with any policy, you get agreed value coverage. Depreciation can kill you on a claim.

My 2011 premier with a 250 pro xs was only like $225 a year for everything.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
Ms Molly McKever

Default Boat us

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Ok...seems like it will be between BoatUS or Progressive. I hear of experience with Progressive.....but how about BoatUS?
Just got my 2013 renewal policy from boat US. The cost with the same coverage as 2012 is up 15%. I called an asked why ? The underwriting person said all policy are up about 15%. Bad winter you know !!!!
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
dt5150

^^ progressive did the same thing to me years ago with car insurance. they nearly doubled my rate, and when i called to ask about it, i got the same response you did. needless to say i didn't renew that policy. i haven't done business with them since, and won't in the future knowing where their political support and donations go.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
Rich

I'm looking at insurance too at the moment.

I did get quotes from BoatUS and Progressive (and am checking with my homeowners too).

One thing that BoatUS highlights is that their coverage includes almost $854K in 'Fuel and Other Spill Liability" coverage. I don't see this highlighted or mentioned in other policies.

Given the nature of how things are these days, this sounds important to me. I you have an accident, or just a bilge problem (say an oil leak and your bilge pump activiates), I imagine that it could cost you a lot in fines and clean up fees.

Does anyone know if this is important or just propoganda to get you to buy BoatUS coverage? If I remember, I asked my insurance agency last year (same as my homeowners) if they covered such things and they said they didn't have a specific clause about it. I don't know if this means they would cover it, or not. Possibly they would up to my liability amount (which is a lot less than this).

Right now my quote from Progressive and BoatUS is about the same dollars (within $200, but BoatUS is less, but they have different deductbles, which I have to go and revisit).
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
tis

We had our biggest boat with Boat US and ended up getting that plus two smaller boats covered with Progressive for less than we were paying for the one big boat. You just have to check around every couple of years if you want the best price.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #41
Rich

I did some more homework on insurance.

It still seems like my homeowners company (a company related to Liberty Mutual) has the best deal and prices. Last year on my older boat, they charged me $170 for the year, where everyone else was around $450 to $1100, I was so shocked at the difference that I had to tripple check their price and coverage.

This year I'm pricing a newer boat and they came in a $300 to over $400 less expensive than the others for same coverage.

One thing I got clarified is what BoatUS calls 'Oil and other spill liability' coverage. My company says that they include a separate 500K coverage line for this. This is over and above the normal liability coverage.

So considering that BoatUS wanted a VERY HIGH deductable included with their online quote my insurance was less expensive, and for $10 includes $1,000 of towing coverage (per incident, their standard coverage is $500 per incident included for no extra cost) vs the BoatUS $34 option.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #42
Happy Gourmand

I went with BoatUS. Interesting how the different companies are all over the place in their pricing. I have State Farm on 2 homes, and Metlife on another and they were both much higher than BoatUS.
Also, BoatUS is a Berkshire Hathaway company, so I am also contributing to my retirement by placing my insurance with them!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #43
upthesaukee

Default Actual Cash Value vs Stated Amount in case of a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I did some more homework on insurance.

It still seems like my homeowners company (a company related to Liberty Mutual) has the best deal and prices. Last year on my older boat, they charged me $170 for the year, where everyone else was around $450 to $1100, I was so shocked at the difference that I had to tripple check their price and coverage.

This year I'm pricing a newer boat and they came in a couple of hundred cheaper than the others for same coverage (I'll note that Progressive was by far the most expensive).

One thing I got clarified is what BoatUS calls 'Oil and other spill liability' coverage. My company says that they include a separate 500K coverage line for this. This is over and above the normal liability coverage.

So considering that BoatUS wanted a VERY HIGH deductable included with their online quote, my insurance was less expensive, and for $10 includes $1,000 of towing coverage (per incident, their standard coverage is $500 per incident included for no extra cost) vs the BoatUS $34 option.
Rich, one thing that I would be concerned with is whether you have Actual Cash Value (what is the value of the boat at the time of the loss, which is cost new less depreciation) or is it based on a Stated Amount (the Insurance Company agrees to insure the boat for what the boat is worth at the time of the policy purchase, usually backed up by an appraisal, bill of sale, or in accordance with a "blue book" value).

