Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Grant

Default Cyanobacteria as an ALS Trigger?

This is a pretty disturbing piece about the possible link between a cyanobacteria toxin and dramatic increases in the incidence of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) among lakefront residents in New Hampshire. It's not Winnipesaukee, but close enough...and we have ample blue-green algae in the Lake.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
steadyon

true and scary
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
secondcurve

This stuff is in Mirror Lake. Sales of lake front property have come to a screeching halt in the last couple of years. Why take the chance.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Airwaves

Default What lakes are affected?

Is there an up-to-date list of lakes and waterways that have this issue in New Hampshire or all of New England for that matter?

I am looking for another waterfront cabin and the last thing we need is to confront an issue like this!!!

What is the law in NH regarding disclosure of something like this in a Real Estate transaction? Anyone?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
secondcurve

Airwaves

What Lake are you looking at? One thing to consider when purchasing is that it is better to purchase on a deep cold water lake than a shallow warm water lake.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Airwaves

Until now the lakes we have been looking at have been a secondary issue, we are looking for a specific type of cottage and property, Open concept with little or no slope to the water and without a sandy beach.

Something we can easily convert to handicapped/wheelchair friendly.

So what lake it was located on hasn't been of concern until now.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
ApS

Question Lawns Again?

A quick search came up with some other NH lakes:

Quote:
"...Winnisquam Lake in Belknap County and Willand Pond in Somersworth...the north shore of Mascoma Lake..."
but

Quote:
"...Statistically, if you live near some lakes, there appears to be a higher risk of ALS," said Dartmouth-Hitchcock neurologist Dr. Elijah Stommel..."

"...Around lakes and ponds with cyanobacteria blooms in New England, that rate increases to 4.5 people per 100,000. At Mascoma Lake, the rate is 50 people per 100,000..."
and

Quote:
"...Dumping of sewage and other pollutants, including yard waste such as grass clippings, is believed to trigger cyanobacteria blooms. Nitrogen and phosphorous, which come from runoff created by development, also are recognized as contributors..."
http://davidgillett.blogspot.com/200...ed-to-als.html

Gee...where have we heard that before?

The article asserts that an ALS "predisposition" is a factor, but does that mean one's having ALS in the family is a factor, or having a genetic marker for the disease?

For Lake Winnipesaukee, there may be localized areas of concern, such as "Tuftonboro Bay"—and particularly "The Basin". (Those places downstream from Mirror Lake—already known for cyanobacteria blooms).

After more than 53 seasons on the lake—and three generations—my only medical complaint is a minor case of non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

I'll run the cyanobacteria-possibility by my MD at the next visit. After 53 years on Winnipesaukee, I'm quite certain my doctor will see there's nothing wrong with me nothing wrong with me.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
scubajay1153

Default Thank you!

Very interesting and eye opening piece!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote