Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Help.... We need to know....

The Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club is considering outsourcing the marina/club management with Irwin’s Professional Management Team. I know Mountain View Yacht club and Southdown Shores are presently under this management and have been for some time. Could you tell us how you like the deal now? Are we making a big mistake here or are all our worries over with this professional management team?

We have read the archives, but that was then. We need to know how things are now to get a better picture. You can email me if you want to take it off line.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Bluemoon

Default Re: Help.... We need to know....

As a boater who has utilized the sevices of both WCYC and MVYC I think you are moving in the right direction. Professional professional professional sums up the Irwin team. They are the best, BUT...work a good deal for yourselves going in because Irwin sure will make a lucrative deal for themselves. Determine how much money they'll be relieving you of- and whether it's worth it. Simply a word to the wise.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Dock Hand

Default Re: Help.... Watch your wallet....

I agree with Bluemoon 100%.

Irwin does a great job and their on site manager Carol is the best.

However, the Board of Directors (motivated by the President of MVYC, guess what type of boat he has) made a deal with Irwin which gives them way more money than necessary and has kept the club from making many improvements because of the financial constraints it now faces. When the first 5 year deal was just over 4 years old they renewed it for another 5 years. This was done in mid winter (February, 9 months before the first contract expiration)with no notification to the members. It could have easily been held until, and discussed at, the annual membership meeting in May but was not. Why?

This contract grants Irwin:
1. The first $75,000 per year in rack storage, and a split of the proceeds after that.
2. The first $50,00 per year in inside storage. (that's right, if I store my boat in my building Irwin gets the money)!
3. They use our travel lift, to take our boats out of the water, on our land, and charge the same rate as any other marina on the lake.
4. The use our gas dock and our pumps and get to keep all of the money generated by gas sales.
5. They are allowed to run a service facility (think 284 boats in slips as well as over 100 rack stored boats) with no overhead (building, heat, lights etc.)
6. Approximately $40,000 to $50,000 per year in commissions for renting out the slips not being used by their owners.

Add this up. I have and it sure seems excessive!

SHAME ON THE MVYC BOARD OF DIRECTORS!

You should feel comfortable with Irwins, they provide an excellent service. Just make sure you make a better deal for yourselves than the Mountain View board did. I don't blame Irwins at all.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
observer

Default Re: Help.... We need to know....

My opinion is that outsourcing is a pricey event. What we have is another business that helps the local economy hiring an outside source to manage the Club. It will cost the members a lot more than they are paying now just because the Club does not want to deal with help. Look how much it costs for the town with their contracts with the Sewer Plant and the Electric Co. because management does not want to deal with labor.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
Gilligan

Question Irwin's as management

Does your yacht club expect Irwin's to manage a repair facility or just the club property? The unsatisfied at Mountain View seem to have two seperate areas of concern. The boat repair facility and the general club management.

Generally people seem pleased at how Irwin's takes care of things at Mountain View YC. They know how to carry out the dictates of the board of directors. They know who to hire (out source) to mow the lawn, clean the bath houses, fix this and that. The have a great office staff and know how to handle paperwork. It is up to your group at Corinthian to decide if their price is worth it. They certainly have the expertise and they charge for it.

The most concern I've heard is about the boat repair work Irwin's does at Mountain View. Some love it some don't. It seems to be getting better but I haven't heard a difinitive word on the new fixit group.

You want to relax and have peace of mind at your yacht club. How much should that cost?