Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Little Bear

Thumbs down Focus on the bigger problem - wakes

WMUR is reporting that a tragic accident in the Connecticut River was caused - among other things, by the rescue boat hitting a wake from a passing boater. "Investigators said that when the boat returned with Yates and an additional firefighter, it struck the wage (sic) from a passing motorboat."... "If the boat was larger, if she was placed in a different place, if there had not been a wake," Hathaway said."
http://www.wmur.com/news/11128705/detail.html

This was a bad situation gone worse, but the fact is that a boat wake started the chain reaction. While the cry goes out by the kayakers, WINNFABS and the rest of the feel good crowd against go fast boats, the biggest problem remains the huge wakes caused by the big cruisers. Every day these monster waves cause property damage to the shorefront, boats, and docks, and may also be causing injury to swimmers and people being thrown around their 18' bowriders when they hit these monster waves. The fact is that the go fast boats are not making these huge waves and are involved in few accidents. I can tell you that I personally fear the huge cruiser waves, but don't worry one bit about the fast boats. Where is the outrage from WINNFABS about these huge cruisers compromising safety and destroying their quality of life? If they complained about this, I might actually lend credence to their argument about safety, but all they want is to get the fast boats off of the lake.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
Where is the outrage from WINNFABS about these huge cruisers compromising safety and destroying their quality of life? If they complained about this, I might actually lend credence to their argument about safety, but all they want is to get the fast boats off of the lake.
This will be the next goal if they finally get their speed limit through. They won't stop until we are all running 4 stroke pontoon boats, sailboats and kayaks.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
This will be the next goal if they finally get their speed limit through. They won't stop until we are all running 4 stroke pontoon boats, sailboats and kayaks.
How right you are codeman. It's a slippery slope back to the "On Golden Pond" era. On the other hand I wish they would do something about those hooligan ducks that call Winnipesaukee their home. I'm really tired of them spreading their duck itch around...
Old 02-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
How right you are codeman. It's a slippery slope back to the "On Golden Pond" era. On the other hand I wish they would do something about those hooligan ducks that call Winnipesaukee their home. I'm really tired of them spreading their duck itch around...
Fish and Game wishes we'd buy more licenses, hunting is on the decline... 12GA is pretty effective duck itch prevention.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Rayhunt

Thumbs up Here Here

Quote:
WMUR is reporting that a tragic accident in the Connecticut River was caused - among other things, by the rescue boat hitting a wake from a passing boater. "Investigators said that when the boat returned with Yates and an additional firefighter, it struck the wage (sic) from a passing motorboat."... "If the boat was larger, if she was placed in a different place, if there had not been a wake," Hathaway said."

This was a bad situation gone worse, but the fact is that a boat wake started the chain reaction. While the cry goes out by the kayakers, WINNFABS and the rest of the feel good crowd against go fast boats, the biggest problem remains the huge wakes caused by the big cruisers. Every day these monster waves cause property damage to the shorefront, boats, and docks, and may also be causing injury to swimmers and people being thrown around their 18' bowriders when they hit these monster waves. The fact is that the go fast boats are not making these huge waves and are involved in few accidents. I can tell you that I personally fear the huge cruiser waves, but don't worry one bit about the fast boats. Where is the outrage from WINNFABS about these huge cruisers compromising safety and destroying their quality of life? If they complained about this, I might actually lend credence to their argument about safety, but all they want is to get the fast boats off of the lake.
Thank god im not the only one that sees monster wakes from monster cruisers as the real problem out there.
The only mention of wakes from the proponents side have been accusations of speedy boats making large wakes .."which is nonsence" Go Fast type boats are planing, not displacement hulls ..the faster you go the less water you displace which equals a smaller wake.
Just an observation but if anyone is causing havoc on the lake its the Oerpaid, Overfed, (Rodney Dangerfield) types who feel "Ignorance is bliss.
If I had a nickle for evey time ive been cut off or swamped by a 30+ foot summer cottage in excess of 10000 pounds id be a millionaire..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:

Wow!That's quite a stretch to to go from the rescue boat striking a wave to make the comparison to monster waves causing property damage and injuries to smaller boats and swimmers.Doesn't say anywhere in that report the size of the wave,what size boat made the wave,how fast it was traveling.I would guess the passing boat would probably be in that small 18 or under size based on the majority of the boats that frequent that river.Quite a leap if you ask me.If the wake WAS from a small craft should we follow your logic and outlaw all moterized boats?This is besides that fact that they strapped a person with a ankle sprain onto an airboat with running currents operated by an inexperienced driver.How scary is that.Ya,it must be the boat that made a wake(however small or big it was).
What you neglected to show on that report was that the operator of the rescue boat was inexperienced with that craft which is exactly what most of here against the speed limit sight as the problem.It's the inexperienced small boat operaters that we see all of the time driving like Capt. Bonehead.Thanks for making our point!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Wow!That's quite a stretch to to go from the rescue boat striking a wave to make the comparison to monster waves causing property damage and injuries to smaller boats and swimmers.Doesn't say anywhere in that report the size of the wave,what size boat made the wave,how fast it was traveling.I would guess the passing boat would probably be in that small 18 or under size based on the majority of the boats that frequent that river.Quite a leap if you ask me.If the wake WAS from a small craft should we follow your logic and outlaw all moterized boats?This is besides that fact that they strapped a person with a ankle sprain onto an airboat with running currents operated by an inexperienced driver.How scary is that.Ya,it must be the boat that made a wake(however small or big it was).
What you neglected to show on that report was that the operator of the rescue boat was inexperienced with that craft which is exactly what most of here against the speed limit sight as the problem.It's the inexperienced small boat operaters that we see all of the time driving like Capt. Bonehead.Thanks for making our point!
SS you make good points for discussion. My argument sounded crazy, which was basically my intention. What you demonstrated was that this accident was not caused by a go-fast boat. You also demonstrated that accidents are caused a lot of times by inexperienced Capt. Boneheads. Great points. Why then are these people so intent on ramming a speed limit down everyone's throat when there is no record of accidents caused by speeding go-fast boats?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Aquadeziac

Default Town bought wrong boat

I believe it was also said in an interview aired on WMUR that the town was told by the boat manufacturer, prior to purchase, that that type of boat (air boat) was not designed to be used for purpose for which they were purchasing a boat.