Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > ForumFests > ForumFest VI (2009)
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Winnipesaukee.com’s ForumFest – How the Tradition Began

ForumFest got started on July 19. 2004 when Grant posted Winnipesaukee.com Forum Gathering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hey -- After all these years and posts on here, I wonder why we haven't staged a semi-official "gathering" somewhere during the summer...

Wouldn't it be cool to associate some faces to the names you've come to knwo through this forum? Personally, I'd like to meet (and thank) Don. And who wouldn't want to say "hey" to "The Eagle"???
The gathering idea was well received and the ideas started flying.

Gilly 20 was the first to suggest the gathering could be a fundraiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly 20 View Post
This is the neatest website in cyberspace. The folks on this forum are terrific- not to mention the great job the webmaster does!. I am all for a forum reunion and if we could make it a fundraiser, so much the better. I don't want to hear any excuses like "I can't make it!"-- because I will be comming from Florida!--Ah- love this forum, and love "God's country" that it addresses!
Grant’s ideas of what the gathering should be were grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Pythons, boats, PWCs, massive throngs of people...the Web-driven answer to Bike Week (without the arrests).

Wow -- this has the potential to evolve into Lakeapaloozah 2004.

We might have to rent out Brookwood Farm and invite the Allman Brothers to serve as official event crooners.

Know what would be cool? If someone had a big old island...and a microbrewery...and a connection with Los Lonely Boys...and...
Merrymeeting vetoes Lakeapaloozah as a name for the gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Sorry. Lakapolozza (or however you spell it) is already taken. That's the name for the annual Labor Day lake party at Merrymeeting. You can even buy hats and t-shirts with the name at the local marina.

I like the idea of a get-together though.
Mee-n-Mac works on a new name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
...we want a name that will last and we can take pride in if this comes off. I humbly off these few suggestions to spark some thoughts ...

Winnipalooza (to go with what's been mentioned), WinniWhoopla, WinniWingding
Winni Forum Frolic, Winni Forum Fiesta
Winnipamboree, Winnipesboree, Winnipescapade

[new idea but a bit 'sweet'] Winni Forum Frendezvous

personally I'd think some take-off on an Indian name for meeting (Winnipespowwow, aarrrggg) or such would be appropriate but I can't put it together.
Initially the fest was being planned as a water event. Mee-n-Mac realizes some forum regulars may not be boaters and proposes a rendezvous at a town dock.

Just Sold suggests "WinniGathering" and Grant suggests Lakestock.

Lakegeezer picks the date of September 11th. Poor Grant, who started this whole thing, is unable to make the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
With the posts about after Labor day, how about Saturday, the 11'th of September. Sort of a reunion to the flotilla that the members of the forum pulled together three years ago following the famous 9/11. Winter Harbor sounds great for a location. How many boats can fit in there?
DRH jumps in and suggests Cate Park in Wolfeboro and McDude offers to arrange the date and time.

Scott Hughes comes up with a catchy name, but Mee-n-Mac isn’t quite sure yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott hughes View Post
I say we call it forumfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
*How about (to be said with scary Friday 13'th intonation) WinniForumFest:Grant's Gathering (bwaaahaaa) for a name ? Next year it could be WinniForumFest:RG's Revenge (w/apologies to Rattlesnake Gal)
Get's us out of the whole I, II, III, IV ... thing which has be so done already
The first ForumFest was a huge success! We knew this was the beginning of a new tradition for Winnipesaukee.com.

It was great fun to put a face to the names. There were a few surprises too. Outlaw, whom we all thought was a man, was a woman!

Outlaw, McDude and Cabin Fever

We discovered that Lakegeezer was in no way geezer.

If you look real close you can kinda see him.

Roger Amsden of The Weirs Times showed up to cover our very first ForumFest.

Click here to go to picture in PhotoPost

Click here for 2004 ForumFest photos

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 05-20-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Add photos and links
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
callmeD (06-14-2009), Just Sold (05-20-2009), Sunset Bob (05-19-2009), Waterbaby (05-24-2009), webmaster (06-10-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Great thread idea - keep it coming!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow McDude - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Great thread idea - keep it coming!
I cannot take credit for the idea. The Webmaster is the brains behind it. He pointed out that newcomers may not have a good idea of what ForumFest is.

