Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boat Sinking????? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5102)

Airwaves 09-12-2007 08:27 PM

2007 Cobalt 246

secondcurve wrote:
Quote:

Also something to consider is at what point does the cost of the search out weigh the amount of money in dispute? I am guessing that the cost of this boat was roughly $40-45,000???
From what I have read the price of a 2007 246 Cobalt ranges between $52,000 and just over $58,000. I suppose it could go higher if you add more whistles and bells.

http://www.epinions.com/boat-Boats-A...splay_~reviews

And having done business with Thurston's in the past I would say the price would be on the upper end of that spectrum.

Winnipesaukee 09-12-2007 08:29 PM

Pineedles, are you kidding? You think he LIBELED you??
Gee, then that means those that called me an **** have libeled me. :laugh:

Secondcurve, that boat can easily be worth $75,000 MSRP depending on options and engine.

NightWing 09-12-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles
Your post of the word and its defintion indicated that you have diagnosed me as paranoid. Gee, I didn't see an M.D. appended to your name. You have assigned a label to me without proper qualifications and degrees. Hence, you have participated in name calling. In some arenas it could be called libel. Try calling me paranoid at the next forumfest and I don't have to be a lawyer to sue for this. Your latest post hasn't used a cut and paste approach to reponding to my post. Congratulations, your doing better, you actually had to think to resond. But, if the cut and paste approach is what you like then get the following:

The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander. If it is published in more durable form, for example in written words, film, compact disc (CD), DVD, blogging and the like, then it is considered libel.

Gee wiz Nightwing, since my identity is known to many people on this forum I guess you have already libeled me. Wanna think again about what you post?:laugh:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wackjob

codeman671 09-12-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Your post of the word and its defintion indicated that you have diagnosed me as paranoid. Gee, I didn't see an M.D. appended to your name. You have assigned a label to me without proper qualifications and degrees. Hence, you have participated in name calling. In some arenas it could be called libel. Try calling me paranoid at the next forumfest and I don't have to be a lawyer to sue for this. Your latest post hasn't used a cut and paste approach to reponding to my post. Congratulations, your doing better, you actually had to think to resond. But, if the cut and paste approach is what you like then get the following:

The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander. If it is published in more durable form, for example in written words, film, compact disc (CD), DVD, blogging and the like, then it is considered libel.

Gee wiz Nightwing, since my identity is known to many people on this forum I guess you have already libeled me. Wanna think again about what you post?:laugh:

You have GOT to be kidding... It was a joke, and not overly nasty or rude at that. Hell, I was once called a lecherous old man and then told that I was being a 9 year old in the same thread. I did not lose sleep or sling defamation of character, it was a joke on both ends. If you have that much time on your hands to fire at nightwing maybe you should spend some time helping to search for that boat!

Let's get back on topic before this gets canned.

Blue Thunder 09-13-2007 06:13 AM

Take it easy..

Quote:

Pineneedles and Nightwing, you two might want to take a deep breath here. It's been a long time since any forum member's priviledges were limited, but if you keep it up, the Webmaster might come a knockin'!!

BT

Pineedles 09-13-2007 06:55 AM

To all

I tried to voice my concern over taxpayer's burden, and although I was wrong to assume that taxpayers would foot the bill, which I stated in a later post, it seems that nightwing decides it is appropriate to resort to name calling. Paranoid, Wackjob, and Winnipesaukee being called an ****? I have not responded in kind with similar name calling. I don't think I have crossed any line regarding bad behavior on-line here. If anyone is going to get kicked off the forum, I think most would agree it would be nightwing.

Yes, it would be nice to get back on topic. If the boat is leaking oil/gas, I wonder if sampling a calm surface of the water in the vicinity of the sinking could detect excessive oil/gas prescence, and thereby give a better idea of where to search?

Weirs guy 09-13-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve
Also something to consider is at what point does the cost of the search out weigh the amount of money in dispute?

I would imagine that would depend on whos pockets the $40-75K is coming from at the end of the day?

Rattlesnake Guy 09-13-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
I really hope they find it soon to put all the theories to rest for once. No offense to anyone but this topic is getting stale.

That is why there are so many threads to choose from. Some are not interesting to lots of folks. Something for everyone I guess. The last one out will turn out the lights.

sa meredith 09-13-2007 01:09 PM

Activity?

Rattlesnake Guy (or Gal)...
Curious: If you are at the lake, is there any search activity today?
Thinking of taking a cruise out that way in the morning...

Island Girl 09-13-2007 02:04 PM

None that I can see

There is a small boat with a bimini top slowly cruising in the area.. but I don't see any dive flags or dive boats there.

IG

Rattlesnake Gal 09-13-2007 03:24 PM

Nothing Going On

Today there has been nothing going on. There was a boat as IG described, but it wasn't one I recognized to be part of the search. It just looked like someone being curious.
R-Guy and I used our depth finder to check the slope to see what it was like and found it was steep near the shore and relatively flat near the current search area. Hopefully we will see some action again tomorrow.

Winnigirl 09-13-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Oh my goodness. My stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Didn't you ever hear "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

:rolleye1: It's really not that serious. Thanks for the laugh though!

Pineedles 09-13-2007 10:11 PM

Winni Girl

Hey Newbie,

Glad I could provide you with some humor, but that is partially what this forum is about, although that was not the purpose of my post. Too bad you couldn't see that personal attacks are not what this forum is about. Hope your next 190 posts go as well as your 19 posts to date. As far as I'm concerned, your opinion isn't one that I'll be interested in in the future.

GWC... 09-13-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Hey Newbie,

Glad I could provide you with some humor, but that is partially what this forum is about, although that was not the purpose of my post. Too bad you couldn't see that personal attacks are not what this forum is about. Hope your next 190 posts go as well as your 19 posts to date. As far as I'm concerned, your opinion isn't one that I'll be interested in in the future.

Could have fooled me... :D :laugh: :laugh:

Coolbreeze 09-14-2007 06:41 AM

THEY FOUND IT TODAY!!! and are in the process of pulling it up...

(I'm talking about the anchor I lost this summer in front of my house:liplick: )

Phantom 09-14-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Hey Newbie, ........... Hope your next 190 posts go as well as your 19 posts to date. As far as I'm concerned, your opinion isn't one that I'll be interested in in the future.

Pineneedles --

That just wasn't called for !!

What is with this Forum lately, we have attacks (not humerous by any standard) occurring in this thread & in the threads regarding "speed limits" with two or three other members battling it out on-line over there ?? Geeeessshh

Step away from the Keyboard folks, take a boat ride, visit the kids, take an escape week-end trip to the mountains ........... do something, but this is getting stale fast (in my humble opinion)

SIKSUKR 09-14-2007 07:44 AM

Chill Out!!!!!

Rattlesnake Gal 09-14-2007 08:25 AM

Try PMing Each Other

If you were at a dinner party talking face to face with all the people in this thread, would it be this obnoxious? You could take it over to personal messaging where we won’t see all this nonsense. Let’s try to stay on the topic of the Cobalt sinking. This has been a very informative thread, which could actually save someone’s life one day.
Hopefully today is the day!
Thanks.
RG

salukigirl 09-14-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Hey Newbie,

Looks like winnigirl has been on the forum since 2005? She might be a lurker, as I am, but she doesn't appear to be a newbie.

How about this pharse my mother always said, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". I think more than one person on this thread needs to remember this childhood lesson.

Winni P 09-14-2007 12:58 PM

Are you for real?!!!!

Quote:

Please, please tell me there is some other underlying beef between the two of you (Pineneedles & Nightwing) and this thread is not the cause of all of this nonsense...

Pure comedy!!

Winni P 09-14-2007 01:02 PM

Now who is name calling?

Quote:

Hey Newbie,

Hey Winnigirl - looks like you've got grounds for a lawsuit too!!

brk-lnt 09-14-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Let’s try to stay on the topic of the Cobalt sinking.
RG

What? A boat sank? When?

NightWing 09-14-2007 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winni P
Please, please tell me there is some other underlying beef between the two of you (Pineneedles & Nightwing) and this thread is not the cause of all of this nonsense...

Pure comedy!!

I am out of it. It started when an individual was whining about maybe having to pay for the sunken boat charges through increased taxes. I posted the definition of paranoid (tongue in cheek). His response was to rant about slander and libel. I posted a link for a slang definition. That's it. Done. A couple of posters criticized him for taking things too seriously. He responded by saying one of them was making a personal attack and said he wasn't interested in her opinion. I do not know who he is and don't care to know.:rolleye2:

sgold44 09-14-2007 04:57 PM

Ridiculous & Juvenile

Some of these posts remind me of being around 10 years old in grammar school. Thanks for bringing back fond memories of my childhood.:laugh:

Now, how about getting back on track & discussing the tragic sinking of the boat.

Pineedles 09-14-2007 08:22 PM

To all recent responders

I see that my non-name calling posts and calm responses to attacks can't get through to many of you. So I will withdraw from this forum for an undetermined time. Don, thanks for the opportunity to post. I have tried to be a decent forum participant, but it seems that my posts are not to the liking of a number of people. GWC, I am dissapointed in your response, particulary since we did meet at the forum in 2006. For you others, raise a great hooray! You have successfully pushed me out. I don't need to deal with these personal attacks.

Winnipesaukee 09-14-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

So I will withdraw from this forum for an undetermined time.
Kay. Bye!:laugh:

Newbie because she has 19 posts? Thats like the seniors in high school picking on the freshman!

I'd post the definition of "obnoxious," but am afraid I'll be getting something in the mail from the Internet Police. :rolleye2:

Anyway, what is the status of the boat?

GWC... 09-14-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

I see that my non-name calling posts and calm responses to attacks can't get through to many of you. So I will withdraw from this forum for an undetermined time. Don, thanks for the opportunity to post. I have tried to be a decent forum participant, but it seems that my posts are not to the liking of a number of people. GWC, I am dissapointed in your response, particulary since we did meet at the forum in 2006. For you others, raise a great hooray! You have successfully pushed me out. I don't need to deal with these personal attacks.

It's not my desire to disappoint you; but I have yet to attend a Forum Fest.

Don't know whom you met; but surely it was not I.

The Forum is a way for many of us to maintain some degree of sanity; although the opposite may seem true when reading some of the posts, especially mine. If you think it's rough in your chair, imagine how rough life must be for the Webmaster. He has to read every one of my post; not just a few. Remember, those viewing the various posts have the option to not read a post by a certain member; but the Webmaster has to read every one of my posts. :eek:

Winni P 09-15-2007 07:54 AM

Buh-bye

Quote:

Pineneedles,

non-name calling posts?!! Can you honestly say there was no negative connotation to calling Winnigirl "Newbie"? Sounds like name calling to me...

I didn't see anything CALM about your reponses either. Maybe it would be best to take a break and do a little self-reflection at this point.

Good luck and buh-bye

sa meredith 09-15-2007 08:19 AM

searching...

Wow...enough of this nonsense. A couple of playful "jabs", I believe, is fine. But this is just foolishness. Anyway...
I took a cruise out by Rattlesnake yesterday, saw the orange markers dotting the lake, but just a single boat. I'm curious...If it was Diver1111, and he has already told us he is simply a volunteer, who is officially running the recovery effort? And why so few boats/ people involved. Perhaps it is no longer a priority? I'm hopefull the the final entry in this thread is a detailed story from Boat Guy64 about everything that happened on that afternoon, and about the people that came to their aid.
Perhaps Coach Belichick video taped the whole event.

Coolbreeze 09-15-2007 08:34 AM

It appears that what some posters are experiencing and displaying in their posts and tantrums (acting out) are directly related to a mild mental disorder.
I personally know about this mental disorder and am happy to say that I have successfully completed my 5th week of a program to recovery. The syndrome has professionally been labeled the "Winnipesaukee Lake Withrawl Syndrome" WLWS for short.
No, sorry to say Riddelin won't help, prozac makes me sleepy and not in the mood for sex; and drinking, well, reminds me of coctail hours spent on the dock.
WLWS has one cure, and when next August comes, consider me healed.

Just Sold 09-15-2007 09:26 AM

Calm down and get back to the point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
If you were at a dinner party talking face to face with all the people in this thread, would it be this obnoxious? You could take it over to personal messaging where we won’t see all this nonsense. Let’s try to stay on the topic of the Cobalt sinking. This has been a very informative thread, which could actually save someone’s life one day.
Hopefully today is the day!
Thanks.
RG

RG and others with similar posts are right. This thread is about an unfortunate accident (sinking) involving a boat but the 8 passengers were rescued with no injuries and that is the most positive thing of this.

We are all waiting to see the boat raised and to know what really happened. None of us were there and our curious minds want to know just what happened. The true story may help us and others to prevent such a thing happening to us.

How about a BIG thanks to the boater who rescued those 4 adults and 4 children. They were the heros that day. I can't imagine being Boat Guy 64 and feeling the stress with a boat sinking and getting their passengers off the boat safely. As we all know the "Captain" is responsible for their passengers,

Ranting and arguing gets no one any where. JMHO:rolleye1:

Rattlesnake Gal 09-15-2007 09:43 AM

Sorry You Have Decided to Leave Us Pineedles

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWC...
It's not my desire to disappoint you; but I have yet to attend a Forum Fest.

Why haven't we seen you at any of the Fests? I, for one, would like to put a face to the witty character. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa meredith
I took a cruise out by Rattlesnake yesterday, saw the orange markers dotting the lake, but just a single boat. I'm curious...If it was Diver1111

No, I don't think we saw Diver1111 at all yesterday. Hopefully they will all be back later or tomorrow.

Quote:

You have successfully pushed me out. I don't need to deal with these personal attacks.

Pineedles, I’m sorry you have decided to leave us. I think you are only punishing yourself. Unfortunately the written word cannot translate well when a person is ribbing you in a fun way or if they are being aggressive.

Quote:

For those of us that CAN'T vote, you who can should voice your concern as to enforcing all existing laws regarding laws that may have been broken as well as reponsible parties laws. As well as compensation that the State, County, and Town are forthcoming to them, due to the costs that have been incurred. (MP patrols around dive site). Apologies to the registered owners of this vessel, but we must have complete responsibility taken care of before we, the unheard from are asked to PAY MORE in taxes. Who is going to pay for this search? Sorry, No smilie faces.

Re-read your post, I think what you were trying to ask came across wrong to anyone who read it. You sound angry and aggressive, was that your intention?

At least one of the people who were on the boat when it sank spent the whole, and I mean the whole day last Saturday on the lake trying to assist in the search. That doesn’t sound like they are being irresponsible.

Hopefully soon this boat will rise to the surface and tell its story. I am also hoping that boat_guy64 can fill us in on some details when the time comes. Knowing what happened and how to avoid it, could save someone’s life one day. Knowledge can be a great tool.

Diver1111 and the Sea Tow gang, keep your chin up! You’ll find her yet!

Cobalt 250 09-15-2007 10:46 AM

I was on the lake with friends on 8-18 and could easily understand how a bow rider could be swamped. I kept the bow cover on and for good reason. With 30 + years on the lake, I got a good (unpleasant) education. After 4 hours of hiding at Shibley"s, we made a much smoother return to our point of origin. I am looking for swell height if anyone knows it from that day.

CanisLupusArctos 09-15-2007 01:57 PM

wave height

At Black Cat , in the northwestern end of the lake, the waves were running 1 to 1.5 feet all day, with white caps. I photographed a jetskier getting a few inches of air off some of the waves.

The area where the boat went down is about 10 miles southeast of Black Cat, with no obstructions (straight line of sight.) The wind and waves were blowing toward that direction (from the northwest.) In my experience boating the length of the lake in NW winds, the waves around Rattlesnake/The Broads have always been about twice the size of those I found when I got back to Black Cat.

Back in the early 80s, I was out with my family in The Broads where we encountered 4-5 footers coming from the NW. We were in a 17' bowrider and we were terrified - very, very, close to sinking due to water over the bow. Dad had us put the canvas on, ordered life jackets for all adults (we kids already had them) and he somehow managed to straddle the waves rather than point right into them, until we got near shore. We made it home by hugging the shore until we had islands to shelter us from the waves.

I remember a few of those waves were high enough so I couldn't see over their tops. That was frightening.

The lake is similar to Mount Washington in many ways - its weather varies greatly from place to place and is very unpredictable. Wave heights and wind can vary from one square mile to the next - just as on Mt. Washington. When I got into winter climbing I discovered there are some conditions where the wind on Lion's Head (well below the summit) can be a lot stronger than the wind on the summit - who woulda thought? But the same sort of weirdness is true on our lake as well.

The lake is a reflection of that mountain - literally and meteorologically.

I always thought this lake would be a good candidate for a couple of well-placed NOAA Weather Buoys that measure wave height/period. They'd probably do it, if enough citizens (like us) approached the local National Weather Service office and came up with a way to fund them.

One thing the NWS used to do, but doesn't do anymore, was issue a daily recreational marine forecast for the lake. They continue to issue one for the higher summits of the White Mountains (4,000' +) and the Vermont office of the NWS (in Burlington) issues marine forecasts for Lake Champlain that many boaters rely on, but the NWS in Concord discontinued their Winnipesaukee marine forecasts about the same time they relocated in Gray, Maine. Perhaps it's time a bunch of us pester them to start that service back up again.

jetskier 09-15-2007 08:42 PM

Back on Topic

Nice to see this thread back on topic...frankly, it was getting silly.

OK...what is going on with the Cobalt? Is there a definitive plan to search for it? What area has been searched and what areas are going to be searched?

Jetskier:cool:

Cobalt 25 09-15-2007 09:15 PM

keep it on track

yes, let's please stay on topic.

Many of us are truly interested in learning the cause of the sinking. There will be a lesson learned for all of us.

Peter

Winnipesaukee 09-15-2007 09:39 PM

I hope that everyone knows that if caught in heavy seas, you are supposed to go over the waves at a 45 degree angle, NOT straight on or parallel to them.

secondcurve 09-15-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos
At Black Cat , in the northwestern end of the lake, the waves were running 1 to 1.5 feet all day, with white caps. I photographed a jetskier getting a few inches of air off some of the waves.

The area where the boat went down is about 10 miles southeast of Black Cat, with no obstructions (straight line of sight.) The wind and waves were blowing toward that direction (from the northwest.) In my experience boating the length of the lake in NW winds, the waves around Rattlesnake/The Broads have always been about twice the size of those I found when I got back to Black Cat.

Back in the early 80s, I was out with my family in The Broads where we encountered 4-5 footers coming from the NW. We were in a 17' bowrider and we were terrified - very, very, close to sinking due to water over the bow. Dad had us put the canvas on, ordered life jackets for all adults (we kids already had them) and he somehow managed to straddle the waves rather than point right into them, until we got near shore. We made it home by hugging the shore until we had islands to shelter us from the waves.

I remember a few of those waves were high enough so I couldn't see over their tops. That was frightening.

The lake is similar to Mount Washington in many ways - its weather varies greatly from place to place and is very unpredictable. Wave heights and wind can vary from one square mile to the next - just as on Mt. Washington. When I got into winter climbing I discovered there are some conditions where the wind on Lion's Head (well below the summit) can be a lot stronger than the wind on the summit - who woulda thought? But the same sort of weirdness is true on our lake as well.

The lake is a reflection of that mountain - literally and meteorologically.

I always thought this lake would be a good candidate for a couple of well-placed NOAA Weather Buoys that measure wave height/period. They'd probably do it, if enough citizens (like us) approached the local National Weather Service office and came up with a way to fund them.

One thing the NWS used to do, but doesn't do anymore, was issue a daily recreational marine forecast for the lake. They continue to issue one for the higher summits of the White Mountains (4,000' +) and the Vermont office of the NWS (in Burlington) issues marine forecasts for Lake Champlain that many boaters rely on, but the NWS in Concord discontinued their Winnipesaukee marine forecasts about the same time they relocated in Gray, Maine. Perhaps it's time a bunch of us pester them to start that service back up again.

CanisLupusArctos:

Thanks for your post. You always have something inteilligent and interesting to add. I'm glad you are an active, contributing member.

Now, this thread has veered off on a number of unrelated twists and turns since the unfortunate sinking. Boat Guy 64 has held his tongue for sometime given his understandable displeasure with some of the earlier posts on this thread. I hope that maybe he might have something to add given the passage of time and the successful rescue of everyone involved. I believe that everyone on the board is truly interested in what happened and what might have been prevented to avoid the accident. I know that my worse fear as a boater is a similar incident perhaps at a time when the water is even colder and the boat traffic less active. Boat Guy 64 any input would be greatly appreciated.

Diver1111 09-16-2007 01:34 PM

Cobalt found

1 Attachment(s)
Garry Kozak forwarded this to me. Located 9-13-07.

ITD 09-16-2007 03:17 PM

Wow, looks like a picture from the moon. Good job guys. How deep is it?