Saving a hundred bucks or two in premium can pale if a substantial loss payment is reduced by the ACV provisions in the loss payment section of your policy. Also, are you subject to the "named perils" of a Homeowner policy vs all risk..
Rich (05-03-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
Rich

I appreciate your concern, yes I'm getting "Agreed value" quotes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-10-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
Rich

I did a little more homework on this. It seems the homeowner's boating policy doesn't have named perils, but has named exclusions:

Quote:
EXCLUSIONS
We will not pay for:
1. Loss caused by your or a family member’s intentional act.
2. Loss to your covered watercraft which occurs while it is:
a. rented to others;
b. used to carry people or property for a fee;
c. used for any business pursuit; or
d. used in any illegal transportation or trade.
3. Damage caused by or resulting from:
a. wear and tear;
b. smog, humidity, mildew and mold;
c. gradual deterioration of any kind, including, but not limited to, weathering, rust, corrosion, mold infestation or rot;
d. dock rash, marring or scratching; or
e. mechanical, electrical or structural breakdown or failure.
This exclusion (3.) does not apply if the damage results from the total theft of your covered watercraft. Damage caused by or resulting from freezing, thawing and extremes of temperature is covered, but only up to a limit of $500.
4. Damage caused by any manufacturing or latent defect. However, any resulting loss or damage will be covered.
5. Loss due to or as a consequence of:
a. discharge of any nuclear weapon (even if accidental);
b. war (declared or undeclared);
c. civil war;
d. insurrection; or
e. rebellion or revolution.
6. Loss from or as a consequence of the following, whether controlled or uncontrolled or however caused:
a. nuclear reaction;
b. radiation; or
c. radioactive contamination.
7. Loss due to destruction or confiscation by governmental or civil authorities because you or any family member engaged in illegal activities.
8. Loss due to theft, attempted theft or conversion of your covered watercraft:
a. by you, a family member, or any resident of your household;
b. prior to its delivery to you or a family member; or
c. while in the care, custody or control of anyone engaged in the business of selling your covered watercraft.
9. Loss to your covered watercraft resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest, stunting activity or in practice or preparation for any such contest or activity. However, this exclusion does not apply to the use of a sailboat in any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest, or in practice or preparation for any such contest.
10. Loss sustained while your covered watercraft is used as a permanent or primary residence.
11. Loss to your covered watercraft for diminution of value.
12. Damage caused by insects, animal, vermin, rodents or marine life, other than an impact loss to your covered watercraft.
13. Damage that occurs because your covered watercraft is not in seaworthy condition.
To me this all looks reasonable, perhaps except for the $500 limit on freeze damage?

Hmmm... they exclude the loss due to the discharge of a nuclear weapon, wow! If this happens, I think we will all have a bigger problem than wondering about our boat insurance coverage!

Does anyone else have a policy that has better (or less) exclusions? I think this is a standard for NH coverage, I don't know if the state has rules about these sort of things?

I wonder what others like BoatUS have for exclusions?

Last edited by Rich; 05-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #46
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I did a little more homework on this. It seems the homeowner's boating policy doesn't have named perils, but has named exclusions:

To me this all looks reasonable, perhaps except for the $500 limit on freeze damage?

Hmmm... they exclude the loss due to the discharge of a nuclear weapon, wow! If this happens, I think we will all have a bigger problem than wondering if about our boat insurance coverage!

Does anyone else have a policy that has better (or less) exclusions? I think this is a standard for NH coverage, I don't know if the state has rules about these sort of things?

I wonder what others like BoatUS have for exclusions?
Thanks Rich - that gave me a good laugh (nuclear).... I'm really curious why that's in there.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #47
Rich

Since I'm doing my homework, I thought I would share it with the rest of the class (don't tell the teacher).

Here are BoatUS exclusions:

Quote:
Boating Liability:
Exclusions:
We do not provide liability coverage for:
A. bodily injury to a family member or damage to property owned by a family member;
B. bodily injury to a named insured or damage to property owned by a named insured;
C. liability which has been assumed by an insured under a contract or agreement, or any breach of contract; however, we will cover an insured’s legal liability for bodily injury or property damage assumed under a written boat storage or slip rental contract or agreement for the insured boat, subject to the limitations outlined in Coverage B, Boating Liability, Limit of Liability;
D. bodily injury or property damage arising out of the transportation of the boat or trailer on land;
E. bodily injury or property damage arising out of an insured or other person parasailing or kite skiing from an insured boat;
F. bodily injury or property damage caused by or resulting from an intentional act of an insured;
G. any claim for punitive damages; or any fine, penalty or costs of defense arising out of a criminal or civil violation of law or assessment by a governmental authority;
H. injuries for which benefits are required to be provided by the insured or which are available to the injured person under any state or federal compensation law or act regardless of its source; or,
I. cost of the containment, clean-up or resulting bodily injury or property damage or assessments related to the discharge, leakage or spillage of petroleum products, chemicals, bacteria, viruses, mold or other substances of any kind or nature.

Medical Payments
Exclusions:
We do not provide Medical Payments coverage for:
A. responsibility assumed by an insured under any contract or agreement;
B. anyone who is injured while the boat is being transported on land;
C. injury to a trespasser on the boat;
D. anyone while the insured boat is engaged in parasailing or kite skiing;
E. an insured’s employees or a paid captain or crew; or, injuries for which benefits are required to be provided by the
F. insured or which are available to the injured person under any state or federal compensation law or act regardless of its source.

Personal Effects:
Exclusions:
We do not provide Personal Effects coverage for loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by: wear and tear, gradual deterioration, mechanical or electrical failure or disturbance, corrosion, dampness, temperature changes, obsolescence, vermin, animals, or mysterious disappearance. This insurance does not cover currency, jewelry, furs, china, silver, valuable papers, documents, consumables, antiques, collectibles, personal watercraft or other boats.

Uninsured Boater:
We do not provide Uninsured Boater coverage:
A. for claims settled without our written consent;
B. if the uninsured boat is owned or operated by a governmental agency or employee;
C. for boats owned by or furnished for regular use by you, any family member, or any person insured by this policy;
D. for anyone using the insured boat without permission; or,
E. when the boat named in this policy is being chartered; or
F. where no evidence of physical contact exists between the insured boat and an unidentified boat, or where no evidence of physical contact exists between the insured boat and an uninsured boat.

This coverage will not apply directly or indirectly to the benefit of any insurer under any state or federal compensation law or act.

Fuel and Other Spill Liability:
Exclusions
We do not provide any coverage under this section for:
A. liability which has been assumed by an insured under any contract or agreement;
B. liability arising out of the transportation of the boat or trailer on land;
C. liability caused by or resulting from an intentional act or willful misconduct of an insured; any claim for punitive damages; or, any fine, penalty or costs of defense arising out of a criminal or civil violation of law;
D. liability arising out of the discharge, emission, spillage or leakage of any radioactive material or substance of any kind; or,
E. liability for bodily injury.

War, Seizure, Nuclear Exclusion
We will not pay for any loss or damage resulting from:
A. radioactive contamination or nuclear reaction;
B. war (declared or undeclared), civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, or any consequence of these; or
C. capture, seizure, arrest or detainment of the boat by any governmental power or authority, whether lawful or unlawful. In the absence of unlawful activities, however, we will pay for any property damages to the boat or its equipment caused by United States governmental authorities.

Racing Exclusion:
We will not provide any coverage for powerboats while engaged in any speed race or test. We do cover predicted log cruises or similar competitions and sailboat racing.
I need to read more, but it seems that BoatUS has some freeze coverage (important in NH) if you get their "Premier Package" and some other things, but a slightly higher deductable ($300 more), and cost is $100 to $200 more (I have to do some more comparing to be sure).

Until I do a more fine print comparison, now it looks like BoatUS is starting to come ahead.

[I hope I'm not boring anyone sharing my findings as I make these comparisons]

Last edited by Rich; 05-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #48
Happy Gourmand

Wow. I didn't do that deep a dive, but after comparing 3 or 4 companies, I went with BoatUS.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #49
bigdog

Default New boat insurance

Been with BoatUS for many years, they seem the best cost and their customer service dept. is great.

Of course, I've never had a claim, I guess that's when you really see how good your insurance company responds.....

BTW, contacted BoatUS about jet ski insurance, they were high.
Went with Progressive, nobody could come close to their pricing.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #50
Rich

These policies can be quite different after you read some fine print and call to get clarifications.

My homeowners policy is a little less expensive ($100 to $300 per year), depending on exact options used with BoatUS. But it includes up to $500 coverage for freeze damage (to me nothing on a boat costs as little as $500, so this is essentially no freeze coverage). I didn't call yet to see if they have an option to include more freeze coverage. Imagine the costs if an engine or outdrive wasn't properly winterized!

BoatUS has a slightly higher deductable, and costs a little more.

However, BoatUS has a 'vanishing deductable' program, where your deductable is reduced each year of no claims, until it's gone. Also if you get the BoatUS Premier Protection Package option (at a cost of $50), it give you two things:
1) Freeze damage up to your policy limits
2) Eliminates depreciation on things like outdrives and engines that normally can kick in after the items are a few years old.
3) some other benefits
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #51
AB_Monterey

We use Progressive. But, we've never filed a claim.

I do have to say that extolling the benefits of an insurance company when you've never filed a claim is basically saying that they're really great at cashing your check.

Last edited by AB_Monterey; 05-06-2013 at 07:57 AM.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote