Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,732 Times in 827 Posts
Default NJ Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums...

This certainly caught my attention and I thought it would be interesting (and disturbing) to users of this and other forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ A1327
This bill would require an operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish, maintain and enforce a policy requiring an information content provider who posts messages on a public forum website either to be identified by legal name and address or to register a legal name and address with the operator or provider prior to posting messages on a public forum website.

The bill requires an operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.

In addition, the bill makes any operator or Internet service provider liable for compensatory and punitive damages as well as costs of a law suit filed by a person damaged by the posting of such messages if the operator or Internet service provider fails to establish, maintain and enforce the policy required by section 2 of the bill.
That has to send a chill through forum operators in NJ.

If this law applied to this site, which it doesn't, I would be forced to require your legal (does that mean verified?) names and addresses and release them to anyone who thinks something "false" has been said about them.

I can't imagine this passing or being constitutional and if Peter J. Biondi was my Assemblyman I wouldn't be happy with him.

Here's the whole bill (link from drudgereport.com):
NJ Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums...
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Inquiring minds want to know

#1 - OK so who here is from NJ ?
#2 - and is willing to publically admit to it ?
#3 - If I say something bad about a Jersyite, will "Tony" come up here and "whack" me ? Or does Mr Biondi get a swing ?
#4 - Did Mr Biondi have a blonde moment and forget federal law exempting service providers from what's "said" on their service ?
#5 - How will this effect the forum mercenary business ? Better yet can I hire a forum mercenary to say something bad about Mr Biondi ?
#6 - How about requiring the aggrieved party to file (?win?) a libel suit before releasing personal info about the poster ?
#7 - What's the next bill from Mr Biondi - requiring the supermarket to catalog IDs of anyone putting up cards on the bulletin board ?
#8 - Where does this bill originate from ? My guess is some upset politicians from the same party ... http://www.freedomforum.org/template...cumentID=15574
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
islandAl

Default what is this world coming to?

To hold the "internet service provider" liable is just wrong.

How would the ISP know that the name and address is a true "legal" name and address. I do not have a problem with having mine known by the ISP, but how does the ISP know for sure that I am who I claim to be.

But the item I see as the most troubling is "allow any person to request and obtain the legal name and address". After they get the courts permission and that person is notified and has time to present an opposing reason not to make it know to that individual.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Cal

My name IS Cal and I'm from NJ (not that I'm proud of it or even care to admit it)
Number one , we DO have some STUPID laws , almost as bad as HR162
What's the difference who sez what , anonymously? If everyone is anonymous , it's not truly known who a person is talking about.
I guess the problem occurs once people have met somehow and actually know who somebodies talking about.

Myself? I don't really give a flyin' fig one way or the other , but that's just me
Old 03-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

How the heck does one verify everyones actual name and address on a forum?Do I have to bring my Id to the webmaster in person?How else could one verify I'm not someone else?I do think that posters would be more responsible in some of their posts and eliminate some of the slandering misinformation that can be put out there.But HuH ??? P.S. Cal,I'll give you a pass on the Jersey residency cuz you seem to have NH values.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Cal

Thanks SIK
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default It's really easy, the ID thingee, that is

It's really simple ... You just have to have your driver's license or other state issued picture identification card, along with any one of the following: Birth Certificate, INS naturalization certificate, Current Green card, a current electric bill showing your current address, or a Walmart Frequent Shopper card. You hold these up to the monitor (make sure you have the front of the documents facing the monitor) so that the Webmaster can see the information and record same.

See, it really works

Uptha Saukee

West Alton marina

Alton Bay Mexico 23tn876
Old 03-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
gtxrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
#1 - OK so who here is from NJ ?
#2 - and is willing to publically admit to it ?
#3 - If I say something bad about a Jersyite, will "Tony" come up here and "whack" me ? Or does Mr Biondi get a swing ?
#4 - Did Mr Biondi have a blonde moment and forget federal law exempting service providers from what's "said" on their service ?
#5 - How will this effect the forum mercenary business ? Better yet can I hire a forum mercenary to say something bad about Mr Biondi ?
#6 - How about requiring the aggrieved party to file (?win?) a libel suit before releasing personal info about the poster ?
#7 - What's the next bill from Mr Biondi - requiring the supermarket to catalog IDs of anyone putting up cards on the bulletin board ?
#8 - Where does this bill originate from ? My guess is some upset politicians from the same party ... http://www.freedomforum.org/template...cumentID=15574
I also live in New Jersey. "I'm from Joyzee, you from Joyzee? What exit?" SNL quote.

Watch what you say remember the Sopranos is filmed here. Now thats reality TV! You may be sleeping with the fishes.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default Another "Joizey-ite"

I'm from Joizey also. Exit 156. Funny - CAL, gtxrider and I are all from NJ (gtxrider is my brother), and we all work or worked for Ma Bell. We all spent our youth (pronounced "Yute" in NJ) at Sandy Point, and we would all rather be in NH. We could have a Forum Fest in NJ for those who can't make it to the Weirs during the off season. Jersey Girl and Dave 35 live within 15 minutes of me. Maybe we should have a forum fest south?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
Skip

Exclamation Bill on ice for now....

Assemblyman puts bill on ice while seeking legal advice, overwhelmed by internet response to his bill:

New Jersey Lawmaker puts internet bill on hold

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I'm from Joizey also. Exit 156. Funny - CAL, gtxrider and I are all from NJ (gtxrider is my brother), and we all work or worked for Ma Bell. We all spent our youth (pronounced "Yute" in NJ) at Sandy Point, and we would all rather be in NH. We could have a Forum Fest in NJ for those who can't make it to the Weirs during the off season. Jersey Girl and Dave 35 live within 15 minutes of me. Maybe we should have a forum fest south?
Gail , you forgot Glen Steely is also from Jersey and the last corespondence I had with him , he had even moved to my town which is only 1.9 sq miles.
Haven't seen any post from him lately