McDude, I think we need some of your history magic to brighten up this thread! I'm tired.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 05-19-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Add Comment
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Sunset Bob (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Well, let's see....it's already ForumFest VI? If memory serves correctly ForumFest II & IV were at Cate Park in Wolfeboro. I remember one year the organization that raffle funds went to was the NH Humane Society. Also at this time LakeGeezer started live-streaming the event and Quilt Lady's donation of a magnificant quilt to the raffle was something to look forward to! ForumFest III was held at Lakeshore Park in Gilford (near Ellacoya). SteveA and Carguy have places there and were able to secure the Historic Lakeshore Park Pavilion for the event.

What a magnificent building! Was this the year that all proceeds went to Pepper's charity....St. Baldrick's Society? Weather wasn't so great that year so it was a good thing we were inside......the food was DELICIOUS!!

Last year it was the Loon Preservation Society that hosted the event with all donations to the raffle turned over to them. I watched from home on live streaming video....pretty cool!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking ForumFest II

McDude, I hope you don’t mind, but I think that I will elaborate a little more for history sake.

After the wonderful success of the first ForumFest, I thought we would get a jump-start on the next. At the beginning of April 2005, a poll was started and ideas were kicked around. Scavenger hunts, poker runs and even the Mount were proposed. It took until August 17th to finally pin down the date and location.
(Maybe a poll isn’t the way to go?)

ForumFest II, A Tenth Anniversary of celebration of Winnipesaukee.com was finally off and running! Scheduled for Saturday, September 10th at 3:00 pm at Cate Park in Wolfeboro.

We still needed to come up with an idea of what to do with the money we would raise from our raffle. We thought after raising funds for a new WeirsCam that it was time for the upgraded server that Don, our Webmaster was wishing for. Our esteemed leader humbly declined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The regular members of this forum are the most generous people I've ever seen. Last year I was overwhelmed when the mere mention of upgrading the WeirsCAM resulted in $1400 in donations in just several weeks, including at the ForumFest I. When I mentioned a server upgrade this spring many let me know they were ready to chip in and a few even sent in unsolicited donations. Fortunately I was able to make an arrangement that paid for the server and its maintenance costs making any fundraising unnecessary.

Now that the WeirsCAM is upgraded and I have the new server (it'll be working soon) I'm not going to do any more fundraising, which I was never that comfortable with. If the organizers of the ForumFest II want to select another worthy Lakes Region charitable cause this time I'd certainly support it.
Then Hurricane Katrina hit the southern coast of the United States. Pepper realized this was a cause we could support and put for a plea to help the hurricane victims through the American Red Cross. Everyone loved the idea! Organization of the raffle began in earnest with Barbara as our leader. It was at this time that DRH’s wife, Peg, an avid quilt maker, thoughtfully donated one of her handmade quilts to help raise funds for those affected by Katrina.

ForumFest II didn’t turn out to be a huge affair, but we had a fantastic time just the same.

Our Webmaster, Don was able to join the festivities.

Finally meeting many of his long time forum friends.

Thanks to a wonderful forum member the American Red Cross received over $1,350 from the generous people at Winnipesaukee.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
ForumFest II was indeed a success, and a great time was had by all. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new friends and enjoying the company of all.

The generosity of the members of this forum family never ceases to amaze me, and yesterday was no exception! As of the end of the raffle we had gathered a total of $392.00. However, a much larger sum will actually be sent to help those on the Gulf coast. How, you may ask? Through the ingenuity of a very special and trusted forum member, that's how!

This member will be facilitating the donation through his employer, which will TRIPLE (yes, triple!) the amount of the donation! In addition, this member is adding more of his personal funds to the kitty, and the end result after tripling will be a total of $1,350.00! How cool is that?

Thank you to all who attended and gave so generously (okay, I admit it, we were all trying to win Peg's quilt). Yesterday was a day I will never forget. Now, if I can sneak over to Rattlesnake Island and figure out how to make off with that quilt, I'll bet Mee would make it worth my while!

Mrs. DRH becomes Quilt Lady and finally signs on as an official member of the forum.

Rattlesnake Gal wins the grand prize quilt.

ForumFest II was a huge success.

Click here for the ForumFest II Gallery
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

I absolutely love to see Pepper's smile!

And Peg's quilts... I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see this year's quilt... As a beginner quilter (read: slower than molasses flowing up-hill, in February) I am in awe of the great work that Peg puts into her quilts! WOW!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Default ForumFest III

ForumFest III is not mentioned until July 27, 2006. There is talk of having it at the bar at the Winnipesaukee Pier so that the WeirsCam can see us during the gathering. The idea of holding it on the Mount pops up again.

Winni suggests the fundraiser to benefit St. Baldrick’s Foundation.

This continues the fundraiser that Pepper had already started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
To all of you who have become accustomed to seeing me with my wild red mane atop my head - prepare yourselves, because tonight it will be shaved away!

At 7:00PM this evening, on the front patio at Waldo's, my head will be shaved as a fundraising effort for St. Baldrick's Foundation. St. Baldrick's is a nationwide organization that raises funds for children's cancer research, education and treatment.

There is a large water bottle on the counter at Waldo's, and folks have already begun to donate to the cause. By the end of the season I hope to raise $10,000! I am doing this in memory of my beloved sister who passed away this past November, and I hope to raise as much as possible in her honor.

If anyone would like to witness the event, be sure to be there before 7:00! But be sure to wear your shades - - I don't want my gleaming bald head to blind anyone!
Pepper grabs hold of the ForumFest reins once again and proposes having the fest at Weirs Beach, giving the “other side of the lake” and opportunity to host the event. With help from DRH, the date of Sunday, September 23rd is finally picked. Grant, who started it all, cannot attend… again.

Quilt Lady donates another gorgeous quilt!
For the first time, Pepper offers pre-buying raffle tickets.

As the date approaches, it looks like we are in for foul weather. Steve A. comes to the rescue with the use of the Historic Lake Shore Park Pavilion.

We have a wonderful turnout!

Lakegeezer begins the use of ForumFest WebCam

Carguy shares the old movies of the Mt. Washingtons on LSP big screen television.

We taste Steve A’s chili for the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
The chili that SteveA served at FFIII was delicious. I ususlly don't eat chili because I don't like the beans, but I sure liked his chili. I think it was the best chili that I ever ate, bar none.

There were a record number of donations for the ForumFest raffle.

$1,335.00 was raised for St. Baldrick's Foundation at Winnipesaukee.com's ForumFest III!

The Grand prize quilt was won by rrr (left), who was unable to attend.
The quilt was awarded to her on 9/30/06 at Waldo Peppers by Pepper and the quilt's maker, Quilt Lady.

Click here for the ForumFest III Gallery
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow ForumFest - Definition

ForumFest

Main Entry: fo-rum-fest
Function: noun
Pronunciation: \’for-em fest\

ForumFest is the informal name given to what has become an annual gathering of Winnipesaukee.com Forum members. ForumFest is a great place to meet other Forum members, to match faces to screen names and avatars and to have a great time conversing with other Lake Winnipesaukee lovers. Usually a raffle is held to support a local cause.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking ForumFest IV

Island Girl takes a turn gets an early start and at organizing ForumFest IV.
On March 24, 2007 she makes the announcement that ForumFest IV will be held on September 8, 2007 at Cate Park in Wolfeboro.

Quilt Lady creates another one of a kind masterpiece quilt.
She decides that her choice of charity is the New Hampshire Humane Society in Laconia.
Everyone thinks the idea is purr-fect.

Forum members are quite generous with their raffle donations.

Grant cannot make it to ForumFest for the fourth year!

Setting up at Cate Park

Lakegeezer has technical trouble and cannot get the ForumFest Cam to work.

Many people missed the group photo because they left before it was taken.
The Webmaster and Sunset Bob were both missing from this shot.
Skipper of the Sea Que's daughter Lauren added them in for us.

Steve A's chili was back by popular demand.

Attendees at ForumFest IV had a great time and we succeeded in raising $586 for the NH Humane Society.

Rose wins the grand prize quilt!

Another great year!

Click here for the ForumFest IV Gallery
Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking ForumFest V

Inquiries for ForumFest V started at the end of May 2008. It seemed that no one was going to step forward to make it happen.
Steve A. suggests the Loon Center multiple times and finally at the end of August a plan is in place.

ForumFest V was to be held at The Loon Preservation Center in Moultonborough on September 20, 2008.

Argies’s Wife takes the lead and becomes the ForumFest leader of 2008.

The Webmaster talks to the crowd.

Some of ForumFest V's raffle items.

The ForumFest Cam can be seen just above Redwing and Mr and Mrs Dave35

Darcy from Love Bites Pastry Shop presents the Webmaster with a one of a kind special creation for ForumFest V and the 13th anniversary of the Winnipesaukee.com web site.

For the second time rrr wins Quilt Lady's beautiful handmade grand prize quilt!

A total of $771 was raised by Winnipesaukee.com and donated to The Loon Preservation Committee.

Another year, another success!

Click here for the ForumFest V Gallery

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 05-20-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add amount raised
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Absolutely fantastic job RG. You bring so much to this forum. Thank you for you great contributions. And what can be said about McDude? Just amazing amount of history put right here for all to see. You guys need to take a bow!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
DRH

Thumbs up Well Done!!

What a great ForumFest history lesson! Excellent job, RG!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Argie's Wife

I think I'm going to give rrr my money for raffle tix and let her purchase them for me... she seems to have "luck of the Irish" or something when it comes to winning - got a quilt 2x's!

I think it was Steve who donated them last year, but we won the free parking passes for Manchester Fishercats games. Our oldest son, Kris, bought tix for him and his dad to see the game and fireworks on Saturday. Those parking passes will be put to good use this season!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I!

I think it was Steve who donated them last year, but we won the free parking passes for Manchester Fishercats games. Our oldest son, Kris, bought tix for him and his dad to see the game and fireworks on Saturday. Those parking passes will be put to good use this season!
Actually AW that was me.You'll be parking in my lot at my mill building 55 South Commercial.Head right to the stadium at the end of S Commercial and we are the last building on the right.Our lot sits right next to the stadium.I'll be there working either the entrance or the lot with my sister.Look for the big blonde guy and make sure to say hi.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

(Sorry I messed up the name... knew it began w/ an 'S'... )

Hubby and Son #1 are looking forward to the game!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
Island Girl

Default Many More Pictures

Great job, RG... if y'all need to see more pictures of ForumFests, we have lots of them in Photopost

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15137

and because we could not wait, we had a mini fest in March of 2006 at Waldo Peppers

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15078

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Meredith lady

Wink great history

I have never attended the forum fest so I am loving looking back on the history of it. Thanks so much to all of you that have posted all the "past" info and pictures. Now I can't wait to go to the Fest on the Mount in August!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Mini Fests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Great job, RG... if y'all need to see more pictures of ForumFests, we have lots of them in Photopost

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15137

and because we could not wait, we had a mini fest in March of 2006 at Waldo Peppers

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15078

IG
Glad everyone is enjoying this thread. It should make coverage by the Citizen easier too!

I was sure that R-Guy and I went to Pepper's Mini Forum Fest, but then read that I was sick. I know that I made a different one though. Looking at your pictures, it looked like lots of fun! Those who attended had fun.

I do remember attending a gathering at Pepper's. Most of us had a lobsta roll and there was a cake celebrating a Winnipesaukee.com anniversary. Does anyone else remember this?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Island Girl

Default 10th anniversary

I will look for the pics

....... Make Lemonade
Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Actually AW that was me.You'll be parking in my lot at my mill building 55 South Commercial.Head right to the stadium at the end of S Commercial and we are the last building on the right.Our lot sits right next to the stadium.I'll be there working either the entrance or the lot with my sister.Look for the big blonde guy and make sure to say hi.

Argie and the oldest Arg-ling had a great time last night! Argie says you took good care of them - THANK YOU! Those game tix were Argie's b-day present from the boy - he was so thrilled to go!

I guess the game went late and it got pretty chilly - they didn't make it thru the fireworks but I heard it was a good game! Arg-ling came home, fell into bed in his clothes, and slept fully dressed he was so tired!

A great time by all! Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
Argie's Wife

Question: When did winnipesaukee.com start? And was there a forum back when it started?

(Pardon my ignorance... it just occurred to me that I wasn't aware of how long this on-line community has been around!)

THANKS!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #22
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Question: When did winnipesaukee.com start? And was there a forum back when it started?
Remember the birthday cake at the ForumFest last year? The forum was added a few years later.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
Argie's Wife

Oh, of course.

Doesn't everyone use a cake for a form of reference? '
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:

(Pardon my ignorance... it just occurred to me that I wasn't aware of how long this on-line community has been around!)

THANKS!!!
My last hijack on this thread. Met your son and husband AW. He made a point to say hi as I was buzzing aroung my lot on the Segway. They were very happy with where I parked them. Actually it was all about the timing. They were as close to the stadium as one can park! Glad they had fun.