Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
ChocolateGypsy

Default Waiting for entrees in restaurants

After reading everyone's comments about the time it took to receive their meals, I'm curious to know how much time people think is reasonable to wait for their entrees. Or what would be an unreasonable expectation?

If it takes 15 minutes from the moment the customer places their order to receive 2 entrees for a single table, what would your expectation be if you were among 4 tables that arrived at the same time with different numbers of people? I know what goes on in the kitchen -- I'm just wondering what the customer is thinking.

...If a dish cooked from *scratch* takes 20 minutes to cook properly in the oven and the chef, moving as fast as he/she can, takes 5 minutes to assemble the entree after receiving the order (providing he/she is not working on another table's entrees at the moment,) then I would expect the dish to be "done" in at least 25 minutes. Add another 5 for setting up the tray and delivering it (providing the waitstaff is standing by) and 30 minutes would be the minimum time I would expect for such a dish to arrive at the table. Of course there are various ways to cut the time down, but they inevitably effect the flavor and quality of the dish.

So, I'm wondering how long people in this area are willing to wait for a good meal or is it a matter of speed? If it's consistantly fast, but just ok are you more likely to return to that restaurant? What about those uber-fine dining re$taurant$, where even the potato chips are made to order? How long would you expect to wait for an entree there?

Thanks for your response!

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
After reading everyone's comments about the time it took to receive their meals, I'm curious to know how much time people think is reasonable to wait for their entrees. Or what would be an unreasonable expectation?

If it takes 15 minutes from the moment the customer places their order to receive 2 entrees for a single table, what would your expectation be if you were among 4 tables that arrived at the same time with different numbers of people? I know what goes on in the kitchen -- I'm just wondering what the customer is thinking.

...If a dish cooked from *scratch* takes 20 minutes to cook properly in the oven and the chef, moving as fast as he/she can, takes 5 minutes to assemble the entree after receiving the order (providing he/she is not working on another table's entrees at the moment,) then I would expect the dish to be "done" in at least 25 minutes. Add another 5 for setting up the tray and delivering it (providing the waitstaff is standing by) and 30 minutes would be the minimum time I would expect for such a dish to arrive at the table. Of course there are various ways to cut the time down, but they inevitably effect the flavor and quality of the dish.

So, I'm wondering how long people in this area are willing to wait for a good meal or is it a matter of speed? If it's consistantly fast, but just ok are you more likely to return to that restaurant? What about those uber-fine dining re$taurant$, where even the potato chips are made to order? How long would you expect to wait for an entree there?

Thanks for your response!
It is all about the food. A place that is cooking everything to order (for example a bone in chicken breast) is going to take longer, than a place that precooks many items.

I will wait longer for fine dining, however, I will not wait much longer. Of course, with the apps, bread etc it is not as noticeable. I think the key is to keep the process moving- greeting, drink order, app order, bring bread and drinks, dinner order, etc. A good server keeps it moving.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-10-2011), ChocolateGypsy (09-16-2011), LIforrelaxin (10-24-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
phoenix

to me it is all about spacing. They first take your drink order then come back with drink and take entree if it comes with a salad that salad ( or appetizer)should come back in say 10-15 minutes. That will allow the extra time for main entree. So after finishing the salad i would expect the main meal in about 15 minutes but that in total is about 30- 40 minutes after taking the order which in most cases will be adequate. I also as a customer gets antsy when the gaps are large
ChocolateGypsy (09-16-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Pineedles

Default Hate to wait to pay

I also agree, it's all about spacing. But even if everything goes wonderfully during a meal, there is one more aspect to dining out that can blow the whole deal. Getting the bill and paying! Too many times a great dining experience can be nearly shattered when we are clearly finished with the meal and the waitstaff simply dissapears. Perhaps they think they are rushing us out the door, but that is not the case. Really!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-08-2011), ChocolateGypsy (09-16-2011), LIforrelaxin (10-24-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (09-16-2011), Waterbaby (09-22-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
MikeF-NH

I guess I don't think of it that way. I grew up and in restaraunt family (my father owned a restaraunt from the time I was 12 until I went to college at 18) so my view of service always seems to look deeper than just straigh minutes. For instance...if a party of 12 came in just before me, that would certainly change my expectations and I do look for that kind of thing if I am getting impatient.

In general, I don't see service from the kitchen as an issue but service from the wait staff. An attentive waiter/waitress will be coming by every 5 minutes to bring drinks, apps, salads, soups, ask if anything is needed and even update me if things are crazy in the kitchen.....heck may even warn me that a large party's order just went in so the wait may be a few more minutes than usual. THAT waiter gets a huge tip. On the other hand, a short staffed wait staff can't do this and I notice that also.

Of course the kitchen can screw up and over/under cook something or miss something and have to re-fire the order so that too comes into play.

To me it seems obvious where the screw up is happening and I try not to be too judgemental or set my expectations too high if things aren't perfect. It is rare that I am absolutely appalled with entree delivery times. Everyone must remember that you are not the only person in the establishment and every restaraunts goal is to get you to come back.

If you are in such a hurry that you are counting minutes, perhaps you should have gone to a take out place or fast food or not gone out or planned better. Point being, you are there to enjoy yourself not stopwatch the meal. Relax, enjoy the atmosphere and your company. Complement staff on good work or overcoming a tough situation and be understanding of "the little things" and you will enjoy your meal so much more.

Now if staff is completely unattentive or rude...talk to the manager...his/her goal is for you to come back AND to tell your friends of your wonderful experience. If they hear you are unhappy and do nothing to compensate for your displease...bring your business elsewhere.

Just my .02...plus tip.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
jrc

Also remember that if you order salad or an appetizer. They will delay the entree to give you time to enjoy your appetizer.

Most restaurants stage there food so they can prepare it in 10-15 minutes. If they have something that they can't, they will usually note that on the menu. If someone in your party orders that item, they will delay all the other items so they come out together.

At an empty decent quality resturaurant I would expect my entree in 15 minutes without an appetizer. If busy, I start getting concerned at 30 minutes.

Most expereinced servers can read a table but it never hurts to tell them what you want. "we're looking forward to that steak, let's just skip the appetizers", "please bring us those drinks and snacks, well figure out entree later". If you really hate waiting, be ready and order the entree when the server first comes over for the drink order. They will get the message.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
ChocolateGypsy

Default another question...

Thank you all for your responses!

Like MikeF, I know what goes on "backstage" so I tend to be more critical than most people.

I had a particularly amazing meal prepared by a local, well-known chef on one occasion that took 2 hours to arrive at my table. It was mid-week, off season and the place was nearly empty. The waiter was considerate enough (probably at the request of the chef) to warn us of the extensive time we would have to wait for this particular dish. We chose to wait. And when the dish arrived, it was *absolutely perfect* -- It was made completely from scratch with only fresh ingredients and tasted like it does in the country where I had originally enjoyed it.

Now, I know how to make this dish myself, but I wanted to see what the chef would do. The dish *does* take about 2 hours to make from scratch, but everywhere else I've had it, they've somehow managed to deliver it to the table within 30 minutes (go figure?)

I know that people were more willing to wait at this restaurant for meals because of this chef's reputation, but what about the other chefs in the area? I've seen some very good chefs make some sad compromises for speed and their restaurant(s), although popular, are actually producing mediocre meals.

So if you had been in my seat in the above example, and didn't know how the dish was made, and the waiter told you it would be a 2 hour wait... would you have waited? And how do you think that would've affected your review of the restaurant and the meal?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Argie's Wife

Yes.

We very rarely go out, so having the opportunity to sit back, have a drink & apps, socialize, and all - sans kids, cells phones, etc., - is a small piece of heaven. I would probably have a better time waiting if I was out with a bunch of friends (girls' night out) or something of the sort. I don't know if my husband would be as relaxed about waiting...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I also agree, it's all about spacing. But even if everything goes wonderfully during a meal, there is one more aspect to dining out that can blow the whole deal. Getting the bill and paying! Too many times a great dining experience can be nearly shattered when we are clearly finished with the meal and the waitstaff simply dissapears. Perhaps they think they are rushing us out the door, but that is not the case. Really!
You hit the nail on the head, Pineneedles. It drives me nuts! I hope someday that restaurants around here will offer a "pay at the table" device.

http://sunrisepos.com/industry-produ...le-pos-systems
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (09-17-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
You hit the nail on the head, Pineneedles. It drives me nuts! I hope someday that restaurants around here will offer a "pay at the table" device.

http://sunrisepos.com/industry-produ...le-pos-systems
I used one in China recently, a place where credit cards are not nearly as common as they are here, and it was great. You did not have to wonder where your credit card was off to nor did you have to wait for another cycle with the wait person.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
phoenix

legal seafood has a device at the table ur card never leaves ur sight
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Pineedles

Little Bear, thanks for the link! That's a fantastic device! Order entry and bill paying, wow! I'm surprised it's not more widespread? I haven't been to Legal Seafood phoenix in a while, but am anxious to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Little Bear (09-17-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
ChocolateGypsy

I saw those devices on some tv show a few years back... i think they were using them for the lunch crowd at Legal Seafoods. It makes sense when there's a huge volume of people and it beats going to counter service for lunch.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input here. It is the waitstaff that's supposed to know when an order is taking too long -- before the guest notices -- and then he/she should have some sort of recourse to deal with the issue. Service hinges on well-trained or experienced waitstaff -- which is a rare in these parts. Most restaurant owners/managers don't realize that the dining room staff has a lot of control over what happens during service and that they just can't stick any monkey out there to take guest orders... and then treat them like garbage in the kitchen and expect them to approach the customers with a positive attitude.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
sa meredith

Default no people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Little Bear, thanks for the link! That's a fantastic device! Order entry and bill paying, wow! I'm surprised it's not more widespread? I haven't been to Legal Seafood phoenix in a while, but am anxious to try it.
Order entry, and bill pay, at the table? Just seems a little much. A good waiter/waitress can really add to a dining experience. But it seems that concepts like this one, are working toward really scaling that job back.
I don't think I've ever really been irritated about waiting for a check...but can understand that it happens. Truth be told, I/we eat at the bar most of the time, so asking to "settle up" is usually no issue at all.
And, as for waiting for an entre...I never really had a issue with that, figuring that there must be some legit reason for a long delay. Maybe something got messed up, and they needed a recook...OK, whatever. Just offer a free glass of wine or dessert...something.
For me, the only thing that really gets my ire up, and causes the tip to be chopped, is when someone is very clear about modifying their order from the way it is listed on the menu, is careful to explain the modification (baked instead of fried, mashed instead of baked, rice instead of mashed, rings instead of fries) and the order comes out of the kitchen as it is listed on the menu, and the waitress does not notice, and delivers it that way.
It gets even worse when they say "oh, sorry, just stick with that, and I'll go put a side oreder in for your item".
NO NO NO...take my meal back, a please deliver it when it is ready. And please, pay attention next time.
Quick example...I ordered a lobster roll at a lakes region restaurant in July. I asked for some extra mayo on the side...and very carefully went out of the way to explain to the waitress I wanted it to come out the normal way, with some extra mayo. Not to order me "mayo on the side" knowing the expo person would think the roll should be dry. Just wait, I said, and when the roll comes out, grab me a dab of mayo. She laughed and said, word for word, "don't worry sweetheart...I've been at this a long time...pretty sure I can handle it" and, 15 minutes later proceeded to deliver me a DRY lobster roll, with mayo on the side. The mistake is not the end of the world...combo it with her wiseass comment however...and she earned herself a $5 tip on a $67 tab. I still go there all the time, and go out of my way to waive hello.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
Pineedles

Your last sentence are words to live by sa. Too many people are AFRAID to leave the infamous PENNY TIP. Just be sure that it is the server's fault, as you did.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
kauriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
NO NO NO...take my meal back, a please deliver it when it is ready. And please, pay attention next time.
I actually dislike when someone takes back my entire meal because it was the wrong side, wrong dish, etc.. I personally prefer that the server leave the food so I can at least start eating and then replace the item that was incorrect. I like my food hot and fresh and don't want it sitting around after it's ready and others in my party have received their food. I recently ordered a panini on white bread that arrived on toasted texas toast and after arguing about what I had ordered and being told panini is not a type of bread (duh - that is why I asked for it on white bread!) they proceeded to take my wrong order and press it for just long enough that one side of one piece of bread had a line on it and put it back on the table. Needless to say I ate the eggs out of the soggy toasted barely pressed sandwich and haven't returned to the place. In this case it would have been nice if they could have left my bowl of beans and re-made the sandwich correctly on correct bread.

What drove me nuts about this I made it very clear I wanted it panini style and ordered it under the panini section. The server never admitted that I had in fact ordered a panini nor did she apologize in any form for writing down order wrong or for putting my food back down on the table asking "if there was a problem!" For me rude servers followed by the disappearing server are much more of a concern than time for a dish to come out.

However, I do prefer to be notified in advance that there will be a longer wait for a particular item. That way if I'm starving or in a rush I can make an informed decision before placing my order. If many or all dishes will take awhile I would recommend including soup or salad as a starter for those dishes and/or serving complimentary bread, crackers, etc. for people to snack on while they wait.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-10-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
ChocolateGypsy

Maybe I should let you all in on a little secret when it comes to getting an incorrect order... look for the computer ordering system. If they use one, and you request changes to the order, expect it to arrive done incorrectly. I hate those things and have seen more screwed up and discarded food in one week because of them than I have ever seen up to this point in my life.

On behalf of all the "old timers" in the kitchen, I apologize. There was nothing we could do about it. There was no way to know your order was any different from any other and even a good waitperson might not realize anything was wrong until they brought it to your table. And then they would have to deal with the delimna of snatching it back from under your nose, or waiting for you to notice and complain.

If the place is using a computer for orders, that is likely what happened.

Once again, my sincere apologies.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
sa meredith

Default computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
Maybe I should let you all in on a little secret when it comes to getting an incorrect order... look for the computer ordering system. If they use one, and you request changes to the order, expect it to arrive done incorrectly. I hate those things and have seen more screwed up and discarded food in one week because of them than I have ever seen up to this point in my life.

On behalf of all the "old timers" in the kitchen, I apologize. There was nothing we could do about it. There was no way to know your order was any different from any other and even a good waitperson might not realize anything was wrong until they brought it to your table. And then they would have to deal with the delimna of snatching it back from under your nose, or waiting for you to notice and complain.

If the place is using a computer for orders, that is likely what happened.

Once again, my sincere apologies.
Shouldn't the computer allow specific modifications?
Also...curious about the apology...do you own or manage a lakes region restaurant.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
SPT13

[QUOTE=sa meredith;170405]Shouldn't the computer allow specific modifications?
The one I have worked with has a " see server" button for that purpose for when the modification is more than a button, or touch screen can explain.
If the kitchen sees " see server" on the slip, they hold off on the order till they talk to the server.
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

All of the new Point of Sales systems have a mod button.For example,if you order 2 eggs with bacon,the mod button will give you every option you could think of.... over light, over hard,sunny,scrambled,wheat,raisin,rye toast,no home fries,with cheese ,eggs on toast,etc etc.
If you need a modifier that is not on the screen,you simply pop up the keyboard and type in anything.
So,there is really no reason why you can't get exactly what you ordered.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-14-2011), VitaBene (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
All of the new Point of Sales systems have a mod button.For example,if you order 2 eggs with bacon,the mod button will give you every option you could think of.... over light, over hard,sunny,scrambled,wheat,raisin,rye toast,no home fries,with cheese ,eggs on toast,etc etc.
If you need a modifier that is not on the screen,you simply pop up the keyboard and type in anything.
So,there is really no reason why you can't get exactly what you ordered.
I like the Rhonda/Sherri/Tara/etc system better!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Say waaah?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
Newbiesaukee

I believe these are the Royal staff at the Village Kitchen.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I believe these are the Royal staff at the Village Kitchen.
Sorry AW, they are some of the awesome people that make the front of the VK hum.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-14-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

I hear ya, VB......don't think I haven't taken my share of abuse from my girls for changing the system, but the good news is, they are really doing a great job with it. We are letting them take their time getting used to it and in the end it will save them alot of time.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #26
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I guess I don't think of it that way. I grew up and in restaraunt family (my father owned a restaraunt from the time I was 12 until I went to college at 18) so my view of service always seems to look deeper than just straigh minutes. For instance...if a party of 12 came in just before me, that would certainly change my expectations and I do look for that kind of thing if I am getting impatient.

In general, I don't see service from the kitchen as an issue but service from the wait staff. An attentive waiter/waitress will be coming by every 5 minutes to bring drinks, apps, salads, soups, ask if anything is needed and even update me if things are crazy in the kitchen.....heck may even warn me that a large party's order just went in so the wait may be a few more minutes than usual. THAT waiter gets a huge tip. On the other hand, a short staffed wait staff can't do this and I notice that also.

Of course the kitchen can screw up and over/under cook something or miss something and have to re-fire the order so that too comes into play.

To me it seems obvious where the screw up is happening and I try not to be too judgemental or set my expectations too high if things aren't perfect. It is rare that I am absolutely appalled with entree delivery times. Everyone must remember that you are not the only person in the establishment and every restaraunts goal is to get you to come back.

If you are in such a hurry that you are counting minutes, perhaps you should have gone to a take out place or fast food or not gone out or planned better. Point being, you are there to enjoy yourself not stopwatch the meal. Relax, enjoy the atmosphere and your company. Complement staff on good work or overcoming a tough situation and be understanding of "the little things" and you will enjoy your meal so much more.

Now if staff is completely unattentive or rude...talk to the manager...his/her goal is for you to come back AND to tell your friends of your wonderful experience. If they hear you are unhappy and do nothing to compensate for your displease...bring your business elsewhere.

Just my .02...plus tip.

I couldn't agree more. Why is everyone always in such a hurry. Take time to relax and enjoy the company of the folks you are with and being lucky enough to be "Up the lake"!

The Goose!
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
ChocolateGypsy

Default Warning: long-winded rant

Quote:
Shouldn't the computer allow specific modifications?
It's the same problems computers all over the world have had since we started using them... it doesn't matter if there's a button, key or command... the order goes in and is never seen or heard from again. (Probably went to the same place as the missing sock in the laundry.)

Then there's the puking-machine phenomenon where nothing prints for several minutes until it suddenly spits out 20 orders in rapid-fire. (One input station, 3 waitpersons... how did they do that?)

Or my favorite headline: COMPUTER HOLDS RESTAURANT HOSTAGE! Problems with the computer held up the opening of the restaurant because it wouldn't accept the label given to a burger on the menu in any reasonable form. So... "Happy Birthday" means "Swiss Burger."

Accidents happen when the waitperson quickly enters the order on a touchscreen and their finger accidently brushes something and the order gets changed. Yeah, the techs keep saying they "fixed it" but it's never "fixed." (Maybe antistatic bracelets should be required?)

And everyone in the kitchen just *loves* the uniform print size and typeface -- Imagine what the print out for a large table with 20 items looks like uniform 14 point print (the average foot long grocery receipt is easier to read and manage.) Someone usually ends up writing the order out the old fashioned way.

When every second counts, small mistakes accumulate into minutes added to the preparation of the next order. Another order could've gone out in the time it takes to repackage an incorrectly plated dinner. (They missed the TO GO line.)

The only place I've seen these things work without a hitch are fast food restaurants. It's even better at the drive thrus where the entire kitchen hears the order as it is placed by the customer (did you know that?) and uses the print out to check the order on it's way out the window.

In my experience, the only people who really like the POS systems are the people who sell them, the people who buy them and the IRS.

Quote:
Also...curious about the apology...do you own or manage a lakes region restaurant.
Not anymore.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
me too!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
bclaker

I have a different complaint. Whenever I am in Concord, I go to Olive Garden, my favorite restaurant, for lunch. My coffee, bread sticks and salad are delivered almost immediately and the entre is delivered before I'm 1/4 through the salad. By the time I finish the salad the entre is cold. I finally got smart and ask the waitress to hold the entre til I finish my salad. Sometimes it works, but not always.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote