Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
gardengal5

Default screen porch repair/replacement?

Recently bought a home in the area and loved the screen porch, about 12 x 14'. Unfortunately it appears to have been built on an existing deck and lacks a proper support system. It pitches back towards the house and water runs down the siding, etc. I'm not sure if it can be remedied, and may need replacement. I am looking for an honest, experienced and reliable contractor. Any recommendations?
gardengal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengal5 View Post
Recently bought a home in the area and loved the screen porch, about 12 x 14'. Unfortunately it appears to have been built on an existing deck and lacks a proper support system. It pitches back towards the house and water runs down the siding, etc. I'm not sure if it can be remedied, and may need replacement. I am looking for an honest, experienced and reliable contractor. Any recommendations?
Did you not hire a home Inspector before you signed on the dotted line? If so he or she should have noted that. If you didnt shame on you.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Broken Glass

Steve @ Superior Construction has done a lot of work for us at Overlook with great results every time. I don't have his phone # handy but here is his email address. Steve@superiornh.com
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
DickR

Gal5, it's hard to tell from your description what the roof configuration is and thus what the problem may be. Is there a regular shingled roof over the porch, and if so, what shape is it and how does it intersect with the house. Your description of it's sloping back toward the house gives the impression that it is a flat roof that is higher away from the house than it is where it attaches. If that is the case, then there may have been a reason for it's being that way, and of course a poor design.

If it is a flat roof, also a poor design in this area, it could be that the original deck wasn't level, but higher away from the house. It also could be that the footings for support away from the house weren't deep enough, resulting in frost heaving them up and raising the whole assembly.

In any case, it sounds like you do need a pro to evaluate what you have and propose a proper solution. With more information we can speculate as to what you ought to have done, but it's only speculation without seeing it.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
gardengal5 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
gardengal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Did you not hire a home Inspector before you signed on the dotted line? If so he or she should have noted that. If you didnt shame on you.
Of course I hired a home inspector, knew it would have to be addressed, and made my offer with that in mind.
gardengal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

There is no need for chastizing a member here when she asked a simple question.Yikes.

It's possible the porch footings have been pushed up through years of frost heaving and a handy contractor might very easily be able to lower it back down at minimal costs.Or maybe not but I would certainly look at that possibility first.
gardengal5 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
fpartri497

Quote:
Of course I hired a home inspector, knew it would have to be addressed, and made my offer with that in mind.
Good for you Im glad to hear that. I wish you well.

gardengal5 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
eric richard

Thumbs up screen porch repair/replacement

Hi gardengal5,
My name is Eric from Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC. I am more then will to looking at your porch and give you a free estimate on replacing or repair your porch.feel free to call me at (603)509-3880.
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric richard For This Useful Post:
gardengal5 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Tomt

"There is no need for chastizing a member here when she asked a simple question.Yikes."

I could not agree more, It happens over and over. People ask simple questions and get jumped on for errors in grammar, misspelled words, mistakes they may have made. I have very few posts simply because if I can't answer the question I don't I just sit back and try to learn from the people who do know the answers.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
ArborTech

Thumbs up Great Local Contractor

For honest and reliable work give Heath Caruso of Caruso Construction a call. He too lives in Laconia and is a friend of mine. His work is unsurpassed and you will find he is quick and truthful about what he does. His phone number is (cell) (603-393-6581), tell him the Courtney sent you his way. Good luck!
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArborTech For This Useful Post:
gardengal5 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
boo

Default porch repair

there is a good chance there could be an easy fix to this problem, that is of course you want to fix rather than replace the porch.
I am a local contractor and would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your options.

If interested please give me a call or email me (603) 393-5229 or bluemoonbuilders@msn.com, my name is Corey boucher.

I have great references and have done work for a good number of forum members over the past few years. my estimates are always free and you are under no obligation.

I look forward to speaking with you.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
sky's

Quote:
hello garden gal my name is Shaun owner of Skys Carpentry after the brutal cold winter we just had your not the only one with this problem. we currently have a customer with a small deck and a storage building that has moved in the wrong direction over the winter and will be fixing them shorlty. sounds like you need proper cement footings inst. below the frost line and properly fastened to the new footings if you like feel free to give us a call or visit our site www.skyscarpentry.com good luck
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
Denny Crane

Default Great Local Contractor

I had a number of things fixed at our home last year by Mike Pelszar of Interlakes Builders including fixing a beam in a crawl space, tearing out and replacing drywall and wet insulation in a second floor room. This was not desirable work in my opinion but he was reasonable, trustworthy, and with the amount of mess sheetrock makes I couldn't even tell work had been done. They were cleaner than I could have ever been. Payment upon completion and it doesn't get any better than that. His number is 603-344-7963 and his email last year was ilbuilders@choiceonemail.com.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote