Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
Killevippen

Default Home Teardown advice

We recently purchased a home that suffered extensive water damage this past winter. We have decided to tear it down and rebuild. I'd appreciate any thoughts on:

1) Companies or people that will run an auction to sell off the interior pieces. There are many excellent wood coverings, fixtures, etc. We would be happy to donate anything that doesn't sell, rather than have re-usable materials hauled to a landfill.

2) Companies that tear down and remove the remainder of the house (including foundation).

Thanks!
Killevippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Verrills Trucking & Excavating recommended

We used and highly recommend:
Peter Verrill, Verrills Trucking & Excavating
20 Boynton Road Meredith, NH 03253
Phone: (603) 279-4682

This firm had the house down, ground cleared and debris hauled away in about four hours. Watching it was sad, but awesome.

Note: we had to have an asbestos inspection before teardown and now, Moultonborough (and perhaps other towns) require a permit.

When prepping the house for demolition, we sold a lot through Craigslist, then had an open house, where people could take away anything they could cut away. We saved the windows and doors to use in the garage.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

You could offer it up as a training tool for the local fire department. Not very often do they get the chance to practice on the real thing. Then you can have the DPW pick up the mess... or maybe you could ask
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
You could offer it up as a training tool for the local fire department. Not very often do they get the chance to practice on the real thing. Then you can have the DPW pick up the mess... or maybe you could ask

Then after that, maybe the local Votech would build you a new house!

wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,389 Times in 963 Posts

And then after that maybe you could find somebody to pay your taxes!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
jeffatsquam

Default One stop shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killevippen View Post
We recently purchased a home that suffered extensive water damage this past winter. We have decided to tear it down and rebuild. I'd appreciate any thoughts on:

1) Companies or people that will run an auction to sell off the interior pieces. There are many excellent wood coverings, fixtures, etc. We would be happy to donate anything that doesn't sell, rather than have re-usable materials hauled to a landfill.

2) Companies that tear down and remove the remainder of the house (including foundation).

Thanks!
Depending where you are located.

I could take care of all this and build your new house for you.

PM me if you would like more information
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
And then after that maybe you could find somebody to pay your taxes!!!
And after that burn it and let the firemen practice on a new home for a change. The circle of life...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Near the shore?

I know of someone who tore down a cabin next to the lake in Tuftonboro. He needed approval from wetlands, DES as well as a permit from the town. The house had to be inspected for hazardous materials, such as asbestos and because there were excavation, the lot has to be inspected for hazardous waste and the excavation has to be done within the rules of shoreline protection act. It was a year long project, actually more than a year.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I know of someone who tore down a cabin next to the lake in Tuftonboro. He needed approval from wetlands, DES as well as a permit from the town. The house had to be inspected for hazardous materials, such as asbestos and because there were excavation, the lot has to be inspected for hazardous waste and the excavation has to be done within the rules of shoreline protection act. It was a year long project, actually more than a year.
This is just a few reasons along with a boat load of other reasons that you want to hire your builder first.

Only a builder would have first hand dealings with all of the sub-contractors it takes to see a project like this through. From the first permitting to the certificate
of occupancy.

To try to piecemeal a project like this together you will never get the results you had hoped for.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
DickR

A rebuild from scratch is your perhaps one and only chance to do it right. Make the new structure superinsulated (aka "heats with a candle"). Even codes are getting more stringent on insulation levels, air sealing, and elimination of thermal bridges. But remember that a house just built to code is one that barely passes the test - the grade is a D-minus. Build to a better standard, and you'll be glad you did. It costs surprisingly little extra to build a better, more comfortable, more durable, and less expensive house to heat and cool. Most builders won't give you a house like this on their own. You have to specify just what you want, and that means you have to do your homework first. There is plenty of information online covering all of this.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
kauriel (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
BroadHopper

I agree with DickR 100%. In 2010 I built a home within RBC 2009 'green' spec. PSNH rated it 5 Stars+ and was featured in a trade journal.

Unfortunately I talked to about 2 dozen builders and they want to build their way. One even told me, "Why do you want to build a home to that spec? You are going to sell eventually and you can't bring it to heaven"

I did find one builder who will build to the SOW and it took him almost three years to finish the project! One excuse after another and always want the money in advance! Needless to say even though he is good, I will not recommend him!

Finding a good residential general contractor in this area is tough! My friend mentioned above had his home built by Bensonwoods and they are great but they do not do the 'ground work'.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I agree with DickR 100%. In 2010 I built a home within RBC 2009 'green' spec. PSNH rated it 5 Stars+ and was featured in a trade journal.

Unfortunately I talked to about 2 dozen builders and they want to build their way. One even told me, "Why do you want to build a home to that spec? You are going to sell eventually and you can't bring it to heaven"

I did find one builder who will build to the SOW and it took him almost three years to finish the project! One excuse after another and always want the money in advance! Needless to say even though he is good, I will not recommend him!

Finding a good residential general contractor in this area is tough! My friend mentioned above had his home built by Bensonwoods and they are great but they do not do the 'ground work'.
Guess we lucked out. 3 years later, still very happy with our design/build contractor for our home, which started the same, as a tear-down of a cabin we had used and loved for 15+ years.

2.5K+ sq ft replacement that is averaging 250/gals per year of heating fuel. We are very happy. PM for details if interested.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 07-10-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
DickR

I have found that greenbuildingadvisor.com is a great resource for info on building a great house. I just saw this new blog, a list of links to all sorts of advice on various aspects of building a house:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-do-everything

Look also at the various articles posted on www.buildingscience.com.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default 'State of the Art' Homes

Want the most efficient home in the area? Take a look at
http://www.bensonwood.com/

Believe it or not he build a passive solar home that burn no fuel!

He is located in Walpole NH. He is currently building a beautiful lake front home in Tuftonboro. Not sure of the address but the site is located on 20 Mile Bay, just off Rte 109.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Kerk

Smile

FIRST GET THE PERMITS IN YOUR HANDS BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING !! The set back rules may have changed which happened to me but I was fortunate enough to have the originate enough to have the original permit when I went to do it!!! Things change and new specifications may be required. JMO, GOOD LUCK kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerk For This Useful Post:
TheProfessor (07-15-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Kerk

Smile

I goofed and repeated parts twice ! kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #17
donnamatrix

Default Talented help

I can vouch for both Peter Verrill and Jeff@Squam. They do excellent work, very trustworthy and honest folks.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
FIRST GET THE PERMITS IN YOUR HANDS BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING !! The set back rules may have changed which happened to me but I was fortunate enough to have the originate enough to have the original permit when I went to do it!!! Things change and new specifications may be required. JMO, GOOD LUCK kc
EXCELLENT ADVICE.

House down street from me. Must have been some issues about placement of new house.

The builder tore everything down (old house) except one 8 foot length of one wall - just studs remaining. Then built a new house around that 8' section of wall.

Best to get all plans and permits before tearing down. Good advice.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Default Another Owner

Had a beautiful 1800's style Lake house near the water. Because of Shoreline Protection and other issues, if he was to replace the cottage with a new structure he has to build it back at least 60 feet and to the right. Unfortunately the new owner will not have the view as there are tall trees growing between the new structure and the lake. He is not allowed to clear the trees and he cannot add a patio to the front. Seems like you cannot alter the landscape up to 100 or 150' from the lake.
Needless to say he did not do his homework before buying the property and the property is now back up for sale.

Actually I'm glad he did not tear the old lake house down. I like the looks of the old lake homes far better than the new Adirondacks style.