Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Strawberry Patch in Wolfboro

Two thumbs down to the Strawberry Patch. Today was the single worst restaurant experience my family has ever had in the Lakes Region.

We arrived around 10:30 to what looked like a line of a couple of groups of 4-6 people waiting to be seated. Typical summer weekend. We were told the tables were turning soon and the wait would be only a few minutes. 30 minutes later we were seated. Ok, no foul there since the wait staff can't always judge those things. We ordered promptly. 45 minutes later a 4 top, seated long after our table of 5, gets their food. 15 minutes later (yes, an hour after being seated), our food finally is delivered. The chocolate chip pancakes that normally nearly cover the plate are only 3-4 inches wide. My "heavenly hash" - hash with eggs on top and then covered with cheese sauce was disgusting. The sauce had the color and consistency of brown mustard. - it was spread, not poured on the eggs. Seriously? So we complained about the painfully slow service and the mini pancakes and asked for some kind of discount on the meal.

When the waitress told this to the owner behind the grill, he said a number of things for all to hear:

1) We're busy. They're aren't getting a discount. If they don't like it they don't have to eat here.

2) He then said we must be Democrats (apparently for suggesting that some form of compensation was due). Wow.

He did send us one additional pancake after hurling these insults at us.

Now I did work for a lot of years in my youth at restaurants ranging from dishwasher, sandwich line cook, and waiter at two fine restaurants (French service, tux's, the whole bit). I know how hard the business is. I know what it's like to get in the weeds on a very busy day. This wasn't that. A breakfast place has to be able to quickly turn out quality plates. That's the business. The prior owner, Tammy, did a great and consistent job at that. Today the kitchen was simply a train wreck. And the owner really doesn't get that his is a service business and keeping customers happy is a key part of that. A simple apology and a small cut on the bill would have preserved a long time customer. But no.

So after 25+ yrs of making the Strawberry Patch a frequent weekend breakfast destination, we will never be back. So, no, Mr. Owner, we don't have to eat at your restaurant.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote