Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Mice in Basement.

OK. This has probably been addressed before.

Anyway, what do most use for mice in basement, crawl space, garage?

To clarify. To get rid of mice. Not to collect as pets.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
OK. This has probably been addressed before.

Anyway, what do most use for mice in basement, crawl space, garage?

To clarify. To get rid of mice. Not to collect as pets.
A really angry CAT

Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
ITD

Seal all holes no matter how small. Pay particular attention to where wires, pipes, sillcocks and other things penetrate walls. Seal all gaps under outside doors. Basically eliminate their means of getting in. Check outside corners, builders sometimes leave large gaps here, otherwise known as mouse highways. I use canned foam insulation for the holes. Start by going around the spaces during the day with the lights out and look for daylight coming through. If daylight gets thru then mice can too. The more diligent you are finding the holes the better off you will be.

I suggest you use traps rather than poison to get the ones that are in already. Usually if you see one, there are ten more around. You can use poison but with traps you can get the dead ones out of the house.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

Ditto what ITD said. We had mice in our house for years. I drove myself crazy looking around the foundation and sealing everything I could find. Still they came in. Finally, years later, we did a remodel that uncovered one very small hole near the sill plate. Once this one was closed, never had a mouse in the house again.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

To eliminate the ones that are there, plain old fashion traps. I took care of three in the garage the past two days.

The old style traps work fine if you use needle nose pliers to bend the trigger catch a little to create a hair trigger. Harder to set but very effective. For bait I use Jiff peanut butter. These lakes region mice are very sophisticated and will not get caught dead eating cheap store brand peanut butter.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
To eliminate the ones that are there, plain old fashion traps. I took care of three in the garage the past two days.

The old style traps work fine if you use needle nose pliers to bend the trigger catch a little to create a hair trigger. Harder to set but very effective. For bait I use Jiff peanut butter. These lakes region mice are very sophisticated and will not get caught dead eating cheap store brand peanut butter.
steel wool in the holes works!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
dpg

Won't they chew through a hole that just has the foam insulation?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Won't they chew through a hole that just has the foam insulation?
Hasn't happened yet. The mouse highway in my lake house was due to a plumber drilling two 2 inch diameter holes for 2 half inch pipes thru a wall. Sealed it with foam about 9 years ago, no mice since.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default mice bait

We use mice bait you can buy at the hardware store. I can't find the box but it's green wax like blocks. Mice eat it they drink water they die. We use it for chipmunks as well. We put it on the sill in the basement, they will find it.
Make sure you keep it and any other rodent killing product away from your animals. They also love this stuff.
We tried it on a ground hog in Maine once. Stuffed a bunch down his hole then covered it up. Not sure if it worked but when we returned the hole was still plugged.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
bclaker

We had them for ten years, since we moved here and haven't had any since we stopped feeding the birds. You might try fishing for them. A few years ago when we went up to the Vermont hunting camp, we found a very smelly one hanging on a fly fishing line about 2 feet from the floor. He apparently jumped from a cabinet to grab the fly and got caught.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Another thing

And this works very well I’ve been told. Put about 3-4 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket and pour in a bunch of sunflower seeds. Mice jump in and drown.
Dump the bucket and repeat as needed.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Default Big no to rat poisen

Unless you like the smell of rotting mice,never use rat/mice poisen in your house.I made that mistake many moons ago and had to live with that stench for months.Most times they end up back inside a wall to die there and believe me that the smell comes right through and is disgusting.Use traps and disguard.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
NoBozo

This story is 63 years old. When I was a child living in a little town in Vermont..in 1950 or so, in a house that had been built in about 1807: We had mice. The final solution was a poison that was smeared on pieces of bread and left around which the mice seemed to like.

Once the mouse took the bait, he would get VERY Thirsty and need to find water. If no water was found in the house, (The key) he would leave the house to find it. We had a stream maybe 100 yards down behind the house. The mice would head down there..so we thought..OR.. wherever..And take the water. Taking the water was the final element/catalyst required in the mouse's demise.

Bottom Line: The mouse left the house to drink the water and die somewhere else. No more mice and no smell of decaying mice in the house

That STUFF was SO Effecient...it's probably illegal today. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Same stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
This story is 63 years old. When I was a child living in a little town in Vermont..in 1950 or so, in a house that had been built in about 1807: We had mice. The final solution was a poison that was smeared on pieces of bread and left around which the mice seemed to like.

Once the mouse took the bait, he would get VERY Thirsty and need to find water. If no water was found in the house, (The key) he would leave the house to find it. We had a stream maybe 100 yards down behind the house. The mice would head down there..so we thought..OR.. wherever..And take the water. Taking the water was the final element/catalyst required in the mouse's demise.

Bottom Line: The mouse left the house to drink the water and die somewhere else. No more mice and no smell of decaying mice in the house

That STUFF was SO Effecient...it's probably illegal today. NB
That is the same theory with the bait I just recommended. Unless you have drinking water they can get to in the house they tend not to die in the house.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation I'm With SIKSUKR

Years ago we used Decon in our travel trailer. No water was available to them inside. The trailer was close to a stream though. Anyway, what a bloody gross mess I had to clean come spring. Decon... never again!!!!!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
SAB1

Exactly what Belemont Resident said. Get the mouse baits green blocks. Some companies sell them in self contained palstic boxes that mice climb into so you don;t even have to touch them. You can also build plywood bait stations (sealed boxes) with holes at each end for the mice to get in. You can use a sheet rock screw to screw the bait to the bottom of the box so they cant take it way when it gets small. I run these under my camp all summer long. Kill the mice all summer long and you wont have a problem in the fall/winter. The bait stations also are another layer of insurance if you have a dog. They shouldnt be alble to access the bait if you screw the top down to the sides of the box. DCon or Mouse Bait makes the rodents seek water. They should exit the house in search of water and die outside.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
friar92

Default mice control

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ is the website i bot the self contained plastic traps with green poison. Did the job, highly recommend. as someone with young children, was impressed with the traps, virtually impossible to open by hand, need a special key they give you.

put in discount code givemea5 and they will knock 5 bucks off your order.
friar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to friar92 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-26-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Mouse service is available..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
A really angry CAT
Maya, Yuki or Truman... discounted package deal for all three. Results guaranteed!

..and they work for peanuts... well actually Fancy Fest..

Maya
Name:  Maya.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  35.3 KB
Truman
Name:  Truman.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  42.8 KB
Yuki
Name:  Yuki.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  80.4 KB

Last edited by SteveA; 06-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveA For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Chickie

Default The Enforcers!

A formidable looking crew for sure, especially Truman. If I were a mouse I would be shaking in my boots. I will consider hiring them in the fall when those pesky rodents arrive and start setting up housekeeping in my basement. The only question remaining is how they would relate to Ms. Calico (alias Big Mama), the self-proclaimed queen of this domain and most importantly, she to them?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote