Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Thumbs up Karen And Barry's

Hey all,

I just talked to my dad and he went to Karen and Barry's Thursday night. He said the restaurant was quiet and the service couldn't have been better, but that's usually the case when the staff has only a few customers to attend to.

Anyway, my mom noticed that the place had been refurbished since they last ate there (over a year ago) and that it was really clean. I know people complained about this issue before so I just wanted to let everyone know that the restaurant is in great shape now.

He had the shrimp scampi and he said it was the best he ever had. The shrimp were so big it took three large bites to finish just one. And I guess the caesar salad was so delicious that my mom wouldn't let the waitress take it away after they had eaten it-she wanted to sop up the dressing with her bread.

My dad's one of those guys where quanity is as important as quality and he was very impressed with both.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

And no, I don't own/work at/or am affiliated with Karen and Barry's. I've never even been there myself.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
AltonBay54

Default Thank you JK

JK
Thank you for posting that experience on Karen and Barry's, or rather your parent's experience. I have heard mixed reviews on K & B's as far as word of mouth goes, and I have been looking forward to trying it. However, that thread posted a while back really bothered me. In regards to the owners smoking as they prepare food, the cleanliness of the restaurant, and the freshness of the food. Although it seems like the individual never really elaborated on their experience. Can anyone who has visited K & B's tell me if they have an open kitchen? How would a diner actually "see" the chef/owner smoking as they prepare food? I really don't understand. I can't fathom an owner of a restaurant would smoke in the window of an open kitchen in clear view of his guests. Also did anyone actually investigate the health inspection reports of K & B's? I remember in a response from the owner in that same thread encouraging concerned patrons to view their scores with the health department. Last, how do I get to K & B's, and can anyone suggest some good dinners, or give me a quick run-down of their menu. I really want to give K & B's a try, but like I said that post did concern me a bit. Anyone have any recent, positive experiences they would like to share?
AltonBay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
jkjoshuatree

Talking Hey Alton

You're welcome for the post.

The previous post regarding K and B's being dirty bothered me a bit too. And I even told my dad about it when he said he went there.

He said the cleaniness of the restaurant was the first thing my mom noticed...almost like they've done the interior over (or maybe just gave it a good cleaning, waxed the floors, and added a fresh coat of paint-I don't know, like I said, I've never been there myself).

Whatever the case, I'm excited to try it myself.

As far as the menu, it's mostly Italian but has steak and fish dishes too. And it's located on Main Street in Meredith (just behind the Inn at Mills Falls-the one up on the hill).

When I try it myself I'll post a review. Please do the same if/when you try it.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
mets3007

You cant see the kitchen from the Dining Room, the food is good but not great, its good if you like food with lots of garlic. I wont go back there since my preference is a food with little flavor and this place had a little too much for my liking.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
tricia1218

Talking

We finally made it to Karen & Barry's on Friday night, I belive it was Karen who served us, she was really nice. I had the shrimp scampi, and there could not have been more shrimp, the flavor was great, I say the more garlic the better, and this had plenty. there were 4 of us eating and everyone enjoyed what they ordered. I read something about the cleaniness in earlier posts, and thought it was clean. I also did not see anyone smoking. I would recommend Karen & Barry's.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
wMw

Default An unexpected treat...

My brother and his new girlfriend paid me a surprise visit on Saturday. They were baby-sitting her crotchedy old aunt and thought a quick drive to the lake (from Boston) might make her less cranky. Well, it didn't really work until we took her out to dinner. We were the first to arrive at Karen & Barry's that night. The bread basket came quickly and soon auntie was asking for more. Then the food came. AWESOME!! and not one little complaint from auntie (if you knew this woman you would know that Karen & Barry's had just received the highest compliment available). My only complaint - I'm still trying to get the stain off my shirt from my clumsy splash of the yummy lemony-wine sauce on the Chicken Frances.

On one hand I want to tell everyone who loves garlic, lemon and wine, among other great menu items, to eat at Karen and Barry's. On the other, I want to keep it my own little secret so we can always get a table...or one of those cozy little booths for two.

Can't wait 'til someone else pays me a surprise visit so I can go again!!

wMw

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Talking This will be your own secret..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMw
Can't wait 'til someone else pays me a surprise visit so I can go again!!wMw
pssssssttttt......... just pretend you have a surprise visitor, and go to K&B's "just because"! We go cause we just like it there!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
gonetoolong

Default Karen & Barrys

My wife & I went there a couple of weeks ago & it was terrific ! The veal parm was very tender, the sauce was great and the service was very good.
Can't say enough good things about it !
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Uncle Fun

Default What now???

http://www.ganongrealestate.com/prop...ropMLS=2670927

Click on the above link and you will see a surprise... Karen & Barry's is up for sale... Last time we went we had a large party of 14 and they were closing up for the night, but Karen still accommodated us and stayed open... Who else does that??? I had the Chix Parm and loved it.. My wife had the Eggplant and didn't like it... So it is up to you to try it and decide for yourself...
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
wires1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fun

Click on the above link and you will see a surprise... Karen & Barry's is up for sale... Last time we went we had a large party of 14 and they were closing up for the night, but Karen still accommodated us and stayed open... Who else does that??? I had the Chix Parm and loved it.. My wife had the Eggplant and didn't like it... So it is up to you to try it and decide for yourself...
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
wires1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Hermit Cover

Unhappy Sad...

Perhaps Karen and Barry's will go the way of several other restaurants that go on the market and don't sell...wasn't that the way with Sawyer's? Makes Mrs. HC and I sad to see this. They are one of our fave's!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Waterbaby

Default Real Estate Only............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fun

My take on the listing is that it is only the real estate, as the listing talks only about the property itself and not the business; the listing description says "currently operated as a restaurant".

Anyone want to call Ganong and find out more? Or call Karen and Barry's and find out more? I would, but am a bit short on time at the moment............. OR!!!!!!! Here's a thought! Anyone want to buy the property and keep K&B as a tenant? Just a thought!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
sa meredith

Default where?

Can someone tell me exactly where this place is? I dock in Meredith all the time, and go to many restaurants in that area, but somehow have not come across this place...probably just never noticed.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
TomC

Default up the hill on main street

if you stay near the docks and resorts you won't stumble across it
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
BLUESDUDE

Was it ever determined if this place is/was for sale???
BLUESDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Silver Duck

It was for sale, but Karen told me that she bought it herself. So, not to worry, fellow Karen & Barry's fans, it seems like we'll be able to continue enjoying thier food!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
Rinkerfam

We, and by we I mean my wife and I and three children under 8, enjoyed another vacation dinner at K and B's. We were the first in the restaurant that August evening, which I think was advantageous to subsequent diners Anyhow, food was tasty and service was prompt. This is definitely a kid friendly restaurant with food that is considerably better than most falling into said category. I hope it will be there for years to come!!