Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Bettina 2

Default Pop's Clam Shell has great ice cream

This is my first post...I finally have something I thought I would share.

I have a condo at Weir's Beach and have been boating on the lake for 4 summers now. Just got a new Sea Ray 220 Sundeck (trading in my 20' 20 year old Sea Ray cuddy). I'm far more secure now with my means of travel on the lake and have ventured forth to see new sights. Yes, Paugus Bay, the Meredith Channel and circling Governor's Island were my "big" trips until now

I had the best ice cream so far yesterday at Pop's Clam Shell in Alton. What a surprise. My usual favorite has been Liliokalani's on Paugus Bay...they have an awesome view. I've also tried Sawyer's and the German sounding place at the Weirs and a few in Meredith. However, Pop's tasted richer and was a great buy for the money. I ordered the Moose Tracks child's portion in a cup with a sugar cone on top. Price $2.00. It was a LARGE serving considering it was the cheapest priced size. It was FULL of chunks of chocolate candy. What a meal.

I noticed the hordes of people at the ice cream shop down the street...but saw no one getting ice cream at Pop's. Wondered if they even thought of Pop's for ice cream...their wait time would have been shorter!..While their selections are limited...they still cover the basics. They also have a public restroom around back :-)

If you haven't tried it and find yourself in the mood for ice cream some hot day. try Pops. Unless it was an abberation...they are a good place to get a cone.

This is my first post on the Winnipesaukee forum. I have learned a lot from reading the threads and appreciate all of the info. It's a great place to absorb lots of "local knowlege" of the lake.

Last edited by Bettina 2; 09-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Bettina 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettina 2 View Post
This is my first post...I finally have something I thought I would share.

I have a condo at Weir's Beach and have been boating on the lake for over 4 years now. Just got a new Sea Ray 220 Sundeck (trading in my 20' 14 year old Sea Ray cuddy. I'm far more secure now with my means of travel on the lake and have ventured forth to see new "sights". Yes, Paugus Bay, the Merridith Channel and circling Governor's Island were my big trips until now

I had the best ice cream so far yesterday at Pop's Clam Shell in Alton. What a surprise. My usual favorite has been Liliokalani's on Paugus Bay...they have an awesome view. I've also tried Sawyers and the German sounding place at the Weirs and a few in Merridith. However, Pop's tasted richer and was a great buy for the money. I ordered the Moose Tracks child's portion in a cup with a sugar cone on top. Price $2.00. It was a LARGE serving considering it was the cheapest priced size. It was FULL of chunks of chocolate candy. What a meal.

I noticed the hordes of people at the ice cream shop down the street...but saw no one getting ice cream at Pop's. Wondered if they even thought of Pop's for ice cream...their wait time would have been shorter!..While their selections are limited...they still cover the basics. They also have a public restroom around back :-)

If you havn't tried it and find yourself in the mood for ice cream some hot day. Try Pops. Unless it was an abberation...they are a good place to get a cone.

This is my first post on the Winnipesaukee forum. I have learned a lot from reading the threads and appreciate all of the info. It's a great place to absorb
lots of "local knowlege" of the lake.
Welcome to the forum
________
Bmw m20 history

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
nj2nh

Default Pops

Glad you liked the ice cream and the price. It is refreshing to hear. The food is good, too, if you can stand the price which always seemed high to me. It is usually a good experience, but, once, a few years ago, we were there and there were literally hundreds of spiders under the porch there. It was something to see, but a wee bit off-putting.

The other place you mentioned is Shibley's - a more traditional ice cream shop. Their prices aren't bad and their variety is enormous! My parents tell me that their food isn't bad either.

nj2nh
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Don

I just happened to take pictures of Pop's and Shibley's last Saturday:
Attached Images

Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Irish mist

Love those pictues Don. It reminds me of "old NH". When I was a kid in the 70s most of the state looked like that. You would hit the NH line in Salem and it was a wall of woods with all these little stores selling the only lotto tickets in the nation at the time and of course cheap booze & smokes.

Sjgh.....things have sure changed over the years, and not always for the better.
________
MARIJUANA

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Glad you liked the ice cream and the price. It is refreshing to hear. The food is good, too, if you can stand the price which always seemed high to me. It is usually a good experience, but, once, a few years ago, we were there and there were literally hundreds of spiders under the porch there. It was something to see, but a wee bit off-putting.

The other place you mentioned is Shibley's - a more traditional ice cream shop. Their prices aren't bad and their variety is enormous! My parents tell me that their food isn't bad either.

nj2nh
They also have more parking and have public restrooms right next door. I second the spider infestment at Pop's as per a couple threads before this one.
Now for the taste of the cold creamy stuff, I really didn't notice that big of a difference, in fact I would say I didn't notice any difference.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
riverat

I have lived around alton most of my life and only been to Pop's on rare occasions, although I knew they had great fried clams I assumed they were not in my price range and geared more for tourist so I had shy'ed away. But recently, because of a constant request from my better half we drove the 3 miles up the road to Pop's for a clam dinner. The price was fair compared to other local restaurants and most of all I noticed the other great non-seafood items on the menu such as steak subs, burgers, chicken tenders ect... with reasonable price tags, not to mention probably the best french fries outside a nh fairground. Needless to say Pop's has been our restaurant of choice over the last few weeks with around 4 or 5 visits and you cannot beat the ambience of sitting on the upper deck overlooking the bay. Been too full to try the Ice cream yet, but hopefully I will before they close up Labor Day weekend.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Here's the 2008 Pop's Menu
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Lin (08-27-2008), Resident 2B (08-26-2008), rrr (08-27-2008), sa meredith (08-26-2008)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
riverat

Ice cream brand is "Shaines in Maine". Went again this evening and tried the BBQ Pork sandwich for 2.95. It was excellent! they are planning to close the weekend AFTER labor day if the weather is OK.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Water Camper

Default Clams & Scallop Plate

My wife and I took a ride down to Alton Monday before last, 8/18/2008, easily found a place to park at the public docks. Went across the street to Pops and split a Clam & Scallop Plate. Hardly touched the french fries because of the amount of clams and scallops. Cold slaw was quite good also.

Will definitely go back !

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Waterbaby

Default Thank you!

I never knew Pop's had ice cream - gives me more reason to go there now! Usually I want fried clams, and son and hubby want ice cream, so we end up at Shibley's on the way home where I get a hot dog (not even a close substitute for clams ) and they "win"...... next time we'll all be happy!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Argie's Wife

We'll have to try the ice cream there again. We'd tried it in the past but every time we went we were served ice cream with freezer burn - bleck!

If you really like the ice cream and you're ever in Sanford, Maine, Shane's Ice Cream has a restaurant on Main Street (Rt 109), right after the intersection of Route 4 and Route 109.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote